Menu

"Victorian Slum House" on PBS

Laurie

I've always imagined that food network show contestants (for things like Chopped) are people who auditioned for Top Chef but didn't make the cut.

And I imagine these poor people auditioned for some Manor House type show and got the really short end of the stick!

• Like 2

If anyone is interested in Victorian Britain,  I would recommend this lecture series (when it's on sale, though!)  about Victorian Britain.  My daughter and I just watched the final lecture last week so I'm really looking forward to the PBS series.    

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/victorian-britain.html

Edited by Laurie
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to this series.  https://kcts9.org/programs/victorian-slum-house

If they sell dvds I'll probably buy one and add it to my collection.   I use these "House" shows as therapy/attitude adjustment  when I'm feeling like a prisoner in my kitchen!   

What are your favorite ones in your collection so far? I've been thinking about buying a couple myself lately, but I've only ever seen a Victorian House one, probably close to 20 years ago? I follow a blogger who has listed quite a few, but I'm not sure if they're all equally good. 

What are your favorite ones in your collection so far? I've been thinking about buying a couple myself lately, but I've only ever seen a Victorian House one, probably close to 20 years ago? I follow a blogger who has listed quite a few, but I'm not sure if they're all equally good. 

I've enjoyed all the shows that take place in England:  The 1900 House, Manor House, and 1940's House.  The one from the BBC called Edwardian Farm is very good, too.  (A historian and 2 archaeologists spend a year on the farm so you get to see the seasonal work that went on, both inside and outside the home. )

Of the shows set in America, my favorite by far is Frontier House.   Included in the group are a man and his father who have to build their house before the young man's fiancee arrives for their wedding.  I just love Nate and Rudy and the relationship they have as they work side by side.  The other two families don't get along with each other.

Colonial House isn't bad, but there's too much cheating with regard to the rules of the project.  But this one does include the impact on the native people who have been invaded. 

I hate to have to tell you that "Texas Ranch House" is my least favorite.  Because of the hot weather there were just too many flies all over their food and everything.  

(I don't know if you're planning to watch with your kids, but some of these I would consider PG13.  Colonial House has some nudity and adult conversation.  And Frontier House includes discussion about whether birth control pills should be allowed even though they weren't available then and some other adult conversation.    In Manor House, there's some heavy drinking and the unpleasant consequences,  and some hanky panky going on with the hall boy and scullery maid.)       

I was watching the first episode yeaterday. Quite good: definitely neither a knock-off nor funny. (Also no brothels or stds!) I'm not too worried about the children's safety or wellbeing. It's already implicitly clear that the show has safety controls, supervision, and fallback plans for if the parents "can't" provide for the children.

(I am, as always, worried about children's privacy and consent issues in reality tv. Filming 'as themselves' during childhood can have consequences that a child isn't equipped to anticipate, so I'm not sure anyone can give valid consent for reality-style filming of minors.)

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 2

P.S.  I'm just halfway through the first episode, but one of the families homeschools in their modern day life.  It's portrayed positively here.  FYI.

ETA:  My low expectations were exceeded.  I think it's a great way to appreciate our current standard of living.

Final (rough) quote from one of the women was something like: " I grew up poor in the 1950s, and we didn't have any money.  But this is a whole different situation.  I will never say that I lived in poverty again.  Ever."

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 4

I was watching the first episode yeaterday. Quite good: definitely neither a knock-off nor funny. (Also no brothels or stds!) I'm not too worried about the children's safety or wellbeing. It's already implicitly clear that the show has safety controls, supervision, and fallback plans for if the parents "can't" provide for the children.

(I am, as always, worried about children's privacy and consent issues in reality tv. Filming 'as themselves' during childhood can have consequences that a child isn't equipped to anticipate, so I'm not sure anyone can give valid consent for reality-style filming of minors.)

Can you show me where you found this info?  My kids were concerned with the families not eating.

TIA

• Like 1

I "gathered" it from the show's style, context, and a few hints.

The context being a tv show in a developed country with laws that must be respected -- I don't think that actual child endangerment would even be contemplated, much less permitted, filmed, and distributed. Nobody would take a risk like that, much less the BBC.

The style being similar to 'coal house' in which I observed various events around feeding the kids where the show's narrative 'found excuses' to feed them. They also conspicuously added modern safety precautions to historic activities for both adults and children in that show.

The hints I saw were that the adults mentioned hunger, but the kids did not. The kids only mention boredom with the food -- repeatedly. Also, that the amputee adult was provided with a safe prosthetic because a period one was not safe enough. (Which implies that the show is run in such a way that health and safety decisions are made extremely carefully.)

In combination, this gives me the strong impression that the children were given basic daily calories (either off camera, or by requiring the parents to buy/charge the appropriate amount like-it-or-not) in spite of appearances to the contrary, and hunger among the adults.

• Like 2

In combination, this gives me the strong impression that the children were given basic daily calories (either off camera, or by requiring the parents to buy/charge the appropriate amount like-it-or-not) in spite of appearances to the contrary, and hunger among the adults.

And even if they got slightly less nutrition than ideal, I read that it was filmed in 3 weeks.

ETA: we recently watched the 1940s house, and iirc the kids in that one did complain about being hungry. Of course, my kids whine about being hungry all the time, and all that means is that they want something yummier than what's being offered to them. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 3

Even with adult participants there are rules that have to be followed.  In one of the 'farm' shows they actually sent the participants to a hotel over night because the living conditions didn't meet standards for employment.

• Like 1

Where do you watch all these? I really enjoyed Pioneer Quest which is set in Manitoba.

Thanks for mentioning Pioneer Quest.  I looked at the description on Amazon, and illness is mentioned in more than one episode.  I'm squeamish and can't do medical shows so I'm wondering how "graphic' this gets...

ETA: we recently watched the 1940s house, and iirc the kids in that one did complain about being hungry. Of course, my kids whine about being hungry all the time, and all that means is that they want something yummier than what's being offered to them. 

I remember feeling sorry for the boy in the 1900's House series because the parents said he was only eating bread and cheese in the Victorian house.    The mother was a vegetarian, and although she said her family could eat meat away from home she wasn't going to cook any meat for them.   I remember the boy looked happy eating fish and chips in one episode,   and I was thinking he'd probably eat better if he was offered some more meat rather than the beans and greens!  

Edited by Laurie
  • Like 1

Thanks for mentioning Pioneer Quest. I looked at the description on Amazon, and illness is mentioned in more than one episode. I'm squeamish and can't do medical shows so I'm wondering how "graphic' this gets...

I don't remember any graphic scenes re: illness.

There is an unfortunate incident with a pregnant sow and a barn fire (:() but, again, it doesn't actually show a lot.

• Like 1