Menu

If you don't shop Walmart or Target, where do you shop?

If you don't shop Walmart or Target, where do you shop? I had never heard of Costco until I started reading this forum.

How do you know if the store you do chooses to shop at is any better that Walmart or Target?

I'm just trying to pick your brain to see all the alternatives.

I know you can shop at local farmers markets for certain food items, if you have any near you. If you don't what do you do?

Where does one go for clothes, food and common household items?

Farmer's market

Whole Foods and another local chain

Shoppers (local chain-not sure how local)

BJ's

I avoid Walmart but do buy at Target when necessary, though I prefer online merchants for many of the purchases I would make at Target. I try very hard to buy toys at one of the wonderful local toy stores. It can be very hard when one is financially stressed or living in an area where some of these options are unavailable. I do know that my parents in a rural area shop a lot at a locally-owned food co-op store.

Online buying has transformed my life and I try very hard to buy from locally owned stores or individuals, or online though that is not always a good choice for other reasons. Sorting out how to spend responsibly is challenging to say the least.

Kroger, Tom Thumb, and Albertsons with coupons matched up to sales. Anything else that's not a steal at those stores gets saved for Costco and Walmart. Clothing at Kohls, shoes at shoebuy.com, just about everything else from Amazon with my Amazon Prime membership. 2 day shipping is free and there's no order minimum. Target only with sales/coupons.

Well, I do shop at Target, but I also shop at Kohl's. I have no idea what its track record is on labor, etc. That is probably something I should look into.

As far as food, household items, etc., we do the supermarket shuffle. Whoever has a sale (usually Stop-n-Shop in our area, or Shop-Rite), I'm there!

If you do shop at Target or a chain grocery store, aren't you buying the same name brands that you would be buying if shopped at Walmart? If so, what's the difference?

I guess what I mean is-If I buy Kraft Mac-N-Cheese and Tide at Kroger, Walmart or Local Joe's Grocery store, what is the difference since all Kraft and Tide products are made at the same place?

Wouldn't what name brand you buy have more impact than where you shop?

Am I missing something here?

Also, where does one buy clothes not made is sweat shops. Even if I sewed all my clothes, the cloth is probably made in sweat shops.

I honestly feel that there is no where to purchase necessities with out buying sweat shop products.

I would like to try.:001_huh:

For clothes and household items second hand all the way! Yes, even unders.....

I am fortunate to have many options locally and within close proximity.

It takes a bit more time though. For example, our toddler needs a new car-seat and I have been to every second hand store in the area and they cannot, for liability reasons, carry them. I could just go to Target or somewhere and buy the cheapest model today, but I am trying free-cycle and Craigs list, and word of mouth for a while longer...I know there are some out there I just have to find them.

e

It takes a bit more time though. For example, our toddler needs a new car-seat and I have been to every second hand store in the area and they cannot, for liability reasons, carry them. I could just go to Target or somewhere and buy the cheapest model today, but I am trying free-cycle and Craigs list, and word of mouth for a while longer...I know there are some out there I just have to find them.

e

It still doesn't change the fact that they were made in sweat shops.

If you do shop at Target or a chain grocery store, aren't you buying the same name brands that you would be buying if shopped at Walmart? If so, what's the difference?

I guess what I mean is-If I buy Kraft Mac-N-Cheese and Tide at Kroger, Walmart or Local Joe's Grocery store, what is the difference since all Kraft and Tide products are made at the same place?

Also, where does one buy clothes not made is sweat shops. Even if I sewed all my clothes, the cloth is probably made in sweat shops.

I honestly feel that there is no where to purchase necessities with out buying sweat shop products.

I would like to try.:001_huh:

The only thing you're missing as far as my post goes is something I failed to mention:

My dh positively forbids us to buy anything from Walmart. He simply doesn't want a cent of our money going to support that corporation ... so it's not about brands for us. He would probably pay more for something just to avoid buying it from that store.

If you don't shop Walmart or Target, where do you shop? I had never heard of Costco until I started reading this forum.

How do you know if the store you do chooses to shop at is any better that Walmart or Target?

I know you can shop at local farmers markets for certain food items, if you have any near you. If you don't what do you do?

When we take our yearly US trip, Target is one of the first places we go. I really miss Tarjay and thriftstores.

Here we shop the mercados, Soriana, Chedraui and Mega. Heading to Chedraui now for locally made sale end of season clothing.

Fred Meyer for groceries (they have a good bulk/organic selection, and the best prices in my area), toiletries, household items. Local market and fruit/vegetable stand for excellent produce selection/prices.

Target, JCPenney, thrift stores for clothes.

Wal-Mart is too far away for me to waste the gas driving there.

I find lots of Made-in-USA clothing at Costco. Not all of it but much of it. I know that doesn't help you since you don't have one near you, though.

I buy many things through a buying club and it is delivered. Many toiletries, since I use "natural" brands. I end up at Target every couple of months or so, though.

You are absolutely right!!!

However, I put a lot of value into the fact that they have already been purchased and discarded and wouldn't be used again otherwise. Is it contributing indirectly to the problem? I dont know for sure, but will certainly ponder it.

Sweatshop labour is not my only concern and may not even be my primary concern though...and there are companies that do not support unfair labour practices....even foreign ones.

Enviromental degregation and moral degregation due to materialism and consumerism are biggies for me as well as GREED and the "system" whichs sets us up to be consumers so the rich get richer. It really is way too lengthly and off topic to get into now, but corporate america has us where it wants us and does not care the toll that it takes on our Earth (all of creation) and its inhabitants. I will buy second hand simply for the fact that I do not have take part in all the packaging that goes along with buying, say a new alarm clock. There are many, many issues here I suppose is what I am trying to say.

Thanks for getting my brain going...

e

Good question! Superstores often chase small local businesses out of town or out of business. We live in a city of about 200,000 I suppose, and since Wal-Mart's opened up on our side of town we've lost our nearby toy store. I do drive past two Wal-Marts and go to Target for birthday presents, etc, which only makes me feel a little better. I would rather support a locally owned toy store.

Luckily our favorite grocery store is locally owned and has (so far) stood the test of Wal-Mart. We have a great little nieghborhood hardware store just down the street and, of course they're more expensive, but when I'm treated like a neighbor and a customer, rather than a nuissance to the salesperson, I'm happy to support their business.

We didn't used to have one-stop shopping. We used to have to go to the toy store for toys, the grocery store for groceries, and the hardware store for gardening supplies. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to compromise your principals and use it.

We choose not to support Walmart because of the business practices of the company itself, not those of the product brands carried there. Also, I was treated quite rudely by WM employees on one too many occasions! I do shop occasionally at Target, and frequently at BJ's. I also shop at the local "natural foods" store, and at a local pharmacy/ drug store.

Wherever I shop, I look for products made in the USA. While I realize that this doesn't necessarily mean there are no imported materials or ingredients, I do feel better about supporting companies that at least try to keep their manufacturing here in the states.

That said, I have no problems purchasing some imported items, for example: Shetland wool sweaters or Swiss watches. But I have been avoiding Chinese-made items, and most other Asian-made items whenever I can. *sigh* If only Apple would move all of their production to the states...

-Robin

e

The (retired) Child Passenger Safety Tech in me cringes at this. PLEASE PLEASE do not use a seat from someone you don't know first hand. You have no clue if it has been in an accident. Damage will not be visible in some cases.

Is your childs life worth that?

I will buy second hand simply for the fact that I do not have take part in all the packaging that goes along with buying, say a new alarm clock. There are many, many issues here I suppose is what I am trying to say.

Thanks for getting my brain going...

e

Ugh!!!! Packaging!!!! Again, UGH!!!! Why, Why, Why???? It is such a waste!!!! I would have almost nil trash if it weren't for packaging.:mad:

I hardly ever step foot in either Target or Walmart, and I don't buy groceries when I am there. Most of my groceries I buy at either Randall's (a Safeway chain), H.E.B. (a Texas chain...not massacre, lol), or at Central Market (owned by H.E.B. but sells healthy food) or Whole Foods. There are only a few food items I buy at Costco.

For food, I shop at the following places (in order of priority):

Local farmer's market

Local food co-op (mostly for meat and dairy that's local)

Local grocery store (they specialize in local foods, but I also order bulk stuff from them, and buy other random treats that can't be found locally)

Other locally-owned health food stores

Target

For clothes, usually thrift stores and Target. Household stuff, usually Target, or online.

I've poked around this site a few times:

http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/responsibleshopper/

Unfortunately, the truth seems to be that there is no "good" option when it comes to big-box retailers. They all have their failings. So, it comes down to deciding what are the biggest issues for you.

For me, personally, I avoid Wal-Mart both because I object to their business practices and because the stores are disgusting and the employees rude. (Before anyone objects, I'll say that I've been in multiple Wal-Mart stores in multiple states, and remain unimpressed. We did have one store locally that was briefly acceptable to me, but it went downhill when they opened the next new store. It was after that I swore off the brand for good.)

I buy most of our groceries at Publix, a regional chain. I buy certain specialty items (and sometimes other stuff if I happen to be in the store) at Whole Foods and a local health food chain called Chamberlins.

I do buy some clothing and household items at Target.

Mainly, what I try to do is buy less, just in general. I have als made a conscious choice to do my research and purchase higher-quality items that will last longer, rather than cheaper items that become disposable and must be replaced. I also try to be careful about the brands I purchase and to know something about the companies that produce them.

OK, now I have to try to figure out what state you live in. I've always lived near a Costco (in CO, CA, VA, MD, NJ and FL), so I was curious... what states are without them? They have Costco in 40 states according to their list...

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Location.aspx?country=United%20States&whse=BC&lang=en-US

In an effort to delay getting back to housework, I have discovered there are no Costcos in:

Arkansas

Louisiana

Maine

Mississippi

North Dakota

Rhode Island

South Dakota

Oklahoma

West Virginia

Wyoming

Edited by Kay in Cal

OK, now I have to try to figure out what state you live in. I've always lived near a Costco (in CO, CA, VA, MD, NJ and FL), so I was curious... what states are without them? They have Costco in 40 states according to their list...

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Location.aspx?country=United%20States&whse=BC&lang=en-US

In an effort to delay getting back to housework, I have discovered there are no Costcos in:

Arkansas

Louisiana

Maine

Mississippi

North Dakota

Rhode Island

South Dakota

Oklahoma

West Virginia

Wyoming

*Gasp* How do they live without Costco?

I do my food shopping at Trader Joe's, the natural food store, and the farmer's market.

Everything else I try to buy second-hand. If I need something new, I go to small local stores or I look online for companies with reputable business practices. I frequently order through Amazon because they carry a lot of products that are sustainably made.

I used to think Target was cool but now I realize that almost everything they sell was made in China. However, I would shop at Target but never at Wal-Mart simply because, on top of the crappy products, Wal-Mart is just a crappy company.

Tara

Instead of WalMart and Target (new to our area, last spring), I shop thrift stores, consignment, rummage, yard sales, Freecycle, and -- yes -- even do a little dumpster diving (though around here, it's not dumpsters, but more what people set out on the roadside the night before trash pick up. I am amazed/appalled at what some people throw away!!). I'm not above using second hand products. In fact, it's the only way we make ends meet around here. I don't replace an item simply because it shows some wear or because there is a newer version available. My iron (which I rarely use, btw) was my mother's. It is heavy, incorporates very little plastic, and I hope it lasts forever, because the newer ones are just junky, imo! Dh and I intentionally look for older electric fans -- the clunky kind with the huge metal blades -- because they work better than their modern plastic cousins. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without

But, despite the frugal sound of this, it's more than the cost savings. Like emeraldjoy and others state, for us it's about not supporting the consumer mentality that is so pervasive in this country (elsewhere, too, I know). It is nearly impossible to avoid the trap altogether. Even small, quaint sounding businesses and products are often owned by huge corporations behind the scenes. Our natural food store is an example. Once privately owned, it is now part of United Natural Foods which is a big, big operation. And, the foods they carry -- Muir Glen, Cascadian Farms, etc. -- are subsidiaries of enormous, conventional food distributors. So, I just do my best to shop smart, know as much as I can about the product and what's behind it, and then, I just have to choose as best I can. A goal, across all decision making, is to *just buy less*.

I shop for food at a variety of locations and also with some cooperatives. Mostly, I grocery shop at a local chain known as Graul's Market. Occasionally, I'll shop Food Lion, Safeway, or Acme Market (doesn't that make you think of Road Runner?). I go to Trader Joe's a few times a year and also to our natural food store occasionally. I am a regular and devoted customer at our farmers' market, and I order food through a food buying club as well. On occasion, I'll meet up with a farmer during the market off season.

I find that the best approach for this kind of change is an incremental one. Just once, when you have a hankering for a product, try living without it unless/until you can find one second hand. Just once, when you think you need to hit WalMart, see if you can source out another location for what you want. For me, decreasing my "need" for shopping at these kinds of stores was as much about breaking my habits of convenience as it was about anything else. Once youv'e done it a few times, it gets easier.

Unfortunately, the truth seems to be that there is no "good" option when it comes to big-box retailers. They all have their failings. So, it comes down to deciding what are the biggest issues for you.

Mainly, what I try to do is buy less, just in general. I have als made a conscious choice to do my research and purchase higher-quality items that will last longer, rather than cheaper items that become disposable and must be replaced. I also try to be careful about the brands I purchase and to know something about the companies that produce them.

Thanks for the link. We also simply buy less. I buy most of my clothing used and we seldom pay full retail for items.

I still shop at Walmart for groceries. We have one other store nearby but my grocery bill would more than double by shopping there and that is not an option for us.

We belong to a CSA, so get our organic produce shares from May through October. I also purchase additional items from either our CSA farmer or others when I pick up my share, then put the produce up for wither use. There are other perks to our membership, like the 100+ lbs of tomatoes I just put up, that were free at the end of season gleaning party at the farm. We also support friends who own an orchard by picking summer fruit there and putting it up.

We buy our milk directly from the family who owns the cows. It comes in repurposed gallon glass pickle jars, which I wash and return. I make my own yogurt and sour cream and am learning to make cheese. (In the meantime, cheese is purchased from a local source.)

We buy our meat from a local(ish) butcher. We are also planning on splitting a beef from a local farm with another family, once I ascertain (by visiting the farm) that the animals are humanely raised.

We order our pantry / personal / cleaning items through a natural foods buying club once a month. I make a great deal of what we eat (bread, stock, etc) from scratch and scrap.

I would estimate that about 80% of our diet is certified organic, 15% is not certified, but I know the growers personally, and the other 5% is the rare occasion when we eat out or I order something ghastly like non-organic chocolate chips from the buying club. :001_huh: Rough estimate is our grocery (with cleaners, personal care, supplements, etc) is around $600/month for a family of five.

We buy very limited "stuff". Clothing is often passed around our group of friends, I buy some used, and, sometimes, I buy something new, but with explicit knowledge of where it comes from. We never use disposable when we can use something that is reusable, and I try to repurpose something we already have before considering buying something, whether used or new.

In my opinion, consuming is much like parenting: we do the best we can, but always look for ways to improve. Every change we make toward our ideal is a good one. :001_smile:

We belong to a CSA, so get our organic produce shares from May through October. I also purchase additional items from either our CSA farmer or others when I pick up my share, then put the produce up for wither use. There are other perks to our membership, like the 100+ lbs of tomatoes I just put up, that were free at the end of season gleaning party at the farm. We also support friends who own an orchard by picking summer fruit there and putting it up.

We buy our milk directly from the family who owns the cows. It comes in repurposed gallon glass pickle jars, which I wash and return. I make my own yogurt and sour cream and am learning to make cheese. (In the meantime, cheese is purchased from a local source.)

We buy our meat from a local(ish) butcher. We are also planning on splitting a beef from a local farm with another family, once I ascertain (by visiting the farm) that the animals are humanely raised.

We order our pantry / personal / cleaning items through a natural foods buying club once a month. I make a great deal of what we eat (bread, stock, etc) from scratch and scrap.

I would estimate that about 80% of our diet is certified organic, 15% is not certified, but I know the growers personally, and the other 5% is the rare occasion when we eat out or I order something ghastly like non-organic chocolate chips from the buying club. :001_huh: Rough estimate is our grocery (with cleaners, personal care, supplements, etc) is around $600/month for a family of five.

We buy very limited "stuff". Clothing is often passed around our group of friends, I buy some used, and, sometimes, I buy something new, but with explicit knowledge of where it comes from. We never use disposable when we can use something that is reusable, and I try to repurpose something we already have before considering buying something, whether used or new.

In my opinion, consuming is much like parenting: we do the best we can, but always look for ways to improve. Every change we make toward our ideal is a good one. :001_smile:

Wow. You're my new hero. :lol:

We do some of the above, but what you're doing is really close to my ideal (if not my ideal!)

This is the first year we've bought grass-fed beef & lamb from a local farmer. I also buy local raw milk from our co-op in town. Most of our food comes from Trader Joe's & Costco, though, with the occasional stuff from Top Food or QFC. I'd love to grow more of my own food (had some green tomatoes this year) though. Oh, and we have a small flock of city chickens for our eggs. :) I intend to bake all of my own bread, which means we don't eat bread a lot any more. :lol: I've made yogurt twice now, but it doesn't taste quite right. :confused: Not really sure how to remedy that.

Wow. You're my new hero. :lol:

We do some of the above, but what you're doing is really close to my ideal (if not my ideal!)

This is the first year we've bought grass-fed beef & lamb from a local farmer. I also buy local raw milk from our co-op in town. Most of our food comes from Trader Joe's & Costco, though, with the occasional stuff from Top Food or QFC. I'd love to grow more of my own food (had some green tomatoes this year) though. Oh, and we have a small flock of city chickens for our eggs. :) I intend to bake all of my own bread, which means we don't eat bread a lot any more. :lol: I've made yogurt twice now, but it doesn't taste quite right. :confused: Not really sure how to remedy that.

Nah, what we do isn't heroic. It's cheap. My ideal would be living in a completely self reliant system, perhaps with some barter with other locals. Alas, we live in town (a town from which you can leave in any direction and immediately come upon a commercial chicken house) so we aren't even allowed to keep laying hens. Sigh.

The way I keep up with bread is a) I have a friend who also makes her family's bread and is currently 31 weeks along with twins, so I bake to bring her some random loaves, too and b) I double the batches and either let half slow-rise in the fridge or bake it all off and freeze some loaves. That helps with bread diversity, too... seems no one in my house finds chicken salad on cinnamon-raisin appealing. Go figure.

My yogurt usually takes on the characteristics of the starter. That, and I've found honey is not the best sugar to use... makes the whole batch smell like Burt's Bees powder. :ack2:

The (retired) Child Passenger Safety Tech in me cringes at this. PLEASE PLEASE do not use a seat from someone you don't know first hand. You have no clue if it has been in an accident. Damage will not be visible in some cases.

Is your childs life worth that?

I cringed, too.:ohmy: I echo the PLEASE do not buy a carseat second hand from someone you do not know.

And, just curious...really? Second hand underwear? Are they just in second hand stores but in unopened packages? Or are they actually used? I didn't even know it was legal to sell used underwear.

Thanks for the fyi on the carseats; I most definately will be careful and very cautious about this.....me and my conspiracy theories though....I can't help but think all of these safety regulations are part of a bigger picture where some bigger peeps are making some bigger money....but don't worry, when it comes to the safety of my kids, I will be careful.

As far as undergarments; this is a good illustration of breaking the habit of convenience as someone else alluded to. I could go to walmart and find a big pacakge for very cheap; especially if they are on sale and that would be it for the year, or whatever, and this is very tempting. However I just have to diligently search for good quality and obviously barely used (you can tell by the way). Sometimes I find one pair of undies for example, sometimes I find several and sometimes I find none; then I just have to wait and look next time.

There is something sort of freeing about just being okay NOT having what I feel I need for awhile.....

emerald

You are quite amazing!:hurray:

Arkansas

Louisiana

Maine

Mississippi

North Dakota

Rhode Island

South Dakota

Oklahoma

West Virginia

Wyoming

I live in Low Country of SC. Unfortunatly where I live, land is very hyper inflated which prevents many major and small business from coming to the area. You really have to be a BIG name brand store to afford rent were I live. Still, some of the big name don't make it. Goodies and Linen and Things just went out of business where I live.

We do have a Sams Club near us (Walmart owned of course).

Honestly, only a couple of stores mentioned in this tread are near me. We have Publics, Kroger, Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly, but they cost me at least $30-$50 more on a grocery bill. I honestly just can't afford an extra $200 a month for food.

We buy most stuff at the local Spartan grocery store. It's expensive, but the other options are 30 min. plus gas$ away.

For extra household stuff we stop at the local Kmart. Not my favorite, but it's there in town. and has basics. Sometimes we go to the local Ace hardware.

When we do go to the "big city" we try to hit all the necessary stores in one trip. I used to shop at Target all the time, but I haven't been there in about a year. And much to my surprise I don't miss it (that much).

For clothes, it's the local Goodwill or Landsend.

• 5 years later...

Yes, you are missing something. The shop gets a cut of the action. Kraft doesn't have a little kiosk inside of the store where it is selling mac and cheese; the store (whether it's Kroger, Walmart, Whole Foods, or some locally owned grocery store) buys them and sells them, thereby deriving some profit by selling it for a higher price. They then use it for paying their low-level employees, paying the management, contributing to the community, contributing to financial campaigns or political causes, and so forth. 

Just because something is made in a factory, doesn't make it a "sweat shop," as far as I am concerned. Similarly something could conceivably be made in a home under terrible, exploitative conditions. I am not sure where to buy clothes that aren't made under horrible conditions, but I also don't generally buy clothes from those sorts of general stores like Target/Walmart. 

I buy a lot of my groceries at locally owned ethnic stores (of different ethnicities), and they sell a lot of stuff from China. A lot. Although I did recently buy a plastic container that was made in Lebanon. That was a surprise.

I have no Goodies, Publics, Food Lion, or Piggly Wiggly where I live. But I've always wanted to shop in a Piggly Wiggly.

I refuse to go into a WalMart or Target (one just opened here in my city and I still have not entered its doors, but its ALL the rage right now).

It's less about the brand practices, as it is about the company itself. I've seen a LOT of smaller locally owned shops close when WalMart pushed them out. 

For food, in the summer it's the Farmers Market and in the winter it's as local as I can get it. For things I can't get at the Market, I go to a local food coop. 

I try to buy my kids clothes second hand as much as I can, or from a local store if I have to buy new. 

But it's truly getting to the point where for certain things, you HAVE to shop at a big MNC. Our city is box-store crazy. It's all there is - even restaurants, it's hard now to find a mom n pop restaurant now in this city. 

I do what I can, and forgive myself when I can't - sometimes it's truly out of my hands, and I won't drive 4 hrs away to shop at a non-chain. That makes no sense. 

For me, personally, I avoid Wal-Mart both because I object to their business practices and because the stores are disgusting and the employees rude. (Before anyone objects, I'll say that I've been in multiple Wal-Mart stores in multiple states, and remain unimpressed. We did have one store locally that was briefly acceptable to me, but it went downhill when they opened the next new store. It was after that I swore off the brand for good.)

I buy most of our groceries at Publix, a regional chain. I buy certain specialty items (and sometimes other stuff if I happen to be in the store) at Whole Foods and a local health food chain called Chamberlins.

I do buy some clothing and household items at Target.

This exactly. Plus I try to frequent the farmer's market. I also shop at Costco.

I steer as far from Walmart as can, on principle, although I have found myself needing to go there once or twice.

Target is simply a bit out of the way, so trips there are infrequent.

I wouldn't say we *never* go to these places, but they aren't our norm.

I buy bulk items (meats, toiletries, eggs, butter) at Costco.

I buy food and cleaning supplies at Publix (sometimes Bi-Lo, if I'm in that area and need one or two things).

We buy clothing from various places... Macy's is our favorite, but we also hit up Old Navy.

Thanks for the fyi on the carseats; I most definately will be careful and very cautious about this.....me and my conspiracy theories though....I can't help but think all of these safety regulations are part of a bigger picture where some bigger peeps are making some bigger money....but don't worry, when it comes to the safety of my kids, I will be careful.

This has nothing to do with conspiracy. The parts of a carseat can be broken, without being noticeable, in an accident (even just a fender bender), making the carseat unsafe.

I echo the other ladies - PLEASE do not buy a second hand carseat.

e

Can one donate underwear?  I have some nice Gymboree boys underwear, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.  I could not bear to throw them away, and I was debating if I need to use them as dust cloths.