Menu

PSA: Two things we learned about the Instant Pot only AFTER we received it

RegGuheert

TRIGGER WARNING: If you are uncomfortable reading sacrilege on these forums, stop reading now!

Here are a couple of things we learned about the Instant Pot after we received it that we wish we had known BEFOREHAND:

1)  The actual food capacity for each of the Instant Pot products is as follows:

"8-Quart" versions:  5.33 Quarts (4 Quarts for "foods that expand")

"6-Quart" versions:  4 Quarts (3 Quarts for "foods that expand")

"5-Quart" versions:  3.33 Quarts (2.5 Quarts for "foods that expand")

From the manual on page 3:

7.  Do not fill the unit over 2/3 full.  When cooking foods that expand during cooking such as rice or dried vegetables, do not fill the unit more than 1/2 full.  Over filling may cause a risk of clogging the vent pipe and developing excess pressure.  Please see "Food Preparation Instructions".

2)  You should NOT cook the following foods in an Instant Pot:

- Applesauce

- Cranberries

- Pearl Barley

- Oatmeal or other cereals

- Split peas

- Noodles

- Macaroni

- Rhubarb

- Spaghetti

8.  Be aware that certain foods, such as applesauce, cranberries, pearl barley, oatmeal or other cereals, split peas, noodles, macaroni, rhubarb, or spaghetti can foam, froth, and sputter, and clog the pressure release device (the steam release handle).  These foods should not be cooked in a pressure cooker.

That second one is particularly interesting since the ONLY thing we have ever actually seen cooked in an Instant Pot with our own eyes is macaroni and cheese. (You know who you are school17777! :lol: )

I'm posting because when I suggested getting the 8-quart Instant Pot for MomsintheGarden she hesitated, saying she thought it was too big.  So I called DD24 to ask her about the size since we had bought the "6-quart" unit for her last year.  She told me that she wouldn't want one that was smaller or larger than what she had.  Me reasoning for getting the "8-quart" unit was that if the "6-quart" unit was just the right size for ONE person, that it couldn't possibly be large enough for SIX people.  Now we understand why that is.

The pasta thing was a complete surprise to us.

In any case, we are glad we purchased the largest unit, even though it is HUGE.  The product looks extremely well-engineered.  We are hoping to get many years of use out of this product!

Hopefully this information will be useful to someone else considering an Instant Pot to help them to know whether or not it will be appropriate for their needs.

• Like 13

I actually cook oats and pasta in mine with no problems.  They do foam out through the release valve, but I just close it, wipe it off and reopen the valve.   I find a 6 qt is perfect for my family of four.  Four quarts of food is 16 cups, which is more than plenty for 4 people.  I do agree that an 8 quart would be needed for a family of 6.  I am not trying to pick on you!!  Just wanted to share my own experiences!  One more thing:  Those guidelines are for pressure cooking only, not using it as a slow cooker.

• Like 4

I can easily cook a meal for six to eight people, depending on what is cooking in the 6qt.  (Think roasts, chili, boneless chicken, any shredded meat, and so on.  Even stewp, in spite of the additional liquid!) 

Nonetheless, I got the 8qt because I like cooking in larger quantities, so that I can freeze lotsa meals. 

(ETA:  I'm not quibbling with Reg or Mom, just with the IP manual.)  That list of things that foam...psssh.   People cook them all the time under pressure, with the exception of rhubarb and cranberries, since I don't see those two commonly prepared.  (One could google  to see what experience others have cooking those two items...)

Mac and cheese in the pot is one of the best reasons to get an IP!

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2

TRIGGER WARNING: If you are uncomfortable reading sacrilege on these forums, stop reading now!

Here are a couple of things we learned about the Instant Pot after we received it that we wish we had known BEFOREHAND:

1)  The actual food capacity for each of the Instant Pot products is as follows:

"8-Quart" versions:  5.33 Quarts (4 Quarts for "foods that expand")

"6-Quart" versions:  4 Quarts (3 Quarts for "foods that expand")

"5-Quart" versions:  3.33 Quarts (2.5 Quarts for "foods that expand")

2)  You should NOT cook the following foods in an Instant Pot:

- Applesauce

- Cranberries

- Pearl Barley

- Oatmeal or other cereals

- Split peas

- Noodles

- Macaroni

- Rhubarb

- Spaghetti

That second one is particularly interesting since the ONLY thing we have ever actually seen cooked in an Instant Pot with our own eyes is macaroni and cheese. (You know who you are school17777! :lol: )

I'm posting because when I suggested getting the 8-quart Instant Pot for MomsintheGarden she hesitated, saying she thought it was too big.  So I called DD24 to ask her about the size since we had bought the "6-quart" unit for her last year.  She told me that she wouldn't want one that was smaller or larger than what she had.  Me reasoning for getting the "8-quart" unit was that if the "6-quart" unit was just the right size for ONE person, that it couldn't possibly be large enough for SIX people.  Now we understand why that is.

The pasta thing was a complete surprise to us.

In any case, we are glad we purchased the largest unit, even though it is HUGE.  The product looks extremely well-engineered.  We are hoping to get many years of use out of this product!

Hopefully this information will be useful to someone else considering an Instant Pot to help them to know whether or not it will be appropriate for their needs.

I've cooked most of those things, they work fine.  Check out the Instant Pot Facebook groups and such, you'll get good advice there on what you can really do with one.

• Like 2

They even have a recipe for oatmeal IN the manual! The same manual that says not to cook oats, lol! Don't worry about it. 

Edited to add: Their oatmeal recipe is awful, use the one on the This Old Gal website. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 6

I just don't know why anyone would cook pasta in it.  Anyhow, this seems typical for these devices in terms of the size.  Would be way better if they'd give the size based on how much food you can ACTUALLY fit in it.

I've got an air fryer.  Same deal.  They claim something like up to 11 pounds of food.  No way.  Not in any universe.  The largest thing I've done in it was a 5 pound chicken and that took up all the space.  It's one of the largest air fryers they make and yet I think I can do maybe 10 chicken wings in it.  Not a lot and they aren't THAT quick cooking.  It's turning out to be a good snack machine, but for a meal?  Not so much.  (It was a gift.) 

• Like 1

PSA: Take that manual advice with a grain of salt and join the Instant Pot Community on Facebook.

And take care when following any of the recipes that came with it. Other, unofficial websites have better recipes. I agree that the big facebook group is worth joining. 

Also, the following sites are great for finding recipes that actually work -

https://thisoldgal.com/

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/author/jackyamy/

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/

https://onceamonthmeals.com/?s=instant+pot&post_type%5B%5D=recipe

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/

• Like 6

We can pretend that pressure cookers are entirely safe, but that wouldn't be true.  MomsintheGarden was badly burned while using a pressure canner many years ago.  Her stepmother was here yesterday and indicated that she had had a "bad incident" with a pressure cooker, but she would not tell me what happened.

Here's a fairly recent article about someone who was hospitalized by an explosion of the food in a pressure cooker after it had already been opened.

Here's a YouTube video:

In the instant pot, even in slow cooker mode, if those vents get clogged, it could become a pressure cooker, but it is less likely to happen in that mode.  Fortunately, the Instant Pot has many "fool-proof" safety features designed to prevent an explosion.

I don't think anyone denies that pressure cooking can be dangerous, but we're also talking about electric pressure cookers, not stovetop ones.

Yeah that's what I thought.  I watched the video, but without the volume.  I thought that pot looks nothing like the IP and more like a stove top type.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone denies that pressure cooking can be dangerous, but we're also talking about electric pressure cookers, not stovetop ones.

And SOME electric pressure cookers (like the Instant Pot) are certainly safer.  But ignoring safety warnings is one way that consumer products become unsafe.

Here are a couple of videos on electric pressure cookers which do not have a great safety record:

Do not ignore safety warnings because bloggers are posting success with their methods that ignore safety warnings. RegGuheert is right - the IP manual says not to cook oatmeal or pasta because of the foaming issue. I have observed the same for some lentils as well when I cook them. The workaround to this issue is to put your oatmeal/pasta/lentils in a smaller pot (preferably kitchen grade stainless steel), add water to cook it in, add a teaspoon of cooking oil or butter to it, put 1 cup of water inside the IP inner pot, and then steam the oatmeal or pasta until it is cooked. This way, the foaming item will not flow out of its inner bowl and hence will not block the valve, the teaspoon of fat in the cooking medium will float on the hot water and work on breaking up the foam.

• Like 3

I cooked pasta in mine yesterday. One package of pasta, one regular jar of sauce, and one jar of water. Cook on high pressure for 1/2 of what the pasta package says. Instant release.

A friend of mine told me that plain pasta in water does indeed cause problems, but if it's in sauce, it's fine.

• Like 4

Here is an official recipe book you can download from InstantPot.com.

Page 29: Spicy Pasta Butterflies

Page 36: Peanut Chicken & Sugar Snap Peas with Noodles

There are also recipes using oatmeal on the official IP website and the official IP Facebook group, and the bloggers address potential foaming in the recipes anyway and have asked for and received clarification from the company. There's a reason that experienced IP users have said to take the manual with a grain of salt—and it isn't because we're not safety conscious. 

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 3

I just don't know why anyone would cook pasta in it.  

Does it come out overcooked? 

I was concerned because I will only eat al dente pasta. If it's even the slightest bit soft I don't like it. The Instant Pot will make perfectly al dente pasta, at least with the recipes I've tried so far. 

• Like 1

It's a glorified pressure cooker with magnificent marketing....

Really.

I'm amazed at how amazed people are with it. And yes, I've seen one in use, and eaten food cooked in it.

Of course it's a pressure cooker. It's a electric pressure cooker. The difference between the electric programmable ones (not just IP but Cuisinart and other brands) is that you don't have to babysit it as much as you do a stove top one. Pressure cookers in general, even stove top ones, have come a long way since I was young and there was a fear of the valve blowing. Electric programmable pressure cookers are like microwave ovens. Some people will only use them for basic stuff, some will make full use of them, and others won't like them at all. That doesn't make the IP or other electric pressure cookers unworthy.

ETA: The makers of IP did very little marketing at first. This is a true case where word of mouth did all the marketing for them.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

Do not ignore safety warnings because bloggers are posting success with their methods that ignore safety warnings. RegGuheert is right - the IP manual says not to cook oatmeal or pasta because of the foaming issue

And yet the manual HAS an oatmeal recipe!

• Like 3

Maybe. But I use a stovetop pressure cooker to cook lentils and oatmeal as well. The foaming issue is real, happens in both the stovetop and electric pressure cookers. I have had to soak lids in hot water to loosen crud in the vent holes and used a safety pin to dislodge the gunk in both my stovetop and IP pressure cookers.
  • Like 1

That reminds me of the huge controversy on the old boards, at least 15 years ago, when someone suggested boiling a can of condensed milk to make caramel. Some posters said "Dear God! Boiling a can will make it explode!" I got a can of condensed milk from my pantry, saw that it actually said not to boil it right on the can, a precaution that no other can in my pantry had, and decided I wouldn't do that, lol. 

• Like 2

That reminds me of the huge controversy on the old boards, at least 15 years ago, when someone suggested boiling a can of condensed milk to make caramel. Some posters said "Dear God! Boiling a can will make it explode!" I got a can of condensed milk from my pantry, saw that it actually said not to boil it right on the can, a precaution that no other can in my pantry had, and decided I wouldn't do that, lol. 

LOL! I remember that so well.

I haven't done it in ages (I'm low carb), but I grew up doing it all the time. In adulthood I did it in a crock pot.

• Like 2

:lol: People do it in the IP too!

• Like 2

Reg, I do oatmeal all the time in mine. Pasta occasionally, but I'm still figuring out how to keep it from getting overcooked. For oatmeal, I do pot in pot or slow cook overnight. Maybe pot in pot cuts down on the foaming? It hasn't really been an issue. I've maybe had it foam once or twice and have had to clean it all out.

As for size. I have five kids. One doesn't eat meat at all, and my little two don't eat large portions yet. So that's about three kids plus dh and me, and I like to leave enough for dh to take for lunch the next day, so that's about six servings of meat. Four or five chicken breasts plus a cup or so of rice (uncooked) plus a bag of frozen veggies plus about 60-75 ounces of sauce plus a little water fits well in my 6qt., although maybe slightly above the limit, and it feeds us well. Kind of depends on the kids' moods and how spicy the sauce is (they don't always want it when I make Indian style food).

But I just got the lovely 8qt. If it doesn't hold enough to feed my family, then I'm in trouble because anything bigger would take up an awful lot of space!

• Like 2

Reg: Interesting comments.. The bottom line is that I am happy that you are happy with the build quality and the design.

This is what is called "Truth in Advertising"?     Almost always, they exaggerate the benefits of a product.  The one exception I can think of is the "AB KING PRO" exercise machine. Years ago, my wife watched the "Informercial" for that product, numerous times.  We bought her one, on eBay.  After she got it, and she began using it, she told me, "it is better than the "Informercials" claim".   

That's so rare...    

We don't have an Instant Pot, but I am guessing it is something like a Pressure Cooker, but Electric?  

I hope you and your family enjoy your Instant Pot and get many years of trouble free use from it!

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the replies!  Here are a couple of specific followups:

I have observed the same for some lentils as well when I cook them. The workaround to this issue is to put your oatmeal/pasta/lentils in a smaller pot (preferably kitchen grade stainless steel), add water to cook it in, add a teaspoon of cooking oil or butter to it, put 1 cup of water inside the IP inner pot, and then steam the oatmeal or pasta until it is cooked. This way, the foaming item will not flow out of its inner bowl and hence will not block the valve, the teaspoon of fat in the cooking medium will float on the hot water and work on breaking up the foam.

A friend of mine told me that plain pasta in water does indeed cause problems, but if it's in sauce, it's fine.

The two above comments are very helpful in understanding workarounds for the issues raised in the manual.  Thanks for the explanations!

But I just got the lovely 8qt. If it doesn't hold enough to feed my family, then I'm in trouble because anything bigger would take up an awful lot of space!

Hi happypamama,

Thanks for the detailed reply!  Since you now have both the 6-quart and the 8-quart IPs, can you please tell me if you think the 6-quart pot is a good insert inside the 8-quart pot, or not?  I'm wondering if it fits well with the wire rack in place (or perhaps with something else there) and if it is easy to get it out or not. TIA!

It's a glorified pressure cooker with magnificent marketing....

Really.

I'm amazed at how amazed people are with it. And yes, I've seen one in use, and eaten food cooked in it.

No marketing by the company, just plenty of word of mouth. I've owned a stovetop pressure cooker and pressure canner that both were just too fiddly for me to use - enough so that they became dusty relics in my basement.

The IP is only revolutionary for me because it allows me to use a device I would not otherwise use and do so in a way that makes my life easier. Not your thing? That's ok.

OP - I do not make oatmeal in mine. I eat regular old, rolled oats (not instant) every morning for breakfast and just cook it in the microwave, since it only takes less than 3 minutes and we do individual sevings, using the IP doesn't make sense for us.

I have used mine for pasta, but it's about 1 1/2c of elbow pasta put in a thin layer on top of a thicker soup/goulash type dish. I top that with 2c of boiling water from my electric kettle and use whole wheat noodles. It cooks for 3 minutes at pressure and sits for 10 minutes before pressure release. I have had no issues with foaming from the pasta. The only things I've had issues with foaming is with beans, but only on pressure release. I am careful with my lid and vent pipe, but there has been no need to soak a lid or otherwise engage in labor intensive cleaning.

I have a 6qt that I've owned since 2015 for my family of 5. I bought the 8qt and am looking forward to it. I have wanted a second one for awhile now. The larger size will be helpful. The second pot will allow me to better handle multiple components. YMMV. If we're talking things people don't understand the hype about, sous vide and standard slow cookers are on my list. To each their own.

• Like 1