Menu

Modest Junior size clothing? Does it exist?!

ForeverFamily

This is kind of a question, and kind of a vent (because I loathe clothing shopping)...

I am really frustrated clothing shopping for my 11yo daughter. She somewhat still fits kids size 16 shirts, but they will most likely be getting a little snug by the end of summer. So the next size up is in juniors, but yikes. Everything is so trendy and mature looking. Why oh why don't they have one more size up in kids size clothing. I just want some simple cute inexpensive summery t-shirts. As far as our families modest standards they can't be sleeveless or have low cut backs or, as I am seeing is the new trend, they can't have large holes cut out in the sleeve. I usually shop at stores like kohls or jcpenney. I love the colorful Arizona t-shirts in the kids size at jcpenney, but don't really see anything like that in juniors.

So what do you all do when your kids hit this awkward stage of being to large for kids clothing sizes but really too young to dress like they are 17? I am tempted to just try and hope she makes it through the summer with size 16 shirts. Or I am tempted to jump directly to women's sizes, have any of you done that? I really, really don't like the junior size clothing selection.

Thankfully I stocked up on shorts last year, so I just need tops and maybe a dress or two.

• Like 3

DD just got some really nice shirts and shorts at justice.  Watch for a sale and you can get some great deals. 

If you are looking for it, they have some great tank undershirts with a built in non itchy or annoying bra.  My DD has a longer torso so these are great being longer than normal.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2

My dd didn't like the junior clothing, especially shirts being so short.  We opted to just go to women's clothing in an XS at that age.  You can find basic t-shirts that are longer, and while slightly baggy(wide), they are more modest than the Jr clothing.  I just bought her t-shirts at Old Navy this week...she's now in women's Med.  She could do a Small, but prefers the baggy style of a medium...  Same for pants.  She liked the size 00 jeans at old navy instead of girls 16 or jr 1.  

• Like 9

The t-shirts my 12 year old likes are the Sonoma graphic t-shirts from the ladies' department at Kohls, or the "Life is Good" crusher tees (which are more expensive, but do seem to last longer).   She wears a size Small in each of those styles.   My biggest pet peeve from shopping in the juniors section of most stores is that the juniors t-shirts are either very low cut in front or the fabric is so thin it's see-through.   So we tend to look for "cute" designs in the ladies' section.   

Her favorite shorts are the tie-front bermudas from Justice or some bermuda jeans shorts we found in the juniors section of Kohls.   She wears an 18 in those.

• Like 2

We had the worst time finding an Easter dress for my 11 y/o.  All the dresses were either cutsie little girl styles or hubba-hubba mature teen clothes.  We finally went to Justice and she was in heaven.  The dresses were (for the most part) very appropriate length, neck line and strap width and she was very happy with the colors, decorations and styles.  They can be pricey though.  But we hit a good sale and she had a hard time picking two out of the pile she liked.

• Like 3

I'm in this boat with my dd too. Where do you find xs women's? Especially pants and dresses?

Target carries them. DD15 wears a 00 in pants and an XS in shirts, and she is able to find those sizes there.

I'm sure they are available elsewhere, too, but Target is closest to our house, so it is where we shop most often.

• Like 3

I'm in this boat with my dd too. Where do you find xs women's? Especially pants and dresses?

Banana Republic, JCrew, Armani Exchange for more formal working clothes or recital clothes. Nordstrom Rack and Bloomingdales Outlet for smart casual, casual as well as the very dressy prom/evening dresses.

ETA:

Banana Republic had XXXS in store and I was so amused.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

It does get easier! We had pretty good luck at Kohls with graphic tees and a few other items. Finding non skinny jeans for a tall, thin tween was hard but she eventually filled out to a size zero and it got easier. Dresses are still hard, although we found a couple of cute sweater dresses to pair with leggings at Old Navy and Target. Target had sweaters and shirts in x-small.

Basically I can't go to one store and do it in one fell swoop anymore. We hit Kohls, Target, Old Navy, and Abercrombie & Fitch (for the jeans). I miss the days of getting everything on sale in one place and even buying ahead.

• Like 2

I did this for DD for church tops--we shopped the...misses?  In Kohl's.  Where they stock Elle and Apt 9.  It's still hit and miss, but definitely more likely to find modest options that are still cute.  I also l-o-a-t-h-e clothes shopping.  I shop online whenever possible.

• Like 3

My nearly-11 year old is wearing women's small and mediums (and 6-8 pants).

Honestly, we've had the best luck with thrift stores. Lots of cute, graphic tees, plus skirts in various lengths. We have also found a good selection of Hanes v-neck fitted tees (the "v" isn't too deep for a young girl, and the fit isn't too tight). We have several colors of those, to match with skirts and capris.

For play shorts, Walmart has a longer mesh short (near knee length) that is very comfy. Last year, it was sold under the Danskin Now brand, but this year they've switched it to "AthleticWorks" ...but they're near-identical. We bought them in every color -- they're her go-to summer short.

Dresses - bah! We had the hardest time finding an Easter dress. I ended up buying a short (very short, almost tunic) women's dress from Amazon, with a higher neckline. It fits DD like a knee-length sundress. (She'll wear it with capri leggings.)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 4

Justice and Target have cute, modest clothing once you get past their window displays.  Justice goes to size 20.  Target has XS and goes to 16 in the girl's dept.  You might want to skip the junior dept no matter where you shop.  Many preteens still have a little girl belly which doesn't fit well in jr tops which are usually quite fitted.   I often reminded my self conscious preteen that it's totally normal/natural to "grow wider" before growing taller  because our bodies store that extra layer  to have energy  to grow.   

ETA:  Ross usually has a nice selection of summer dresses. 

Edited by Artichoke
  • Like 3

My DD prefers a sporty tomboy style for casual clothes so she typically shops in the boys' section. A boys' 16-18 is the same as a misses' 2P. For dressy clothes she usually gets stuff from the misses' petites.

I used to love getting some of my sport clothes in the boys' section, because they have pockets in their shorts and athletic pants. My arms are too long for their tops, though and after shrinking, I'm too tall for the pants. It's a great option, though.

• Like 2

Look at some higher end thrift stores. There you can find styles from many stores all in one place often in like new condition.

My daughter about the same size has actually found some nice tops at Rue 21 in the mall for $2-4 each. We had to dig through lots of tight/low things but what she found is very cute.

• Like 3

My nearly-11 year old is wearing women's small and mediums (and 6-8 pants).

Honestly, we've had the best luck with thrift stores. Lots of cute, graphic tees, plus skirts in various lengths. We have also found a good selection of Hanes v-neck fitted tees (the "v" isn't too deep for a young girl, and the fit isn't too tight). We have several colors of those, to match with skirts and capris.

For play shorts, Walmart has a longer mesh short (near knee length) that is very comfy. Last year, it was sold under the Danskin Now brand, but this year they've switched it to "AthleticWorks" ...but they're near-identical. We bought them in every color -- they're her go-to summer short.

Dresses - bah! We had the hardest time finding an Easter dress. I ended up buying a short (very short, almost tunic) women's dress from Amazon, with a higher neckline. It fits DD like a knee-length sundress. (She'll wear it with capri leggings.)

This!  We have awesome thrift stores in our area; everyone shops at them.  Dd and I had a fun afternoon at one of them, and she came home with an inexpensive pile of things that she actually wears.

To fill in, we shop at Wal Mart for the plain, short-sleeved, solid colored t-shirts that she lives in.  Medium colors work best because they are not see-through.

I agree that modest dresses are very hard to find.  Dd doesn't wear dresses very often because our church is very casual, but the ones she does wear all came from yard sales and thrift stores.  They are all women's size s and xs.  For speech and debate she wears black pants, a black jacket, and a white blouse that we got at Goodwill.  They are Talbots and Ann Taylor, so they have worn really well.

Good luck!  Keep trying; you will eventually find some things that work.

• Like 2

My oldest at that age hated the jr. department so ended up jumping to an XS Misses.  She was usually successful at Kohl's or at Old Navy but there were some years where her wardrobe was pretty minimal.  As she got a bit older she found that often she could find pants easily in the Jr. department but she still usually shops at Old Navy or Kohl's for tops.  She still complains about the lack of XS sizes but now I just tell her to enjoy it while she can :)  

Adding:  She always had more luck online than in the stores finding the XXS or XS sizes or in the bigger stores in the city a bit farther from us.

• Like 2

Another vote for thrift stores!

I think of the junior department kind of like the ya lit of clothing.

Ime, junior sizing is a little slimmer and fitted but it isn't necessarily the next step up from girls. It is more fashion driven.

Ya lit is not the next step up from "J books" before one moves into the general collection. Ya lit is about content (fashion) not reading level.

So just like one can skip the ya section, I agree with others that one can skip the Juniors department.

If misses feels a bit mature maybe a few quirky t-shirts could provide a youthful vibe.

Just my two cents!

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 3

Thank you everyone. You guys have mentioned a lot of great options I will be looking into. :) And now I don't feel as weird about going directly to the women's section. I will be more than happy to never set foot in the juniors section, except maybe for pants if needed. Shopping for my daughter has definitely brought back memories of shopping for my own clothes as a teen and how frustrating it was to find anything decent.

• Like 1