Menu

Hair getting curlier with age?

azucena

Yes!  I used the have very thin, lank, straight hair.  Now it's just getting curlier and curlier.  I mean, I used to pay for perms to get curls like I've got naturally now!  I do have to be careful not to go too long between cuts because it gets very frizzy.   I love it.   

• Like 4

Well, I haven't noticed it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me. Both my sister and I had straight hair until puberty, then her hair went crazy curly, and mine went curly/wavy. After two kids, hers lost most of its curl again. So I think for us anyway, it is somehow hormone related.

Yes!  I used the have very thin, lank, straight hair.  Now it's just getting curlier and curlier.  I mean, I used to pay for perms to get curls like I've got naturally now!  I do have to be careful not to go too long between cuts because it gets very frizzy.   I love it.   

This is exactly the same for me. I never noticed until about 10 years ago, at age 40, when a new hair stylist asked me after a cut, if I wanted it blow dried curly or straight. I laughed and asked what he meant by "curly" as my hair has always been straight. He showed me how to use mousse and a diffuser to dry it curly, and it actually is pretty curly! I was shocked. Since then, it seems to be getting even more curly. I can still dry it straight, though, so it's not super curly.

This whole phenomenon seems really bizarre to me. I always figured it was related to hormones.

When I was pregnant, my hair strands became noticeably thicker. I could actually see on a single strand the thin non-pregnant segments and the thick pregnant segments. I didn't notice any curl during the pregnancies, though, that came at some point after the last pregnancy (at least that's when I became aware of it).

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

my brother always had a coarse wave.  as he got older - it got to be a tighter and softer curl.

My hair was always as straight as could be - and barely would take a perm (usually not).  it's long enough I can now see a wave. . . it almost disappears after I comb it out, but it is there.

Well, I haven't noticed it yet, but it wouldn't surprise me. Both my sister and I had straight hair until puberty, then her hair went crazy curly, and mine went curly/wavy. After two kids, hers lost most of its curl again. So I think for us anyway, it is somehow hormone related.

Yes, I think this is quite common. One of my close friends in college had extremely curly hair and it went completely straight during her first pregnancy. At that point she got it cut in a very short pixie and has worn it that way ever since.

My hair has always had weird waves and frizziness, and it just continues.  My older sister, on the other hand, had even wavier and frizzier hair when she was younger, but it slowly became straighter and smoother as she got older.  So, just the opposite of what you all are experiencing!

My older daughter use to have straight hair but it started getting wavy around puberty.

I have always had straight fine hair, mostly light brown in color plus a little blonde, mixed in with a little coarse darker hair. I am now post menopausal and beginning to get gray hairs. I have noticed that most of the gray hairs are the coarser waiver type so they are more noticeable.

My formerly straight hair has in recent years (post 50) developed a few stubborn areas that want to wave. There's nothing at all wrong (and maybe a lot good) about waves. But . . . they do NOT go with my preferred hairstyle and I don't want to change it. Using a good anti-frizz/smoothing product to tame the grays helps it back toward its normal straight smoothness.

Yep, hormones and thyroid. It came on with pregnancy. When I go my hypo it gets curlier. It used to be beautifully thick with body but no curl, a bit of wave in the back but no curl. Now, I have went to a short do b/c with the CRAZY thickness and sporadic curls it is a hot mess super long like I used to keep it.