Menu

PSA: Keep your eye on Hurricane Irma

Guinevere

We did not. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¢ Up until 2 days ago all of the models had it going East... By the time it shifted it was taking 12+ hours to get out of FL. And a gas shortage. -- we didn't want to get stuck on the road. We are not in an evacuation zone, but I am still crazy scared at this point. I had a near panic attack tonight as I very much underestimated my ptsd from Katrina (we lived in New Orleans then). I am not the panic type person -- at all.

Deep breath. Just praying for safety for my family. Stuff is stuff. We have lost it all before...

Oh no.

But. Everyone. Does. Not. Need. To. Evacuate. 

ETA: There have been repeated statements from local and state officials telling people not to go to a shelter if they don't need to. If everyone would do what they should instead of freaking out, there wouldn't be shelters packed with people who would be safe at home and the roads wouldn't be packed with people who don't need to leave. This is what I have been trying to say over and over and over and over in this thread. Katie (ktgrok), a native Floridian, seems to be the only one who understands this.

So you would have had all those folks in Homestead stay in their houses to weather Andrew's winds?

I AM fully aware that not everyone needs to evacuate.  You aren't the only intelligent one on this thread nor the only one who has lived in FL through hurricanes.  BUT there are several who do need to evacuate - those in flood surge areas, those in mobile homes, and those in older places that weren't built to current codes and might not survive the winds, esp if they're in the hit range.  That's a lot of people (when the hit range is aimed at the larger cities).  If some of those opted to leave early, THERE'S no harm done EVEN IF the hurricane ends up not hitting their area directly.  It's actually beneficial for those who wait, ESPECIALLY if it DOES hit their area.

A mix is needed - not one solution for all.  If everyone (who NEEDS to evacuate) waited then tried to cram shelters, that's not helpful.  It's helpful that many Eckerd students left early and aren't taking up space in shelters - they are MOST DEFINITELY in a MUST evacuate area.

• Like 5

So you would have had all those folks in Homestead stay in their houses to weather Andrew's winds?

I AM fully aware that not everyone needs to evacuate.  You aren't the only intelligent one on this thread nor the only one who has lived in FL through hurricanes.  BUT there are several who do need to evacuate - those in flood surge areas, those in mobile homes, and those in older places that weren't built to current codes and might not survive the winds, esp if they're in the hit range.  That's a lot of people (when the hit range is aimed at the larger cities).  If some of those opted to leave early, THERE'S no harm done EVEN IF the hurricane ends up not hitting their area directly.  It's actually beneficial for those who wait, ESPECIALLY if it DOES hit their area.

A mix is needed - not one solution for all.  If everyone (who NEEDS to evacuate) waited then tried to cram shelters, that's not helpful.  It's helpful that many Eckerd students left early and aren't taking up space in shelters - they are MOST DEFINITELY in a MUST evacuate area.

I have never, not once in this thread said those people shouldn't evacuate. In fact, I said they should. I have pointed that out more than once on this very large thread.

• Like 1

I have never, not once in this thread said those people shouldn't evacuate. In fact, I said they should. I have pointed that out more than once on this very large thread.

What I was taking exception to in your posts (and then your last one where you seemed to question my intelligence :glare: ) is your suggestion that everyone should wait, then evacuate to a local shelter if necessary.  That works for some, but if everyone (who needed to evacuate) did that, it's NOT helpful.  Shelters fill up.  If some folks leave early (esp when they head far away from the storm's path), THAT'S helpful - esp if they are correct - and not the least bit harmful if they are wrong.  This is why officials have been telling folks to leave early if they could.  They aren't dumb...

• Like 4

What I was taking exception to in your posts (and then your last one where you seemed to question my intelligence :glare: ) is your suggestion that everyone should wait, then evacuate to a local shelter if necessary.  That works for some, but if everyone (who needed to evacuate) did that, it's NOT helpful.  Shelters fill up.  If some folks leave early (esp when they head far away from the storm's path), THAT'S helpful - esp if they are correct - and not the least bit harmful if they are wrong.  This is why officials have been telling folks to leave early if they could.  They aren't dumb...

No, that's not my suggestion. I keep trying to make myself understood because I believe the onus is on the speaker if what they're saying isn't understood. I'm not trying to berate anyone and I apologize if it comes across that way. I'm trying to rephrase or reiterate in order to explain myself.

Here's an example. When the storm was nearly 1000 miles away and moving at 16mph it looked like my area would get hit with a Category 4 storm. That's too early to evacuate because the storm can weaken, change course, or both. I know you know this, having lived in Florida. As the days went on Miami looked poised to take a hit and it looked like my area would get a Category 3 hurricane. There are many houses here that can handle a Cat 3. Would it be uncomfortable? Certainly. Dangerous? Unlikely. But..

People in my area panicked and packed up and booked hotels and clogged I-95 and I-75 when the people in South Florida are the ones who needed to get on the road. People in my area went to Tampa and Naples on Wednesday. Some went to Tallahassee. That made no sense, knowing how the track changes often. They are now in the path of Irma. I know at least one family that came home from Tampa.

I have not been saying everyone should just hunker down or wait until the last minute. I have only been saying people should pay attention, listen to their emergency management coordinators, and not panic when there is so much time for things to change. I would never tell anyone in an evacuation area or a home that couldn't withstand the storm to stay. If things had stayed a Cat 4 here we would have left. We had family we could go to, as do many people. The governor (I'm not a fan but he does a good job in a hurricane) and local officials around the state have been saying the same thing I'm saying. 

-You don't have to leave Florida to get to safety

-If you're told to evacuate, don't wait. Go.

-If you have family you can safely shelter with, do so.

-If you don't have a safe place go to a shelter

and, what I've been saying all along:

-Not everyone needs to evacuate.

ETA: The family we could stay with and who wanted us to go there on Thursday is in Lakeland. They are now going to be worse off than us.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 8

No, that's not my suggestion. I keep trying to make myself understood because I believe the onus is on the speaker if what they're saying isn't understood. I'm not trying to berate anyone and I apologize if it comes across that way. I'm trying to rephrase or reiterate in order to explain myself.

Here's an example. When the storm was nearly 1000 miles away and moving at 16mph it looked like my area would get hit with a Category 4 storm. That's too early to evacuate because the storm can weaken, change course, or both. I know you know this, having lived in Florida. As the days went on Miami looked poised to take a hit and it looked like my area would get a Category 3 hurricane. There are many houses here that can handle a Cat 3. Would it be uncomfortable? Certainly. Dangerous? Unlikely. But..

People in my area panicked and packed up and booked hotels and clogged I-95 and I-75 when the people in South Florida are the ones who needed to get on the road. People in my area went to Tampa and Naples on Wednesday. Some went to Tallahassee. That made no sense, knowing how the track changes often. They are now in the path of Irma. I know at least one family that came home from Tampa.

I have not been saying everyone should just hunker down or wait until the last minute. I have only been saying people should pay attention, listen to their emergency management coordinators, and not panic when there is so much time for things to change. I would never tell anyone in an evacuation area or a home that couldn't withstand the storm to stay. If things had stayed a Cat 4 here we would have left. We had family we could go to, as do many people. The governor (I'm not a fan but he does a good job in a hurricane) and local officials around the state have been saying the same thing I'm saying. 

-You don't have to leave Florida to get to safety

-If you're told to evacuate, don't wait. Go.

-If you have family you can safely shelter with, do so.

-If you don't have a safe place go to a shelter

and, what I've been saying all along:

-Not everyone needs to evacuate.

And I agree with you in general about who needs to evacuate (I always have), but have no problem with places or individuals who know they have a good chance of having to evacuate not waiting and leaving early instead.  If they are wrong, no big deal.  If they aren't, it's helpful.  Eckerd evacuated when it still looked like the storm would be on the east coast... but they ended up being right.  I'm sure many college parents are very thankful their kids could fly out while there was still room at TIA.  I'm sure many folks trying for the last flights today are thankful they're not competing with college kids for seats.  I'm sure many workers at Eckerd are happy to be able to prepare (or evacuate) their own places/families instead of caring for the college students up to the end.

Then too, there are students who merely went to stay with local friends and their families in safer areas.  They left early and aren't clogging the roads now either.  Earlier there was time for traffic jams to still make it out.  If they had to all get started today - or last night - who knows?

So some from the east got to go back home.  No big deal.  Better safe than sorry.

ETA: The family we could stay with and who wanted us to go there on Thursday is in Lakeland. They are now going to be worse off than us.

So now they could come to your place.  It still wouldn't have been a big deal if you'd gone there only to return, but not everyone needs to leave early.  It all works out best when there's a mix rather than everyone trying to do everything at the same time.

• Like 1

And I agree with you in general about who needs to evacuate (I always have), but have no problem with places or individuals who know they have a good chance of having to evacuate not waiting and leaving early instead.  If they are wrong, no big deal.  If they aren't, it's helpful.  Eckerd evacuated when it still looked like the storm would be on the east coast... but they ended up being right.  I'm sure many college parents are very thankful their kids could fly out while there was still room at TIA.  I'm sure many folks trying for the last flights today are thankful they're not competing with college kids for seats.  I'm sure many workers at Eckerd are happy to be able to prepare (or evacuate) their own places/families instead of caring for the college students up to the end.

Then too, there are students who merely went to stay with local friends and their families in safer areas.  They left early and aren't clogging the roads now either.  Earlier there was time for traffic jams to still make it out.  If they had to all get started today - or last night - who knows?

So some from the east got to go back home.  No big deal.  Better safe than sorry.

I agree, especially with official evacuations. Bethune Cookman College in Daytona (and I think Stetson in Deland) evacuated their campuses earlier in the week. The space center and the air force station where dh works (as a civilian) went to essential personnel only on Thursday. It's the general population who get in their cars and are the reason people in evacuation areas can't get rooms or have to drive 5 mph on an interstate that I've been talking about.

So now they could come to your place.  It still wouldn't have been a big deal if you'd gone there only to return, but not everyone needs to leave early.  It all works out best when there's a mix rather than everyone trying to do everything at the same time.

No, they're boarded up and prepared. They did that because of the size of the storm. It wouldn't have been a big deal to go there but we felt it was unnecessary. Still, they were our backup plan and we would have gone there if we needed to. They wanted us to come there earlier in the week but we know we can withstand a Category 3 so we also boarded up and prepared, while watching local instructions.

• Like 2

ETA: There have been repeated statements from local and state officials telling people not to go to a shelter if they don't need to. If everyone would do what they should instead of freaking out, there wouldn't be shelters packed with people who would be safe at home and the roads wouldn't be packed with people who don't need to leave. This is what I have been trying to say over and over and over and over in this thread. Katie (ktgrok), a native Floridian, seems to be the only one who understands this.

I get it.  I'm a native Floridian too.  It's such a hard decision!   We actually invited relatives who live in Miami and Daytona to come stay with us in Tampa a few days ago when it looked like the storm would hit the east coast.   They waited, and it turns out that now the storm is headed straight for us.

We replaced our windows last year and were required to replace them with impact windows rated for 140 mph winds & debris.   I never in a million years thought we'd actually test them out with 140 mph winds.   

• Like 6

Katie, did you guys get rain yesterday? We got quite a bit and it's raining right now. Dh and ds got wet putting up the shelters. They only have one more window outside so they won't get too wet today. The other windows are the French doors but they're on the screen porch so they can stay dry. Those always go up last.

yup. And he and DS 18 are getting rained on now, taking the furniture from the patio and carrying it around the house to the garage. Poor guys. 

And  worry that with the rain the trees and fences are more likely to fall over. 

• Like 1

The governor, who has been flying around the state for the past couple of days, just pointed out that more than 6 million Floridians have been ordered to evacuate. Now add to the roads all those people who left because they don't want the inconvenience of being without power (really, I know people who left for that reason) and this is what makes me angry. I get angry for the people who need to get out and can't because the people who don't need to get out have gone anyway.

• Like 6

It drives me crazy that most people fall into one of two extremes - not boarding up, not being prepared at all, or panicking and doing it all wrong. 

Prepare. Take it very seriously. Make decisions based on the information you have, and on the possibilities. But don't panic. 

• Like 7

Same. 

If I was say, in the keys right now, I'd be an idiot for not having left. But there is a HUGE difference between a Cat 3 hit, especially indirectly (remember, I'm in Orlando and seeing panic despite us probably only getting TS force winds), and a direct hit on the coast from a cat 5 storm. HUGE. 

And, when you do evacuate, do it smartly. Go inland. No need to go multiple states away and then panic about gas and traffic. And For the LOVE OF GOD don't "evacuate" one coast for another, like many people did. 

I live where people evacuate TO. And yet many freaked out and joined the throngs trying to leave the state. 

Another friend left, and spent 14 hours on the road, but her house is so safe (brand new and built to the highest codes and NOT on the coast) that other friends are sheltering in it, lol. 

If you aren't here, you aren't seeing the nuances I think. 

My family lived through Andrew, I do know the devastation and am wary. But also wise, and not panicking. 

Eckerd evacuating was smart. My neighbor doing it, probably less so. The idiots that left the east coast to "evacuate" to Tampa...I have no words. 

• Like 9

I realized last night I'm mourning the loss of the Florida Keys. They are so old-Florida funky with the flat roofed one story elevations and the docks with a few tables where the boats pull up. Those gorgeous decades old trees in Key West.

They'll rebuild, but there will be money to be made putting in cleaned up, sanitized corporate businesses. Will Shell Man come back? Will the Keys Deer populations be too thinned out? It was/is unique and valuable as a piece of history and ecology.

• Like 6

Seeing it's downgraded to a 3 now.  I know they're expecting it to regain, but I'll admit to hoping it doesn't.  A 3 tends to not be all that bad IME (except, of course, for exactly where it hits and those affected by flood surges, but still, better than a 4 or 5 with the same happening).

Again, best wishes to all who are affected.

• Like 5

I realized last night I'm mourning the loss of the Florida Keys. They are so old-Florida funky with the flat roofed one story elevations and the docks with a few tables where the boats pull up. Those gorgeous decades old trees in Key West.

They'll rebuild, but there will be money to be made putting in cleaned up, sanitized corporate businesses. Will Shell Man come back? Will the Keys Deer populations be too thinned out? It was/is unique and valuable as a piece of history and ecology.

They showed the Hemingway House this morning all boarded up. The cats are inside and at least one curator chose to stay (why, I can't imagine).

The Key Deer population is already so tenuous. :(

I don't think the Keys have taken a real hit since that devastating 1935 hurricane.

• Like 2

They showed the Hemingway House this morning all boarded up. The cats are inside and at least one curator chose to stay (why, I can't imagine).

The Key Deer population is already so tenuous. :(

I don't think the Keys have taken a real hit since that devastating 1935 hurricane.

He's there with 10 employees and the six-toed cats with tons of provisions. That place is a veritable bunker and at the highest elevation in all the Keys. If anything remaining survives, my guess is that place will be among them.

• Like 4

Can you clarify? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. In a flood the water eventually recedes. And the land is still there. The only scenario I can think of in which one could actually lose land would be oceanfront real estate where the shoreline is altered by high tide/storm surge, or if the land is along a river or lake that might flood and alter the landscape. If you look at some of the before (flooded) and after (when the water had receded) shots from Houston it's remarkable how normal things looked just a few days later.

I can think of one. After the 2010 flood here, the city declared some land in the flood plain unbuildable, unsafe. They purchased the land, planted lots of water-loving trees on it and it is just green space now. One lot near us is a community garden. No buildings can go on those lots.

• Like 2

This storm is so hard to track and I am getting confused. I have only been to Miami once, I don't have a good feeling for the width of the peninsula.

Now it looks like Naples will be hit hard BUT meteorologists say the whole peninsula will be affected from Miami up to Orlando and across to Saint Petersburg and Naples.

This storm is so hard to track and I am getting confused. I have only been to Miami once, I don't have a good feeling for the width of the peninsula.

Now it looks like Naples will be hit hard BUT meteorologists say the whole peninsula will be affected from Miami up to Orlando and across to Saint Petersburg and Naples.

It can be hard to understand, but the whole state won't feel hurricane force winds. We'll all get something (except maybe the farthest west in the Panhandle and even that isn't certain) but some will get more than others. Some will get hurricane force winds and even some of that will vary from stronger to weaker. Some will get tropical storm force winds. Some will get storm surges. We'll all get rain.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Remember how we said after Andrew, "can you imagine if it crossed at Miami or ft lauderdale?" This storm may be close to andrew's strength, three times the size; moving slower (30 hours instead of 4) and going right up the middle of the state with some portion of the storm hitting just about every population center. In much of the state, building integrity will hold, but many will sustain damage even if they aren't destroyed. Cars, boats, landscaping will be wrecked. Beaches will vanish. So many native animals will be displaced as Irma hits the Everglades. There are just two main roads in and out of he state. Clean up will be a huge challenge.

• Like 3

We did not. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¢ Up until 2 days ago all of the models had it going East... By the time it shifted it was taking 12+ hours to get out of FL. And a gas shortage. -- we didn't want to get stuck on the road. We are not in an evacuation zone, but I am still crazy scared at this point. I had a near panic attack tonight as I very much underestimated my ptsd from Katrina (we lived in New Orleans then). I am not the panic type person -- at all.

Deep breath. Just praying for safety for my family. Stuff is stuff. We have lost it all before...

:grouphug: I understand. I have family south of you too close to the coast and they evacuated; family a little further inland who are staying in place; friends who were in Ft. Myers but left quickly for the mid-Atlantic states.

Stay mellow, breathe deep. Will be thinking of and praying for everyone there. 

• Like 1

Someone upthread has a friend who is on St. Thomas.   I just watched a video on FoxNews.com with an interview with a woman who lives there and has been through Hurricanes there before. She said they may be able to reopen the airport on the 12th, with a temporary control tower and primitive facilities. The people will probably just board the aircraft, without going into the terminal building.  The hospital has been damaged, I think the roof came off and they have taken some patients to St. Croix and others to San Juan.  She said something about the last 2 seats out of there were USD$3000 each or $6000 each.  I wonder if that was on a Charter Jet or on a scheduled air carrier?  I suspect your friend will be on St. Thomas for awhile and hope that she will stay safe. As long as she has safe food and safe water or whatever to drink, she will be fine. 

That's assuming Jose doesn't hit them and cause further damage.  Jose is a category 4 and while the path is turning, it is still likely to hit St. Thomas and cause more damage.

• Like 2

Additional surge warnings... now up to 15' which is even higher than the 14.4' earlier version map I saw for Naples.  I just checked the newly released map.  He's in the evacuation zone now.

I'm hoping my uncle starts on the 2nd floor and doesn't try to stay in his first floor condo.  Now I'm wishing he had third as an option too.  His elevation is around 9' based upon a couple of nearby flood certs I came up with.

I wish he had evacuated earlier, but now he's set on staying even with the new recommendations.  He and his wife are in their upper 70s and have health issues typical for that age (heart and more, etc).

I think it's time I go do something else... 

Y'all are in my prayers and I hope this defies expectations and is less strong than what they are calling for.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

Additional surge warnings... now up to 15' which is even higher than the 14.4' earlier version map I saw for Naples. I just checked the newly released map. He's in the evacuation zone now.

I'm hoping my uncle starts on the 2nd floor and doesn't try to stay in his first floor condo. Now I'm wishing he had third as an option too. His elevation is around 9' based upon a couple of nearby flood certs I came up with.

I wish he had evacuated earlier, but now he's set on staying even with the new recommendations. He and his wife are in their upper 70s and have health issues typical for that age (heart and more, etc).

I think it's time I go do something else...

Y'all are in my prayers and I hope this defies expectations and is less strong than what they are calling for.

Naples is now in evac zone?? Ă°Å¸ËœÂ¥ Edited - I just checked. FIL, who is 82, needs to get out. (North side of town.) I'd bet a million dollars he will stay put, along with his friends.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

A friend of ours is in a panic because his parents won't evacuate, to the point of trying to convince my DH to drive down and try and get them, from Michigan!  I looked it up and they are in a voluntary evacuation zone for those with special needs, those in mobile homes, those in low lying areas within the county, and those along the rivers.  None of which apply to them. He's mad because I don't see the need.  They aren't evacuating the whole state. 

Edited by melmichigan

Naples is now in evac zone?? Ă°Å¸ËœÂ¥ Edited - I just checked. FIL, who is 82, needs to get out. (North side of town.) I'd bet a million dollars he will stay put, along with his friends.

This is what I saw for the current Naples evacuation boundaries:

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/weather/hurricanes/2017/09/09/hurricane-irma-list-expanded-evacuation-zones/649218001/

My uncle said all but two residents in his complex have opted to stay.  Some are snowbirds, so not there, but of those who live there year round, all but two are staying.  I hope they're all ok.

• Like 1

A friend of ours is in a panic because his parents won't evacuate, to the point of trying to convince my DH to drive down and try and get them, from Michigan!  I looked it up and they are in a voluntary evacuation zone for those with special needs, those in mobile homes, those in low lying areas within the county, and those along the rivers.  None of which apply to them. He's mad because I don't see the need.  They aren't evacuating the whole state. 

I have to LOL at this.  I live in Clearwater (non evac zone) on Florida's west coast right outside of Tampa.  My 2 sisters in law in Philadelphia are a bit angry that we didn't just pack the kids up and take a "vacation" (their exact words.....a vacation) to see all the inlaws in Philadelphia this week. In my Lincoln Navigator, which gets 15 MPG on its best day. 

Can you IMAGINE throwing that kind of guilt on someone who is presently just in survival mode?  It isn't as if we haven't second, third, and fourth guessed our decision 100x per hour. 

• Like 9

We were accidentally on a text list of family of a friend of ours.  They are in south east FL with a half a tank of gas, full shelters, no reasonable way to get through traffic and not likely to find gas even if they could.  We offered for them to come here a couple of days ago.  Unfortunately now all we can do is pray that they will somehow be ok.

• Like 1

As to the people depending on hurricane force/post Andrew construction-- my son was listening to NPR this morning and they were talking to Ambassadors of stricken countries in Caribbean and also the US Rep from USVI. The rep frtom the VI said that they build the hospital on St. Thomas after Hurricane Andrew and it had Hurricane Andrew rated roof (I believe that is supposed to whitstand Cat 5). The roof on that hospital blew off and USVI did not have the winds for hours and hours. The Ambassador to the Antigua and Barbuda said that they thought Hurricane Irma was coming to Antigua which is full of wooden houses and they thought it would be really bad. They woke up and nothing had happened and but they were hearing nothing from Barbuda. It was build with concrete buildings, not wooden and 95% of them are gone. This does not mean I think people should panicc. But I also think that relying on so-called Hurricane ready building in areas which will have high winds for hours and hours and some of which will have big storn surges, is probably not wise either.

I straddle in opinions between Lady Florida and Creekland--- I don't think you two are so apart. I can see why people leave early- particularly people in areas that typically will evacuate and people in mobile homes, inadequate shelters of other kinds or with special needs of some sort. OTOH, those in areas more inland without a canal near them or lake next to them or some other reason they would be CAT A evacuaees, I think should have waited to evacuate. I know when we lived on the island in Space Coast, we had identified a hotel in mainland upper Florida to evacuate to (which would take our pets) and we would have left earlier this week if we still lived there. But we were zone A, had pets, and have medical issues. Zoned F people should not be leaving. Preparing is the way to go. We lived through a number of disasters including TS Fay that caused a lot of damage when we did live on that island. In that storm, we were not told to evacuate and we decided to stay. It was fine--an adventure for us- though our streets were filled with water so kayakers came down the street and we were told not to use dishwashers, laundry, etc, and limit flushing because between the tremendous rain and storm surge, water wasn't able to drain from our island. We followed instructions and went on. Another time, we left Galveston Island when they urged visitors to leave before they closed the causeways. My point is people should follow directions of EMS and governemnt officials like Gov. Scott.

• Like 4

That's assuming Jose doesn't hit them and cause further damage.  Jose is a category 4 and while the path is turning, it is still likely to hit St. Thomas and cause more damage.

Yes for sure.  The thing the USVI has in their favor is that they are so close to PR. Many more resources in PR.  I have friends who live in PR and in the Dominican Republic.  The other islands, East of USVI are much more isolated and it will be harder to get help to them, but eventually everyone will be helped.

I vote in TX so am hoping they do not forget the victims of Harvey.  The news cycle is for a week or so and then they go on to the next thing that gets headlines and forget the people suffering from the previous event.

• Like 1

As to the people depending on hurricane force/post Andrew construction-- my son was listening to NPR this morning and they were talking to Ambassadors of stricken countries in Caribbean and also the US Rep from USVI. The rep frtom the VI said that they build the hospital on St. Thomas after Hurricane Andrew and it had Hurricane Andrew rated roof (I believe that is supposed to whitstand Cat 5). The roof on that hospital blew off and USVI did not have the winds for hours and hours. The Ambassador to the Antigua and Barbuda said that they thought Hurricane Irma was coming to Antigua which is full of wooden houses and they thought it would be really bad. They woke up and nothing had happened and but they were hearing nothing from Barbuda. It was build with concrete buildings, not wooden and 95% of them are gone. This does not mean I think people should panicc. But I also think that relying on so-called Hurricane ready building in areas which will have high winds for hours and hours and some of which will have big storn surges, is probably not wise either.

I straddle in opinions between Lady Florida and Creekland--- I don't think you two are so apart. I can see why people leave early- particularly people in areas that typically will evacuate and people in mobile homes, inadequate shelters of other kinds or with special needs of some sort. OTOH, those in areas more inland without a canal near them or lake next to them or some other reason they would be CAT A evacuaees, I think should have waited to evacuate. I know when we lived on the island in Space Coast, we had identified a hotel in mainland upper Florida to evacuate to (which would take our pets) and we would have left earlier this week if we still lived there. But we were zone A, had pets, and have medical issues. Zoned F people should not be leaving. Preparing is the way to go. We lived through a number of disasters including TS Fay that caused a lot of damage when we did live on that island. In that storm, we were not told to evacuate and we decided to stay. It was fine--an adventure for us- though our streets were filled with water so kayakers came down the street and we were told not to use dishwashers, laundry, etc, and limit flushing because between the tremendous rain and storm surge, water wasn't able to drain from our island. We followed instructions and went on. Another time, we left Galveston Island when they urged visitors to leave before they closed the causeways. My point is people should follow directions of EMS and governemnt officials like Gov. Scott.

Your top paragraph is why I'm reluctant to trust small scale models for large scale emergencies.  They give us a "best guess" at what is better, but it's just that - a guess.  Real life tends to have far more variables than any small scale can duplicate and those variables can cause vastly differing results.  If/when we move back into a hurricane prone area, I want one that is newer and built with "best guess" technology (that should improve even from these storms), but I still wouldn't want vacationers to spend a hurricane there.  (We aren't likely to ever be there during hurricane season.  I detest heat.  We'll rent it out during those months.  That's the plan anyway.)

I agree with your bottom paragraph, although I have no problem with anyone choosing to leave if they are worried.  (Those wanting to leave the area - not just switch to a local shelter when their own place is fine as there generally are no reasons (other than medical) to do that.)  As stated before, I saw the destruction from Andrew.  Not everyone wants to take chances with a major storm coming.  If you don't want to live through it you shouldn't have to.  Go to relatives elsewhere if you can.  Go on vacation if you can.  There is nothing at all wrong with that decision and if you choose to do that, the earlier you can go the better since you won't be clogging roads or airways later when others want to leave.  Waiting until last minute to do something has led to all the local shelters being filled to capacity issues.

• Like 2

transientChris   I have a friend on PR. He's a Structural Engineer.  He designs the Skeletons of buildings and then the Architects fill in the rest.  It would be interesting to hear his point of view, a Civil Engineer, with advanced degree and P.E., as to which is stronger. However, the situation in any particular storm varies wildly, from one storm to another. For example, Andrew went East to West across FL and did it quickly. The eye of Irma as I recall is much larger and Irma is much slower. Many variables to take into consideration, when comparing one Hurricane to another Hurricane. And it's like all those cranes on the skyscrapers in downtown Miami that are under construction. Had Irma gone up the center of FL, the winds in  Miami would have been much higher than they will be tomorrow.  The unknown for the cranes on top of those under construction skyscrapers is the Venturi Effect, between skyscrapers.  Would that have raised the Wind Speed on the cranes and the Wind Load would have been above their rated capacity?  One would need a Wind Tunnel and Models to test that scenario. 

I think there are a few people on here that are like me and worried about people while this plays out. What are your plans to see what is happening down there?

I am thinking of looking at traffic cams, and local news. I noticed Bay news 9 has a link to power outages. That could be helpful too. I have told family to send text messages as they are easier to go through then calls. 

• Like 1

I vote in TX so am hoping they do not forget the victims of Harvey.  The news cycle is for a week or so and then they go on to the next thing that gets headlines and forget the people suffering from the previous event.

This is what I'm afraid will happen to everyone as it tends to happen in every disaster.  They are honored for maybe a week, then mostly forgotten.  It's kind of like how folks make donations to organizations at Christmas, but forget there are 11 other months and the "cause" often is there year round.

But then too, not many of us have tons extra in our budget and the needs right now are very high.  This was the start of my conversation in my other thread regarding "walking away."  Eclipse aside (that's from the other thread), we humans still need to figure out how we can best help as many as possible around our planet.  I'm not sure what the answer is TBH.

• Like 1

I think there are a few people on here that are like me and worried about people while this plays out. What are your plans to see what is happening down there?

I am thinking of looking at traffic cams, and local news. I noticed Bay news 9 has a link to power outages. That could be helpful too. I have told family to send text messages as they are easier to go through then calls. 

I have none other than the news channels and the internet.  I'll have to wait to hear or read about areas and compare those to where my aunt and uncle live - or maybe wave to them if I see them being evacuated by boat.   :glare:   If he has a signal and charge, he's supposed to contact someone in the family (any of us) to update us and we'll spread the word to everyone else.  He doesn't text.  It'll be a phone call or nothing.  If we don't hear from him, we'll have to play it by ear for a bit - getting updates as mentioned in my first couple of lines.

I'm very, very thankful my youngest is in Jordan.  Talk about evacuating early.  The lad must have seen it coming and made preparations last spring to be well out of the path!   :lol:

• Like 4

I read a thing on FoxNews.com awhile ago and part of it included a Hurricane specialist in Colorado (talk about far from the risk...)..  He is quite worried about the city of Naples FL.  He is also worried about the Tampa Bay area, because that is the hardest area to evacuate from and most of the people there have no experience with Hurricanes.

And yet, my friend in Boca Raton, on the East Coast, may be up to his rear in water tomorrow.  Hopefully he is not in an area that will get storm surge.

When I was young, I had an Aunt and Uncle who lived on Miami Beach and  as I remember that home was across the street from Biscayne Bay and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near there today or tomorrow.  

• Like 2

The bored before the storm. With everything as hurricane ready as it can be, I'm left feeling at loose ends. I'm not sure what to do with myself.

You could start a controversial thread on the Hive - then hope you keep power to read it before it gets deleted or closed.   :lol:

On a more serious note, as long as y'all have power - keep posting - updating those of us watching from afar...

• Like 5

Lady in Florida,

I think you are trying to say:

Be weather and property aware.

Be Prepared

Try not to panic, as anxiety doesn't do all that much good.

Right?

Sounds about right to me.   These same principles apply to tornado areas.  Except we only have a few minutes to hours to prepare, so everything is just crunched down much more tightly.  Sometimes having days and days to worry about something is super nerve-wracking.

That being said, I hope all people that needed to evacuate are safe.  We are wishing all Floridians the best.

• Like 2

At this point, whether one evacuates or stays is not a choice in our area anymore. The eye of the hurricane will be over my house soon enough. At this point, I have contacted the roofer, the window repairman, and the screen cage man and already set up appointments. Mattresses are in the closets for DH and all the old people. There is enough food and water high on shelves. It is what it is. Nothing left to do but pray.

• Like 14

At this point, whether one evacuates or stays is not a choice in our area anymore. The eye of the hurricane will be over my house soon enough. At this point, I have contacted the roofer, the window repairman, and the screen cage man and already set up appointments. Mattresses are in the closets for DH and all the old people. There is enough food and water high on shelves. It is what it is. Nothing left to do but pray.

Wishing you all the best.   :grouphug:

• Like 5

*That* I can do.

((Hugs))

Edited by arctic_bunny
  • Like 3

I just read on Fox news.com the USA told the U.S. Citizens on St. Martin to shelter in place for Jose. Also the USA evacuated approximately 500 U.S. Citizens from St. Martin to Puerto Rico in C 130 aircraft. Those who need Medical care. The Dutch and French will send troops to try to stop the looting.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've been seeing local friends post these pictures all day, so a little while ago I looked myself. This is from the Weather Channel app. The blue dot is my house, and the skinny line is the center of the forecast track from 5:00 pm today. We are still 30+ hours away from when we will see the worst of it, but please pray that it will lessen in intensity before it hits Florida. I will check in when I can.

ETA: I think I got the photo to upload.

On a brighter note, it was gorgeous here today. My teenagers are really taking to heart the task of eating out the fridge while we still have power. We found a tube of cinnamon rolls in the fridge that we'll make for breakfast tomorrow, we have lots of cookies and my freezers look like ice factories. The FedEx truck came today and delivered 4 more battery operated fans that I ordered at the beginning of the week but didn't think I'd see before Tuesday, and I found 2 unopened packages of D batteries in the back of the hurricane cabinet.

post-35887-0-05578700-1505005662_thumb.jpg

Edited by SebastianCat
  • Like 11

I've been seeing local friends post these pictures all day, so a little while ago I looked myself. This is from the Weather Channel app. The blue dot is my house, and the skinny line is the center of the forecast track from 5:00 pm today. We are still 30+ hours away from when we will see the worst of it, but please pray that it will lessen in intensity before it hits Florida. I will check in when I can.

ETA: Can't get the photo to upload. The track goes right over my house.

Wishing you all the best too.   :grouphug:  (And praying for everyone in the path.  I hope the storm is weaker with less surge than expected.)

• Like 5

ETA: Can't get the photo to upload. The track goes right over my house.

On a brighter note, it was gorgeous here today. My teenagers are really taking to heart the task of eating out the fridge while we still have power. We found a tube of cinnamon rolls in the fridge that we'll make for breakfast tomorrow, we have lots of cookies and my freezers look like ice factories. The FedEx truck came today and delivered 4 more battery operated fans that I ordered at the beginning of the week but didn't think I'd see before Tuesday, and I found 2 unopened packages of D batteries in the back of the hurricane cabinet.

I don't know why I didn't think of battery operated fans. For me, it's the heat that's the worst part.

• Like 2