Menu

I hate to ask such an ignorant eclipse question, but...

Ginevra

Is there anything to see/what does the eclipse look like if you are not in the path of the event?

I am not traveling for it and honestly, I don't find eclipses incredibly interesting, but I admit I don't know if everywhere not in the path just appears pretty normal? Or if a partial eclipse is visible from other areas? Will anything happen in Maryland when the eclipse occurs?

• Like 1

Hey, there are no ignorant questions about the eclipse. As long as you aren't asking to reschedule it like that one lady. :lol:

Where I live we're supposed to see an 80% eclipse. I think everyone in the US is going to see something, even if it isn't a full eclipse.

• Like 11

Yes, there is a website where you plug in your location and it shows you how much of the eclipse you will be seeing.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/sacramento

There is a space under the eclipse picture where you enter your city and state. Then a list pops up and you click again on your location.

Scroll down a little and you can play an animation of how the eclipse will occur in your area.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 6

Quill, not a dumb question.  It dawned (ha ha) on me today that we are in about 80% totality zone.  That's Philadelphia area, so you might be a little higher?  Anyway, I hadn't thought about getting glasses, till today.  I think it's too late to get the eclipse glasses.  

• Like 3

If you have eclipse glasses or can get them where you are, you can use them to view the partial eclipse. Glasses are for sale all over here (we're in the path). Put them on, look at the sun, and you will see a bite missing. If you are in the path of totality, eventually the disk of the moon completely covers the disk of the sun. If you're not in totality, it won't. If you can't get the glasses, you can also observe the partial eclipse with something as simple as a hole punched in a piece of paper. The sunlight streaming through the hole will reveal a shadow on the ground with a bite taken out of it. You only need eclipse glasses if you look directly at the sun. Incidentally, you don't need them at totality if you're in the path. You can watch the 2 minute show with no glasses.

• Like 3

I'm gonna view passively. I refuse to buy the glasses. I'm not convinced it's wise to stare even with them, and I don't think any of us have the attention span to watch the whole time. It's interesting to me, but it's not magic or anything. I am interested enough to make a pinhole viewer, but not so interested that I'll be depressed when it rains that day. We get a lot of afternoon rain in the summer, so I'm not counting on a clear day.

• Like 3

Is there anything to see/what does the eclipse look like if you are not in the path of the event?

I am not traveling for it and honestly, I don't find eclipses incredibly interesting, but I admit I don't know if everywhere not in the path just appears pretty normal? Or if a partial eclipse is visible from other areas? Will anything happen in Maryland when the eclipse occurs?

Anywhere not in the path of totality will look pretty normal in the sense that the reduction in sunlight will not be very noticeable. But the eclipse itself will be visible if you have the glasses or do the pinhole thing. 

Seeing a partial eclipse in person isn't that different from watching it on video, but if you're in the path of totality it's a pretty amazing experience when daylight suddenly turns to twilight, the temperature drops, and the stars come out. I got to experience one in 1992, and I'm excited that my kids will get to see this one.

• Like 4

Anywhere not in the path of totality will look pretty normal in the sense that the reduction in sunlight will not be very noticeable. But the eclipse itself will be visible if you have the glasses or do the pinhole thing. 

Seeing a partial eclipse in person isn't that different from watching it on video, but if you're in the path of totality it's a pretty amazing experience when daylight suddenly turns to twilight, the temperature drops, and the stars come out. I got to experience one in 1992, and I'm excited that my kids will get to see this one.

Darn it. I was hoping the temps would go down a bit. :)  We are in the high eighties percentile.

• Like 1

We are in the NW part of South America and will get a Partial Eclipse here. As I recall the entire event is almost 2 hours with the maximum obscurity in the middle. If it is overcast where you are that day NASA has 54 teams that will launch balloons and you can watch it on NASA.gov. Lots of information on that website

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

I'm in a 99.7% area. To say people here are excited would be an understatement. I'm like, meh. My kids will all be in school. I'll go outside if I think about it but I'm not going to any parties or anything.