Menu

Flying without an ID?

Daria

DS18 is at a pre-college summer program out of state.  He just texted me that he lost his state ID.  This isn't a huge surprise, he doesn't have a great track record for keeping track of things like that.

Anyway, he's supposed to fly home on Southwest Airlines in 10 days, so I'm trying to figure out options.  I think the following options are what we have:

1) Possibly order a new ID, and have it Fedexed to him.  I don't think we can make this work, due to the short turn around.

2) Trade in his tickets and have him take a bus home.  This should definitely work.

3) Take his chances at the airport with no state ID.  He will have college ID, if that would help.  

Anyone have any experience with this?

• Like 1

This is what TSA has to say:

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete a form to include your name and current address, and may ask additional questions to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You may be subject to additional screening.

You will not be allowed to fly if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends you to arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time to allow ample time for security screening and boarding the aircraft.  

I read this as maybe he will and maybe he won't be allowed on the plane, but I'm not sure whether it's "it pretty much always works", or "it rarely works" or somewhere in between.
  • Like 3

I have all our driver's licenses/state ID's and passports scanned into our computer. One time I had to email a copy to DH and have him go get a statement notarized attesting it was him. He was allowed on the plane with the printout and the notarized statement. ETA: The statement was by his boss and a work colleague affirming his identity.

Edited by Crimson Wife
  • Like 3

I have all our driver's licenses/state ID's and passports scanned into our computer. One time I had to email a copy to DH and have him go get a statement notarized attesting it was him. He was allowed on the plane with the printout and the notarized statement. ETA: The statement was by his boss and a work colleague affirming his identity.

That's a great idea for next time.  Unfortunately, there's no way I can scan a document we no longer have. 

• Like 1

I would overnight him the passport anyway, because it may help establish his identity.

Unfortunately his only passport was issued when he was a toddler.  I'm actually not sure we still have it, but even if we do, he looks totally different.

• Like 1

No, unfortunately his passport is expired.  

I agree - overnight the passport with delivery confirmation. (you want to be sure he actually gets it.)

an expired passport still has value.  I just had this conversation with 1ds as his is also expired.  it's still considered valid for passport renewal (dh has used an expired one to get a new one), the airport may still accept it because it is federal issued ID - with a picture.

eta: - just saw your update.  do you have a certified birth certificate?  does he have a credit card in his name?   if you can combine those with his college issued ID, it could help.

about nine years ago, 2dd was part of a group from her college who flew to another city for a presentation.  one prof came along. . . . not sure how it happened - but he was allowed on the plane without his driver's license. (he had her name on the van rental because they wouldn't rent it to him.).  not sure how he got on the plane to go back to school.  he did have school issued ID for the conference.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I agree - overnight the passport with delivery confirmation. (you want to be sure he actually gets it.)

an expired passport still has value.  I just had this conversation with 1ds as his is also expired.  it's still considered valid for passport renewal (dh has used an expired one to get a new one), the airport may still accept it because it is federal issued ID - with a picture.

Unfortunately, it's long past the point where it could be used for passport renewal, both because it's more than 5 years expired, and because he was under 16 (he was 3) when it was issued.   

If we decide to have him try to fly, and I can find it, I'll send it but I'm not confident.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it's long past the point where it could be used for passport renewal, both because it's more than 5 years expired, and because he was under 16 (he was 3) when it was issued.   

If we decide to have him try to fly, and I can find it, I'll send it but I'm not confident.

I updated my post when I saw how old his was - but I'll repeat.

do you have a certified birth certificate?

does he have a credit card in his name with him?  a bank access card?

combined with his student ID - it could help. is the student ID preprinted- or fill in the blank?

• Like 2

Maybe the county clerk or whoever issues the ID will be able to print a new one and mail it to him. If you live in a small town I'd say you have a better chance of this happening, especially if you have his birth certificate and the same last name.

• Like 2

I assume TSA has access to the database police use to look people up. If I get pulled over and don't have my licence on me, if I give my name and date of birth to the officer, provided the system isn't down at the moment, the officer can look me up and see my licence information, as well as criminal record and some other things. If they can look that up, it would seem to me that he should be able to fly, as long as he arrives extra early.

• Like 1

I updated my post when I saw how old his was - but I'll repeat.

do you have a certified birth certificate?

does he have a credit card in his name with him?  a bank access card?

combined with his student ID - it could help. is the student ID preprinted- or fill in the blank?

He has 2 current college IDs, one from the college where he's studying this summer, and one from our local CC.  He also has an ATM.  I can send him a birth certificate.

• Like 1

That's a great idea for next time. Unfortunately, there's no way I can scan a document we no longer have.

Does his college ID has his photo and birthdate? When I lost my passport (not US), they allowed me to fly on an international flight out of SFO with a photo ID and a notarized form from my embassy. I had my employee photo ID pass and another photo ID which has my name and birthdate.

• Like 2

I hope you still have the U.S. Passport that was issued when he was 3 years old!    Always retain expired passports.

Possibly they would accept that for ID, but obviously a Drivers License or something with a more recent photo would be much better.

Maybe the county clerk or whoever issues the ID will be able to print a new one and mail it to him. If you live in a small town I'd say you have a better chance of this happening, especially if you have his birth certificate and the same last name.

We live in a major metropolitan area.  Our local DMV will expedite a replacement if you present a plane ticket, but you have to go in person, and he can't exactly do that.  Otherwise, they will only mail it to the address that's on the card.  I can't have it mailed directly to him, and they ask for a 2 week turn around.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving on a trip , which makes it more complicated.  Even if it did come by Wednesday or Thursday of next week, I'd need to figure out a way for someone else to get it from the mailbox and overnight it.  

So, it's possible it might work, but if it didn't work we'd find out at the last moment.  Which makes me think that the bus plan is a better one. 

• Like 1

We live in a major metropolitan area.  Our local DMV will expedite a replacement if you present a plane ticket, but you have to go in person, and he can't exactly do that.  Otherwise, they will only mail it to the address that's on the card.  I can't have it mailed directly to him, and they ask for a 2 week turn around.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving on a trip , which makes it more complicated.  Even if it did come by Wednesday or Thursday of next week, I'd need to figure out a way for someone else to get it from the mailbox and overnight it.  

So, it's possible it might work, but if it didn't work we'd find out at the last moment.  Which makes me think that the bus plan is a better one. 

Can you go in person with his plane tickets (including the one showing he left already) and your ID showing you're his mother? I don't know how long the waits are, but we have online thing that shows the wait at various locations. I don't think ours ever answer the phone, so you'd have to go in person.

Can you go in person with his plane tickets (including the one showing he left already) and your ID showing you're his mother? I don't know how long the waits are, but we have online thing that shows the wait at various locations. I don't think ours ever answer the phone, so you'd have to go in person.

I'm pretty sure that they would not allow that.  Visiting our DMV is an all day affair, and taking off a full day of work for something that could possibly work isn't really an option.  I'd rather put him on the bus.

I'm pretty sure that they would not allow that. Visiting our DMV is an all day affair, and taking off a full day of work for something that could possibly work isn't really an option. I'd rather put him on the bus.

Municipalities vary so much on this, when I moved to a small town I was pleasantly surprised to find visiting the DMV took 10 minutes instead of all day.

Good luck finding a solution! Surely this isn't first time the airlines have had a similar situation.

Municipalities vary so much on this, when I moved to a small town I was pleasantly surprised to find visiting the DMV took 10 minutes instead of all day.

Good luck finding a solution! Surely this isn't first time the airlines have had a similar situation.

I put going to the DMV in the same category as getting a root canal, so I would definitely be pleasantly surprised by that!

Given that the bus is an option, there is a limit to how much I will suffer to solve this problem.  I figure that he lost it, if the potential suffering is equal on both sides, then he can take the bus.  I know I'd rather ride the bus from this city (which I did last October) than go to the DMV (which I did with him 4 months ago, because that time he lost his ID he was still underage and needed a parent to accompany him). 

• Like 1

Precedence of flying without ID, though I'm not sure I'd count on being able to replicate this result ... https://twitter.com/i/moments/680057794607853568?lang=en

And a similar story https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/tripping/wp/2017/06/24/yes-you-can-board-a-plane-without-an-id/

Though in the same situation, I'm really not sure what I would do.

OK, so I checked the bus times.  The bus leaves at 10:30 p.m., and gets here at 5:00 a.m..  His flight leaves at 5:15 p.m., so my instinct is to tell him to try for the flight, and then cancel and uber to the greyhound station if he doesn't make it.

My problem is, if he gets to the airport and checks his luggage and then gets denied by TSA, what happens?  Can he still change the flight and take advantage of Southwest's liberal change policy?  Can he get his luggage back?  Is there a way he can walk over to TSA and find out if they'll let him on?

Does anyone know?  

• Like 1

Given that the bus is an option, there is a limit to how much I will suffer to solve this problem.  I figure that he lost it, if the potential suffering is equal on both sides, then he can take the bus.  I know I'd rather ride the bus from this city (which I did last October) than go to the DMV (which I did with him 4 months ago, because that time he lost his ID he was still underage and needed a parent to accompany him). 

Anyone can lose their ID once.  In my house, if you lost your ID twice within a 4 month window, you'd be on the bus home.  

• Like 3

Anyone can lose their ID once.  In my house, if you lost your ID twice within a 4 month window, you'd be on the bus home.  

Actually, there was a third incident between the two other incidents, but he was an adult so we could order it online. 

He's a kid with pretty substantial mental illness and other issues that impact his memory and organization.  I'm not generally someone that does a ton of rescuing, but letting him feel the consequences of losing things hasn't helped in the past.  He's spent many days locked out of home because of lost keys, for example.  He's gone without a phone for long periods of time while saving up for a new cheapo pay as a you go one.  

If I tell him to take the bus, he won't complain.  But the fact that he has successfully managed a 6 week summer program away from home is a major major accomplishment and if I can have it end on a relatively high note with an airport reunion, rather than with the focus being on shifting plans, I'd rather do that. 

• Like 7

This is actually pretty common and I would be very surprised if he isn't able to fly.

My mom lost her drivers license once while visiting me. We called the airline ahead and they told us to just come early. It took about an extra ten minutes and then she was able to get through security.

• Like 4

It is my understanding that airlines are not allowed to send your luggage without you.  That being said, if he checks his bags, then gets turned away, he may not be able to locate and recover his luggage in time to make it to the bus station.  How much luggage does he have?  Could he take his luggage with him through security, then check it at the gate?

Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't be jumping through any hoops to fix this for him.  I'd tell him to go to the airport very early, at least three hours.  That way, if he doesn't get through security, he'll have time to catch a bus.  If he does make it through, he'll have to wait around in the airport.  Either way, he'll have plenty of time to think of ways to keep from losing his ID in the future.

• Like 1

Which airport is he going out of? Smaller airports that don't typically handle out of the ordinary things, tend to be more rigid on the rules and less flexible on things that are out of the ordinary. This is my experience. I would call ahead to the TSA there, explain the situation, and talk to a senior officer. See what they say. Actually since he's a legal adult, DS should call them.

• Like 3

It is my understanding that airlines are not allowed to send your luggage without you.  That being said, if he checks his bags, then gets turned away, he may not be able to locate and recover his luggage in time to make it to the bus station.  How much luggage does he have?  Could he take his luggage with him through security, then check it at the gate?

Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't be jumping through any hoops to fix this for him.  I'd tell him to go to the airport very early, at least three hours.  That way, if he doesn't get through security, he'll have time to catch a bus.  If he does make it through, he'll have to wait around in the airport.  Either way, he'll have plenty of time to think of ways to keep from losing his ID in the future.

He's got a ton of stuff, two large suitcases.  Because he's been living in a dorm, he's got bedding etc . . . In addition, he's got a whole bunch of tools (e.g. a saw) that he couldn't get through security.

• Like 1

DH went through this recently after getting his ID stolen while on a business trip.

--The college ID will help confirm his identity.

--I would go ahead and send the birth certificate as well.

--If he a credit or ATM card or an insurance card those will also help.

They will ask him some questions, he will get the enhanced screening, and he will be on his way.

I also recommend filing a police report on the lost ID. That will help with the process with TSA and also could be helpful if someone else ever uses his lost ID for illicit purposes.

• Like 3

Which airport is he going out of? Smaller airports that don't typically handle out of the ordinary things, tend to be more rigid on the rules and less flexible on things that are out of the ordinary. This is my experience. I would call ahead to the TSA there, explain the situation, and talk to a senior officer. See what they say. Actually since he's a legal adult, DS should call them.

Pittsburgh

• Like 1

I would have him figure out what he needs to do and then have him orchestrate it.

ETA:  Sorry--I didn't see your subsequent post where you said he has mental illness that impacts his executive functioning.  Obviously, my comment above would only apply to an 18yo without such challenges.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

Actually, there was a third incident between the two other incidents, but he was an adult so we could order it online. 

He's a kid with pretty substantial mental illness and other issues that impact his memory and organization.  I'm not generally someone that does a ton of rescuing, but letting him feel the consequences of losing things hasn't helped in the past. 

This may have been important info from the get-go, but if he's lost three IDs in four months, for whatever reason, I'd be very hesitant to mail an id like a birth certificate which may be even harder to replace.

• Like 2

This may have been important info from the get-go, but if he's lost three IDs in four months, for whatever reason, I'd be very hesitant to mail an id like a birth certificate which may be even harder to replace.

Birth certificates are super easy to replace.  They mail them to you and they cost way less than state ID's.  

I got a bunch last time, so I'd just have to mail one of them.

• Like 3

This is what TSA has to say:

I read this as maybe he will and maybe he won't be allowed on the plane, but I'm not sure whether it's "it pretty much always works", or "it rarely works" or somewhere in between.

I've managed to show up without my ID for a few flights in the last 15 years, though not in the last 5, but in all cases I've been allowed on as long as I go through extra security measures.

• Like 2

I've managed to show up without my ID for a few flights in the last 15 years, though not in the last 5, but in all cases I've been allowed on as long as I go through extra security measures.

Thanks!  That's reassuring.

• Like 1

Do you know how easy it is to get a replacement state issued ID in your state?  In my state you have to have certain code numbers off of your original ID to get a new one issued without you going in in person.  This number was in addition to your driver's license number (like a security code on your credit card).  So, unless you had a copy of the previous ID it was almost impossible to get this done.

• Like 1

Do you know how easy it is to get a replacement state issued ID in your state?  In my state you have to have certain code numbers off of your original ID to get a new one issued without you going in in person.  This number was in addition to your driver's license number (like a security code on your credit card).  So, unless you had a copy of the previous ID it was almost impossible to get this done.

It's not hard to get, it just takes a couple weeks to come, and he should be home before then.

Our state asks for the DL # (which we have) and his SSN (which we also have). 

• Like 1

Are you sure he will be able to take the bus without his ID?  Some bus companies require ID.  

In my experience, bus companies require ID to purchase a ticket, but not to board.

So, if I buy the ticket online and send it to his phone, we should be OK.

• Like 1

My DH just had this come up. A young man working at Philmont (scout camp) from out of state lost his drivers liscence and needed it to get home. He was told (by the airlines I think) to report the loss/possible theft to the police and have a report made. Then he was to take a copy of the report with him to be allowed on the plane. My DH was the officer doing the report.

I never heard anything else, so I guess thee kid got home.

• Like 1

The bus sounds really nice at this point.

DD23 was able to board a plane two years ago when her drivers license had not arrived in the mail by the time she needed to head back to college. She was able to board using her college ID with a picture on it, her debit card and the picture of her ID that DMV gives you to have while you wait. It took about an hour to get the extra info verified when she went to check in.

So it is possible, but not guaranteed. I am pretty sure my kids would have opted for the bus.

Get your ds to look really thoroughly through all his things. Lost cards can often be found with enough time and patient looking.  Unless he knows that the card has been stolen, he really should do a very detailed job looking for the card. Maybe this will help him in future from losing stuff like this. He needs to feel the pain his actions are causing.

Edited by wintermom

Same. And for international travel I make photocopies of everything to take along in case any IDs are lost. Makes me think we should do that for domestic travel, too.