Menu

My stitch fix is here!!

Peaceseeker

So my box arrived a little while ago and I think overall this was better than the first box. I may even keep some of it, lol... I am not good at finding links but I will put item names in case anyone wants to look at what they are sending out.

What I received:

1. A black and white cardigan with fringe (Laila Jayde Roslin Fringe Detail Cardigan).

My first thought was NO WAY, total granny sweater and I dislike fringe. But after trying it on I am reconsidering. It is very comfy. I don't think it is super fashionable though, although maybe if I did as they suggest in the card and pair it with teal skinny jeans and a floral shell it would look younger. I have a feeling I will wear it paired with black dress pants and age myself 10 years if I keep it but did I mention it was comfy? $58.00

2. A maxi skirt in geometric print in teal, green, and white. (Market & Spruce Char Geo Print Maxi skirt)

It would look super cute as they have suggested with a white shell and a jean jacket. A bit more spring while I am in total fall mood right now, but definitely my style and I will probably keep it and wear it next year. It is long though, I always feel like I have to hitch these maxi skirts up to my books! (is that what I am supposed to do with a maxi skirt? They always look long enough to be a tube dress on me and folding the fabric over looks weird and the patterns never seem like good hem candidates) $58

3. A soft white cropped sweater (Renee C Rubie Cropped Knit Top)

This is a terrible style for me.. just, no... $38.00

4. Dark blue straight jeans (Liverpool Collen Straight Leg Jean)

So they listened to my feedback and sent straight jeans instead of skinny jeans. The are very long though and would need a hem. The fit was really nice just like the last ones. I have dark blue straight jeans though so not sure I will keep these. The jeans do make my backside kind of fabulous though, and so for that I am considering them. In general, I can find jeans I like much cheaper. I may take jeans off the list of stuff they send me for a while if I don't get these. I am a pretty basic jean girl so it is hard to shell out $80 for jeans. $78.00

And my favorite item....

5. A dark red jersey wrap dress (41 Hawthorne Jordana pleated wrap dress)

I love the color and the fit is great. I am not usually a fan of pleats near my midsection for obvious reasons, but it lays very nicely and kind of disguises the general midsection problem area. If I dress it up with heels and jewelry it might be the anniversary dress. I love a deep red for fall and it will look great with my new blonde highlights. I will most likely keep this one unless I talk myself back out of it $78

So there you have it ladies! The subtotal was $310.00 for everything but after the $20 styling fee/deposit and a 25% discount the whole box would have been an additional $212.50 which is not bad if I loved it all. I did some math and it is actually cheaper to keep the whole box if I want to keep the jeans and the granny cardigan. Pretty much if I decide to keep even just 3 pieces it is almost the same as keeping the box. But what to do with the crop top? If I had gone shopping at the store I could probably have found similar items a bit cheaper. But I have no time to go to the store, and it would literally take hours and hours. Just getting to major shopping is an hour's drive and I could spend all day trying to find a dress I liked and maybe still not find it. So I do factor in my time (which I greatly value) and my gas.

Still considering what I will do, but I will definitely add a note to my stylist that crop tops and large busted women are only a good combination in music videos.

Sorry this is so long- trying to be thorough for everyone interested or considering.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 3

I keep reading about people who get the Stitch Fix boxes and I don't really understand the appeal of it. It seems like at least half of the stuff ends up being the wrong style or color, or just something that the person would never consider wearing. I have also seen a lot of photos of people as they're trying on the new items, and I'm just not impressed. Is the quality a lot better than it looks in photos? Most of the stuff I have seen looks like something I would see at any lower-end department or chain store.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a personal shopper in a department store? I guess it might be more expensive, but it would eliminate the nuisance of having to send things back, and would also not have a styling fee.

• Like 1

I'm waiting on my second box to be delivered today. I told them I wanted skirts not dresses so we'll see.

Cat: The only time I've ever heard of a personal shopper is on tv and associated with the very rich.  I would still need someone to go out for me because I don't like doing the actual shopping. The walking around. The trying on. Yuck. It's just takes so long and is so boring. In my first box, I got two things I might not have chosen for myself but once I put them on I loved them. They looked better on me than on the hanger which is the opposite of what I experience when I go shop at a physical store. And returning items to Stitch Fix is as easy as pie. They send a bag that already has a label on it with your name. All you do is put what you don't want in the bag, seal it and drop it off at any post office box big enough to hold it. I used my UPS store because USPS picks up from there. Then you go online to your account and check out what you got. If you say 'keep' they charge you for it. If you say 'return' you don't get charged. If you exchange they charge you for it but send you out a replacement. I find it easier than returning things to stores. As for quality, I normally shop at Target and Kohls so the clothes from SF seem as good if not better than what I normally buy. You get what you pay for. The SF clothes are expensive but I factor in all the other benefits and it makes it a really nice service for me.

• Like 4

I have a pair of Liverpool pants (am dying for them to send me some Liverpool jeans) that I just love.  They look amazing on, and I always feel so good when I wear them.  I say keep the jeans :coolgleamA:

Sounds like your stylist did a great job.  Apparently there is some Stitch Fix facebook group where you can sell the items you get to get the 25 percent discount but don't want to keep.  I have no idea what it is called as I don't have facebook. 

Edited by Pink and Green Mom

It is definitely not high end- Similar though to what I might get at Macy's or Belk's? I don't normally shop in high end department stores and pay a ton of money for clothes. If I did, I would consider something like trunk club where I could really have fun customizing. Not in my budget though!

I think the appeal is for people who either dislike shopping or have no time to shop. I love to shop but I have no time because I work and I homeschool and my spare time is spent cooking, cleaning, and chauffeuring. When I finally find a day I can take to shop, I might spend a good 8-10 hours between drive time and shopping time and find only a couple of things I like if I am lucky. I am a picky shopper.

So if they can send a box directly to my house and find me even one or two things I like in a price range I can afford, it is definitely worth it to me. The return process is so amazingly simple. They pack a big bag in the box and you stuff everything in it and put it in your mail box or drop by the post office. Then you jump online and let them know why you didn't like it so they can customize better.

I would have never chosen something like this when I was younger, and might not again when the kids are launched and I have time to shop because I do actually enjoy shopping when I have the time. But for this particular phase in my life, I am willing to give it a try. For example, I was really stressing over the thought of never having time to go shopping for a dress to wear on my 20th anniversary, and now someone has picked me out a lovely red dress. Could I have found something similar or for less money if I went shopping for it? Yes. But it would have taken 1-2 long days of shopping that I just don't have right now. Possibly I could have found something online and chose it myself but might have had to go back and forth with returns and sizing. I like receiving several items as it increases the chance I will find something I like and keep and I like the easy return. I am paying for a service that is worth it to me right now. I can definitely see how it wouldn't be for every one but I am having fun giving it a try.

Now if I can just find time for the actual date :)

• Like 5

I got my box and loved most of it too, though it was cheaper if I kept all the items than returned the one I did I didn't want to keep something I didn't love and would wear. Definitely some stuff outside my comfort zone and I didn't have to go and shop for it.

Please don't share any cheat secrets! The idea of the surprise package is half the fun.

I'm still considering Stitch Fix but one of the things I DON'T like is the surprise factor.  That is not even remotely enjoyable to me.  Knowing there is was to find out in advance would definitely increase my likely hood of trying this out.

• Like 2

I keep reading about people who get the Stitch Fix boxes and I don't really understand the appeal of it. It seems like at least half of the stuff ends up being the wrong style or color, or just something that the person would never consider wearing. I have also seen a lot of photos of people as they're trying on the new items, and I'm just not impressed. Is the quality a lot better than it looks in photos? Most of the stuff I have seen looks like something I would see at any lower-end department or chain store.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a personal shopper in a department store? I guess it might be more expensive, but it would eliminate the nuisance of having to send things back, and would also not have a styling fee.

It appeals to me because I loathe shopping.  In reality I care nothing about fit or fashion or style but I do recognize that I actually have to own clothes and they do eventually wear out.  And once in a while I actually go somewhere that requires I pay at least a small amount of attention to my appearance. So I went last week because I really do need some new clothes.  I roamed through the store for over an hour and never even saw anything that I liked enough to actually try on.  

Clothes that fit, just appearing at my house without any thought from me sounds like a dream come true!

• Like 2

I totally understand where your coming from, but not everyone has access to stores with personal shoppers.  I live an hour away from a crappy mall.  I wanted to buy jeans last winter, drove an hour to the mall, and tried on tons of jeans and came home empty handed.  Stitchfix gives me the option of trying on jeans at home, and then popping them directly back into my mailbox if they don't fit.  That appeals to me!  I understand it doesn't appeal to everyone.  When your shopping choices are very limited, as mine are, it just seems like a fun way to experience clothing that I just can't find.  Sure, I can order anything I want online, but I guess I like the idea to telling someone what my body shape is, my size, my style, and making them do the leg work.  I hope that makes sense.  

• Like 2

I'm still considering Stitch Fix but one of the things I DON'T like is the surprise factor.  That is not even remotely enjoyable to me.  Knowing there is was to find out in advance would definitely increase my likely hood of trying this out.

Same for me - I HATE surprises of all kinds.  If anyone wants to know how to do it feel free to PM me. 

Night Elf, do you know there is a way to cheat to see what is in your box before it arrives?  I can tell you if you want to know....(I know some people prefer the surprise).

I would love to know too.  I just ordered my first box.  I should get it by next Wednesday.

I've gotten a few boxes in the past and for me, a mom to 4 young boys and a husband who works a lot, it makes sense. I don't have the time or energy to go shopping and then search out different things. Plus shopping is anywhere from 1-2 hours away for me...not worth the drive or gas. Also, they do tend to pick things you may not have picked for yourself, but end up loving (or in some cases hating). As for quality, I have found my things have held up well. I think there is only one thing that has worn out, but more from a lot of wear than anything.

• Like 3

Nordstrom has free personal shopping services, and they watch for sales for you and set aside items that you have requested when they go on sale.

I've tried this, and I have to say--two of my favorite blouses EVER I would never have picked off the rack but a PS got me to try them on and I love them.  I have had them for 4-5 years and they are wearing like iron, too.  Machine wash, hang to dry, so inexpensive to maintain.  Awesome.

• Like 4

I find clothes shopping horribly depressing. Nothing ever fits right or looks at all good on me.

The clothes that I got from Stitch Fix all fit (even the pants!) and looked good! In order for me to find an outfit that I feel even remotely good in, I usually need to try on at least 100 things. I DO NOT have time for that. And the more things I try on that looked great on the hanger, but awful on me, the worst I feel.

I don't know of any stores in my area that have personal shoppers, so that isn't an option.

I signed up to get a box every 3 months. I'm really curious what my 2nd box will be like.

• Like 3

My first Stitch Fix box was a win.  It contained a striped tank top, peach shorts, white skinny jeans, denim jacket and blue floral dress. The stylist definitely looked through my Pinterest account and took my notes into consideration.  I already own white jeans and a denim jacket so those went back, but I kept the other three items and have gotten compliments on them every time I have worn them.  My only complaint (so far) is quality.  Both the dress and tank look like they will/are pilling already.  The clothes are too expensive to pill after just a month's or so worth of wear.  The next box is scheduled for September, which is weird because I chose monthly and my last box came in July.

• Like 2

Well, like someone else here, can't remember who, my second box was a bust. My first box was wonderful. The stylist sent me things that are me. I got the same stylist for my second box and it was like she was shopping for someone completely different. I did not like one single thing. It's all going back.

However, I must admit their customer service is exemplary. I exchanged shoes from my first box. I waited a week and didn't get an email about when that exchange was  mailed. I contacted them about it. She looked into it and found the tracking number but no other information so she assumed it was lost in transit and immediately sent me a new pair of shoes with a new tracking number. Later that day, I got two emails, both tracking numbers saying my shoes would be here on Friday and on Saturday. So I contacted her back and told her I didn't want to be charged twice. She assured me that wouldn't happen. She said keep the shoes I get on Friday and when the ones on Saturday arrive, put them in the bag of items I'm returning from my second box. She even extended the return date so I had time to get the shoes and get the package to the post office. So kudos to her! Although I did save all those emails to use as proof if anything screwy happens. I did get both pair and I'll take the package to the post office Monday morning.

I did not order a 3rd box yet, although I was tempted. I wanted to see if she would do better but I was so disappointed that I didn't want to chance it. Instead, I found a skirt and blouse on Amazon that I received today and they are both wonderful. I plan to get a 3rd box in December as my Christmas gift.

• Like 3

I see you have already gotten several responses but since I'm the Hive Stitch-vangelist, I want to respond too. :)

Re: Why would I do Stitch Fix? So very many reasons! I am actually rather good at putting together a cute outfit and I know what I like and what looks good on me. BUT! Finding what is in my head is SO HARD and time-consuming and annoying and dreadful. I hate it so, so, so much. I don't know which stores might have something like what is in my head. Then, I perhaps stumble across something that is like what's in my head, but they don't have my size, or they only have my size in the color that I'm not looking for, or I would love it but the fabric is too thin or is see-through (this happens over and over and over...). There are two "fancy" malls I normally go to and one less fancy mall; the fancy malls are more likely to have some things I like, but they are also all-around bougier and farther away and I have to plan to go for hours and I will also eat some food and honestly, I will waste money trying to make the shopping experience better. I would rather just pay a $20 fee and a small upcharge on each item I buy.

Re: personal shoppers. They do have one at Nordstroms, but I would be way WAY too intimidated to ever do this. Stitch Fix is, yes, more expensive than just shopping myself, but I still have a good idea what ballpark we're talking about. Nordstroms has $800 shoes. That is not my ballpark. 😉 I don't have that sort of personality that could directly say, to a living, breathing human being, "Yes, I want a stylist to dress me, but the total for five items and styling cannot be more than $300." Stitch Fix lets me make all my demands through on-line text; it's like the phone-phobic introvert's Most Ideal Possible Interaction. 😊

Re: quality. The quality of each thing I have kept has been equal to or better than what I usually buy. I did have one small issue with the necklace; the jump ring fell off. But I have a pair of jewelry pliers and I bent it open and put it back on and closed it up. This has happened to me before with other department store jewelry, so no big deal. I don't know how the items will wear over time, but so far I am totally happy with the quality of the clothes I have kept.

Basically, I know not everybody will like this and I'm sure it seems strange to some people. but I am really loving it at the moment. I am "sad" that I am making myself wait until the end of September for my next box. I really want some great new fall clothes, since I have not managed to get a good, solid set of fall and winter clothes in several years due to my ineptitude at shopping. So I am excited at the prospect of having some great new fall clothes just show up here without ke having to mess around and try to find them.

Also, returning to SF is extremely easy. With regular on-line shopping, mail-order things that didn't pan out is something I hate just as much as shopping in person because many companies do not make it easy. I have kept things I don't want because returning it was too much effort and/or cost money. But SF returns are SO SIMPLE. It is part of their model, so it is just as easy as sending back a Netflix DVD. (Remember when Netflix was just DVDs by mail? Like that.)

• Like 2

Quill said:

""Re: personal shoppers. They do have one at Nordstroms, but I would be way WAY too intimidated to ever do this. Stitch Fix is, yes, more expensive than just shopping myself, but I still have a good idea what ballpark we're talking about. Nordstroms has $800 shoes. That is not my ballpark. 😉 ""

ACK!  I have never ever tried on $800 shoes, let alone purchased any.  Nordstrom has much cheaper shoes than that, and they take returns even of worn ones if they don't work out.  I hardly ever use that privilege, but am always glad it's there.

• Like 1

Can you request natural fabrics for the clothing from StitchFix? Or at least that the items be mostly cotton or mostly wool? (Not a huge fan of linen because it wrinkles too much.) Or are most of the things received poly-, nylon, or other synthetic blends?

• Like 1

I think I have talked myself out of the skirt and the jeans. I am just having a hard time with the cost I guess. I am in the middle of a home renovation project so most of my money needs to go towards that and not towards $80 blue jeans (however fabulous they make my backside look). I am still dreaming about that retro fridge for my new kitchen and I don't really NEED the jeans.

My husband did say that I absolutely have to keep the red dress and that it is not allowed to go back. 😃 So I guess I have my anniversary outfit at least. I think I will continue monthly and see what happens next month.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 3

Quill said:

""Re: personal shoppers. They do have one at Nordstroms, but I would be way WAY too intimidated to ever do this. Stitch Fix is, yes, more expensive than just shopping myself, but I still have a good idea what ballpark we're talking about. Nordstroms has $800 shoes. That is not my ballpark. 😉 ""

ACK!  I have never ever tried on $800 shoes, let alone purchased any.  Nordstrom has much cheaper shoes than that, and they take returns even of worn ones if they don't work out.  I hardly ever use that privilege, but am always glad it's there.

Personal shoppers always ask for your budget.  They are not going to try to sell you $800 shoes unless you ask for that budget range.  

• Like 2

Can you request natural fabrics for the clothing from StitchFix? Or at least that the items be mostly cotton or mostly wool? (Not a huge fan of linen because it wrinkles too much.) Or are most of the things received poly-, nylon, or other synthetic blends?

I doubt it. There are a lot of synthetic blends. You could always ask them, of course.

Personal shoppers always ask for your budget. They are not going to try to sell you $800 shoes unless you ask for that budget range.

Yeah, but I'm a chicken. i perceive that service as being directed at the shoppers with thousands of dollars to spend.

It's like - have you ever watched the show Say Yes to the Dress? At Kleinfelter's bridal salon in NYC, a person coming in with a budget less than $5k gets that sort of eyeroll from the consultants and they act like there's no such dress.

I like that Stitch Fix is not happening in person. Let them roll their eyes at me on-line. I don't even know what would happen if an IRL personal shopper picked out five things I don't like.

• Like 2

I think I have talked myself out of the skirt and the jeans. I am just having a hard time with the cost I guess. I am in the middle of a home renovation project so most of my money needs to go towards that and not towards $80 blue jeans (however fabulous they make my backside look). I am still dreaming about that retro fridge for my new kitchen and I don't really NEED the jeans.

My husband did say that I absolutely have to keep the red dress and that it is not allowed to go back. 😃 So I guess I have my anniversary outfit at least. I think I will continue monthly and see what happens next month.

That's sweet that he wants you to keep the red dress.

I say send back the jeans and the shirt you don't like, even if it works out the same price-wise as getting the whole box discount. I think it is important to sort of show them what we want/don't want by returning the Nos.

There is a selection box where you can tick off different fabrics that you would NEVER wear. I forget all of the choices though.

• Like 1

Yeah, but I'm a chicken. i perceive that service as being directed at the shoppers with thousands of dollars to spend.

It's like - have you ever watched the show Say Yes to the Dress? At Kleinfelter's bridal salon in NYC, a person coming in with a budget less than $5k gets that sort of eyeroll from the consultants and they act like there's no such dress.

I like that Stitch Fix is not happening in person. Let them roll their eyes at me on-line. I don't even know what would happen if an IRL personal shopper picked out five things I don't like.

Quill, I don't really like to shop in-store because I get overwhelmed, they don't always have my size in stock, and then I end up leaving with nothing because I can't decide if I really like something with just a few minutes in the dressing room.  I LOVE shopping Nordstrom's online though. Their website has very good search bars to narrow down what you're looking for. And returns are as easy as putting the provided label back on the package and sending back usps. They really do have all price points and good sales.

Just wanted to encourage people to give Nordstrom's a try, although after reading these Stitch Fix posts I can see the appeal for some ladies, and if it works for you, that's great too. :)

• Like 1

Nordstroms just came out with its own stitch fix like service, too. I've been seeing it in my FB ads. I think theirs is more along the lines of them sending a complete outfit (including shoes & accessories) rather than 5 semi-related items.

• Like 4

Nordstroms just came out with its own stitch fix like service, too. I've been seeing it in my FB ads. I think theirs is more along the lines of them sending a complete outfit (including shoes & accessories) rather than 5 semi-related items.

Oh, I had to go look that up because I hadn't heard of it--Trunk club.

I get fb ads for mm lafleur which is similar but marketed towards workwear I think.

I guess this idea is becoming more popular now!

• Like 1

Well, I admit my experience with a personal shopper is limited to 3 occasions, but all have been very positive ones.  All 3 times I was looking for something for a special event and just didn't know where to start.  I certainly didn't and don't have thousands to spend (I wish!).  They do try to get you to use them again, and if I disliked shopping, I probably would.   I can honestly say none of the personal shoppers I had ever gave any indication they were rolling eyes at me, my figure, my budget or my requests.  They all seemed like they really enjoyed pulling things and putting together outfits that would make me look and feel my best.  They really knew their stock and collections way better than I was going to just by browsing.  There were some really neat things I never would have thought of if not for them.  I also learned some really great styling tips and tricks that have been so helpful in my everyday and workwear outfit planning. 

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 2

Do any of you read In-Style magazine?  Before the recent format change (yuck! - but another thread...)  they used to have features where they'd show 1 or 2 complete outfits on a page including shoes, bag, accessories.  There were usually themes to them, like 2 ways to wear a particular style of coat or dress or top, etc.  

I always thought it would be great if you could just order the whole set in your sizes.  I'm just reminded of that because I looked up the Nordstrom service (Trunk Club) and it looks kind of like that idea!  I wish they would do that up here.  Or The Bay should do it.  That would be fashion heaven!  

I'm so jealous.

• Like 1

Many of the podcasts I listen to tout Le Tote. It's sort of like Stitch Fix but you're not buying the clothes- you pay a monthly fee and wear what they send as much as you want and send it back when you're tired of it.  You can wear everything once and send them back for another box- or keep them all month. It's a monthly charge so it's the same whether you keep one box all month or wear things, send them back, and get like three or four boxes in a month.  If there's something you really love you can buy it. 

I'm enjoying all the Stitch Fix posts- glad you guys are super happy with the service. I wish I was into fashion, or at least into looking more pulled together than I usually am. But the reality is that my life is mostly home renovations and puttering around the house. g

• Like 1

Ugh, I can relate to this. I have finally found my voice telling the hairdresser what I want done.

The anonymity is a plus I think.

• Like 1