Menu

Good news! My son knows everything!

Ginevra

I wish I was still young enough to know everything.  :lol:

If it's any consolation, it does get better. Not only did dss know everything at age 16, but dh suddenly lost all his brain cells and became the dumbest man on the planet (I escaped that fate, maybe because I stayed out of the discipline aspect). He didn't know anything and couldn't possibly have experienced anything. It took several years but when dss was in his early 20s, dh thankfully became smart again. Not only that, he became the go-to guy for dss to call for advice. 

• Like 4

I'm sure this is beating a dead horse with him, but this morning, I revisited this conversation, because he clearly does not know/has forgotten certain things. I told him about how, when he was 3 and DD was 6, I drove to a town 30 minutes away, paid for parking, and took him to Kindermusik; then drove home, only to drive back a few hours later, paid for parking again, to take DD to piano lessons at the same location, because they did not have overlapping classes for kids at those ages. I told him that I found a private piano teacher when he was six and DD was eight and paid him $20/week for several years, so he would learn music.

I reminded him that I joined a co-op when he was three, which I am still a member of, 14 years later, so he could find friends and have a classroom experience and take classes that are hard to provide at home. Later, I became a board member in charge of planning the classes because it was trending downward and I didn't like the class offerings for him.

I let him know that when he was still in utero (yes, really!), I put headphones on my pregnant belly and played classical music and a recording of me reading Goodnight Moon to him. Every day, from infancy on, I read to him at naptimes and at bedtime, and I played music as he fell asleep. Did he know I did that? Oh, I see, you didn't know that I did all that. Well, I'm glad you know now.

To his credit, he did say he thinks I misunderstood him; he is very grateful for all I have done for him. Still, umm...I want him to actually know all I did for him, because it was no small contribution. The very fact that I homeschooled him for all those years was because I was aiming for optimum development.

I also told him it is easy to speculate about how PS would have been good or better than HS when you haven't actually lived through it.

• Like 8

I LOVE this!  They read something on Google and suddenly become an expert.  My 16 year old ds knows a bunch of random factoids and can correct my husband even on intricate aspects of his career which he has been doing as long as ds has been alive.  Ds also knows everything.  Isn't it great?  I'm sure he'll be able to do our taxes and give us sound financial advice next.  

Ds 19 took a psychology class (2 classes actually) at the local CC and now knows all there is to know about human behavior.

edited typos

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

I'm sure this is beating a dead horse with him, but this morning, I revisited this conversation, because he clearly does not know/has forgotten certain things. I told him about how, when he was 3 and DD was 6, I drove to a town 30 minutes away, paid for parking, and took him to Kindermusik; then drove home, only to drive back a few hours later, paid for parking again, to take DD to piano lessons at the same location, because they did not have overlapping classes for kids at those ages. I told him that I found a private piano teacher when he was six and DD was eight and paid him $20/week for several years, so he would learn music.

I reminded him that I joined a co-op when he was three, which I am still a member of, 14 years later, so he could find friends and have a classroom experience and take classes that are hard to provide at home. Later, I became a board member in charge of planning the classes because it was trending downward and I didn't like the class offerings for him.

I let him know that when he was still in utero (yes, really!), I put headphones on my pregnant belly and played classical music and a recording of me reading Goodnight Moon to him. Every day, from infancy on, I read to him at naptimes and at bedtime, and I played music as he fell asleep. Did he know I did that? Oh, I see, you didn't know that I did all that. Well, I'm glad you know now.

To his credit, he did say he thinks I misunderstood him; he is very grateful for all I have done for him. Still, umm...I want him to actually know all I did for him, because it was no small contribution. The very fact that I homeschooled him for all those years was because I was aiming for optimum development.

I also told him it is easy to speculate about how PS would have been good or better than HS when you haven't actually lived through it.

My dd was like this. And now she's so much better. She went to college with a lot of those public school kids. And she really feels sorry for lots of them. They got straight As in high school, thought they were great students. And were woefully unprepared for college. They didn't have a clue. (Not all but lots)

I got the I'm glad I was homeschooled quote when my dd was 18. Years before I expected it.

• Like 1

Tangentially related--I was always calling my parents for advice about home and garden topics, because they've always had a nice garden and have done lots of diy home projects. Now I only call my mom, because the last time I asked my dad a garden question, he said, "Why are you asking me? Can't you look it up on the internet?" :O Thanks, Dad, love talking with you too! :D

• Like 2

This reminds me of a time when a friend of mine with kids in PS was complaining about the things they were wasting their time learning in school. (Presumably, she figured I was a good person to complain about this to, since I homeschool.) she said, "They had a quiz on the different gods of ancient Egypt! Like it's really important to know who the Sun God is." And I said reflexively, "Ra." And then I backpeddled, so she wouldn't feel bad, "Not that that's important to know, of course. Just that we have just been studying that, too." 😠Oops.

When my sister entered high school, she started at LaGuardia, for dance. And before she went in on her first day my mother cornered her and told her about how Terpsichore is the Muse of Dance. And my sister rolled her eyes and said this was stupid and nobody cared and nobody, but nobody, knew that but my mother.

On the very first day, in her very first dance class, guess what the teacher asked? And guess who was the only one who knew the answer?

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 8

Soon you will accept that everything lacking in his life in any way is always 100% your fault. Resistance is futile.

DDs do this, too. My two decades of home schooling? I should have sent them off to school so I'd have had time to work the out to lunch power mom's network. [eta her editorial opinion] Le sigh.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

Gosh, I fondly recall those days when *I* knew everything, and everyone's life would've been better if they'd just let me run it for them. :lol:

Oh, me, too!  I knew exactly the correct way that everyone should live.  It was like Flowers for Algernon!  I knew it all!  And now I know nothing...

I could be wrong, because I'm old and I don't know everything, but I think that when young people reference listening to a variety of music they aren't referring to multiplication songs AND songs with bible verses hidden in them.  They might have other genres in mind.

What I suggest you do is that every time you get in the car with him going forward, make sure you have something to play for him by a different artist.  You can start with these fine works, all chosen to appeal to teenage boys.  

Elmo

The Trapp Family Singers (with Japanese subtitles, because why not)

The Ink Spots

Various   Monks   Chanting

Kids Bop (Maybe load this up for when he's driving alone, to save yourself)

He'll either be really grateful, or develop some insight into the cons of being bullied.

Genius.

I think this is why some little old ladies are kind of senile - talking to the air without really caring if anyone is listening. They've raised (older) teenagers. lol

Perfect!

I wish I was still young enough to know everything.  :lol:

If it's any consolation, it does get better. Not only did dss know everything at age 16, but dh suddenly lost all his brain cells and became the dumbest man on the planet (I escaped that fate, maybe because I stayed out of the discipline aspect). He didn't know anything and couldn't possibly have experienced anything. It took several years but when dss was in his early 20s, dh thankfully became smart again. Not only that, he became the go-to guy for dss to call for advice. 

Aha!  This is happening in my home.  My poor DH is met with scoffs and eye rolls and I've been wondering what's going on because DH is actually pretty smart and quite competent.  

I had to smother the loudest snort on the planet when our 17 yo exchange student started off a conversation like this, "They are in their 70s and I'm a teenager, so of course I know much more than they do..."  It was all I could do not to let my extreme amusement show.  I was impressed he was so self-aware in that he knew Just How Smart he was compared to people with a lifetime of experience.  :lol: 

• Like 8

We send all the know-it-all Guheerts to college so they can go annoy other people instead! :sneaky2:

Your tolerance limit is a lot higher than mine :lol:

I told my kids outsourced teachers that I am paying for their services because my tolerance limit has been breached. Their teachers thankfully get it and most teach my kids once a week for an academic year so it is not that bad for them.

• Like 2

Thanks to my excellent memory (likely due to my parents' radio habits), I can recall a number of cringeworthy exchanges wherein I demonstrated my superior knowledge to my parents.

Guess it will be my turn soon!  :)

Though, the other day I made a wrong turn and didn't realize it.  I decided to turn on my GPS, which had me exit the freeway onto one road, turn, and get back on the freeway from another road - so I didn't realize I was turning around.  I was like, why are they taking me off this road just to put me back on the same road?  I was already going south on ___."  My daughter said with a grin, "you were going north."  Me, in my don't-argue-with-your-mother voice:  "No, I was going south."  Much later I realized that what I should have said was, "well if you noticed I was going north, why didn't you say something sooner?!"  I guess we intimidate our kids until they get to a certain size?

My parents used to have this joke ... ok some background - we do not come from college educated stock.  There is a cultural contempt for people who go off to college so they can get smarter than their elders - although you're cool as long as you don't act like an ass.

So they had this joke when some doofus would try to act smart:  "ohhh, you've got collage."

Well one day I felt it appropriate to inform them that "college" and "collage" aren't even spelled the same way.  :P

I think they already knew that ....

• Like 1

My parents used to have this joke ... ok some background - we do not come from college educated stock. There is a cultural contempt for people who go off to college so they can get smarter than their elders - although you're cool as long as you don't act like an ass.

So they had this joke when some doofus would try to act smart: "ohhh, you've got collage."

Well one day I felt it appropriate to inform them that "college" and "collage" aren't even spelled the same way. :P

I think they already knew that ....

LOL that is hilarious! Am I wrong in presuming an accent?

• Like 1

I'm a horrible adult child. I still think I know better than my parents.

I'm pretty sure karma is going to make me pay for that in a few years. The 7yo's "preview version" is bad enough.

Well...my dad and father in law are both 85 and yes, I do think I know better than they do.  As they have aged they have lost a lot of common sense and some decision making skills...among other things. So yeah, I'm that kid who thinks she's smarter than her dad, too. 

We've been trying for two years to get FIL to sign advanced directives. Last week he had to make some hard decisions about MIL and mentioned that maybe he should have done it earlier when she wasn't so sick. Ya think? 

I had a teenager at my office last week who was an expert eye-roller and painful sigher (as in....I can't believe I have to put up with this stupid doctor sighing). She started telling me everything I was doing..."You're checking my reflexes now to check my nervous system." (Me: That's right!) "Oh, you're checking my spine for scoliois." (Yes, I am!) Then she informed me that she took a month long anatomy class this summer and now "Knows everything there is to know about the body." 

In my head I was thinking "Gosh, I wasted those 4 years and $160,000 on medical school. Who knew I could have learned it all in one month?" In reality, I asked her how she liked the class and was very affirming about her interests. But it made me laugh in my head.

• Like 8

I had a teenager last year who tried to convince me that I should go to my boss and tell her to hire a special education teacher.  When I pointed out that I am a special education teacher, she clarified that she meant a "real" one, who used pencils (as opposed to iPads) and wrote notes to parents (as opposed to emails), and "helped people", by which I'm pretty sure she meant "did their work for them" (as opposed to modifying assignments and expecting students to complete them).  

• Like 3

I could be wrong, because I'm old and I don't know everything, but I think that when young people reference listening to a variety of music they aren't referring to multiplication songs AND songs with bible verses hidden in them. They might have other genres in mind.

What I suggest you do is that every time you get in the car with him going forward, make sure you have something to play for him by a different artist. You can start with these fine works, all chosen to appeal to teenage boys.

Kids Bop (Maybe load this up for when he's driving alone, to save yourself)

He'll either be really grateful, or develop some insight into the cons of being bullied.

So I read the OP to my son and then this post, but we didn't know what the Ink Spots one was. So we listening to it. O.M.G. We laughed and laughed! You are brilliant!

• Like 1

It's funny how they sometimes forget, or don't believe, that we ever had a life before they entered the world.  Little man, we were cool before cool was cool.

• Like 5

It's funny how they sometimes forget, or don't believe, that we ever had a life before they entered the world.  Little man, we were cool before cool was cool.

OTOH, they might find out how foolish we looked when we thought we were cool. Whenever I say anything to ds about getting a haircut his reply is, "Hey. I've seen your pictures with 80s big hair."  :lol:

• Like 3

It's funny how they sometimes forget, or don't believe, that we ever had a life before they entered the world. Little man, we were cool before cool was cool.

I need this on a tshirt. To wear with my docs and flannel.

• Like 3

Reminds me of this quote: "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." (Attributed, maybe apocryphally, to Mark Twain)

Thankfully, my kids have not yet reached this stage. But I remember *being* in this stage. I first read Sense & Sensibility when I was seventeen, and when I got to Marianne's line about how, at seventeen, one's opinions in life are tolerably fixed, I took it as self-evident truth. When I re-read S&S at 27 and got to that line, I laughed and laughed at the sarcastic perfection of it :lol:.

I am often astonished that the person I was at 15-20 turned into the person I am today.  

Which kind of worries me because I really like who my kids are right now.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

I gotta say, I love the Gregorian monk chant. I seriously want to play that to sleep.

I like to play it sometimes when I am working out on the ellipitical. Get a good rhythm going and shut my eyes, try to focus on breathing and listening instead of watching the timer, lol. 

• Like 1

Ha! Reminds me of the time last year when ds was telling me how worthless history is to study. He says 'they you stuff nobody knows or cares about. For instance, do you know what the Sherman anti-trust Act is?' I said yes I do. You could have knocked him over with a feather. 'You do? What?' I told him. He says, 'huh. Impressive'.

He really does think I am an idiot.

I sure hope that is something in US history, or I just might be an idiot

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk