Menu

Haircut ideas for my DD please!

ktgrok

She's 7, and usually a very easy child but HATES washing her hair, hates brushing it, won't wear it back or wear headbands, and it's just a real issue. I wash her hair for her, but she still hates it. And it's already pretty short, but we are at the point where she is wanting to just cut it shorter to minimize how long it takes to wash and comb and such. But, she doesn't want to "look like a boy". She does have bangs, and wants to keep those, and I think that otherwise she'd have more hair in her face than she does now so I'm supporting that idea. 

This is what she looks like right now: 21686011_10155123339013666_8789632899662

Any thoughts? Links to cute photos?

I'm not sure if this link will work or not. There is a 7 year old on my daughter's team that has her hair similar to this, it's really cute!

https://www.google.com/search?q=short+haircuts+little+girls&safe=active&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKmY-b_tvWAhVE1oMKHY3VDEcQ_AUIESgB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=Lp_55GXNGm-p2M:

• Like 2

I assume you use a strong conditioner to help with brushing? Being so fine it probably tangles easily.

I'd probably go for a similar cut, just shorter. Maybe angled so it's more "girly"?

Yup, the only time she really allows it to be combed out well is in the shower, with conditioner. And she hates washing it so much that is not a daily thing, I'm afraid. 

FWIW pixie cuts can be done at many lengths. If you do a google image search for "pixie cuts for little girl" you can get an idea of the options available with this style. I also found this website that has some other shorter hair options: http://www.designsbybrittney.com/cute-hairstyles-for-little-girls/

I always had short hair as a kid. I couldn't stand having it in my face or having it brushed, and short was just so much easier.

• Like 1

Going shorter won't really take much less time to shampoo/condition and comb

Is she extra sensitive for other things- sock seams, food textures? My child who HATED to have anything done with her hair is very sensitive to certain touches and textures, and happened to have massive thick tight curls O.o

How well does she sit for a haircut? Going shorter might require more frequent trims. Adding a little layering to the bangs and sides will help a little with tangles, but might look messy if not trimmed on schedule.

How is she washing her hair? Shower? Submerged in tub? Rinsing by dumping a cup of water over her head? Detachable shower hose? Try different methods, cooler or warmer water? Use less product, esp shampoo. Make sure the hair is really wet then apply shampoo- less is easier to rinse out, more doesn't make it cleaner.

Things to try:

shampoo conditioner combo product? They aren't as great at cleaning or conditioning, but if her hair doesn't get really dirty or dry then it's one less step

Shampoo and spray-on/leave in conditioner/detangler? Again, one less step

Dry shampoo powder or spray on non-shampoo days?

Would she do better if she was the one shampooing her own hair? She'd be in control of the pressure and speed. Sometimes, a rushed shampoo (and you have good reason to rush!) isn't as gentle and can be uncomfortable

Good luck!

• Like 2

I had a little girl like that once. What a headache. Fortunately she wanted to keep her long hair so I could negotiate. We washed with combo shampoo/conditioner and used spray on detangler once she was out of the bath. We washed her hair a couple times a week?? and kept it in a french braid. I carefully combed it out from the bottom up. I agree with Rebel Yell it's not going to be easier cutting it shorter unless you go really short. I see so many short cuts that don't stay cute very long after leaving the stylist.  Her hair looks like it hasn't developed much body yet but you could luck out.  They would probably tell you to put product in it. :D    She's Darling!

• Like 1

I think a pixie cut would be adorable.  And I think messy pixies can even be cute.  I had pixie haircuts a number of time over the years and my dd had one at a difficult hair stage.  Easy peasy.  If they're left longer on top they look more girly.  You can go quite a bit shorter than pictured here and it will be easier. 

• Like 1

Both my girls have worn short stacked bobs with bangs at that age and for that reason. A *well-cut* stacked bob will lay nicely air-dried (or at least mostly so) and in my experience really is easier in terms of tangling and general maintenance. We usually went several months between cuts.

(Adding a picture: younger, though -- about 4, but this one wore for years.)

post-34099-0-34359500-1507334845_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 1

I would go for a shorter bob. Also, detangling spray, a wide tooth comb, and a Wet Brush. DD has an extremely tender head and is only just now as a teenager able to tolerate longer hair and more extensive brushing. The Wet Brush is her favorite hair tool.

I wouldn't worry about washing it so often. Once a week is plenty. I mean how dirty is her hair really? :). A bob would be cute and easy and then do a spray in deranged to comb it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, that's pretty much what we do now..but at least now I feel less embarrassed about it! She showers more often than that of course, but yeah, sometimes we just rinse her hair and leave it at that. 

It does seem to tangle less when shorter, so I think a shorter, stacked bob is what we will try, as others mentioned. I showed her pictures and she like them. She wants it about chin length :)

SaveSave

• Like 2

Her hair is pretty cute. My dd has wild hair and many of those same attributes of not liking washing etc. she won't wear hard headbands but will wear the sort type. I used to tell her a story to distract from the brushing. A small amount of conditioner diluted with heaps of water makes an OK detangling spray.

Swimming lessons help with the washing if it's a putting the head under water phobia. Also you can get them to play around soaping up the hair and making wacky hair styles with bubbles. But the best thing is just time. Eventually they can brush their own and cope better with it in general.

Also your dd would look really cute with a trendy cap if it's really bad and you need a quick fix anytime.

Example:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a4/4a/b5/a44ab50bf529f08c940fe902c8d790de--girl-bob-haircuts-little-girl-haircuts.jpg

I really recommend a cheekbone-length (layered and angled) bob with bangs. It's super cute, and absolutely easy care. Unlike a pixie it grows out for a while, becoming an equally nice chin-length or longer bob as the months pass.

The trick is to have no part. Have plenty of bangs instead, and a smooth transition between the bangs and the cheekbone length hair on either side. All the hair can basically fall left, right, or forward and be just fine.

• Like 1