Menu

If you've read "What high schools don't tell you" -- I have a question

The author's point about making the four summers of a high schoolers life productive makes sense to me.

The examples she gives of what students can do in the summers seems too much for us (Duke's TIP program, not likely to happen), but she doesn't give examples that don't involve fabulous college summer programs.

Do you have any suggestions re: what jobs/internships kids can do in the summer to create better candidates for college?

Thanks for any ideas!

Alley

• Like 1

Summer job.

The author's point is that kids should use the summer to do something -- internship in their area of interest -- other than work at Taco Bell (what I did). She emphasized that kids can use their summers so well that it aides in creating a better resume to get into college.

(Which actually isn't my goal for various reasons -- but I do like the idea of doing something in the summer that is more productive than what I did.)

Alley

Apprenticeships.

Volunteering in an area of interest.  

What skills/interests does your child have?

Well, one loves his theater program and plays piano -- but he doesn't want to do theater past high school and, while he's a proficient piano player, he's not passionate about playing. (This son is assisting in the little kid summer camps at the theater this summer.)

My other son loves to draw -- and both take classes at Krav Maga.

They both love animals -- but don't have a veterinary interest.

See? I'm at a loss how to spin their interests into a volunteer opportunity -- that fits what the author is talking about. . . a summer activity that adds to their "resume" so to speak.

Again, I'm not pushy about Ivy League schools, but I also love the author's idea of doing more this summer than Taco Bell (where I worked, I'm not trying to be offensive).

Alley

I actually just started this book (I have a pile of high school and college books sitting on my shelf for pre-reading for my rising 8th graders). Her concept seems to be using the summers to create a very tailored portfolio. Not just four summers of interesting stuff, but four summers of building a resume of experiences in one subject or passion. I'm not sure what you do if you don't have a passion.

My first thought on looking through the book though is that as homeschoolers we presumably have a lot more flexibility to do things that are outside the box. I mean, a kid could probably do an exciting internship during the year and catch up on school credits in the summer instead if that was where the better opportunities were. Especially if you can't make some of the expensive, high powered things that she suggests happen.

• Like 4

I think one thing to do is to look around your own area and see if there are programs for volunteer opportunities. If a student is interested in a particular field, they might call firms or businesses in their area and just ask if they can spend some unpaid time there shadowing and learning.

The problem I see is that some things are going to be harder to do for a student just finishing ninth grade who is only 15 or even 14.

I still think that a summer job is an excellent experience for a teen. Do colleges really not view that as worthwhile anymore? Regardless of how they see it, I still think at least one summer of working for pay is good to develop life skills.

Are all academic summer programs beneficial? I can see that some of them might be wonderful for kids and really look good on the resume. But I question whether some of the TIP or CTY programs add much, and wow, they are expensive. To me what some of them look like is, I have higher than average test scores (which is already clear from the application) and my parents have and are willing to spend the money to have me take classes over the summer. I am only talking about the ones that are taking a class, as I know that there are other summer programs which are more competitive. To be clear, they could be great and inspiring for kids, but do they make college acceptance more likely? I did read the book but I don't remember what she said about this specifically.

• Like 1

My understanding from a friend involved in admissions is that there's nothing wrong with working at Taco Bell.  A job has admissions value for work ethic and real-world employment experience.  It doesn't involve checking a "niceness" box in the same way as volunteering, but it isn't looked down on at all, AFAIK.

I too think it's hard for rising sophomores to find something to do.  When I was that age, I think I babysat all summer (and yes, I'm sure I had lots of babysitting mentioned somewhere on my apps); that was before I was old enough for my later job at the ice cream shop.  My brothers mowed lawns and such around that age.  My dd worked on her main interest last summer before sophomore year and will probably do the same this summer before junior year (plus an SAT course); she was hoping to find a job but I doubt it's in the cards.  I wouldn't mind sending her to a college summer program if it could help her decide whether she wants to pursue certain interests or not, but I don't think such programs have much value for selective admissions purposes.

Edited by wapiti

I loved that book!

We do live in a big metro area so we have many summer options. My son has taken academic camps at a local university for several years now. The camps are not overly expensive, but they do require commitment and drive time. He also takes online classes through the summer. I do think the most important point is not to let kids sit around and play video games all summer and waste away that time.

I photocopied off the appendix for subjects DS is interested in and used that as a springboard to look for somewhat similar local options. We have always schooled off and on year round. I am hoping to do electives through the high school summers so we can take more rigerous classes during the school year.

DS has always been self motivated to learn on his own so I make sure to leave free time year round so he can self educate in his areas of interest. I am hoping that by next summer DS may be to the point of starting a small business in his area of study or do an internship.

• Like 1

Alicia64 - Frankly, I don't think you have to worry.  Your ds volunteering with children's theater is a huge opportunity for a 9th grader.  It relates to his theater interest, it gives him the chance to learn how to work with kids, and it shows him to be a responsible person.  It's a stepping stone, if you will.  Next summer, he will be able to reference it when another interesting opportunity comes up, and they'll be more willing to take him because of his previous experience.

• Like 3

The author's point about making the four summers of a high schoolers life productive makes sense to me.

The examples she gives of what students can do in the summers seems too much for us (Duke's TIP program, not likely to happen), but she doesn't give examples that don't involve fabulous college summer programs.

Do you have any suggestions re: what jobs/internships kids can do in the summer to create better candidates for college?

Thanks for any ideas!

Alley

I found that book tremendously frustrating.

Things my son did over summers.

12th- week long backpacking trip. 6 week summer session at college taking Chinese 101.

11th- week backpacking. Two weeks staff at a conference center. Week as staff for scout leadership training.

10th- week backpacking. Two weeks conference staff. Week taking scout leadership training. Sea Scout sailing trips. VBS staff

9th- week backpacking. Another week backpacking at Philmont. VBS staff

I may have forgotten something but he wasn't out during cancer. His staff time was hard work doing things like splitting wood, clearing trails, and mowing lots of lawn.

He did do some programs during the academic year that were quite challenging. He definitely did not spend time at expensive student programs. He also didn't just hang out at the mall.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 6

My philosophy is so different, but brings pretty much the same result, lol. I can't stand the concept of raising a "candidate".  I just want to raise happy, capable, productive humans, so we do look for summer activities that challenge them in their areas of interest while contributing to the community.  We're fortunate to have more than enough opportunities in our area.

Long term, both of my teenage daughters are involved in the local fire department.  One has been through training and the other starts this summer.  It's technically a year round commitment, but they have more time to devote over the summer.  They both intend to do EMT as well, when they're old enough, which will be after 10th grade.

They're young environmentalists, so it's great that we have a relatively inexpensive summer DE opportunity in environmental science.  They also have environmental camps for teens and camp counselor opportunities with the younger groups.  They've also volunteered in an environmental center that would be happy to have them for more hours.

Our area animal rescue groups have been opening up more to teen volunteers, which is nice.

A giant community garden (100% devoted to food banks) is always looking for serious summer labor.

We also school a bit in the summer, because our springs are so hectic.

My older daughter does want to make some money, but I don't think she's going to be a very attractive applicant with all of her scheduling issues, so dh is considering dabbling in some nepotism.  I'm gently arguing against it because I'd like to see my kid have some actual kid time, but I suppose I'd rather she discovered her limits before getting to the point when consequences hurt more.

Their emergency service and environmental stuff should look pretty good, but that's mostly a happy accident.  If they didn't enjoy those things, I can't imagine trying to push them.

• Like 8

I have that book out from the library right now, but I haven't started it. I'm surprised she pushes college summer programs (which is something my dd participates in and loves) because I had heard that even the competitive ones were a big nothing as far as colleges were concerned.

I wonder if there's been a shift in what appeals to colleges since that book was written because recently I've also gotten the impression that a basic summer job was a plus since so few kids are doing that any more.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 2

Oldest DD (18) did STEM research and presentations throughout her summers and into the fall at a local university through a program. This summer she will be working with them in a leadership capacity.   She also works tutoring children coming from hard places.  Younger DS and DD are contemplating several avenues as we speak. 

I think the focus for college admissions really needs to center on creating a cohesive narrative throughout the student's application.  Aware of the realities of the college admissions process, we nonetheless don't have a means-end mentality.  My biological kids are natural leaders, and we encourage them to pursue their interests with a focus on likewise investing in others, looking beyond themselves, and developing a strong work ethic.  That can be accomplished in many ways.  I do think flitting from thing to thing and listing a host of "this and that" ECs is not likely to impress any admissions committee.  Showing long-term commitment says a lot about your character, whether it's working summer after summer to earn money, tutoring kids, or mentoring younger athletes in your club/sport.  It shows long-term investment in something and someone beside yourself.  And it's possible that for some schools this may not amount to a hill of beans, but I will also say my kids have no desire to attend those schools.  So that's okay with us. :) 

• Like 1

I have that book out from the library right now, but I haven't started it. I'm surprised she pushes college summer programs (which is something my dd participates in and loves) because I had heard that even the competitive ones were a big nothing as far as colleges were concerned.

I wonder if there's been a shift in what appeals to colleges since that book was written because recently I've also gotten the impression that a basic summer job was a plus since so few kids are doing that any more.

Based on our experience over the past year, it is not that summer research and similar summer work is a turn off so much as colleges are looking at the level of commitment and personal involvement in whatever it is the student does.  It seems that some schools are growing weary of the student profiles that smack of "I did this to get X admission" and are looking for "I was/am personally invested in this and here's why" type evidence. Spending summers working at a job also goes a long way to mitigate the attitude among admissions committees of "here's another privileged kid with no skin in the game."  

• Like 4

My understanding from a friend involved in admissions is that there's nothing wrong with working at Taco Bell. A job has admissions value for work ethic and real-world employment experience. It doesn't involve checking a "niceness" box in the same way as volunteering, but it isn't looked down on at all, AFAIK.

I too think it's hard for rising sophomores to find something to do. When I was that age, I think I babysat all summer (and yes, I'm sure I had lots of babysitting mentioned somewhere on my apps); that was before I was old enough for my later job at the ice cream shop. My brothers mowed lawns and such around that age. My dd worked on her main interest last summer before sophomore year and will probably do the same this summer before junior year (plus an SAT course); she was hoping to find a job but I doubt it's in the cards. I wouldn't mind sending her to a college summer program if it could help her decide whether she wants to pursue certain interests or not, but I don't think such programs have much value for selective admissions purposes.

At the one and only admission session I attended (only bc my child was in class) this same point was made in the context of gap years. The two adcom said almost at the same time "get a job" as a perfectly acceptable way to spend a year growing up.

That said, I refuse to plan 4 years of my child's life to please some random adcom, so I'm declining this advice :)

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 5

I just attended a panel discussion of college admissions counselors that included one from the University of Michigan. My takeaway re: summers is that students need to spend their time wisely. They said they know which college-prep programs cost thousands of dollars and these are no more valuable than a summer spent working at a fast food place (so, OP, go ahead and let your kid work at Taco Bell!). Paid work was just as desirable as many alternatives such as building an orphanage in a third world country or learning a new language or shadowing a veterinarian. They all emphasized that what they didn't want to see was a student who had nothing to put on the application (that reads like they played video games 12-hours per day or just hung out at the mall a lot).

My current Junior in HS will work for a second season at the community pool's cafe. Last year she was staff, this year she's a supervisor responsible for inventory and staff scheduling. She'll also work part-time as a nanny. She will hopefully have an opportunity to shadow my sister who is a Clinical Pharmacist and also shadow a nurse at sister's hospital. She is deciding between nursing and pre-pharmacy/health science as a major. It's not a nice, tidy 'package' to sell to colleges, but she's making money, progressing in responsibility, and clarifying her career goals.

• Like 3

I think at some point (soon) there will be a tipping point where the "tailored" kids will be looked at with resume building skepticism, and "normal" kids will be more regarded at a whole candidate. I think it's coming. I'm not buying into the tailoring, doing community service for credit, or volunteering to build a resume. I'm encouraging my kids to do interesting, challenging things that appeal you them. I'm not going crazy checking boxes or encouraging them to either. Maybe it'll be a bad decision in the long run, but I'm comfortable teaching them to work hard, do good, and trust God in the process (without being disingenuous in their pursuits).

• Like 5

My kids have done a lot of interesting things, but none to produce a "package". They've backpacked at Philmont, gone scuba diving off of Catalina Island, ridden horses and more horses, raised steers, shown sheep, baled hay, got the private pilot's license, gone to State Patrol Youth Academy (free in CO), gone to GenCyber (free from the NSA), gone to Italy, gone to the Normandy beaches and studied Churchill (two of mine are now in the military because of those trips), coached swim team, done summer theater, kayaked, staffed at NYLT, lifeguarded, gone to the Naval Academy Summer Seminar, USAFA Summer Seminar, USCGA's AIM, and West Point's SLS, and worked on the county road crew. They learned a great deal, but they didn't do all that just to put it on a list.

This. I love. It's our general philosophy also.

I just attended a panel discussion of college admissions counselors that included one from the University of Michigan. My takeaway re: summers is that students need to spend their time wisely. They said they know which college-prep programs cost thousands of dollars and these are no more valuable than a summer spent working at a fast food place (so, OP, go ahead and let your kid work at Taco Bell!). Paid work was just as desirable as many alternatives such as building an orphanage in a third world country or learning a new language or shadowing a veterinarian. They all emphasized that what they didn't want to see was a student who had nothing to put on the application (that reads like they played video games 12-hours per day or just hung out at the mall a lot).

My current Junior in HS will work for a second season at the community pool's cafe. Last year she was staff, this year she's a supervisor responsible for inventory and staff scheduling. She'll also work part-time as a nanny. She will hopefully have an opportunity to shadow my sister who is a Clinical Pharmacist and also shadow a nurse at sister's hospital. She is deciding between nursing and pre-pharmacy/health science as a major. It's not a nice, tidy 'package' to sell to colleges, but she's making money, progressing in responsibility, and clarifying her career goals.

Thank you for sharing this! It is reassuring.

My kids have spent their summers in interesting and productive ways, but never attended a summer program or did a formal internship. DD got accepted to an extremely selective college, so the lack of a designated program or impressive summer activity must not have been an issue. 

We did some light academics, but otherwise traveled, hiked, rock climbed. Lots of time for free reading and pursuing their sports. DS works part time.

ETA: I am opposed to having teens do activities just so they can look good on the college application. High school years are too precious life time to be wasted on that. Every activity my kids did was something they wanted to do and enjoyed. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 12

I really meant to keep this thread for those who've actually read "What High Schools Don't Tell You." I don't at all mean to suggest that kids should be producing a package to get into college.

This author is talking about getting kids into top Ivy League schools. We're not headed for that boat at all, but I found her thinking to be interesting.

That's why I was asking on here what your kids did in the summer if you'd read this book. If you haven't read the book, this thread turns into a different conversation.

Alley

I really meant to keep this thread for those who've actually read "What High Schools Don't Tell You." I don't at all mean to suggest that kids should be producing a package to get into college.

This author is talking about getting kids into top Ivy League schools. We're not headed for that boat at all, but I found her thinking to be interesting.

That's why I was asking on here what your kids did in the summer if you'd read this book. If you haven't read the book, this thread turns into a different conversation.

Alley

I have read the book.

I think the author is predisposed to like summer activities that require connections or money to access. The argument is that students should be "producing" by mid high school. As in they should be doing original research.

She specifically calls out being a camp counselor as not cutting it.

I disagree. I think that servant leadership and hard work are also habits worth developing. I think that time in woods carrying what you need for the next few days (or doing without) is also good for the soul.

I have read that it is now possible to pay for a summer lab experience from which you leave with a piece of research. I'm not sure that is the best result.

My current senior did not apply to Ivies. However his acceptances at Georgetown, Notre Dame, and Stanford did not rely on summer experience designed to make him a more perfect candidate.

To some extent college advice authors focus on what they can be packaged and sold to families.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 15

I read the book when my oldest was in middle school.  He had already done some of the things that the author recommended in her book,not because he was thinking about building a college app. resume, but because he was truly interested in the activity.  However, based on her recommendations, he was doing nowhere near enough to be competitive for the selective schools.  He didn't change anything he was doing based on that book.

I wonder if her recommendations are "dated" now? 

• Like 4

I disagree. I think that servant leadership and hard work are also habits worth developing. I think that time in woods carrying what you need for the next few days (or doing without) is also good for the soul.

I had not heard this term before, but I looked it up.  What do you do to cultivate this in your students?  

• Like 2

I have read the book.

I think the author is predisposed to like summer activities that require connections or money to access. The argument is that students should be "producing" by mid high school. As in they should be doing original research.

She specifically calls out being a camp counselor as not cutting it.

I have read that it is now possible to pay for a summer lab experience from which you leave with a piece of research. I'm not sure that is the best result.

My current senior did not apply to Ivies. However his acceptances at Georgetown, Notre Dame, and Stanford did not rely on summer experience designed to make him a more perfect candidate.

To some extent college advice authors focus on what they can be packaged and sold to families.

:iagree:   Thank you for saying this about servant leadership!!! That's what I have been trying to explain to people IRL.  I might add, my daughter received one of the most nationally prestigious awards because of her leadership, and it had nothing to do with "connections" or "money." 

People may be surprised when their kids get into interviews about what some universities are looking for in the students who will represent their school... it has a lot more to do with genuine service to others, humility, and a strong work ethic than people might imagine. 

• Like 6

I loved the book and didn't feel at all like the author was only or all about raising a candidate.

To me, it seemed like an extension of how and why we homeschool - to tailor our child's education to their passion, to expose them to what is available in our community. Not that we have to fly across the country to participate in a specific summer program, but to see what is available. I know it alerted us to several tech opportunities and contests that we did not know were available.

I attended an unschooling convention when my DS was in kindergarten. Though we never fully unschooled, we have always been "relaxed" homeschoolers. But one of the speakers at the convention made a huge impact on me and I still think about this, now years later. She was discussing the concept of "strewing" in unschooling homes - strewing educational material around so that our children might be exposed to it and pick it up and learn. This speaker said she much preferred the specific and intentional approach - saying to your child, "I noticed you were very fascinated in gemstones when we were at the museum last week so I bought you this book on the topic." She talked about how it reinforces to our children that we notice their interests and we are invested in their interests. To me, that is what this book was saying. It seemed to me - as a homeschooler - almost "singing to the choir," because this book promoted - to me - how and why we homeschool. Not to run 100 different directions to raise a well rounded child, but to be intentional about the activities we chose.

• Like 7

I loved the book and didn't feel at all like the author was only or all about raising a candidate.

To me, it seemed like an extension of how and why we homeschool - to tailor our child's education to their passion, to expose them to what is available in our community. Not that we have to fly across the country to participate in a specific summer program, but to see what is available. I know it alerted us to several tech opportunities and contests that we did not know were available.

I attended an unschooling convention when my DS was in kindergarten. Though we never fully unschooled, we have always been "relaxed" homeschoolers. But one of the speakers at the convention made a huge impact on me and I still think about this, now years later. She was discussing the concept of "strewing" in unschooling homes - strewing educational material around so that our children might be exposed to it and pick it up and learn. This speaker said she much preferred the specific and intentional approach - saying to your child, "I noticed you were very fascinated in gemstones when we were at the museum last week so I bought you this book on the topic." She talked about how it reinforces to our children that we notice their interests and we are invested in their interests. To me, that is what this book was saying. It seemed to me - as a homeschooler - almost "singing to the choir," because this book promoted - to me - how and why we homeschool. Not to run 100 different directions to raise a well rounded child, but to be intentional about the activities we chose.

I had a similar take-away after reading the book. My daughter has done several different things in interest areas during the summer and school year that I might not have thought of if not for the book, though most were local and not high cost.

• Like 1

I had a similar take-away after reading the book. My daughter has done several different things in interest areas during the summer and school year that I might not have thought of if not for the book, though most were local and not high cost.

Karen -- Can you share what your daughter did? That was what I wondering about in my original post. I'm just looking for ideas. The author's ideas were beyond our means, but I know there are local things. What did you daughter do?

And thanks!

Alley

One of the points in the book - to be a math contender, the child needs way more math than offered in the classroom. Secret 108 was --- Art of Problem Solving. And they offer online summer math and computing classes. That is a chance to get a bit ahead in either area. Spread over four summers, that adds up.

I had no idea there was a computing Olympiad until I read this book. I sent the web address to my DS and he took off with it:

http://www.usaco.org/index.php?page=resources

Secret 109 - most math and science majors took college classes in high school, not AP or IB. We originally were planning on DS taking AP computer science, but decided against it after reading this and researching it further. We would rather him start taking college level computer classes on campus instead of prepping for AP.

• Like 3

I have read this book some time ago. While the author does indeed suggest to create cohesive narrative she also says that it is okay to switch interests. Yes, college admission is important; but so is finding your interests.

This book helped me in having a conversation with my kids about things they may like to try. In the beginning of the book is a chapter about this including a list of possible 'interests'. We did actually go through this list to help us get started thinking about this. Just this year we wrote resumes with the boys. And they did in fact turn out to tell a story quite well. In our case, we actually had several stories we could focus on for one son. Over four years or more it turns out one can accomplish a lot.

DS1: 

Summer 1: Beach Jr. Lifeguarding Camp

Summer 2: traveled in Europe and practiced German (one month); Beach Jr. Lifeguarding Camp

Summer 3: Beach Jr. Lifeguarding Camp Assistant (community service)

Summer 4: traveled in Europe and practiced German (one month)

Summer 5: Internship at the Aquarium; Deep Sea Diving Course in Progress  (this is all lined up for this coming summer)

As you can see it turned out pretty focused on Marine related activities. He has always liked the Ocean and is now starting his path toward Marine Science or Oceanography.

DS 2:

Summer 1: traveled in Europe and practiced German; one week camp at the Wild Animal Park; one week camp Computer Programming

Summer 2: working with Dad on some Graphic Arts using Photoshop (he has just taken his first Photoshop course at the CC)

Summer 3: traveled in Europe and practiced German (one month)

Summer 4: still deciding on this summer

Important here is that our summers don't have to be as packed because we have always had more time to tailor the courses during the school year toward interests.

DS 1 has taken tons of Science courses including the standard Biology, Chemistry, and Physics but also Marine Science and a Biology Lab Science Course.

DS 2 has taken a course in Python Programming as well as at the CC: Photoshop I, II and III and Motion Graphics courses.

As you can see a lot of specialization can happen throughout the year as well. Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Margaret,

I love your post from way above. It seems that your family 'automatically' pursues interests which do tell a story about them in the end. I think that this book just helps some families see how much one can accomplish. I agree that it doesn't and shouldn't be 'just' do produce a list. It should be because it is of interest. Some people just need direction, ideas etc. To me that's what some of these types of books accomplish. :-)

• Like 3

Alley

I read the book a couple of years ago. It prompted me to have Trinqueta do the Duke TIP talent search. But then I saw the actual course offerings in detail and realized that regular camp and AOPS were a much better deal unless you're eligible for substantial financial aid.

I don't remember the specific diss of camp counselor but I have to disagree. Being a camp aide/ junior counselor is one of the easier to arrange leadership opportunities for homeschool kids especially if you aren't a member of a local homeschool group. We aren't members any longer and none of the local teen clubs are a good fit for us because of their religious focus. I think the situation will improve once T is 16 and can join the CC clubs, but for now GSA volunteer opportunities are the best choice for us. Trinqueta has done her Program Aide training and is set to be an aide at the main Houston GSA day camp program for a week this summer. It's an 8-5 volunteer job which I think is a great way to assume responsibility with lots of support available.

Trinqueta very much wants to get a job once she's 16 and has a DL (she'd love to get a job NOW but I said not until you can drive yourself, plus I just don't think anyone reputable would hire a 14yo and she doesn't want to babysit). I think that working is a great EC experience, especially since T will like study business, econ or statistics (or a combination of those) and the chance to observe organizational behavior up close and personal is very useful.

Finally, this book was very useful for understanding hooks. In the end, T's biggest "hook" is likely to be rowing. We're very fortunate that there is a local rowing club with a high school team. It's a sport that T loves and that she's got the build for. If she didn't like it or wasn't likely to be able to achieve a recruitable erg time, we just wouldn't worry so much about hooks and concentrate on schools that weren't lotteries. Crew changes that arithmetic for T both for good and bad because most powerhouse crew schools are also highly selective academic schools. For now, the next step is attending a summer rowing camp at a Div I school. 

• Like 3

Karen -- Can you share what your daughter did? That was what I wondering about in my original post. I'm just looking for ideas. The author's ideas were beyond our means, but I know there are local things. What did you daughter do?

And thanks!

Alley

Her interests are technical theatre, creative writing, history, and social justice, particularly around LGBTQ issues. Some of the activities overlapped the beginning or end of the typical semester.

before 9th grade: 

• assisted her father in props and backstage crew for an adult production at the local community theatre--free
  • part-day week-long drawing camp and part-day week-long painting camp through the rec center--less than $100 each, I believe
  • served as a junior intern for a half-day summer children's drama camp at the local rec center with her art teacher (who also teaches drama, was the set designer for one of the adult productions my daughter worked backstage for in the previous year, and got my daughter and husband involved in local community theatre )---free
  • did an online Spanish II class with a teacher in Barcelona through Harari College Worldwide--free, though I don't think they are doing stand-alone language courses anymore

before 10th grade: 

• our one-time big splurge for summer programming because this was so specific to her passion ---a 2-week residential summer camp in science-fiction and fantasy world-building creative writing that included working with professors and published writers at a college relatively nearby--$2100 which grandparents paid. This was a game-changer for her in her confidence and skill level in writing and in being independent.

before 11th grade:

• served as junior intern backstage run crew with the local children's theater for their end of season intensive---free
  • attended a 2 week summer day camp at local children's theater in technical theatre where they built the sets and props and served as run crew for the production done by the acting camp that ran simultaneously (Evita Jr)--$500

this summer:

• the first part of the summer will be a concentrated DE class to get a gen ed out of the way--tuition is free, so only books ($150--it's science)
  • a 4 day writing residential camp at one of the state universities she's applying to --$500. Hopefully this will give her a feel for living on that campus, some insight into the writing program there, and expose her to some different aspects of writing, since they will have working sessions on poetry and creative non-fiction as well as fiction.
  • a week-long day camp focused on activism with the local LGBTQ youth support organization--free..
  • applying for a paid internship with the same support group and/or looking for a part-time job
  • may be doing a MOOC through Stanford on being an active citizen in the digital age--free

Other than that, she's pursuing her year-round activities of aikido, Girl Scouts, a local monthly writers' meet-up, being active in an online writing community, active with the youth support organization, and doing some childcare and other activities through our church (paid and volunteer).

We live on the edge of a pretty metropolitan area, so there are probably more options than would be available in a less-populated area. Some things I searched for and some, frankly, rather fell into our laps through other activities. Check parks and rec, library volunteer opps, Scouts, 4H, community service organizations, local colleges/universities, and local history museums or historic sites (a friend's daughter was a volunteer docent at one).

• Like 5

I've got a daughter at an Ivy League college. I think the Taco Bell summer job would be an excellent way to develop skills and get some leadership opportunities, especially done consistently.

My daughter never did college programs.

Her summers usually involved a religious mission trip doing some sort of physical labor. I never got the impression that the colleges cared much about that.

Otherwise, she was involved with her sports (practicing skating or running trail races.) She taught skating. She volunteered at camp. She took a math class at the college. She practiced her musical instruments. Nothing too crazy. :-)

Colleges want to see the kids being productive.

• Like 5

KarenNC -- Thank you for the great detail! That was the kind of thing I was wondering.

Gr8lander -- Thank you!

Everyone else -- Thank you so much for your feedback! This thread has been incredibly helpful to me. Again, my kids aren't Ivy bound or Stanford or Berkeley etc. I just want them headed in a good high school direction.

Thank you again!

Alley

• Like 2

Margaret,

I love your post from way above. It seems that your family 'automatically' pursues interests which do tell a story about them in the end. I think that this book just helps some families see how much one can accomplish. I agree that it doesn't and shouldn't be 'just' do produce a list. It should be because it is of interest. Some people just need direction, ideas etc. To me that's what some of these types of books accomplish. :-)

I do agree that the book can stimulate ideas.  I think what put me off was both the denigrating of summer activities that fall into the category of non-glamorous work, and also the sense that if you hadn't already started, your student was doomed.  It reminded me of when my kids were 9-10 and wanted to join soccer.  There was very much an impression given from some folks that if they hadn't been playing since they were 4, there really wasn't a point in even joining a team.  

On the other hand, one thing that the book can do is to give a sense of the quality of many students and the level of competition for some universities.  Just as an example, one of the people he made friends with at a particular scholarship competition was a winner of the national level of National History Day.

I have been around some corners of the homeschool world, where it is popular to repeat a mantra that even lackadaisical homeschooling is better than public schools.  Or that homeschoolers are likely to get into elite schools because homeschooling puts them so far ahead of their peers or is a fabulous hook.  I don't think these viewpoints are realistic.  

It can be very difficult to parse what makes a student attractive to a university.  My senior was accepted at great schools, and rejected by other also great schools.  I still can't put my finger on what made him stand out.  He has top scores, several AP courses, dual enrollment, experience with rigorous courses (including a couple that had competitive entry), and he is both homeschooled and a military family member.  But he is not a minority, plays no instrument and is not a recruited athlete.  At the beginning of the application process, I was worried that the military and homeschooler parts of his profile would cause problems because of stereotypes.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  I have no idea if either provided a hook.

• Like 7

Alicia - I read that book 5-6 years ago, before my oldest went off to college.  It didn't help me guide my kids, as they are very self-guided, but I read the book with interest.  

Because you are looking for specific ideas, here is a taste of what my older kids did and what my other kids are doing.

DS1 - owned website design business, then worked for local company, won design contests (not just free, but made tons of money).  Designed opencourseware, obsessed with Social Entrepreneurship, summer music camps, organized/hosted TedX event; then Ted organization sent him to Qatar for free - for a conference.  Lots of self-educating through books and online.  Volleyball - travel and high school.

DS2 - Baseball, baseball, baseball.  All year round; all over country.  Travel team and high school.  Involved in a couple of clubs and tv production studio at ps.  Worked at local grocery store from the time he could legally work (15 1/2 or 16 ).

DS3 - Involved in Rubik's Cube world - youtube channel, competitions, interviews, sponsorships (much of it free).  Summer in Japan through YFU (full scholarship).  Summer astronomy (paid) and math camps (free).  Classes at local ivy league school (free).  Lots of self-educating through MIT Opencourseware and EdX and books.  

DSD (rising senior) - Full-time ballet dancer until January.  Returned to PS.  Playing catch up with adjusting to school, studying for SATs.  Applied to summer writing program.  I suggested spending the summer developing a writing portfolio or starting a blog.  Not sure if my ideas will take hold.  She self-educates on social justice issues.

DD (rising freshman) - Rides horses in shows and works at the barn (for free) at least 10-15 hours a week.  Will attend a week-long, overnight social justice camp in Massachusetts (received financial aid).  Will attend riding camp rest of summer.  Will begin geometry over the summer.

Obviously, they have all had different paths, different interests.  They lead the way, but sometimes they need an idea or a nudge in a direction.  For instance, I found out that the TED organization started having TedX events and found a local one to attend with my son.  He took it from there.  I had a friend whose father is a math professor, so I made sure to bring it up in conversation.  I told my dd to pick three new things to try last summer (she was feeling lost) - and first was horseback riding; the rest is history.  If I see an article about a current interest, I pass it on.  I discuss with them.  I look for opportunities.  I don't "package" my kids, but I get just as excited as they do in pursuing their passions.

Also - each school is looking to fill create a diverse community, and kids fill a sort of quota, whether that be a boy or a kid from Alabama or a kid who rides a unicycle while juggling cans of corn.  Who knows how they make their selections - maybe it depends on that particular admissions counselor and their own biases and the type of day they're having.  I think the essay can have a great effect in certain schools.  An interview can, too.

DSD and I visited a lot of schools last month.  Much to her dismay, I set up an interview at Wooster.  She had never done an interview.  She is painfully shy in public, but remarkably articulate; other than dancing, which she doesn't do at all anymore, she has no ECs.  She gave me a look of fear as she walked into the admissions person's office.  I texted her dad, saying I may or may not have made a huge mistake, since she was caught off guard.  At Wooster, they bring the parent in at the end of the interview.  They were both all smiles.  He called her extraordinary.  Apparently, she got started on her social justice passion and couldn't stop.  She even wove in references to Swift's Modest Proposal!  The point is...that interviews can reveal something about a child who doesn't seem to have a lot going on.

The key is to be authentic.  If your kids are doing that, finding a school will be no problem.

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 10

At Wooster, they bring the parent in at the end of the interview.  They were both all smiles.  He called her extraordinary.  Apparently, she got started on her social justice passion and couldn't stop.  She even wove in references to Swift's Modest Proposal!  The point is...that interviews can reveal something about a child who doesn't seem to have a lot going on.

The key is to be authentic.  If your kids are doing that, finding a school will be no problem.

This!  Passion, commitment, authenticity.  With these qualities, your kids can find the right school for them.

Edited by Gratia271
  • Like 3

This!  Passion, commitment, authenticity.  With these qualities, your kids can find the right school for them.

And here's the thing.  She is in the midst of reinventing herself.  She had NO idea she had it in her to be captivating and worthy, because, in comparison to many, she didn't have all of those impressive ECs.  

That interview - done at a school that wasn't a dream school, early in her college search - did exactly what I had hoped...made her believe in herself.

That is how I contribute.  I scheme a bit; I plant ideas in their heads.  Then, when their own roots take hold, they bloom.

• Like 5

KarenNC -- Thank you for the great detail! That was the kind of thing I was wondering.

Gr8lander -- Thank you!

Everyone else -- Thank you so much for your feedback! This thread has been incredibly helpful to me. Again, my kids aren't Ivy bound or Stanford or Berkeley etc. I just want them headed in a good high school direction.

Thank you again!

Alley

I read that book. Apart from her advice on math camps, I found the book too overwhelming for my kid's personality. DC *is* Berkeley bound but not because we followed her advice. He did what felt fun and I guided based on what was meaningful to him.

Summer of 9th:

Mostly just being a kid + a home rocketry project that segued very well with physics studies. Jazz band. No contests/ camps/ group projects.

Summer of 10th:

A CC film class, mostly being a kid, started volunteering at our library. Wrote math puzzles for fun.

Summer of 11th:

HCSSiM math program, AoPS Crowd Math research, volunteering at our library, gym classes, jazz band gigs, a few small things of his own like tshirt design.

It was very clear from my kid's application that his passion was math, despite lack of contests and just one high level math summer program. It was important to me that he was doing genuinely interesting-to-him things.

Edited by quark
  • Like 3

I read that book. Apart from her advice on math camps, I found the book too overwhelming for my kid's personality. DC *is* Berkeley bound but not because we followed her advice. He did what felt fun and I guided based on what was meaningful to him.

Summer of 9th:

Mostly just being a kid + a home rocketry project that segued very well with physics studies. Jazz band. No contests/ camps/ group projects.

Summer of 10th:

A CC film class, mostly being a kid, started volunteering at our library. Wrote math puzzles for fun.

Summer of 11th:

HCSSiM math program, AoPS Crowd Math research, volunteering at our library, gym classes, jazz band gigs, a few small things of his own like tshirt design.

It was very clear from my kid's application that his passion was math, despite lack of contests and just one high level math summer program. It was important to me that he was doing genuinely interesting-to-him things.

Thanks Quark! (I grew up near UC Berkeley.)

Re: the home rocketry project. My kids and dh would love that. Can you recommend the one your son liked?

Alley

• Like 1

Thanks Quark! (I grew up near UC Berkeley.)

Re: the home rocketry project. My kids and dh would love that. Can you recommend the one your son liked?

Alley

We didn't use a provider/ curriculum. It was completely home brewed. Building launch systems from found objects, purchasing an RC rover for fun and mounting launch systems atop the rover, spending lots of money on Estes products (from Amazon), calculating all sorts of things etc. I stayed out of the way.  :mellow: