Menu

Seriously?? Medical stuff just sucks

Moxie

DH's cardiologist, who is not a quack, who works at the big hospital in town, who has been DH's heart doctor for years, wants DH to have a chest x-ray to look at his heart. To do that, he wants DH to GO BACK TO THE FREAKING ER!!! DH said no, been there twice, I have a job, you need to figure out a better way.

I mean, what?? Shouldn't a cardiologist at a hospital be able to order tests in a timely enough fashion that he doesn't need to rely on the ER for quick tests?? I'm so confused by this whole system.

• Like 3

DH's cardiologist, who is not a quack, who works at the big hospital in town, who has been DH's heart doctor for years, wants DH to have a chest x-ray to look at his heart. To do that, he wants DH to GO BACK TO THE FREAKING ER!!! DH said no, been there twice, I have a job, you need to figure out a better way.

I mean, what?? Shouldn't a cardiologist at a hospital be able to order tests in a timely enough fashion that he doesn't need to rely on the ER for quick tests?? I'm so confused by this whole system.

There has to be a walk-in imaging place he can go.

WTHeck?

• Like 4

It's probably the fastest way to get it done.  Every time my kids have had something that required xrays that was not a regular part of treatment we've been directed by our pediatrician to take them to the ER for xrays.  The only time we've had xrays scheduled in a different way was when it was a ongoing condition where time wasn't so much of a factor.

• Like 2

That seems strange to me too, unless it is very urgent.  I do think sometimes it really is the fastest way to feed you into the hospital.  (Although I don't really understand why it has to be that way.  I guess it's just the way hospitals are set up.)  My dad was at a clinic appointment once for what he thought was bronchitis, and it turned out to be heart problems.  He was directed to the ER in order to get immediate attention, and from there, he was admitted as a patient on a regular hospital floor.  

Please keep us posted!  I'm sorry you and your dh are going through all of this.  I hope they get to the bottom of things this time!!

• Like 3

It's probably the fastest way to get it done. Every time my kids have had something that required xrays that was not a regular part of treatment we've been directed by our pediatrician to take them to the ER for xrays. The only time we've had xrays scheduled in a different way was when it was a ongoing condition where time wasn't so much of a factor.

If something is emergent, then yeah, you need an ER.

ERs triage, tho'. As we all know...I'm not trying to be pedantic.

So either it is emergent or the doc or the office staff just said ER without giving it much thought. Which also happens.

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 1

We took dd to the pediatrician when we thought she may have broken her arm and they x-rayed in office BUT then said, "Well, our cast guy has the day off so take her into the ER now."

What??? So then we had to pay for ped AND ER. And we had to hang out in the hospital for 8 hours. Oy vey.

Argh.

Emily

The Urgent Care clinics, the one's that you go to on nights and weekends when you're not bad enough for the ER, have x-ray machines.

Maybe you can pop into one of those on Saturday morning?

This varies by locale. Many of them don't here. That's why I don't use them. Nearly anything requiring much more than antibiotic script gets sent to the ER anyways, so I save myself the double expense and just go to the ER.

• Like 1

Some health clinics have the chest x-ray machines for follow up x-rays after a positive TB test. It is a lot cheaper there and many of these clinics take most insurances.

The Urgent Care clinics, the one's that you go to on nights and weekends when you're not bad enough for the ER, have x-ray machines.

My nearest ones don't have the chest x-ray machines for TB and pneumonia. Theirs is the smaller ones for small fractures.

Anytime DH knew he was going to be admitted with complications re: his cancer treatment (even when he was in an appointment with his oncologist), he was always told to just go to the ER because it was a much quicker process to get admitted/treated.  So, he'd be meeting with his oncologist, in person, discussing a troubling symptom, and then have to go through the ER process, as opposed to his dr. just admitting him then/there.  Strange.

Do you think the doctor suspects that your dh will need to be admitted to the hospital once the X-ray results are in?

I don't think your dh should delay having the X-ray, but I hope he is able to have it done in a more convenient place.

Sending prayers that they don't find anything serious. :grouphug:

• Like 3

Funny because we are currently in the ER waiting for dh to get a Ct scan because to do it as outpatient, which is on the other side of the building, insursnce requires a lengthy pre approval process that can take all day. So they sent us to ER. Where we will probably wait all day. Been here waiting for over an hour.

He has blood in his urine and pain on urination. Urgent but not emergent, IMO.

Funny because we are currently in the ER waiting for dh to get a Ct scan because to do it as outpatient, which is on the other side of the building, insursnce requires a lengthy pre approval process that can take all day. So they sent us to ER. Where we will probably wait all day. Been here waiting for over an hour.

He has blood in his urine and pain on urination. Urgent but not emergent, IMO.

I hope it's just an infection that can be treated with a course of antibiotics. :grouphug:

• Like 3

As I mentioned, in another thread, several days ago,  as my #1 M.D. (Internal Medicine/Cardiology) explained to me, years ago, when we had the PPO and I was sick, although he was in his office in the hospital, and although I was in the hospital, if he saw me then, and if he ordered examinations, which he would have done, it probably would have taken several days for him to receive the results of the examinations.  In the E.R., they probably get the results in 1 or 2 hours. The E.R. has much priority...

I am thankful that your DH does have a Cardiologist.

• Like 1

Any chance you've already met your OOP max with the other time and this will all be covered?

Tons of :grouphug: and wishing y'all didn't have to worry about the cost or time involved on top of the medical issues.

Has his numbness gone away?

Bwahahaha!! I bet we're not even to our deductible. It is super crappy insurance.

Still numb, no weakness. Two more doctors tomorrow.

Bwahahaha!! I bet we're not even to our deductible. It is super crappy insurance.

Still numb, no weakness. Two more doctors tomorrow.

Wow, I really wish things were different.  I hope you get answers and I hope that somehow the insurance covers more than you expect - not sure how - but I can hope.  

• Like 2