Menu

PSA: Keep your eye on Hurricane Irma

Guinevere

Yes, insurance typically covers only the building, although I understand that waterfront property is insured differently. I don't know the details though.

I grew up in an area with forest fires, including one that destroyed over 100 homes. When I was there last summer, almost 16 years later, there still are some empty lots. A friend of mine was widowed just months before the fire and lost her entire house in the fire. Once ruins of the house were removed, she listed the lot and took the insurance money and bought closer to family. When I went through that neighborhood, whoever bought it had put up a nice-looking house.

I just think that at times like these it is easy to imagine the worse. Odds are she will likely be fine... or at least that is what the ostrich inside me says. :)

Same here. It's hard not to think the worst.

A friend in the Bahamas just posted video of a scene from an island just south of them. The sea was overrunning the dock and coming over the sea wall. And this is just the beginning...

Edited by G5052

Hot on the heels of Irma is Jose...  The U.S. Navy has deployed several warships to  (I think) PR and USVI, for Humanitarian Aid. They were going to send several to TX and then Irma came along...  They have some other warships   out of port,at sea, waiting for Irma to clear and then they will send them in. 

I watched a video on Weather.com about the 20 or 25 skyscrapers under construction in the Financial District of Miami. They have Cranes on top of them.  Even if the winds are below what they are designed to withstand, the Venturi Effect may increase the wind speed at the top of various buildings with those cranes and topple the cranes.  Stay away from Windows if you are near one of those!  Something else to complicate this very dangerous situation.  

• Like 1

Yes, I just spent some time looking at 292 photos of the wreckage so far in the various islands.  Some of those did not have direct hits - in fact, many did not/  Barbuda did have direct hit and 90% of buildings are gone.  Even areas that were supposedly not hit that hard like St. Thomas and St. Johns look like they have quite a bit of damage.  

For those still deciding whether to go or not in SOuthern Florida and who are under evacuation orders, the roads actually are moving now.  I saw footage in both central Florida (Ocala area) and south Florida, and the traffic was moving normally- that was just a few minutes ago.  I think the giant traffic jams have eased.  If anyone is under evacuation orders and can still get to a not filled evacuation center, that is a better place to wait than in a home in a mandatory evacuation area.  Because when the services are out and there is no food, water, electricity, etc- the first people who will be getting food, water, etc, will be the people at the centers.  People in individual homes will have to make do with their own supplies until after they have serviced the shelters.  And with widespread power outages possible, that could be quite a while.

Also for anyone on the keys or the islands on either side- they will be closing the bridges and over the water highway when the winds get to be about 40 MPH.  Also, the Miami Beach fire department says they are not allowed to respond once the winds get that high.  They will be that high by tomorrow morning- most likely,

Yes, I just spent some time looking at 292 photos of the wreckage so far in the various islands.  Some of those did not have direct hits - in fact, many did not/  Barbuda did have direct hit and 90% of buildings are gone.  Even areas that were supposedly not hit that hard like St. Thomas and St. Johns look like they have quite a bit of damage.  

For those still deciding whether to go or not in SOuthern Florida and who are under evacuation orders, the roads actually are moving now.  I saw footage in both central Florida (Ocala area) and south Florida, and the traffic was moving normally- that was just a few minutes ago.  I think the giant traffic jams have eased.  If anyone is under evacuation orders and can still get to a not filled evacuation center, that is a better place to wait than in a home in a mandatory evacuation area.  Because when the services are out and there is no food, water, electricity, etc- the first people who will be getting food, water, etc, will be the people at the centers.  People in individual homes will have to make do with their own supplies until after they have serviced the shelters.  And with widespread power outages possible, that could be quite a while.

Also for anyone on the keys or the islands on either side- they will be closing the bridges and over the water highway when the winds get to be about 40 MPH.  Also, the Miami Beach fire department says they are not allowed to respond once the winds get that high.  They will be that high by tomorrow morning- most likely,

• Like 2

We traveled from Central Florida to Middle GA today.  Normally a 5 hour drive, took us twice as long.  There were some spots that moved fairly well but overall it was a slow, tedious drive. Many, many slow downs and several fender benders.   I75 North in Florida actually had the left emergency lane open for traffic but once you hit Georgia that was blocked off.   I've watch 'Google Maps' for the last few days, all time of the day and night, and there just didn't seem to be any quicker time.  

I will say that I did not witness any aggressive drivers which was a nice change.  

Rest areas and exits were all packed.  If you are waiting to leave, I just don't see traffic getting better.  

• Like 1

Zimom, glad you got out. 

Got a message a bit ago that Dad#2 is going to the brick house tomorrow. He closed on a house today and will go tomorrow morning and board it up (the person he bought it from was moving to Houston). 

I haven't heard from my mom much. Someone was talking about the BVI's. Ironically my mom was planning a trip to Tortola in April where she and 3 other couples were going to rent a 50 foot boat for a week. Not sure if that is still happening now. It was privately owned boat and it is the slow season down there so it is possible that there still is a boat... but who knows. Tortola was the island that had all the boats piled up in a cove. 

From an RV forum I belong to- Simply RV in SC is offering free camping and RV/boat storage to Irma evacuees. It is off of I-26 and they are allowing pets.

Confirmed on their Facebook page.

The NASCAR tracks in Atlanta and Talladega have opened their campground facilities to RV'ers and tent campers.

• Like 3

Zimom, glad you got out. 

Got a message a bit ago that Dad#2 is going to the brick house tomorrow. He closed on a house today and will go tomorrow morning and board it up (the person he bought it from was moving to Houston). 

I haven't heard from my mom much. Someone was talking about the BVI's. Ironically my mom was planning a trip to Tortola in April where she and 3 other couples were going to rent a 50 foot boat for a week. Not sure if that is still happening now. It was privately owned boat and it is the slow season down there so it is possible that there still is a boat... but who knows. Tortola was the island that had all the boats piled up in a cove. 

An awful lot of boaters take their boats north for hurricane season.  It is possible they did this.

• Like 1

Person I know on vacation in St. Thomas was able to call a mutual friend from a stranger's phone.  Power is back on.  The island is pretty destroyed.  Jose is expected to hit tomorrow.  She's scared.  And can't wait to get home.  But they have no idea when the airport will be reopened, especially with the second hurricane coming.

• Like 1

Person I know on vacation in St. Thomas was able to call a mutual friend from a stranger's phone. Power is back on. The island is pretty destroyed. Jose is expected to hit tomorrow. She's scared. And can't wait to get home. But they have no idea when the airport will be reopened, especially with the second hurricane coming.

Wild speculation, but I understand the Navy has a couple of ships en route with relief supplies to the Caribbean. So I'm wondering if US Citizens might be evacuated by boat. Seems the most expeditious solution.

• Like 1

I was just watching the Red Sox/Tampa Bay game. Tampa's players were able to bring their family with them on this road trip. However the manager for TB said that he is checking the weather reports more then the scouting reports for the Red Sox. Clearly all of us know where he is coming from with that one! 

• Like 1

She is north of St. Pete Beach, south of Clearwater beach... in one of those little towns in there. There is land around her. Even a big condos not far from her and obviously on the beach, but she is not in the "big water" meaning her channel behind her house isn't that deep. So not sure if that makes a difference or not. I don't know what her policies look like (honestly, I don't know what my policies look like and I had to sign them!). They are 3 different companies that I know, but that is it. 

By the time the storm gets that far north, it won't be the monster that it has been in the Caribbean.   It will likely be a Cat 1, maybe Cat 2, so wind speeds around 75-85 mph.   Not fun, and she's in an evacuation zone for sure, but she won't be coming home to the kind of devastation you are seeing on the news from places like Barbuda or St. Marten.   

In 2004, I think it was Charley that actually rearranged the land between Sanibel and Captiva in SW Florida as it came ashore.  But that was a Cat 4 in nearly a direct hit (actual landfall of the eye was a bit further north, but that SE side of the storm had quite a punch with onshore winds and storm surge).   I have no idea how insurance was handled in that situation, but to visit today, you would never know it happened.

• Like 1

My daughter has gone to my BIL's house.  He lives a bit east of her, and he's also in a no evacuation zone, but the storm keeps moving west towards them.

She had not wanted to go there, but I'm so glad she has. I did not like the idea of her being alone through this thing.

I'm trying not to freak out, but it's not going well.

I was at a high school football game tonight working the concessions (for baseball) the whole time I was worried about her driving to my BIL's and then I found out that my grandmother in NJ is having kidney failure.  

I'm feeling stretched in many directions and very stressed out.  I'm currently enjoying a vodka with cranberry juice and trying to calm down a little. 

• Like 2

My daughter has gone to my BIL's house. He lives a bit east of her, and he's also in a no evacuation zone, but the storm keeps moving west towards them.

She had not wanted to go there, but I'm so glad she has. I did not like the idea of her being alone through this thing.

I'm trying not to freak out, but it's not going well.

I was at a high school football game tonight working the concessions (for baseball) the whole time I was worried about her driving to my BIL's and then I found out that my grandmother in NJ is having kidney failure.

I'm feeling stretched in many directions and very stressed out. I'm currently enjoying a vodka with cranberry juice and trying to calm down a little.

:grouphug: Try to get some sleep

• Like 3

I sincerely hope you evacuated.

We did not. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¢ Up until 2 days ago all of the models had it going East... By the time it shifted it was taking 12+ hours to get out of FL. And a gas shortage. -- we didn't want to get stuck on the road. We are not in an evacuation zone, but I am still crazy scared at this point. I had a near panic attack tonight as I very much underestimated my ptsd from Katrina (we lived in New Orleans then). I am not the panic type person -- at all.

Deep breath. Just praying for safety for my family. Stuff is stuff. We have lost it all before...

Edited by ByGrace3
  • Like 5

We did not. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¢ Up until 2 days ago all of the models had it going East... By the time it shifted it was taking 12+ hours to get out of FL. And a gas shortage. -- we didn't want to get stuck on the road. We are not in an evacuation zone, but I am still crazy scared at this point. I had a near panic attack tonight as I very much underestimated my ptsd from Katrina (we lived in New Orleans then). I am not the panic type person -- at all.

Deep breath. Just praying for safety for my family. Stuff is stuff. We have lost it all before...

I will pray for your safety and for you to remain calm.

• Like 6

Just wanted to let you guys know that we are as ready for the storm as we can be.  We are on the eastern side of central Florida and not in a flood zone.  We are expecting to start seeing tropical storm force winds this afternoon/evening.  Not sure how long we will have power.  We will be praying for everyone's safety

• Like 4

Wild speculation, but I understand the Navy has a couple of ships en route with relief supplies to the Caribbean. So I'm wondering if US Citizens might be evacuated by boat. Seems the most expeditious solution.

There are 2 or 3 Amphibious warships near USVI to provide Humanitarian aid. I suspect their work may be interruped by Jose. I didn't read about them evacuating people but that seems possible. There are also other warships preparing to aid FL and PR and USVI

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I read on Foxnews.com that some Airbnb places in N FL and Georgia will provide free lodging to Irma evacuees. Also some UHaul places will provide free cartons and containers and storage for 30 days. Comcast free Internet for awhile

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

I am so worried for Florida.  I am having insomnia so I am up really late.  I went to cnn.com and watched a segment that a meteorologist did about the difference between Hurricane Andrew and Hurricane Irma.  The difference is that Andrew was in Florida for 4 hours and Irma is expected to be in Florida for 30 hours.  Also the hurricane force winds will be much larger like almost twice the size of Andrew and tropical storm winds much much wider.  Although the forecast is that it will be a 4 when it hits land, it is only expected to have winds about ten miles an hour less strong than Andrew and again for much more than 4 hours that Andrew spent on land.

• Like 4

The latest forecast I saw had an M over Tampa Bay. I imagine when I go to church tomorrow it will feel like after 9/11. SOOO many people up here have family down there. I feel like everyone I know, knows someone down there. 

Everyone in the path, I am praying and I am sure THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS more are praying for you. 

• Like 4

As I posted from my phone earlier, the U.S. Navy did send 3 Amphibious warships to USVI. Possibly one also to PR.  They had been planning to send several warships to TX and then Irma came along, so I don't think any of them are going to TX now. They have other warships which are prepared to help and have left their ports in FL, VA, etc. and are at sea, waiting for Irma to go by, so that they too can help. They have special capabilities for Humanitarian aid, Medical care, Water, Power, etc. I think there are 250 U.S. Marines aboard each of those warships.

I did not read anything about them going there to evacuate people. That will take some time, and will happen when the logistics have been worked out.  Possibly they could send a Cruise ship to evacuate people when that's possible.

• Like 1

Person I know on vacation in St. Thomas was able to call a mutual friend from a stranger's phone.  Power is back on.  The island is pretty destroyed.  Jose is expected to hit tomorrow.  She's scared.  And can't wait to get home.  But they have no idea when the airport will be reopened, especially with the second hurricane coming.

If the Property she is staying in is intact, she should stay there. She should keep a very low profile. After a disaster very bad things can happen to people. If you communicate with her please suggest that she stay where she is and hopefully the people where she is will help her with food and water.  One of many things the U.S. Marines on the Amphibious warships will do is to inspect the airport and see what needs to be done to make it operational.  I seem to recall it is just above sea level, like many other airports.  Your friend is not alone in being stranded there and wanting to get home.  Tell her to stay calm and to be alert and very very careful for her personal safety.  I don't want you to scare her, but then again, I do, because I know what happens, frequently, after a disaster.  She needs to be very very careful.  Hopefully she is with other people and not there by herself. She should try to be with other people. Safety in numbers...

• Like 1

I wonder if they are sending any ship to Saint Martin/sint Martin where 6100 Americans are stranded.  Probably not before they have to endure Jose.  I know that the British aren't sure they are going to be able to provide much aid to their colonies because of Jose until it goes away.  Prayers for all in danger and who are sufferng.  

• Like 2

I wonder if they are sending any ship to Saint Martin/sint Martin where 6100 Americans are stranded.  Probably not before they have to endure Jose.  I know that the British aren't sure they are going to be able to provide much aid to their colonies because of Jose until it goes away.  Prayers for all in danger and who are sufferng.  

My belief is that they will do as much as they possibly can, on a priority basis, and that the first efforts by the USA are to FL, PR and USVI.  Hoping they will not forget TX, which originally was supposed to get help from 3 U.S. Navy warships, which are now going to help FL.   

Lots of people are in need of help, in lots of places, and the resources are spread very thin, in the immediate aftermath of Harvey.  

Probably evacuations will come   later, after they have helped with Medical care, Power, Water, Food, Public Safety (it is *extremely* dangerous to be somewhere where there has just been a major disaster), etc.  Restoring the airports to operational capability and the ports will be a priority for them.   

A large part of what the U.S. Military does (about 26%) is providing Humanitarian aid.  

I suspect they  will get some Cruise ships, to evacuate many people from the Caribbean islands where the airports are closed now.  They can get a huge number of people onto one Cruise ship, compared to one aircraft, but they also need to figure out where to take them, either by Cruise ship or Civil Turbojet, they need to go on to their final destinations from wherever they arrive in the USA so that requires quite a bit of operational capability and capacity..  

• Like 3

One problem I'm seeing is that the ports are also damaged - tough to get larger ships in.  

So much need.  Will the world step up to try to assist everyone?  Only time will tell.  My fear is once things fall out of the news, folks will forget.  It takes a long time to clean up after one major event and now... I've lost count.  Floods, winds, fires, earthquake... It's a lot all at once.

My uncle is staying put.  He's not in an evacuation zone.  We'll see if his building can withstand a direct hit if that's where Irma continues to go (as is predicted now).

The good thing is it looks like the eastern coast and the Bahamas will have less strong winds.  Any plus is a plus.

My prayers remain with anyone in the path.

• Like 1

The Coast Guard was trying to get out there via Cuacoa the last I heard, but as you say, Jose may well be complicating things.

http://smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-martin-news/27000-u-s-coast-guard-relocates-assets-to-curacao-due-to-hurricane-irma.html

I share your fear Creekland.  It seems big news stays big for no more than 4 weeks, and most people think the situation is over once the media is done chewing it up and spitting it out.  But for those affected, it's life changing or at least majorly life disrupting.  But even "knowing" that, what can one person do?  It's a lot to try to hold in one's mind.

• Like 4

I sincerely hope you evacuated.

For the record, it is NOT advised nor feasible for everyone in the path to evacuate. 

We have well defined evacuation areas that err on the side of safety. If you aren't in those zones it is not advised to evacuate. Go to a shelter or friend's house is your house is unsafe, or you have unique medical needs that require power, etc. But there are only a few roads out of the entire state, because we are a peninsula, and they can't hold all of us. 

And even up to a few hours before, it is unknown exactly where it will hit. It is really not possible to know where to evacuate TO, other than maybe Orlando, where I am. 

One not so smart person told me they were evacuating from Melbourne to Tampa back when it was predicted to go east. I warned her not to, due to not knowing where it would go yet. Yeah, now it's going to be hitting Tampa. 

If you evacuate too early you don't know where to go. If you wait till you know, it's too late to get very far. 

• Like 12

Well, with every window my husband boards up the thing seems to move further west. By the time he gets the last boards up it should be on a path to just go out to sea :)

Sorry, just trying to insert some levity :) I know we are all worried. And it makes people crazy (not here, in real life). Spent half an hour getting yelled at by my mother yesterday while I tried to shop for a few groceries, over slights her sister made to her 20 years ago, and me not being supportive of her, etc. 

It's a stressful time. Me, I'm headed to the dog park, then to make banana muffins and keep the laundry going. 

• Like 4

Agreeing. In Port Saint Lucie they have a special needs shelter for people with medical needs. My parents evacuated to a friend's house further inland.

For the record, it is NOT advised nor feasible for everyone in the path to evacuate.

We have well defined evacuation areas that err on the side of safety. If you aren't in those zones it is not advised to evacuate. Go to a shelter or friend's house is your house is unsafe, or you have unique medical needs that require power, etc. But there are only a few roads out of the entire state, because we are a peninsula, and they can't hold all of us.

And even up to a few hours before, it is unknown exactly where it will hit. It is really not possible to know where to evacuate TO, other than maybe Orlando, where I am.

One not so smart person told me they were evacuating from Melbourne to Tampa back when it was predicted to go east. I warned her not to, due to not knowing where it would go yet. Yeah, now it's going to be hitting Tampa.

If you evacuate too early you don't know where to go. If you wait till you know, it's too late to get very far.

• Like 2

Watch out North Georgians.  The European model which has predicted this storms path and intensity very accurately is saying you will be getting hurricane force gusts for hours and hours.  I am keeping a close eye on things.  If it does not come into Florida lower end but stays out to sea a bit more, Alabama, my state will be getting more of those hurricane force gusts.  All I know is that our rain chances and totals way up here in Northern AL keep getting higher and with more days of rain,  

• Like 2

Well, with every window my husband boards up the thing seems to move further west. By the time he gets the last boards up it should be on a path to just go out to sea :)

Sorry, just trying to insert some levity :) I know we are all worried. And it makes people crazy (not here, in real life). Spent half an hour getting yelled at by my mother yesterday while I tried to shop for a few groceries, over slights her sister made to her 20 years ago, and me not being supportive of her, etc. 

It's a stressful time. Me, I'm headed to the dog park, then to make banana muffins and keep the laundry going. 

The bolded is what terrifies me, as a Tallahassean. :( We have so many people who have evacuated TO here. If it stays over the water and heads for us...

Edit: Not that I want your husband to stop boarding up the windows. ;)

Edited by purpleowl
  • Like 2

It's also not necessary to leave the state when you evacuate. As Katie posted, there are good shelters in Florida.  The governor keeps repeating this at each of his press conferences.The problems on the road are cause by everyone trying to use the two major roads out. We only have one way to drive out of the peninsula - up.

As for evacuating too early I always feel like I'm talking to a wall when I rail against this every time a storm comes our way. 

As a long time Floridian (not native but most of my life) I laughed, especially because it's the same at my house. I'm enjoying all the funny memes on social media. They help.

The bolded is what terrifies me, as a Tallahassean. :( We have so many people who have evacuated TO here. If it stays over the water and heads for us...

I have several  friends who evacuated to Tallahassee. Some went to Tampa. It makes more sense to wait and watch then go to a local shelter if necessary. 

I think much of the problem with early evacuations is a first world problem. People want to be in a comfortable hotel rather than a shelter, and if they can afford it they go ahead and leave early to get the best rooms.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Regarding evacuation, there are two things to be concerned about.  The first is the water (rain and/or flood surge causing flooding).  These are what the evacuation zones in FL have mapped out and what evacuation orders are based upon.

The second - and often forgotten one - is the wind.  Newer houses that were built since Hurricane Andrew are built to a higher hurricane (wind) code and should fare better - emphasis on should when they haven't been tested IRL, but wind tunnel tests are better than nothing.  Older houses are hit and miss.  Where Andrew hit - ground zero at Homestead - many houses and buildings were totally wiped out.  Whole subdivisions were gone.  This led to better codes for building.  If outside of that hit zone as my dad was 80 miles north, houses did fine unless a tree hit them or whatever.  The area that gets the strongest winds is the bullseye for wind damage.

In my uncle's case, he's in a zone that should evacuate at 10.1' according to the county map I saw.  They are calling for surges up to 12' in his area.  That has me a bit concerned, but there's no mandatory evacuation for his area AND he can go to the second floor of his building so he feels safe and I feel better knowing he can access the 2nd floor.  An older map had his area evacuating at 14.4'.  Which was right? Who knows...  The bigger unknown is whether his building can withstand the wind.  Time will tell on that and so much will depend upon whether Naples gets a direct hit or is a few miles off.  He's confident.  I'm hoping for the best.  He has food and water.  If he survives the winds (and stress!), then all should be ok.

Since we hope to move part time to either FL or the Caribbean (snowbirding) in the next few years, I've made a personal note to be CERTAIN we buy into a newer condo rather than older - and higher than 1st floor.  Probably even higher than 2nd, but not top where the roof can fly off.

• Like 1

Katie, did you guys get rain yesterday? We got quite a bit and it's raining right now. Dh and ds got wet putting up the shutters. They only have one more window outside so they won't get too wet today. The other windows are the French doors but they're on the screen porch so they can stay dry. Those always go up last.

edited because autocorrect changed shutters to shelters, but I was already quoted :)

Edited by Lady Florida.

It makes more sense to wait and watch then go to a local shelter if necessary.

This has its drawbacks too.  Many local shelters are already full - filling more or less as soon as they opened after people waited in line for hours for them to open.  Those who waited might not find room.

I'm not sure there is any single correct answer for what to do in this situation.  It's unlike so many others that have come before.  One has to use their best judgment knowing their own details.  I know if we had been in the hit zone we'd have boarded up and left early, but we have multiple places we could go and it wouldn't bug us at all if we returned only to find nothing had happened.  My son is not at Eckerd this semester, but I'm also glad they evacuated early - as are his fellow students who are there.  If it doesn't hit - no harm done.  If it does... far more difficulty for many to have waited.

• Like 2

This has its drawbacks too.  Many local shelters are already full - filling more or less as soon as they opened after people waited in line for hours for them to open.  Those who waited might not find room.

I'm not sure there is any single correct answer for what to do in this situation.  It's unlike so many others that have come before.  One has to use their best judgment knowing their own details.  I know if we had been in the hit zone we'd have boarded up and left early, but we have multiple places we could go and it wouldn't bug us at all if we returned only to find nothing had happened.  My son is not at Eckerd this semester, but I'm also glad they evacuated early - as are his fellow students who are there.  If it doesn't hit - no harm done.  If it does... far more difficulty for many to have waited.

I meant wait for shelters to be announced and to open. People leave to go out of state days before shelters even are opened. Sorry that wasn't clear. 

• Like 2

I meant wait for shelters to be announced and to open. People leave to go out of state days before shelters even are opened. Sorry that wasn't clear. 

But even so, there isn't enough room in local shelters for everyone.  If folks like us or our college boy prefer to leave days before, there's absolutely no harm and it frees up room for others who might really need it.

Having a mix of viable options works the best in situations like this one where there is so much need. 

• Like 6

Someone upthread has a friend who is on St. Thomas.   I just watched a video on FoxNews.com with an interview with a woman who lives there and has been through Hurricanes there before. She said they may be able to reopen the airport on the 12th, with a temporary control tower and primitive facilities. The people will probably just board the aircraft, without going into the terminal building.  The hospital has been damaged, I think the roof came off and they have taken some patients to St. Croix and others to San Juan.  She said something about the last 2 seats out of there were USD$3000 each or $6000 each.  I wonder if that was on a Charter Jet or on a scheduled air carrier?  I suspect your friend will be on St. Thomas for awhile and hope that she will stay safe. As long as she has safe food and safe water or whatever to drink, she will be fine. 

We thought FIL was evacuating. Turns out they are still in Naples, but left the condo to shelter in the "hurricane safe" home of friends. There are half a dozen people in the house, including some strong young folks (but no children), and they have water and supplies for thirty days. DH is so worried but I know his dad is smart, very capable as a former Navy man and current coast guard auxiliary communications operator, and he and the people he's with have lived in FL for decades. Still, how we wish this was over.

• Like 9

But even so, there isn't enough room in local shelters for everyone.  If folks like us or our college boy prefer to leave days before, there's absolutely no harm and it frees up room for others who might really need it.

Having a mix of viable options works the best in situations like this one where there is so much need. 

But. Everyone. Does. Not. Need. To. Evacuate. 

ETA: There have been repeated statements from local and state officials telling people not to go to a shelter if they don't need to. If everyone would do what they should instead of freaking out, there wouldn't be shelters packed with people who would be safe at home and the roads wouldn't be packed with people who don't need to leave. This is what I have been trying to say over and over and over and over in this thread. Katie (ktgrok), a native Floridian, seems to be the only one who understands this.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 12