Menu

Who Else Has Tried the Starbucks Unicorn Frappucino?

Crimson Wife

Seemed like everyone was talking about it on my FB feed so I did get one made with almond milk so my youngest could have some and split it 4 ways.

My 14 y.o. girl thought it was pretty but hated the taste.

My 11 y.o. boy was dubious about all the pink but liked the taste.

My 8 y.o. girl thought it was pretty, liked the first few sips, and then decided she didn't want any more.

I thought it was very sweet and kind of like a Creamsicle when drinking it. It had a weird aftertaste, however.

• Like 2

All I can think about is that unicorns sh*t rainbows....so yeah, I'm not drinking that thing any time soon.

OTOH, I just typed "unicorn frappucino" into google and the first news story that came up was "Starbuck's Unicorn Frappucino tastes like sour birthday cake and shame."

Double no thank you.

I don't understand as it looks like it's marketed to young girls or kids. Seems like a limited appeal to sell.

I think that might be their plan.  Our oldest two grandkids LOVE to split a frappucino and it's a rare treat for them.  But when they do get one, their parents also buy a drink.  So with this drink Starbucks is getting the younger kids hooked and probably also gaining some adult sales when their parents buy a drink and then start going to Starbucks more often. 

• Like 8

I saw people making fun of it on twitter, and I thought it was a joke at first.  The first thing I saw mentioning it was "It tastes like diabetes and instagram likes"  I did look at the picture and I can say that it isn't anything I would ever think to try. But I'm more of a 'I have to be desperate for caffeine before I will step into a Starbucks so just give me an Americano" type of Starbucks customer.

Thanks for taking a hit for the team Crimson Wife, lol. You are very brave!  I wasn't totally convinced it wasn't an internet hoax but I guess it's not.

• Like 7

I think that might be their plan. Our oldest two grandkids LOVE to split a frappucino and it's a rare treat for them. But when they do get one, their parents also buy a drink. So with this drink Starbucks is getting the younger kids hooked and probably also gaining some adult sales when their parents buy a drink and then start going to Starbucks more often.

I guess that makes more sense. I really dislike Starbucks coffee and their prices so I don't really think about going there.

• Like 2

I don't understand as it looks like it's marketed to young girls or kids. Seems like a limited appeal to sell.

Most of the people I have encountered talking about it are grown women. Pink sells these days (seems like most of the women I know have a "rose gold" aka pink cell phone, and yeah, I'm one :lol: )

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us know how it was. The picture made me think of Hubba Bubba bubble gum in the cotton candy flavor--wasn't that the one with pink and blue swirl? But then the description said the blue was sour. Which I might like in bubble gum--if I chewed bubble gum. But for a beverage? Blech.

• Like 3

One of DH's Facebook friends described it as amoxicillin with random pockets of sour patch kids. I can't imagine drinking something that color at my age. I say that as someone who drank many "blue drinks" (some concoction with blue Curaçao) as a college girl.

• Like 2

I think that might be their plan. Our oldest two grandkids LOVE to split a frappucino and it's a rare treat for them. But when they do get one, their parents also buy a drink. So with this drink Starbucks is getting the younger kids hooked and probably also gaining some adult sales when their parents buy a drink and then start going to Starbucks more often.

Yup.

I was amazed a couple years ago, my niece, her friend and her younger brother were all dying to go to Starbucks in the morning at the beach. They were like 13-14. I was thinking, "How do they even *know* anything about Starbucks?!" But that's branding and marketing. It's the "cool" thing to show up somewhere with a Starbucks cup. *rolleyes*

• Like 3

I have to say, I really don't like Starbucks, but my dds (13 and 15) do.  I took them today as a treat and they both ordered these crazy drinks.  (I don't order anything because I don't like anything there.)  My dd13 said it tasted like rainbows.

I think this is a very limited thing Starbucks is doing -- something that may be here through the weekend or next week, but that's it. At least when I read about it.

So I think it may be planned as a short-lived, try it in the tiny window it is available type product.

I saw the big sign for it at our Starbucks today. (No, we didn't try one.)

I think that might be their plan.  Our oldest two grandkids LOVE to split a frappucino and it's a rare treat for them.  But when they do get one, their parents also buy a drink.  So with this drink Starbucks is getting the younger kids hooked and probably also gaining some adult sales when their parents buy a drink and then start going to Starbucks more often.

Yup.

I was amazed a couple years ago, my niece, her friend and her younger brother were all dying to go to Starbucks in the morning at the beach. They were like 13-14. I was thinking, "How do they even *know* anything about Starbucks?!" But that's branding and marketing. It's the "cool" thing to show up somewhere with a Starbucks cup. *rolleyes*

A lot of girls at my daughter's middle school love Starbucks. I saw a few who posted about buying one.

• Like 2

I saw it on the menu at the Starbucks in Target today. The sight turned my stomach enough to say no to coffee, and I got a Dr. Pepper.

And from what I've seen of the nutrition info of the drink, Dr Pepper also has less sugar and I'm sure it was a lot cheaper. #win

Yup.

Huh. I'm surprised you are surprised by that.  :-)  

We are not Starbucks fans at all, but sometimes that's all there is when coffee is needed (such as when traveling and need some coffee right now!), or the best place to meet someone/a group for coffee.  So my kids have always known about them.  We used to do some of our homeschooling in the Starbucks attached to our local Barnes and Noble.  

I'm surprised that Starbucks is considered cool anymore.  I would think it'd be cooler to show up with a cup from a small local cafe.   But maybe small local cafes just use generic cups.

I'm a Wawa gal myself.   :001_smile:

• Like 3

Yup.

My 9 year old dd tells me that having a Starbucks drink is definitely the cool thing to do. She sees it in Youtube videos (a few that we are okay with her watching). Amazingly, she hasn't asked me to take her to get this drink yet. I don't think I could do it for her. The cost and the sugar are just...ugh!!!

• Like 1

It was... interesting.  One of my kids wanted to try it so I bought one yesterday.  Creamsicle, yes, that's the familiar taste I couldn't identify.

The person in front of me in line ordered three.  The person in front of her ordered one.  The barista seemed pretty good-natured, considering those drinks take longer to make than something like a latte. 

Not sure if my kid will go get another one today, or if one was enough.

FYI, in all the discussions about this I ended up looking up the info on several of their drinks. Their brewed coffee has a TON of caffeine!!! A tall has 260mg! Where a tall latte only has 75mg. Just thought some other people might be interested in knowing that...that's a huge difference. (A home brewed cup generally has around 100-150 mg)

Huh. I'm surprised you are surprised by that. :-)

We are not Starbucks fans at all, but sometimes that's all there is when coffee is needed (such as when traveling and need some coffee right now!), or the best place to meet someone/a group for coffee. So my kids have always known about them. We used to do some of our homeschooling in the Starbucks attached to our local Barnes and Noble.

I'm surprised that Starbucks is considered cool anymore. I would think it'd be cooler to show up with a cup from a small local cafe. But maybe small local cafes just use generic cups.

I'm a Wawa gal myself. :001_smile:

Yeah, maybe. Here's one thing that I seriously never do, or even think about doing: leaving my house to go get food, coffee or ice cream out. I mean, it never crosses my mind. If I'm home, why would I get in the car and *go* somewhere to pay four bucks for a drink? I only get food/drinks/treats out if I'm: a) already out and it is time to eat or b) previously arranged to meet someone at a place where those things are served. I realize I am different in this respect. When we have all been at the beach house, the kids (not my kids) are always asking for this and it's weird to me. We're at the house but they want to go get ice cream or Starbucks or Chick-Fil-A. So odd to me.

• Like 2

FYI, in all the discussions about this I ended up looking up the info on several of their drinks. Their brewed coffee has a TON of caffeine!!! A tall has 260mg! Where a tall latte only has 75mg. Just thought some other people might be interested in knowing that...that's a huge difference. (A home brewed cup generally has around 100-150 mg)

Yeah, I only drink SB's decaf and I can't take that after about 2pm or there will be no rest for the weary.

• Like 1

Yeah, maybe. Here's one thing that I seriously never do, or even think about doing: leaving my house to go get food, coffee or ice cream out. I mean, it never crosses my mind. If I'm home, why would I get in the car and *go* somewhere to pay four bucks for a drink? I only get food/drinks/treats out if I'm: a) already out and it is time to eat or b) previously arranged to meet someone at a place where those things are served. I realize I am different in this respect. When we have all been at the beach house, the kids (not my kids) are always asking for this and it's weird to me. We're at the house but they want to go get ice cream or Starbucks or Chick-Fil-A. So odd to me.

Maybe they don't like the food offered at the house?   

Or, it's just fun to go out.  I mean, it's fun for those who like to go out.  It's not fun if you don't like it, of course.  :-)  

I don't know, I don't leave the house specifically to get a cup of coffee (unless we ran out but I wouldn't be getting a $4 latte or whatever in that case), but I find that the occasional cafe stop is a pleasant way to spend some time.  Now that I'm thinking of this, some of the best conversations I have with my daughter are at a cafe.  No distractions, just the two of us, talking.  She feels and thus acts like a grownup; if it's a difficult topic she can't flounce out of the room or start crying.  Sometimes she even treats me to my drink with her tip money.  :-)  

If I have time to kill, such as waiting for a kid to get out of a class, and I go to a Barnes and Noble to read, I'll buy a drink. Table rental fee, you might say.  

• Like 3

Some of us live in such remote areas that there is no Starbucks nearby. The nearest Starbucks is an hour and a half away, so it's an occasional treat when we're in a town that has one. I prefer my coffee drinks with as much chocolate as possible, and I can't make a real mocha at home.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

Some of us live in such remote areas that there is no Starbucks nearby. The nearest Starbucks is an hour and a half away, so it's an occasional treat when we're in a town that has one. I prefer my coffee drinks with as much chocolate as possible, and I can't make a real mocha at home.

You can take some of ours.

When I went to pick up the unicorn Frappucino yesterday, oldest DD questioned why I drove past the Target to the other end of the shopping plaza. She hadn't realized that there was a Starbucks cafe right in the same plaza as the Target that has a Starbucks. She was all, "Why would they put two Starbucks so close together?" and then I reminded her that in a 10 minute drive in the other direction there is a Starbucks cafe in the same plaza as a Safeway supermarket that has a Starbucks.

If I look on my phone app, I can count 9 Starbucks within a 2 mile drive of my house, and 16 within a 3 mile drive. :rolleyes:

I would trade all of them for re-opening the two Barnes & Nobles (both of which had Starbucks) that closed in the area within the past 5 years.

• Like 1

Looks terrible. I'm willing to admit I read the title and the first image that formed in my brain was an adolescent girl with leggings, a puffy jacket, and Ugg boots drinking a pink thing. Was not really wrong, looking into it more.

• Like 4

Yes.

And that is why a Starbucks iced coffee in the middle of summer is my favorite thing.  When I'm dragging, I get the big guns in play and all is well.

My 16 year old really wants to try the Unicorn.  It remains to be seen if she will.  When I have a free drink coming I take her along and let her get the biggest frap she wants, but I am not up to my next freebie yet.  Personally, I think it looks terrible!

On another board I'm on, I mentioned trying to cut back from 12 cups of coffee per day (I said I was trying to cut back!!). One girl asked "isn't that really expensive??" Um, no.

• Like 2

Huh. I'm surprised you are surprised by that.  :-)  

We are not Starbucks fans at all, but sometimes that's all there is when coffee is needed (such as when traveling and need some coffee right now!), or the best place to meet someone/a group for coffee.  So my kids have always known about them.  We used to do some of our homeschooling in the Starbucks attached to our local Barnes and Noble.  

I'm surprised that Starbucks is considered cool anymore.  I would think it'd be cooler to show up with a cup from a small local cafe.   But maybe small local cafes just use generic cups.

I'm a Wawa gal myself.   :001_smile:

Starbucks is a last resort for my oldest (the only one who regularly meets people for coffee or who goes out to study).  He much prefers meeting them at the local cafes.  But he prefers to get his chai (somehow, he doesn't like coffee?) in a real cup instead of a to go cup at these places.

Okay, I just looked this thing up....It looks DISGUSTING!

We don't have Starbucks anywhere near us.  The only time I've seen it was when we were in the Bangor Mall which is 2 hours south of us. (BTW: we had 3" of snow descend upon us last night. I woke up to a nightmare.)  I like coffee, so I walked over to the kiosk to peruse the menu.  I couldn't make heads or tails out if it.  All I wanted was a darn regular coffee. When I finally found that, it was an outrageous price for a small!!!!  No thank you.  I'm happy with my generic brand made at home.

• Like 1