Menu

Can we talk about reinventing ourselves?

SparklyUnicorn

You know..when your situation changes (you are no longer homeschooling or your kids are much more independent or whatever your situation).  I just don't know what I want to do next.  I am not quite there yet, but I want to start working on it since I have more time to do so.

I haven't worked a paid job in many years.  I have a BA in Psychology, a certificate in medical assisting, a certificate in culinary arts, and college credits on top of that.  I don't see medical assisting as an option because it's been too long.  Culinary is always a possibility because one doesn't really need formal training, but it's a hard physical job so I am not so sure about that one (but it's not off the table in terms of a possibility).  I could work on getting a master's degree.  But in what?  And what would I do?  At 43 I still do not know what I want to be when I grow up.

I'm not looking necessarily to make lots of money, but I am in practical mode.  I don't want to spend yet more money on schooling without at least a decent plan of making enough to justify the expense.

So please...talk about this and share your ideas/thoughts. 

• Like 3

I am thinking of going back into the field of Big Data. I’ll probably need an employee referral more than I need certifications. Data mining is just something I enjoyed even when not paid to do that work (but I ended up getting a pay raise when my ex-boss incorporated that into my former job scope).

With all the data farms around, might not be as hard to re-enter into that field with connections.

• Like 2

I am working on my re-invention myself.  But I have a few years on you - I am 61, been home for 20 years.  If I could do it all over again, I would have worked to keep up certain skills over all those years.

I've read some books on the topic, and taken some personality-type tests that link with types of jobs.  Pretty standard stuff and nothing surprising.  Right now I am taking some classes in Excel and polishing my Word skills.  Those didn't even exist when I started homeschooling, but I have used a program similar to Word so it's not completely unfamiliar.  

Another thing I've done - and I'm pretty sure you won't go this route, Sparkly - was to join Toastmasters to refresh my public speaking skills and get out and about with working people, making some connections.  

I've seen the recommendation to volunteer at the type of organization you'd like to work at.  Not necessarily a viable option for many types of jobs!

With a cert in medical assisting I bet you could get into medical receptionist or admin.  When I look at those jobs, knowledge of medical terminology is always a requirement.

• Like 2

Well, a lot depends on your need or otherwise for money. If you are comfortable, don't need the money, but it'd be nice, go, follow your bliss. Do a Masters in whatever takes your fancy :)

If you need the cash, look for a niche market. As an older woman, you need to be able to market yourself to a niche audience. Mine is 'homeschoolers and ppl failed by the school system who have kids with learning disorders affecting literacy and who don't want exam coaching but foundational skills and strategies and who will pay a decent amount per hour'. 

Look for areas where you already have expertise (and hence, authority) or can easily gain some. 

I don't need the money EXCEPT my personal criteria is that I can pay back whatever it costs to get there.  KWIM?

And I don't want a crap job just for the money.  I've done enough of those in my life and I'd do them if I had to, but I don't.  So...no. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 3

I am working on my re-invention myself.  But I have a few years on you - I am 61, been home for 20 years.  If I could do it all over again, I would have worked to keep up certain skills over all those years.

I've read some books on the topic, and taken some personality-type tests that link with types of jobs.  Pretty standard stuff and nothing surprising.  Right now I am taking some classes in Excel and polishing my Word skills.  Those didn't even exist when I started homeschooling, but I have used a program similar to Word so it's not completely unfamiliar.  

Another thing I've done - and I'm pretty sure you won't go this route, Sparkly - was to join Toastmasters to refresh my public speaking skills and get out and about with working people, making some connections.  

I've seen the recommendation to volunteer at the type of organization you'd like to work at.  Not necessarily a viable option for many types of jobs!

With a cert in medical assisting I bet you could get into medical receptionist or admin.  When I look at those jobs, knowledge of medical terminology is always a requirement.

Medical admin does interest me. 

I'm 45 and don't know what I want to be when I grow up, either.

With DS in school now I'm definitely looking for a part time job, but I'm not sure what that first step should be. I volunteer at a bookshop and wish I could get paid for it, but bookstores are in low supply around here. I'd love a library job and I'm keeping my eyes open; my volunteer stuff would provide me with connections and experience. Other than that possible eventual option, I'm at a loss.

Looking forward to hearing how others handle it.

• Like 2

I'd love a library job and I'm keeping my eyes open; my volunteer stuff would provide me with connections and experience.

Let the librarians know you would be keen on a job there. The libraries here have job openings now and then, and those volunteers and part time staff who expressed interest tend to get first dibs before the job postings were published.

• Like 5

I've been thinking about this a lot; in fact, it's probably obviouus from the patterns of my posts. I am not sure what to do, either. I want to do something! i want to make money and be occupied doing something the better part of most days. I want to wear good clothes and eat nice lunches in interesting settings. I miss some things about when I worked in The City - though that is also when I forget about the 1 1/2 hour commute one way. I forget how bad it sucked when we had six inches of snow but I was supposed to come in anyway.

I don't know, but you're not alone in wanting to reinvent yourself.

• Like 5

Let the librarians know you would be keen on a job there. The libraries here have job openings now and then, and those volunteers and part time staff who expressed interest tend to get first dibs before the job postings were published.

I have let a couple people there know, but I should start advertising myself more.

• Like 1

I'm starting the next chapter now. For me, it was obvious to go back to teaching but in a part-time kind of way. I started last winter with taking courses to renew my teaching credential--basically 3 community college courses in almost anything. I did college algebra, public speaking, and business calculus, one class at a time. I enjoyed it. If it weren't for the $500 per course, I could just be a part-time student forever. I also got my sub license last spring. Because of the timing of the coursework, there was no way I could get the credential renewed for this school year., so I am subbing. I have to work around disabled dd's school schedule but I'm really enjoying working again. I got to grade math tests yesterday and that just made me happy. And I like getting paid (though I won't see a significant paycheck until 11/30). I want to earn my own spending money--have funds for Christmas, new wardrobe pieces, and some household projects. And pay back the $2000 I've spent on courses and licensing fees this year.

• Like 2

I hear you! I have always continued working, but find that with both kids gone, I have time I am not filling in a way that makes me feel fulfilled. I have thought of getting another degree, but have no local option and would not enjoy an online program. I am currently taking an online course through Coursera which I enjoy (but which does not earn credit.) And I have become more serious about working on my writing.

No ideas for you, but just wanted to say you are not alone.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I have no regrets about any of my career or educational choices, but personally, the older I get the more I feel like I would want to do something less academic and more artistic or something.  I have 2 doctorate degrees but I have a lot of hobbies like weaving, sewing, organic gardening, watercolor painting etc., and I sometimes think that if I had to do it over again maybe I should have just chosen to make a career out of a hobby.  I really have enjoyed my career though so it's hard to say.  I mean before I took time off for homeschool I seriously loved my career, but I wonder if I should have been an organic gardener and spent my days outdoors instead LOL.  Anyway, I think my point is that if I were in your position I think I'd really focus on picking something I enjoyed a lot.  I think the older I get the more I feel like life is short so we should make sure we are really enjoying the times that we can as much as we can.

• Like 4

I thought about teaching (mainly so I could go overseas and not just be a permanent tourist), but I need a brand new degree in NY state and I just don't want to spend the $ (and also because I don't agree on principle).

I think once you've done something for a while or are good at something it's actually really hard to do something else. Blank slates are better, maybe?

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

I'm working on that.  I'm currently taking classes at the community college in order to have the pre-req's necessary to apply to the Occupational Therapy Assistant program.

I have a BS in Business Admin and Finance from ages ago.  It would be difficult at my age to get back on that track after years at home. I could do it, but after looking around I decided on this.  With this degree I can work, make a decent amount of money and can know I can find a job at any age.  By the time I finish the program I'll be over 50.  If we move in 10 years and I needed or wanted to work, I could.  

I'm excited about it.  I just put my application in for the program. Fingers crossed that I get in.  It's super competetive.

• Like 4

I am far away from an empty nest, but I’ve thought about it before. My degree is in family and consumer sciences (home ec teacher), but I don’t think I want to teach high school or middle school. I like the idea of becoming Montessori certified and working at a Montessori school. I also plan on being the coolest grandma ever, so there’s also that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm kind of struggling in this area too, even though I'm not really close to being done. It seems homeschooling is preparing me for a second career of teaching kids. I like teaching *my* kids, but in general I don't enjoy teaching and I don't enjoy working with kids. And I'm a germaphobe. Of course, I have a degree in teaching the only subject that I outsource.

I have a bit of cubicle envy these days. I'd like to be a nameless, faceless cog in a machine instead of the whole damn machine.

• Like 5

I was there a few years ago. I had hoped to be able to go back to school, myself, once I was done homeschooling, to smooth my career change/reinvention/re-entry. (I have a B.A. in English, but had considered either a masters or a second bachelors in a different field.) That turned out not to be a possibility, and I had to drop back and punt.

I was down to one kiddo at home, and he was doing all of his schoolwork online. I had to be physically present to make sure he actually did the work and stayed on track, but there was nothing to really involve my brain or hold my attention. So, I started working just a few hours a week tutoring online while I was sitting there keeping my son company. I also used that time to refresh my tech skills, taking free classes (online and at my local library) in all of the Microsoft Office apps. I did a few MOOC-type courses, too,  in anything education-related. 

All told, by the time my son graduated, I had a year of very part-time but recent work experience and some updated training to perk up my resume. I parlayed that into a second part-time job doing tutoring and test prep at a strip-mall center and just kept working my way up and around from there.

At this point, three years after my son graduated, I'm working 32 hours a week as a technology trainer with the county library. I hope to transition to full-time eventually. I like my job and the organization and hope to hang out there for the 15 or so years until retirement.

Although I've had to give up on the master's or second bachelor's, I have earned a certificate through the continuing education division of our state university and am working on earning a credential through a professional organization for trainers. I'm already thinking about what educational/training goal I will tackle next.

It's not what I hoped, but I'm making it work.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 7

Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up too! I have never really stopped working but I want to be in a different field. Not sure how to work part time, homeschool, and go back to school myself though. Especially not with all the chauffeuring😱

I have wavered back and forth between a few options, namely an accountant (the most practical), a librarian (not at all practical in this job market although might be a possibility) or a therapist (probably way more school than I have time for).

I have had this debate since my youngest was a toddler. He is in middle school and I still haven't reinvented myself. Sometimes I wonder if I missed my window.

• Like 1

I don't want a lot of responsibility and I also don't want to work for an organization whose only purpose is to make money so the CEO can get super rich.

Option 1:

I live near a tourist town and thought it might be nice to work for a little shop in the town.  I don't want to own a shop, but I'd like to work directly with the owners and help them have a successful store.  The problem is that there's probably no money in that.

Then again, it doesn't have to be a tourist shop.  I wouldn't mind doing office work for a small office-type business.  I'd like to work directly with the owner, or one level down from the owner, instead of being 50 layers down. I've worked for small companies and loved them, and then the small companies got bought up by big companies and it was awful.  I don't like being one of the turtles at the bottom of the pile.  (Yertle the Turtle reference.)  In a big company, the people on the floor doing the work are never listened to and lots of silly decisions come down from the top from people who *think* they know how to do the job day-to-day, but they don't.  Just watch one episode of Undercover Boss and you'll see what I mean.

Or if it's a big company, but the offices are tiny, that might work.  Our local Edward Jones office has one financial guy in there and his administrative assistant.  It's just the two of them, so it's small and they can decide how to run their own office, but they do have to deal with all the billions of layers of "corporate" above them in the company.

Option 2: Find some sort of non-profit charitable company and work for them.  Maybe some sort of office work probably, but I'd have to see if any local non-profits need an office worker, and then I'd have to brush up my office skills for whatever they'd need.  This would just be so that I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile to make the world a better place instead of just shaking my head at how bad things are.

Option 3:  Like a good portion of hive members, it would be a dream to work in a library with the books all day.  Though, I do know that librarian work isn't mostly about the books--it's mostly about customer service, so maybe it's not as ideal as I like to think it is.  I ought to volunteer first and see how I like it.

General wants:

I want to put in my time and do the best I can while I'm on the job, but I want to leave the job at work when I go home--so no long hours or taking things home to work on them at home, no emails to read at night, etc. I want a job where the amount of work is equal to the amount of hours I'm there.  I've been in jobs where everyone is always drowning in work and things get done shoddily because everyone has to rush-rush-rush.  

This is all a dream, of course.  In the end, I'll do what I have to do to earn money, because when the homeschooling gig is up, I need to sock away some more money toward retirement.  And like the OP said, I don't want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on education and not make it back up before I'm too old to work anymore, so that might limit what I can do.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

I have been thinking about it, too, though it is many years off for me. But I am 42, so maybe it's the age, too.

I think I would like some type of book keeping. Sorting with numbers and spreadsheets and budgets and the like. My background is medical, so I have to figure out how to parlay that into more than a $9/hr doctor office job.

• Like 1

I wish I had something helpful to post, but I don't.

I am right there with you Sparkly.   I have a high schooler, and have no idea what I am going to do when this is done.   Income is a concern, and I certainly don't have any extra money to put towards anything.  I never finished my degree, and any funds need to go towards DD's education now.

Devoting yourself to homeschooling for X years and then retiring in your 40's is a weird situation, for sure. 

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying this season of my life. I still have kids at home, but I'm finished homeschooling.

I always knew I wanted to spend more time writing once I was finished homeschooling so that's what I'm doing. I've taken a few courses at the university. I managed to get into a graduate level fiction writing class this semester - it's on writing a novella. So, by the time the semester is finished I'll be finished my first novella.

I'm also working on a novel that is coming along really well.

I've had some success with my short fiction winning an award and a piece of short non-fiction being shortlisted for a major national award. 

I love spending my days at home alone in my office where it's quiet :) And I'm part of a writing group that normally meets every two weeks - that's been nice on the social side of things. Plus, there are some pretty great writers in the group, so I always appreciate the feedback on my pieces and I enjoy reading their stuff. This is my first time, in a long time, that I've had friends that have nothing to do with homeschooling or kids in general. 

• Like 13

There are obviously plenty of us willing to talk about reinventing ourselves :)

I am 53 and my youngest is in 11th grade. I have an engineering degree and an MBA but have not had a full-time job since 1996.

I started volunteering teaching English to adults (ESL) a few tears ago, and I love it. I am building my resume in that direction with both ESL volunteer work and my own foreign language studies.

Only if I wanted to work in schools would I seek a masters. I prefer working with adults, and plan to get a certification within the next two years.

I may or may not end up with paid work from my plans.

Once all the children are launched and DH is retired, I would love for us to consider a move overseas again. Maybe by then I could get us there with an ESL position. This is an unlikely scenario for various reasons but {shrug} stranger scenarios have already actuallly happened to me!

If I never do anything with ESL but volunteer, I would be ok with that.

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying this season of my life. I still have kids at home, but I'm finished homeschooling.

I always knew I wanted to spend more time writing once I was finished homeschooling so that's what I'm doing. I've taken a few courses at the university. I managed to get into a graduate level fiction writing class this semester - it's on writing a novella. So, by the time the semester is finished I'll be finished my first novella.

I'm also working on a novel that is coming along really well.

I've had some success with my short fiction winning an award and a piece of short non-fiction being shortlisted for a major national award.

I love spending my days at home alone in my office where it's quiet :) And I'm part of a writing group that normally meets every two weeks - that's been nice on the social side of things. Plus, there are some pretty great writers in the group, so I always appreciate the feedback on my pieces and I enjoy reading their stuff. This is my first time, in a long time, that I've had friends that have nothing to do with homeschooling or kids in general.

Hi,are you auditing the graduate class? I keep thinking I need some sort of writing education(also bc my JD has ruined my fiction writing skills, insomuch as I ever had any) but an MFA seems overmuch.

Hi,are you auditing the graduate class? I keep thinking I need some sort of writing education(also bc my JD has ruined my fiction writing skills, insomuch as I ever had any) but an MFA seems overmuch.

No, I'm taking it for credit. I've taken a couple of other courses from this prof and she was able to add me to the course without me actually being in the program. I've taken a few undergrad courses over the last few years as well. 

I had to apply to the university to get into the first course and they transferred all of my previous (and very old!) credits over. Well, some of them, not all. I actually have no plans on working towards a degree, but am enjoying being in one class at a time. 

Check out your local university - ours offers undergraduate courses in creative writing. I found there was a huge range in the undergrad courses - some of the students I was in my first class with have gone on to publish books or win awards. There always seems to be a good mix of full time university students and members of the community who are serious about writing. Our classes are small and workshop based so work is due every week and workshopped and critiqued by the whole group. 

I'm so glad I took the plunge and got into that first class. Not only have I learned a lot, but it has also been helpful in terms of getting a lot of writing done, having a deadline, and polishing my work. Plus, the feedback is so important. 

No, I'm taking it for credit. I've taken a couple of other courses from this prof and she was able to add me to the course without me actually being in the program. I've taken a few undergrad courses over the last few years as well.

I had to apply to the university to get into the first course and they transferred all of my previous (and very old!) credits over. Well, some of them, not all. I actually have no plans on working towards a degree, but am enjoying being in one class at a time.

Check out your local university - ours offers undergraduate courses in creative writing. I found there was a huge range in the undergrad courses - some of the students I was in my first class with have gone on to publish books or win awards. There always seems to be a good mix of full time university students and members of the community who are serious about writing. Our classes are small and workshop based so work is due every week and workshopped and critiqued by the whole group.

I'm so glad I took the plunge and got into that first class. Not only have I learned a lot, but it has also been helpful in terms of getting a lot of writing done, having a deadline, and polishing my work. Plus, the feedback is so important.

My kid is taking classes there--that would be weird.😂I also doubt the utility seeing his experience. I will keep looking! I'd love to take a class or two. There is a local lib arts college but I don't think I can take classes as unmatriculated student there (but again DS can). What do they say about education being wasted on the young😂 Edited by madteaparty

I have been thinking about it, too, though it is many years off for me. But I am 42, so maybe it's the age, too.

I think I would like some type of book keeping. Sorting with numbers and spreadsheets and budgets and the like. My background is medical, so I have to figure out how to parlay that into more than a $9/hr doctor office job.

I’m leaning this way, too. I have a BA in psychology, worked in doctor’s offices/medical insurance for years before dc were born. Been working part-time the last few years but really dislike my current job. I am absolutely certain I do not want to work with the public. I’ve been looking into some accounting/bookkeeping training. I still have 3 more years of homeschooling, but would like to be ready to do something when dc are done with school.

PM me if you want more info -- but if you got your masters (MFT is Marriage & Family Counseling; an LCSW is a Licensed Clincal Social Worker).

Once you attain your masters, you'll need to get licensed in your state.

This type of licensed/masters will let you work in private practice, in hospitals and so on.

The other cool thing about this career is that the public wants to see an older person. A lot of us don't want to see a 28 year old with no kids -- but a super experienced 70 year old who has been there, done that. Yes.

I know I'm talking in generalities, but you get the idea.

Depending on where you live you can make anywhere from $80,000 to $100,000.

Some of the licensed people I knew worked part-time for a hospital and part-time in their own private practice.

I know you may feel "old" at 43, but 43 is still super young. Your 40s are a wonderful time to kick it into high gear job-wise.

Alley

• Like 4

PM me if you want more info -- but if you got your masters (MFT is Marriage & Family Counseling; an LCSW is a Licensed Clincal Social Worker).

Once you attain your masters, you'll need to get licensed in your state.

This type of licensed/masters will let you work in private practice, in hospitals and so on.

The other cool thing about this career is that the public wants to see an older person. A lot of us don't want to see a 28 year old with no kids -- but a super experienced 70 year old who has been there, done that. Yes.

I know I'm talking in generalities, but you get the idea.

Depending on where you live you can make anywhere from $80,000 to $100,000.

Some of the licensed people I knew worked part-time for a hospital and part-time in their own private practice.

I know you may feel "old" at 43, but 43 is still super young. Your 40s are a wonderful time to kick it into high gear job-wise.

Alley

I have a friend who did this in her 40’s and loves her new career as a counselor. It took a few years after graduating to build up her practice. But, she has a private practice and also travels around the country speaking at conferences. On the downside, she also has $50,000 of grad school debt that she’s paying off. But, she is single and has no kids to put through college, so it works for her.

• Like 2

The BA in psych might be expanded to do learning disability testing for schools with some work. Here, school psychologists can do a lot of testing.

It takes a LOT of patience to work with students who have LD's or other special needs. I wouldn't have had the patience to do it until I had a SN child myself. It's a very worthwhile career and certainly very in-demand. But I would strongly recommend anyone interested to do some job shadowing to see if it's really what that person is cut out for.

• Like 4

Well, I'm kinda done with mental illness. I majored in psychology because I thought I had something to offer in that department, but I'm just fried and burnt out. It takes a toll.

I knew when I was doing my internship during my senior year of college that majoring in psych was a mistake for me. I originally planned to continue on to grad school, but knew it wasn’t the right field for me before even finishing my BA. But, I was too close to being done and out of $ to switch majors that late in the game. So, I graduated and worked in other fields. Though I now wish I’d gone back and learned another skill when I was younger and had more time and less responsibility.🙂

• Like 3

I'm job-hunting now, and I have an application to finish this evening.

While homeschooling, I worked as an adjunct professor and independent contractor, but I need full-time work with benefits. Those positions still want me, but it isn't enough with a large house and two in college. I'm healthy and fully expect to be working another 15 years or so.

Thankfully I have a good job history even though I haven't had a full-time gig in twenty years. We'll see how this goes!

Edited by G5052
  • Like 2

This is a timely subject for me.  I would like to return to work because I miss the rewards it brings to me personally.  I have an Engineering degree and had a successful career in IT before I became a SAHM.

Over lunch yesterday, my husband and I were discussing returning to work.  I want to return in three years.  Upon asking his opinion, he said that he thinks that it will be difficult for a nearing 50 year old to re-enter the workforce after a 12 year absence.    My technology expertise is no longer relevant, so I agree that I need to make myself more relevant.  I can work on strengthening my previous network.

As a result of this discussion thread,  I am going to see which of my (very old) credits can be transferred towards a Computer Science degree.

Are there happy stories of professional women returning to well-paid work after a long break?

This is a timely subject for me.  I would like to return to work because I miss the rewards it brings to me personally.  I have an Engineering degree and had a successful career in IT before I became a SAHM.

Over lunch yesterday, my husband and I were discussing returning to work.  I want to return in three years.  Upon asking his opinion, he said that he thinks that it will be difficult for a nearing 50 year old to re-enter the workforce after a 12 year absence.    My technology expertise is no longer relevant, so I agree that I need to make myself more relevant.  I can work on strengthening my previous network.

As a result of this discussion thread,  I am going to see which of my (very old) credits can be transferred towards a Computer Science degree.

Are there happy stories of professional women returning to well-paid work after a long break?

IT is actually one of the areas where there are a lot of formal "returnships" (like an internship but for relaunchers).

• Like 1

I have quite a few years left if both my kids stay home to the end.  Ds definitely will choose to stay home if at all possible, ds is more up in the air.  I'm starting a business teaching science classes to homeschoolers, and if that does well I will likely continue it after they are done.  I enjoy teaching science and have a ton of resources between doing my 4-H STEM club, my 10 years as a docent, and my science degree.

Plan B will be to go back to work as an Executive Assistant.  I very occasionally, about once every two or three  months, do a freelance project for the company I quit working at last year.   It keeps me in touch with people, keeps some of the more specific/esoteric skills strong, and gives me something to list on a resume.

• Like 1