Menu

"Do me a solid and . . ."

Miss Peregrine

It sounds gross, yes.

It's been around a long time, though.  One episode of Psych poked fun at how it sounded.  Lassiter asked Juliet to pee in a cup in place of someone else and he said "Do me a solid and..." and they both just kind of paused and Juliet made a disgusted face and walked into the bathroom.

The phrase has been around at least since 1920s according to an old Time Magazine (they said it musician slang).  Kramer said it on Seinfeld in 1991 and so it entered the general population's language.  It was used in a couple of movies in the mid-2000s and more people started saying it when they heard it.  It seems to be a phrase that comes and goes.

• Like 4

I would never have made the association many of you apparently do. And several of you are suffering from a recency illusion as well - I clearly remember it from at least the 90s, if not longer. It's not at all novel or notable to me.

Same. I don't think I use it but I know I have said it. I also have a friend who says it a fair bit. It definitely dates back to at least junior high for me. So that's the early 1990s on the timeline of my life. It could be older.

• Like 2

I would never have made the association many of you apparently do. And several of you are suffering from a recency illusion as well - I clearly remember it from at least the 90s, if not longer. It's not at all novel or notable to me.

I wouldn't call it suffering. It means I haven't had to hear it as much. Lol

I know it from The Incredibles, when Helen calls her pilot friend and asks him, "do me a solid" and loan her a jet so she can go rescue Bob. I never thought of it as anything but calling in a favor.

When was that movie, 2003 or something?

• Like 1

It's just short for a solid favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know! It's never occurred to me to think about poop. Now that's ALL it's going to remind me of. Gee, thanks Hive!

I know it from The Incredibles, when Helen calls her pilot friend and asks him, "do me a solid" and loan her a jet so she can go rescue Bob. I never thought of it as anything but calling in a favor.

When was that movie, 2003 or something?

2004 (I just checked IMDb for the quote) – that's where I first heard it, too. Helen says, "Snug, I'm calling in a solid you owe me." It was obvious from context what she meant, so I figured it out, but I don't think I've heard it much or at all since.