Menu

Breaking news...Otto Warmbier is being/has been released by North Korea Update: 6/19 Otto has died.

unsinkable

My dh advised him to get flag stickers from another country (a peaceful, apolitical one) to put on his bag and bike, so that he wouldn't stand out as an American, which our ds did.

This is extremely annoying to people from the countries that have the flags that Americans appropriate.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

I also read that NK launching a nuke or sizeable bomb in the atmosphere above the US is a possibility. That wouldn't kill directly, but would send an EMP.

One of that size would be a massive detriment to our power grid. Banks, communication, airlines, all disrupted.

The EMP threat from an atmospheric nuclear warhead is greatly exaggerated. Edited by ChocolateReignRemix

The EMP threat from an atmospheric nuclear warhead is greatly exaggerated.

Would love to hear more.  The info from my history is actually 3 decades old now and we went off theory, 'cause they frowned upon our testing it (by exploding a nuclear bomb in the atmosphere a mile or so up) to see what would actually happen. 

What have they done for testing and/or how has theory changed in the past 30 years?  I seriously haven't kept up, so not a sarcastic question.

• Like 2

Not to mention, one knows folks sporting those flags are usually Americans. ;)

Boats have flags (required by law). Most humans don't.

Canadians used to often have a flag on their backpack until Americans started putting Canadian flags on theirs.

My brother visited England when he was about 10 and had a bunch of kids threatening to beat him up for being American (we are Canadian).

When I went as a kid I remember aminosity against me for being American until I could convince them I was Canadian.

And that was back in the 70's... in a friendly country. I can't imagine it has improved one iota.

So Americans pretending to be Canadians, or from another 'safe' country really makes me mad because their behaviour reflects on the 'safe' country.... and it makes it more dangerous for us from the safe country because it is known that Americans do that and so we aren't believed when we say we are Canadian.

• Like 1

Canadians used to often have a flag on their backpack until Americans started putting Canadian flags on theirs.

My brother visited England when he was about 10 and had a bunch of kids threatening to beat him up for being American (we are Canadian).

When I went as a kid I remember aminosity against me for being American until I could convince them I was Canadian.

And that was back in the 70's... in a friendly country. I can't imagine it has improved one iota.

So Americans pretending to be Canadians, or from another 'safe' country really makes me mad because their behaviour reflects on the 'safe' country.... and it makes it more dangerous for us from the safe country because it is known that Americans do that and so we aren't believed when we say we are Canadian.

We usually get mistaken as Canadians - no flag needed. ;)  I've yet to feel any flack from it either - even after we confess to being Americans.  By the time we've gotten to that point, I think folks figure we're not from the typical American tourist mold.  I can also relate to being a mere mile (and that's a river) from being Canadian.  It may be how I developed my "not-American" style TBH.  Folks who share their reasons for their guesses say it's totally based upon style of travel (length of visit, length and types of foods, amount of complaining, amount of demanding details with various services, attire, knowledge of the world, friendliness, attitude in conversation, etc).  

I can't say I've ever seen a Canadian flag on a backpack held by Canadians, but I didn't travel internationally (except Canada/Mexico) in the 70's or 80's.

True. He's not in a coma. His condition is even more horrific than a coma.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/16/otto-warmbier-update-what-unresponsive-wakefulness-syndrome-can-he-recover/403475001/

But Janeway thinks he deserved this

I KNOW he's not in a coma. I posted in #40 on the 15th what the doctors said. Unresponsive wakefulness, no understanding of language, etc.

And I'm not Janeway, nor have I EVER implied Otto deserved this.

The EMP threat from an atmospheric nuclear warhead is greatly exaggerated.

People  in industries like Power Generation push that. Let us pray it is true.  They do not want to spend $$$ to harden their systems, for an event we must pray will not occur. But are there not some instances of EMPs caused by Sunspots or other natural phenomenon? Hardening costs $$$

• Like 1

Would love to hear more.  The info from my history is actually 3 decades old now and we went off theory, 'cause they frowned upon our testing it (by exploding a nuclear bomb in the atmosphere a mile or so up) to see what would actually happen. 

What have they done for testing and/or how has theory changed in the past 30 years?  I seriously haven't kept up, so not a sarcastic question.

Large numbers of nuclear warheads, which was generally the concern in the 80s, is a different matter than the fear of a couple of nuclear warheads launched in the atmosphere.  Isolated EMP attacks are still a real threat but are not capable of causing the widespread chaos some fear.

And yes, there has been some more recent research on it but I don't have any links handy.

What I read, during the past week or 2, was that there were a couple of Nuclear tests by the USA, approximately 1962, approximately 600 or 800 miles from Hawaii, as I recall.  There were apparently a lot of problems in Hawaii, for several years after that.

Large numbers of nuclear warheads, which was generally the concern in the 80s, is a different matter than the fear of a couple of nuclear warheads launched in the atmosphere.  Isolated EMP attacks are still a real threat but are not capable of causing the widespread chaos some fear.

And yes, there has been some more recent research on it but I don't have any links handy.

There will have to be some doubt kept about any hypothesis on this issue unless they have tested one a mile up or so, and if anyone has done so, I feel certain the world would know.  Small scale and ground/underground testing doesn't hold for this type of thing.  

Then too, there's still radiation released into the atmosphere which our weather quite neatly spreads out across our planet in a short period of time.  How much damage does that do?  No one really knows.  There are only theories gauged off things like volcanoes and sand storms.  I'm sure Fukushima has provided new data - and there's more from Chernobyl now than in my day when that was still quite new.  Neither were already up in the atmospheric winds though.

What I read, during the past week or 2, was that there were a couple of Nuclear tests by the USA, approximately 1962, approximately 600 or 800 miles from Hawaii, as I recall.  There were apparently a lot of problems in Hawaii, for several years after that.

This list appears to have the ones we knew about - Soviet and US.  It's what we worked our data off of - well, others did - that wasn't my part.  The potential for damage was severe.  That was known by my time.  Any way we wanted to tweak things to try to "improve" upon it (higher, lower, etc) couldn't really be tested.  It's why I wanted to know if there actually had been anything more recent.

http://www.atomicarchive.com/Timeline/Time1960.shtml

• Like 2

This makes me so angry. (Not at you sass! Talking about Otto's health...) That leader is horrific. Can't we get him assassinated? For those who know much more than me about their govt, what would likely happen if he were wiped out? Would communism fall there or would another leader, just as horrible, take his place?

As a thought exercise, ask yourself what would happen here if a foreign power assassinated our president.  Do you think it would cause a massive change in our form of government?

I would assert that it would not.  Our systems of government, our laws, our customs, and our culture are all *systems*.  Even when we wish to make systemic changes voluntarily, it is neither easy nor obvious how to do so.

Regime change from the outside is rarely constructive because those coming in from the outside have neither the knowledge nor the standing to make systemic changes.  At best it makes no real difference, at worse it creates an ugly power vacuum which can lead to even worse outcomes.  (Think ISIS)

It can be very tempting to see such abuse of power, such hatefulness and oppression, and long for a quick and easy solution.  ...but, however positive the intentions, those easy solutions are neither easy nor solutions.

This makes me so angry. (Not at you sass! Talking about Otto's health...) That leader is horrific. Can't we get him assassinated? For those who know much more than me about their govt, what would likely happen if he were wiped out? Would communism fall there or would another leader, just as horrible, take his place?

First of all, assassinating people is egregiously reprehensible.

And, then you face the dilemma of the devil you know, versus the devil you don't.  You have only to look at history to see that assassinating a despot rarely results in sustainable liberty of the people.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 10

This is extremely annoying to people from the countries that have the flags that Americans appropriate.

Agreed.  But I have internal conflict on it because I used to be an American (but renounced that when I became a Canadian).   TBH I never tell people IRL that I used to be American.  It's embarrassing, especially given current issues.  Some know because they've known me since I got here, or are related to me, but thankfully, no one ever brings it up.  It does bother me to see Americans vacationing here and trying to pass as locals.  It's ... ummm...  rather obvious they aren't.

• Like 1

True. I don't think it would make much difference here. But in a country like that, its very hard to imagine regime change from within.

It is hard to imagine, but the work and slow building of change it would take are also the things needed to change make the systemic changes.

I keep wishing I could share a (translated) copy of Blueprint for Revolution to folks everywhere who might want to drastically change their systems...

It is hilarious and moving and gives stories from the author's own experience overthrowing Milosevic in Serbia and the experiences of folks in other countries bringing change, in one way or another.  (All nonviolent and, imho, powerful).

Hmmm...  that's interesting.  I hadn't thought of that perspective before.  My ds didn't meet anyone who seemed annoyed by it at all when he met people on his year-long journey who learned he was American, but it's definitely something to think about!

Edited by J-rap

As a thought exercise, ask yourself what would happen here if a foreign power assassinated our president.  Do you think it would cause a massive change in our form of government?

Adding to that, how often is our country attacked and we cower down acknowledging just how "right" the attacker is?  Does any country do this?

'Tis human nature (esp humans in groups, like, say, countries) to want revenge when attacked and to up the ante.  Many people wonder how anyone can like him, but for a large majority of their population, that's all they know.  Some grow up to realize there's a difference, but in books (from those escaping) that I've read, vast numbers still blindly love their system and don't know to question it.  Then, as Lanny mentioned, they have oodles of conventional weapons we know they can use.  Many, many innocent folks would suffer with no guaranteed change.

War is rarely a solution and always a very costly solution (not just in terms of money).

• Like 4

Creekland, there's a couple things you stated that ring true for the us, at least in my eyes. I won't say more because... politics... but I can see how it's all they know.

It still all boils down to... if there were an easy solution, it would have been done.  We've had both parties in power who knew there was a problem.  That's not new at all.  A few decades ago there was this wee little Korean Conflict where we thought we'd "fix" it all easily.  There are things "Powers That Be" didn't realize would happen both inside and nearby.  They try to be more careful now some 30,000+ casualties (on our side alone) later.

If you dig deeper into the Hawaii incidents you will find the effects were greatly exaggerated.  The false versions get trumpeted frequently by the EMP preppers.

• Like 4

I agree that assassinating people would be a horrible thing to do. But specifically Kim Jong un? I have no problem with that. My hope was that when his father died naturally, a change would occur, but that sadly didn't happen. It's hard to be optimistic for a change.

ETA... although I would hope his own country would rid of him.

I can't morally endorse assassination, but I do think this is a case where one man (or family, if you look historically) is a lynchpin in holding up a whole evil regime. And I think NK is massively different from the example of assassinations in the Middle East where the history is so complex that no matter who is in charge there are going to be massive problems. This history is pretty straightforward - Russia installed a government there and propped it up for decades and allowed them to become utterly isolated from the world. There's no deeper issue of different religions, languages, ethnicities, etc. It's just been 70 years of this one oppressive regime. Which is not to say that assassination would solve things or that there couldn't be a bloody power struggle. But if the Kim family were to all die off suddenly, no matter what happened next, at least the country wouldn't be ruled by someone who literally thinks he's a god.

Which is all just to say that while I can't endorse assassination, I sympathize with your view.

• Like 5

I can't morally endorse assassination, but I do think this is a case where one man (or family, if you look historically) is a lynchpin in holding up a whole evil regime. And I think NK is massively different from the example of assassinations in the Middle East where the history is so complex that no matter who is in charge there are going to be massive problems. This history is pretty straightforward - Russia installed a government there and propped it up for decades and allowed them to become utterly isolated from the world. There's no deeper issue of different religions, languages, ethnicities, etc. It's just been 70 years of this one oppressive regime. Which is not to say that assassination would solve things or that there couldn't be a bloody power struggle. But if the Kim family were to all die off suddenly, no matter what happened next, at least the country wouldn't be ruled by someone who literally thinks he's a god.

Which is all just to say that while I can't endorse assassination, I sympathize with your view.

There needs to be a coup. The people have to rise up and overthrow him for any real change to start.

• Like 2

Otto might be helped by hyperbaric oxygen therapy which can awaken neurons that are not quite dead even in decades-old traumatic brain injuries.

For some reason, to my knowledge it's not used much here in the US yet, but it is in Israel.

• Like 3

Otto might be helped by hyperbaric oxygen therapy which can awaken neurons that are not quite dead even in decades-old traumatic brain injuries.

For some reason, to my knowledge it's not used much here in the US yet, but it is in Israel.

I don't know if it would help him, but it is used here, though not extensively. I think it's considered more in the alternative meds realm, and I've never heard of an insurance company covering it in the US. It seems to be gaining ground. If it looks promising for him, I would hope/think that resources would be available to his family to try it, as they work through their options.

That is really interesting that they use it in treating TBIs, I didn't know that. Though it makes sense, given some of the other uses I've heard.

Not to mention, one knows folks sporting those flags are usually Americans. ;)

Boats have flags (required by law). Most humans don't.

I see it as a compliment of to the nation of the flag the American uses on their bag or bike or wherever. It would mean the American liked it, had ancestry there, received it as a gift (maybe from a host family), or genuinely was impressed by it. Maybe it's just a simple souvenir.

If you dig deeper into the Hawaii incidents you will find the effects were greatly exaggerated. The false versions get trumpeted frequently by the EMP preppers.

What is the source of your data? If that is correct that is nice but if it is wrong it is misleading and dangerous

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

I see it as a compliment of to the nation of the flag the American uses on their bag or bike or wherever. It would mean the American liked it, had ancestry there, received it as a gift (maybe from a host family), or genuinely was impressed by it. Maybe it's just a simple souvenir.

The usage refered to was to basically be pretending to anyone viewing that they are not American, but are a member of the country with the flag. Yes, there is a bit of a compliment. But that person is not a member of that country, but their actions are now attributed to the wrong country.

But although it is a compliment in one way, it has ramifications.

Would you not be upset, or even offended, if someone from another country went around other countries pretending to be American? Especially if they did not act like an American?

I am sorry, and I know that this is a generalization, but for the most part, Americans and Canadians do have different mannerisms and ways of behaving that overall are noticeable. That difference gets blurred when Americans pretend they are Canadian.

It makes members of the 'safe' country less safe. Either because we get lumped in with the Americans because we start to be seen to be the same as them, or because we are not believed to be Canadian. There are reasons why Canada is a safe citizenship while traveling and America is not.

And on top of that, I am proud to be a Canadian. When someone does this, it is like they are trying to steal my identity... not my specific one, but the Canadian identity. It isn't yours, don't take it.

Possibly many don't feel this way, but at least some of us do.

• Like 7

True. I don't think it would make much difference here. But in a country like that, its very hard to imagine regime change from within.

ETA: thinking more on this... I really, really, really (!!) hope the us wouldn't do anything to him. We'd probably try to run it ourselves and that would *not* be a good thing! Yeah, I'm thinking his own people need to revolt, but who knows if that will happen. What a horrible situation to be in.

The history of China in the last 40 years offers some hope. China is not a perfect country now, to be sure, but it has made the kind of move that one can hope that North Korea might.

• Like 6

The usage refered to was to basically be pretending to anyone viewing that they are not American, but are a member of the country with the flag. Yes, there is a bit of a compliment. But that person is not a member of that country, but their actions are now attributed to the wrong country.

Would you not be upset, or even offended, if someone from another country went around other countries pretending to be American? Especially if they did not act like an American?

I am sorry, and I know that this is a generalization, but for the most part, Americans and Canadians do have different mannerisms and ways of behaving that overall are noticeable. That difference gets blurred when Americans pretend they are Canadian.

It makes members of the 'safe' country less safe. Either because we get lumped in with the Americans because we start to be seen to be the same as them, or because we are not believed to be Canadian. There are reasons why Canada is a safe citizenship while traveling and America is not.

And on top of that, I am proud to be a Canadian. When someone does this, it is like they are trying to steal my identity... not my specific one, but the Canadian identity. It isn't yours, don't take it.

No, I wouldn't be upset or offended if people in foreign countries were pretending to be Americans. I don't even know what it means to "act like an American."  

• Like 10

No, I wouldn't be upset or offended if people in foreign countries were pretending to be Americans. I don't even know what it means to "act like an American."

Ok... maybe this is something you could relate to.

Do you think it would be ok for someone that isn't to walk around saying they werd of a North American Tribe if they were not? Say a Mowhawk or Ute?

It is trying to take a cultural identity that isn't yours... in the original comment (and as generally done by American travelers with Canadian flags) in order to gain safety or favorable treatment.

If you don't get it, well I guess you don't get it... but know that it is not appreciated.

• Like 3

I was thinking the same thing! We're huge in numbers and quite diverse in terms of speech, body mannerisms, attitude, dress--really, just about everything.

• Like 8

We don't go around with stickers of flags or anything like that. We have been mistaken for a number of nationalities including British, Flanderen (Belgian but the one language side) Canadian, Czech, French, etc. The Canadian mis-identification was in Canada.And when we drove around Europe when we lived there, most people did not realise that our cat and truck had special Balgian license plates

(indicating that we were living there but we were stationed there, not natives). Also, people often assume other things that aren't true. I once was watching mews where they had a former spy show how easy it was to make someone think you are someone else. We don't usually do this on purpose but we do tend to not wear fashions that are strictly American.

• Like 4

Not really.  In these cases it's generally just folks wanting to "hide" being American - usually out of fear that may or may not be warranted.  It's a pretty well-known (often repeated) tip.  If someone buys a flag or t-shirt to bring home and wear (or even wear for a day in that country), that's a souvenir.  It's hardly a souvenir to buy a Canadian flag and take it to another continent on a trip.

Americans aren't the only nationality to be stereotyped, and among those we've talked to, we're not even always the "worst" (esp since "we" tend to spend money), but I've no desire to get into stereotypes on a message board where way too many will be offended.  One can head overseas and strike up conversations with those in other countries themselves if they want to.

ps  I fully agree that many do not fit stereotypes.  We obviously fit that category since we're usually misclassified.  I'm sure others fly "under the radar" too.  It doesn't mean there aren't stereotypes or that those types come from a large number of "making themselves known" travelers.  This is why folks from other countries don't want Americans using their flag.  Too many Americans DO fit the stereotype and it can carry over to the "other" country negatively affecting them.  No one wants someone claiming their name who behaves in ways they don't - not even families.

• Like 6

The history of China in the last 40 years offers some hope. China is not a perfect country now, to be sure, but it has made the kind of move that one can hope that North Korea might.

'

My impression is that in the U.S. Defense Department (DoD) and in the current administration, they see Reconciliation between North Korea and South Korea as the best possible solution.  How that might happen is anyone's guess.   Optimal solution is a non-military solution.  Something like the merger of the former East Germany (Communist) into West Germany. years ago.  

The current Secretary of Defense of the USA (James Mattis) has made it extremely clear that a military conflict involving non-Nuclear weapons, only involving North Korea's conventional artillery would have catastrophic effects in South Korea. They would like to avoid that, at all costs. The number of casualties would be astronomical in South Korea. And, the physical destruction. The NK artillery is embedded just North of the DMZ and Seoul has about 10 million people.

My mom is Canadian. I never heard her mention anything like this. We have just always had an alliance as a family between our Canadian and American family/friends.

As a world traveler myself, I can't recall a time when I saw or perceived anyone to be offended by a flag displayed by someone who was a non-native to that nation.

It is interesting. Obviously what you are saying is a real thing. So I'm not refuting it. Just never experienced it personally.

Edited by MommyLiberty5013

In my years of being an ex-pat and then traveling afterwards, I have found that people respond to individuals, not to blanket stereotyping.  At least not after the first few minutes.  If an individual is being obnoxious etc. then they will not be welcomed.  If an individual is polite and eager to learn about the country they are visiting they will be welcomed no matter what flag they might have or not have. 

• Like 11

I was thinking the same thing! We're huge in numbers and quite diverse in terms of speech, body mannerisms, attitude, dress--really, just about everything.

Yeah, it's a rather offensive statement. I also don't understand the clothes threads that say "you will stick out no matter what you wear". How do they know where I buy my clothes? 😂I think the only time I stuck out is when I insisted on bringing my huge, three piece pram to Europe and had to ask an extremely well dressed business dude in Milan to hold my infant while I folded it so I could get on the bus 😂 Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 4

I also don't understand the clothes threads that say "you will stick out no matter what you wear".

When I say that, I mostly mean that you will be doing tourist things, looking at maps, walking aimlessly....  You won't look like a local person going about their business. 

• Like 4

In my years of being an ex-pat and then traveling afterwards, I have found that people respond to individuals, not to blanket stereotyping.  At least not after the first few minutes.  If an individual is being obnoxious etc. then they will not be welcomed.  If an individual is polite and eager to learn about the country they are visiting they will be welcomed no matter what flag they might have or not have. 

I agree with this.  I think the only ones stereotyped are those who are acting obnoxious or "stereotypical," and those looking on mostly shrug it off thinking, "Well, they're insert nationality here."  I haven't been places where I've seen anything bad happen personally.  It's all been talk, often with laughter among the descriptions of types.  Generally folks we're talking with (where we've been misclassified) have fun trying to correctly guess places of origin.  They aren't deciding whether to treat someone nicely or not based upon the answer.

In my years of being an ex-pat and then traveling afterwards, I have found that people respond to individuals, not to blanket stereotyping.  

In my limited experience traveling outside the U.S. I found this to be true. When I was traveling around the UK (mostly England) with my friend, we often looked lost and/or confused. More than one random British person offered us help. A few times on the train, someone overheard us discussing our plans and offered suggestions. 

There will always be those who either stereotype people from other countries or appear to validate the stereotype of their own country, but for the most part politeness begets politeness.

• Like 7

Then I guess there is no reason for Americans to continue pretending to be Canadian when they travel... so please stop.

• Like 2

I agree with this.  I think the only ones stereotyped are those who are acting obnoxious or "stereotypical," and those looking on mostly shrug it off thinking, "Well, they're insert nationality here."  

And it would be nice if that "Well they're  insert nationality here." matched their nationality instead of another one.

Of course you are diverse in these things.  So are Canadians.  They are huge countries.

I watched My Fair Lady recently, and am reminded a bit of it.   In that movie/play,  Professor Higgins could hear a person speak, and place them in their country of origin within a couple of sentences.  For the British, he could identify the area of the country, and for Londoners, he could place them within a 2 block radius of their birth.

I am sure that someone who studied people enough could do something similar with tourists by observing them.  Americans would be place-able within a region of the country or State, most likely.  Canadians by region or province or city.