Menu

Who Else Has Tried the Starbucks Unicorn Frappucino?

Crimson Wife

My middle dd (19) is home from college, and she took her younger siblings to get one today.  I tried to warn them that it looked disgusting, but they really wanted to try it.  They split a tall and said it tasted like fruit flavored chemicals.  The 14 yo dd took a couple of sips & was done.  The 12yo ds was more enthusiastic about finishing it.  I asked him if he liked the taste and he said, "No, but I can't wait to see what color this turns my poop!"

Amber in SJ

• Like 16

My oldest dd caused a big facebook controversy by posting that she had one day before yesterday. She has been dieting for the last year (and lost a good deal of weight but still has a lot more to go) and people were scolding her for it. She  had a rant about the scolders this afternoon. It was her big fun thing that she did for a week, for goodness sake.

• Like 1

My oldest dd caused a big facebook controversy by posting that she had one day before yesterday. She has been dieting for the last year (and lost a good deal of weight but still has a lot more to go) and people were scolding her for it. She  had a rant about the scolders this afternoon. It was her big fun thing that she did for a week, for goodness sake.

Aww, I am sorry for your daughter.  What jerks, to scold her.  

My MIL would do something like that.  I remember being in a tourist town with her once.  She didn't like the fact that some overweight people were eating ice cream cones.  I wanted so badly to say "how do you know this isn't the first ice cream they've eaten in a year, after following a strict diet?" But I was a chicken and kept my mouth shut. 

:grouphug: to your daughter

• Like 3

I know at least one adult that loves unicorn/rainbow type stuff. They have shared recipes with lots of colored cake layers, etc. So I don't have trouble seeing it marketed toward adults. Too much food coloring can be a turn off to me.

The funniest thing I read online today was a meme referencing Harry Potter by talking about the fate of those that consume it because it comes from a unicorn.

I never go to Starbucks. Not a coffee person. But I guess this isn't really coffee.

My dad is a barista at SB. It is a limited time drink-very limited for her SB as they ran out of supplies before the end of the day yesterday!

And yes, the staff is happy when it sells out. It takes more time, and when people at drive through order 5 for their car full of teens and teens, it is profitable but makes everyone else in line cranky.

• Like 1

My oldest dd caused a big facebook controversy by posting that she had one day before yesterday. She has been dieting for the last year (and lost a good deal of weight but still has a lot more to go) and people were scolding her for it. She had a rant about the scolders this afternoon. It was her big fun thing that she did for a week, for goodness sake.

Seriously? Who scolds someone for their food or drink choices? I wish gastro upset on all of them.
  • Like 5

ugh. It's the same amount of calories,ounce for ounce, as a coke. Somehow I doubt they'd be scolding her for that. Heck, I don't see the scolding over the other flavored frappuchinos and they are just as bad, nutritionally. Part of me thinks it's getting so much hate because it's pink and girly. 

• Like 5

My middle dd (19) is home from college, and she took her younger siblings to get one today. I tried to warn them that it looked disgusting, but they really wanted to try it. They split a tall and said it tasted like fruit flavored chemicals. The 14 yo dd took a couple of sips & was done. The 12yo ds was more enthusiastic about finishing it. I asked him if he liked the taste and he said, "No, but I can't wait to see what color this turns my poop!"

Amber in SJ

Dare we ask you to report if the color shows up in his bowel movements?

• Like 1

What is most annoying to me about this drink is the sanctimonious criticism of it on FB (via FoodBabe)... all that "what's REALLY in the unicorn frappucino" hand-wringing stuff. It's not GOOD for you?!?! Shocker! :rolleyes:

What's more annoying is that a woman who makes ludicrous claims like "there is no safe level of chemicals to consume ever" has a following at all.

• Like 3

I read this thread and within an hour dd came home with one of these in her hand.  She'd planned on buying one earlier in the day so this thread was timely.

It's TERRIBLE.   Although dd kinda likes it!  The drink itself is not as bad as the whipped cream on top.  But, still, none of it is that great!  It got terrible reviews from what I read.

Ok, so I tried one yesterday.  I got it as a treat for my 14dd when I picked her up after track practice.  To me it tastes exactly like strawberry Quick.  Exactly.  It has that same powdery strawberry taste, and I haven't had strawberry Quick in at least 20 years.  

My oldest dd caused a big facebook controversy by posting that she had one day before yesterday. She has been dieting for the last year (and lost a good deal of weight but still has a lot more to go) and people were scolding her for it. She had a rant about the scolders this afternoon. It was her big fun thing that she did for a week, for goodness sake.

What is wrong with people? I cannot imagine a scenario in which social media scolding about nutrition would be appropriate. Her post should have been followed by a string of goofy emojis and funny descriptions of the drink.

Looked it up. Looks thoroughly artificial and contains no coffee. Shudder.

The description says that it uses "sprinkled pink and blue fairy powders" - no thanks! I am not consuming anything made with blue or pink powders  :ack2:

What is most annoying to me about this drink is the sanctimonious criticism of it on FB (via FoodBabe)... all that "what's REALLY in the unicorn frappucino" hand-wringing stuff. It's not GOOD for you?!?! Shocker!  :rolleyes:

LOL, no kidding. Everyone feels compelled to comment. I don't think anyone's claiming it's a health drink!

My daughter had one, as did every middle school aged girl in her acquaintance :laugh: She loved it, but did not care to have another today. I'm not sure that I have ever personally had a Starbucks drink, other than maybe a sip of someone's vanilla steamer, but I was willing to reward them for their brilliant marketing with a bit of cash for my daughter's beverage ;-)

• Like 2

My middle dd (19) is home from college, and she took her younger siblings to get one today.  I tried to warn them that it looked disgusting, but they really wanted to try it.  They split a tall and said it tasted like fruit flavored chemicals.  The 14 yo dd took a couple of sips & was done.  The 12yo ds was more enthusiastic about finishing it.  I asked him if he liked the taste and he said, "No, but I can't wait to see what color this turns my poop!"

Amber in SJ

:lol:

That reminds me of the time I got a call from DS's preschool while I was at work.  They were very concerned about the poop in his diaper.  It was green.

I got very concerned too and *almost* left work to go get him and take him to the doctor.

Then I remembered that we had purchased Hershey's chocolate syrup "Hulk style."  This was when the movie The Hulk had first come out.  Hershey's made GREEN syrup for a while.  He had had some the previous evening.

I had to call the preschool back and tell them not to worry, he just had Hulk poop! 

The description says that it uses "sprinkled pink and blue fairy powders" - no thanks! I am not consuming anything made with blue or pink powders  :ack2:

Sadly, I still enjoy pixie sticks.  Yup, admitting it is the first step, right????

And this one is made by fairies!