Menu

Great campaign to get women exercising

Laura Corin

I really believe that there is a cultural difference between women exercising in the UK and in North America. Maybe things are changing, and hopefully they are, but a friend of mind from the UK told me (about 15 years ago) that women in the UK don't jog around the neighbourhood to exercise, they walk over to the fridge and open it. Exercising in public just wasn't part of the culture for women. Personally, I don't know. I know Canadian exercise culture, and here a video like this would hopefully be inspiring. I'm sure Laura and others from the UK have a much better handle on it. I just wanted to point out that this is obviously a UK program. I'd love to see it be really, really successful.

I think things are changing, but public embarrassment if definitely an issue.  I'm on a UK Couch to 5K board and it is full of people my age, more women than men.  But being seen jogging is definitely something that people talk about needing to overcome, as well as memories of humiliation at school.

For the record, I run in public and take yoga classes where I'm the oldest person present.  But I'm also less concerned about my appearance than other aspects of myself - that's not the same for all women.

• Like 4

Yes, I don't like exercise because it is hard and boring.

The only way for me to regularly exercise is to have an actual need to do the physical activity. 

Yep.  The best for me was when I had physical jobs with a lot of running around, lifting, etc.  No need to go to a gym! 

I hate going to the gym truth be told, but nothing else gets done so I just go.

• Like 1

Why does exercise have to be so athletic and competitive?  Is there no middle ground between aggressive athleticism and being completely sedentary?

This is definitely a factor for me.  I am not competitive and I am not athletic.  Even exercises classes are not fun for me.  The group moves left, I move right.  They jump up, I bend down.  I just can't freaking keep up and then I feel stupid.

• Like 3

If the target demographic is British women, why use an American narrator - Maya Angelou?   (rhetorical question)  That just seems odd to me.  

I dunno.  Different things are motivating to different people.   I never liked any form of exercise even as a kid.  Well, I always liked to hike and explore.  But if that wasn't available (which it usually wasn't)  I wanted to stay home and read.   Now I exercise because I know I have to.  Hiking is not an option most of the time but I do walk daily and get out to the woods when I can.  Anyway, I can see how it might be motivating to some but did nothing for me personally.  

Like Sparkly, I can't do most group exercises.  I am clumsy and out of step.  But those types of classes are too expensive for me anyway.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

I actually don't think people are lazy. I think some people have a lot of barriers between them and exercise, and some have a lot fewer. 

The person with fewer barriers might look more responsible, but who knows how they'd fare once you put a few more roadblocks in their way ?

For example, I walk daily. Is that because I'm 'not lazy' ? Or is it because I have access to good public transport, and to a well maintained, safe, free council walking track 10 minutes from my house ?

I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

I am SO lazy!  And I really sunk into it for a few months, but I'm back to cardio and weights.  I'm not less lazy than before, just back to a place where I can afford a gym, my kids are watched (by my other kids, though I used child care at my previous, more expensive gym,) and I have a little bit more time. I don't like to work out outside of a gym.

There is a giant dose of privilege in that, even though I could point to times I made things (kinda) work when life was more complicated.  Different factors definitely play out for different people.

That said, I adore the video, and it will probably keep me motivated enough to not skip the gym on any of my scheduled days this week.

• Like 2

If the target demographic is British women, why use an American narrator - Maya Angelou?   (rhetorical question)  That just seems odd to me.  

I suppose the answer is 'Why not?'  We hear American voices all the time (Hollywood, etc.) so an American voice-over doesn't sound 'other'.  And it's a great voice and a great poem.

• Like 3

I love it! Thanks for posting.

IMO there can never be too many positive body image messages put out there in the world. Anything that lifts us up and empowers us is a win. I thought this was very honest and real. There seems to be so much fear surrounding the idea of strong women--even from women, who internalize those messages from a very young age. I say it's time to change the message. :)

• Like 6

I say anything that gets people moving is great.

I love that they are using real people. I think there is a perception that exercise has to be some intense thing. Or you have to look a certain way. 

It doesn't have to be complicated, the goal is to move more, any time you move more that is better, even if it isn't some ideal, even if you never look like a fitness model.

I do a lot of exercise/activity with my kids some is formal, some is not. We take walks- I used a baby carrier when my youngest was smaller or a stroller- even now on super long walks I throw the 4yo in the stroller. I have a kid carrier on the back of my bike so we can all go biking together. We do inside workouts together, bodyweight & yoga stuff. We adventure through the woods and parks. I bought everyone snowpants/winter gear so we can go in any weather. I've rarely ever used gym childcare, not that there is anything wrong with it but you don't have to. 

• Like 4

There are all sorts of ways to emphasize "a real purpose" to exercising:

- transportation (walk/cycling/running/skiing to specific destinations)

- enjoying nature (hiking/skiing/running/climbing/paddling in local nature)

-  getting and staying physically fit for health and well-being

- social interaction 

- improving in a specific skill set 

- competition (for those who enjoy it)

- family time  (sharing an activity with children, spouse, or other family members)

- getting outside for vitamin D dose

• Like 8

Women with children often list lack of time as the biggest barrier the exercise.  For me, that is the case.  I like to walk but in the winter, DH gets usually gets home after dark and it is so cold and there are errands to run and stuff to do.  In the summer it can be too hot and sunny.  I think it's best in spring and fall.

I feel weird about exercise classes.  First of all, I find them too strenuous.  If you want the general public to move then give them exercise classes that are much more moderate.  It is better than being sedentary.  Secondly, I usually hate the music.  I prefer melodic music.  It motivates me more than BANG, BANG, BANG music.  Third, I feel so dumb every time I make a mistake.  Finally I feel really uncomfortable about exercise clothes.  Like I might come to class wearing blue leggings and a pink top and all the other women will be wearing identical black shorts and a blue top and they might stare at me and think "Eww, who is she?" and I will want to run and hide.  I know how immature this is and silly on my part to have this thought but I still have thoughts like this.  And then I would sweat and have to shower a second time which would take more time and make my skin dry.  And then, why pay money for all these hassles?

I would rather dance freestyle to pop music at a smoke-free dance club wearing jeans or a flowy dress but I don't know of any dance clubs, and could I go alone?  Would everyone twenty years old?  probably.  I end up dancing in my kitchen.  My kids like it.

Why does exercise have to be so athletic and competitive?  Is there no middle ground between aggressive athleticism and being completely sedentary?

If I may make a suggestion:  if there are classes in your area that are aimed at the elderly, give them a try!  My gym has what they call "silver sneakers" classes, which are designed particularly for older folks, but open to anyone.  I tried them when I first got my membership, and I think they are great for beginners.  Both the instructors and the other participants were extremely friendly and welcoming.  I've taken a variety of classes at my gym now, but those were by far the most relaxed and fun.  Also, you do not need to worry about the latest fitness fashion in those classes.  And you will probably like the music better too!  Those classes really were, in my experience, that middle ground that you're seeking.

• Like 3

Ok, I'll admit I don't like sweating. I got my PE teacher in high school mad at me for telling her that real ladies don't sweat. I've exercised off and on over the years and have even broken out into a sweat but I hated the feeling. Yes, a shower made it better but I had to live with the feeling while exercising. Yuck!

I didn't care for the video. It might have been better if the women spoke up for themselves that they enjoyed moving and exercising. It was just a bunch of women moving around. I'm not inspired to get up and move myself. So maybe the video won't work for people like me who dislike exercise. All I thought about was More Power To You for enjoying yourself, but I'll stick to my own lifestyle, thank you very much.

None of those things are motivational to me.  Except maybe the getting/staying fit for health and well-being.  But I've been at it for quite some time now and only until very very recently have I not been in constant pain from exercising.  Which has been pretty demoralizing to say the least.  I am glad I hung in there because I'm starting to FINALLY notice a difference.  But really, it has been an ongoing struggle mentally and physically. 

- social interaction 

- family time  (sharing an activity with children, spouse, or other family members)

• Like 3

I didn't care for the video. It might have been better if the women spoke up for themselves that they enjoyed moving and exercising. It was just a bunch of women moving around. I'm not inspired to get up and move myself. So maybe the video won't work for people like me who dislike exercise. All I thought about was More Power To You for enjoying yourself, but I'll stick to my own lifestyle, thank you very much.

It's part of a wider campaign (that started last year) so that is included too.

http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk/stories/

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

- social interaction 

I love your list!  I'm going to add:

- anti-aging

- better sleep 

- improved mood/outlook

- effective treatment for depression and anxiety

- coping strategy for ADD/ADHD

- improved memory and cognition

- reduced chance of major diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer

- reducing the symptoms of chronic and degenerative diseases

- improved self-image

Any more?

• Like 7

None of those things are motivational to me.  Except maybe the getting/staying fit for health and well-being.  But I've been at it for quite some time now and only until very very recently have I not been in constant pain from exercising.  Which has been pretty demoralizing to say the least.  I am glad I hung in there because I'm starting to FINALLY notice a difference.  But really, it has been an ongoing struggle mentally and physically. 

I have to say, you really have my respect and admiration for sticking with it in such difficult circumstances!  That would be incredibly tough.  When I started doing serious cardio, I was rewarded almost immediately with a reduction in the frequency and severity of my migraines.  Instant reward - very motivational!  If the result had been more pain instead of less, I probably would have given up.  I've talked to several people with chronic illness (like fibromyalgia, lupus, etc.) who say that exercise is what is keeping them going.  But they had to slog through weeks and weeks of feeling worse before it helped them start to feel better.  That has to be . . . challenging, to say the least.

• Like 2

I *can* walk to all of those places, but I don't *need* to walk to them - I can drive, which is easier (warmer, faster, less effort, etc.)

I was in the best health of my life when we didn't own a car.

But see, I do have somewhere to go - I can walk to the shops, to the station, to the bus, to the park, down to the river and over to ds' soccer etc.

It's all set up for me to do purposeful walking instead of driving. 

I was wondering in a honest, not smart ass way what you consider walking distance. There are many places nearby that I can drive to in 5 minutes or less but when I think how long it would take me to walk it seems overwhelming.

• Like 1

I was wondering in a honest, not smart ass way what you consider walking distance. There are many places nearby that I can drive to in 5 minutes or less but when I think how long it would take me to walk it seems overwhelming.

Well, five minutes at 30mph is 2.5 miles, which would take a bit under an hour to walk at an average pace.  For me, a mile each way is easy walking distance, but I often do two miles each way too.  For example, it is two miles from my garage to my office, so I drop my car at the garage and walk to work, reversing at the end of the day.

ETA: when I was a child, my primary school was half a mile away and no one would have driven.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I love your list!  I'm going to add:

- anti-aging

- better sleep 

- improved mood/outlook

- effective treatment for depression and anxiety

- coping strategy for ADD/ADHD

- improved memory and cognition

- reduced chance of major diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer

- reducing the symptoms of chronic and degenerative diseases

- improved self-image

Any more?

These are wonderful, too. It's really easy to forget about all the cognitive or neurological benefits of physical activity. Stress reduction is a HUGE factor for me in exercising. Those endorphins are powerful. 

• Like 6

I can walk for many miles, but that is not realistic for errands and daily commute.

For stuff that needs to fit into my work day, 20-25 minutes is a fine walking distance.

It takes me 45 minutes to walk to work, and I only do this when it snows (because driving may be iffy); I am not willing to leave that early in the morning on a regular basis.  Those of my colleagues who walk in to work have about 20-25 minutes. My mom walks 15-20 minutes to the grocery store.

When I lived in Germany and my kids were little, we first walked to daycare and then I continued to work, for a total of about 40 minutes - but part of that was at toddler pace; as a lone adult it would have been quicker.

For distances above a mile, I find biking preferable.

And on the topic of laziness: of course people are lazy! I have absolutely no excuse for not biking to work, now that I don't have to fetch/drop off children anywhere; I drive most days simply because I am lazy. But I am working on that. I drove this morning, but will hop on my bike in a few minutes to go back to work for the afternoon.

ETA: OTOH, DH and I walk 3 miles for recreation after dinner; it takes us about an hour. But that is for time to talk and unwind, not to get from A to B.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

when I was a child, my primary school was half a mile away and no one would have driven.

I live about 0.7 miles from the elementary school.

Of all the families in our street, I was the only working mom, and I was the only one who walked to school. All other moms drove their kids. The first fall, people stopped to offer us rides because they could not fathom that we could possibly walk out of our own volition. And I got very weird comments when I told anybody that I walk to the elementary (drop off DS), than another 0.3 miles to the middle school (drop off DD), then back home to change and go to work. "You walk TWO Miles?????" They looked at me as if I had two heads.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I live about 0.7 miles from the elementary school.

Of all the families in our street, I was the only working mom, and I was the only one who walked to school. All other moms drove their kids. The first fall, people stopped to offer us rides because they could not fathom that we could possibly walk out of our own volition. And I got very weird comments when I told anybody that I walk to the elementary (drop off DS), than another 0.3 miles to the middle school (drop off DD), then back home to change and go to work. "You walk TWO Miles?????" They looked at me as if I had two heads.

Here, they bus all the kids. It's CRAZY. There are half a dozen kids waiting for a bus, while the school is 2 blocks away. They have to stand in the cold waiting for the bus longer than it would take for their parents to just walkthem  the 2 blocks. It's nuts.

Edited by wintermom

Here, they bus all the kids. It's CRAZY. There are half a dozen kids waiting for a bus, while the school is 2 blocks away. They have to stand in the cold waiting for the bus longer than it would take for their parents to just walkthem  the 2 blocks. It's nuts.

In the UK, I believe that the school has to be at least a mile away for a bus to be provided, but I may be wrong.  Lots of parents will drive shorter distances though.

• Like 1

And on the topic of laziness: of course people are lazy! I have absolutely no excuse for not biking to work, now that I don't have to fetch/drop off children anywhere; I drive most days simply because I am lazy. But I am working on that. I drove this morning, but will hop on my bike in a few minutes to go back to work for the afternoon.

Yep - I'm lazy.  I keep saying that I want to move to a more walkable city, and there are definitely more walking-friendly cities out there than the one I live in.  BUT, I could walk more right now, right here but I don't because I'm lazy.  The grocery store that I do most of my shopping at:  1.2 miles.  Totally walkable.  Yet I drive because I'm lazy.  The community college where my daughter takes classes:  1.4 miles.  Absolutely walkable.  Yet we drive because we're lazy (and she would add, because her books are heavy :D )  I really need to start working on this.  

For those that hate sweat, or looking silly, can I suggest water aerobics? I go at my gym, and yes, I'm the youngest one there, but that means I look GOOD comparatively, lol!!!! There are no super svelte people there. Lots of frumpy suits, and some women just wear yoga pants and a shirt even in the pool. Nothing to "keep up with" because most exercises are "go at your own pace" for 30 seconds or a minute or whatever (the instructor tells you when to start and stop). Plus, you are shoulder or chest deep in water, and so is everyone else, so no one can even see your body or what you are doing. 

For those that like home exercise that is less strenuous, Walk Away the Pounds or Sweatin to the Oldies are both good. (I think sweating to the oldies is way more fun). 

• Like 4

It's part of a wider campaign (that started last year) so that is included too.

http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk/stories/

There is a great quote on the website, and I've found this to be so true for myself; "I learnt to much about myself." She goes on to say, "I can run, I am flexible, I can do the splits and boy can I punch." 

I think that is a very powerful message to anyone, and especially young women. Learning that you can accomplish a whole lot more than you thought you could, is empowering. It starts a pathway of setting new and more challenging goals in all areas of one's life. 

Even as a 40 year old women, the mental strength it took to tackle a goal like running my first marathon was empowering, not to mention a whole lot tougher than I was expecting. Those last 12 km were a killer! How much easier it would have been to just hop in a car and drive the bleepin' 42 km, but what a world of difference it made to go the "way less traveled."

• Like 7

I have to say, you really have my respect and admiration for sticking with it in such difficult circumstances!  That would be incredibly tough.  When I started doing serious cardio, I was rewarded almost immediately with a reduction in the frequency and severity of my migraines.  Instant reward - very motivational!  If the result had been more pain instead of less, I probably would have given up.  I've talked to several people with chronic illness (like fibromyalgia, lupus, etc.) who say that exercise is what is keeping them going.  But they had to slog through weeks and weeks of feeling worse before it helped them start to feel better.  That has to be . . . challenging, to say the least.

I've had fibro for almost 30 years now.  Exercise keeps me going and keeps me from going.  What I mean is, if I don't move a certain amount each day, my muscles start to cramp up, leading to a pain cycle that keeps me immobile and has led to me being a semi-invalid in the past.  But it I exercise too hard, then I go into a bad fibro flare, making it hard to move.  It's a vicious circle.  And no, at least for me, there is no ultimate improvement where I start to feel better - at least in a more permanent way.  I've worked with physical therapists for the past year and there was no big motivational reward.  In fact, we finally gave up because while it  helped in some ways, it did not progress me at all and insurance requires progress in order to keep paying for it.  So now I do the therapy at home because while the therapy itself is very painful, it does have benefits.  But I don't expect to get to a point where it isn't painful or where it actually changes my body in a positive way.  It's just keeping things from getting worse. 

• Like 2

In the UK, I believe that the school has to be at least a mile away for a bus to be provided, but I may be wrong. Lots of parents will drive shorter distances though.

That's a common bussing distance here too. I've never heard of bussing kids who live closer anywhere we've ever lived, city, town or rural.

Most all the kids in our neighbourhood walk or bike to school. Parents go with them if they have the time. Honestly, work schedules need to work for that to be a reality though, and that's not a luxury everyone has. Same with general street safety; we are lucky in that regard.

I've had fibro for almost 30 years now.  Exercise keeps me going and keeps me from going.  What I mean is, if I don't move a certain amount each day, my muscles start to cramp up, leading to a pain cycle that keeps me immobile and has led to me being a semi-invalid in the past.  But it I exercise too hard, then I go into a bad fibro flare, making it hard to move.  It's a vicious circle.  And no, at least for me, there is no ultimate improvement where I start to feel better - at least in a more permanent way.  I've worked with physical therapists for the past year and there was no big motivational reward.  In fact, we finally gave up because while it  helped in some ways, it did not progress me at all and insurance requires progress in order to keep paying for it.  So now I do the therapy at home because while the therapy itself is very painful, it does have benefits.  But I don't expect to get to a point where it isn't painful or where it actually changes my body in a positive way.  It's just keeping things from getting worse. 

I'm so sorry, Jean.  That sounds really rough.  :grouphug:  I certainly don't mean to sound like exercise is a miracle cure for every ailment.  I think it's powerful stuff, but that doesn't mean it can alleviate all suffering.  So I apologize if I was insensitive toward people who are in your situation.

Ok, I'll admit I don't like sweating. I got my PE teacher in high school mad at me for telling her that real ladies don't sweat. I've exercised off and on over the years and have even broken out into a sweat but I hated the feeling. Yes, a shower made it better but I had to live with the feeling while exercising. Yuck!

Check out the website that Laura linked. It goes into more detail about each women in the video. It's very interesting to read their stories. They are all just ordinary women trying out a wide variety of physical activities. Maybe one of them will inspire you to re-visit a past activity or try something new.

As a teen, I didn't care much for sweating either, which is one of the reasons swimming was perfect, as the sweat, if I even noticed it, was rinsed away instantly. Now, I don't mind sweat at all. In fact, it doesn't seem like I've done enough exercise if I don't sweat. Working hard in the winter is great, though, as there is usually a lot less sweat unless you overdress.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I'm so sorry, Jean.  That sounds really rough.   :grouphug:  I certainly don't mean to sound like exercise is a miracle cure for every ailment.  I think it's powerful stuff, but that doesn't mean it can alleviate all suffering.  So I apologize if I was insensitive toward people who are in your situation.

Oh don't apologize!  I am very pro exercise.  As I said upthread somewhere, I found the video to be motivational.  If I had my way, I would be doing cardio kickboxing and Zumba and running half marathons with my daughter.  But while for a while I did work myself up to doing Zumba and cardio kickboxing (but never the half marathons), by the end I was doing them with tears of pain rolling down my face and had to stop.  I've just added one day of Zumba back last week.  It took me four days to recover from that one hour but I think I will be there again this week.  I'm in this weird split between being depressed because it's so hard, being resigned to it being that way and yet stubbornly trying to keep hope anyway that I can be a healthy strong woman who can kick butt with the best of them. 

• Like 4

I wish there was more opportunity to walk places around here.  Outside my neighborhood is all busy, hilly, narrow roads with no sidewalks and no shoulders.  and people drive fast. and bikers.  It would be too dangerous to try and walk anywhere especially with the kids.

I have been scanning google maps trying to see if there's a back way to get from my neighborhood to the nearest town's main street.  It wouldn't work for any kind of needed errands but they have nice cafes and a homemade ice cream place that would probably keep the kids from whining the entire time.  It would be about 3 miles each way, but mainly flat ground so I think it would be possible at a nice leisurely pace.

• Like 2

I'm in awe of you who are able to walk places purposefully like the library, grocery store or work. Where I live, there are no sidewalks. I live on a one street neighborhood. It takes me about 10 minutes, maybe, to walk from one end of our street to the other. It would be boring indeed to just walk that stretch up and down. And we don't have sidewalks. I live 5 minutes away from the grocery store on a highway that is 55 mph so I don't know how long it would take me to walk it. But I'm certainly not going to walk on the side of a busy highway to get there. I can't even imagine walking back carrying groceries! Again, no sidewalks. And the road leading up to my dd's former high school and the library is 50 mph with no sidewalks.

DH works 25 minutes away on busy roads. There's no way he can walk there either. But his office complex has a walking trail which is really nice. It's near lots of shopping and restaurants so he can walk to eat lunch. He has sidewalks I believe though. I'm assuming that he's not walking on the side of that busy road! He better not be!

And just as an aside, we have no public transportation in my county. You have to have a car to live here. I've never seen anyone walking except on the greenway which is a 15 minute drive on a 50 mph road. So if someone wants to exercise outside, they have to purposefully drive to a designated outdoor area for walking, running and biking.

Of course all of that is a moot point for me anyway. I absolutely hate to be outside in any weather. I walk on the treadmill so I can watch tv to make the time pass faster. It's a climate controlled environment too. Much better than being outside for me.

Oh don't apologize!  I am very pro exercise.  As I said upthread somewhere, I found the video to be motivational.  If I had my way, I would be doing cardio kickboxing and Zumba and running half marathons with my daughter.  But while for a while I did work myself up to doing Zumba and cardio kickboxing (but never the half marathons), by the end I was doing them with tears of pain rolling down my face and had to stop.  I've just added one day of Zumba back last week.  It took me four days to recover from that one hour but I think I will be there again this week.  I'm in this weird split between being depressed because it's so hard, being resigned to it being that way and yet stubbornly trying to keep hope anyway that I can be a healthy strong woman who can kick butt with the best of them. 

Well, I am in awe of you Jean!  I can't imagine how tough it is to keep pushing in those circumstances.  You are one strong lady!  I know that exercise helps with my chronic migraines, and yet on migraine days it is so hard for me to not just give in and be a lazy lump who sits on the couch all day feeling sorry for herself.  And while I have no idea what fibro feels like compared to migraines, I'm guessing it's worse!

I found the video to be motivational too.  I really liked it!

Jean- I'm sorry that you have to deal with that. I'm always so impressed with people who continue to work through the pain although I know the consequences of not are also pain. You have my respect.

Safe areas to walk has been a huge issue I would like to work on in my own city. Why are all public areas for roads? Why do you have to be wealthy enough to drive to safely go anywhere in a city? There is much tension between people who think public through ways should be for cars only and those who think through ways should be for people in general cars plus pedestrians plus bikers etc. Why huge amounts of tax payer money should go to only one group is beyond me.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2

Where I live, there are no sidewalks. 

That stinks.  I understand that a lot of smaller towns and rural areas don't have sidewalks.  What really amazed me, though, was how many areas in Dallas, TX don't have sidewalks.  WTH?  Really?  Yeah, it definitely makes walking more challenging, and more dangerous, when there aren't walkways designated for pedestrian use. 

I have to admit that even though I could walk more than I do, it's intimidating because of the traffic.  I live in the state that's #1 for pedestrian deaths:  https://www.abqjournal.com/785135/nm-no-1.html  But the article does say that most of these deaths occur at night (I don't walk at night), and most are due to the pedestrian either being intoxicated or jaywalking (or both), and that wouldn't be a factor for me either.  So maybe it's not as bad as I fear.

Our small city has been slowly putting in sidewalks to make it a more walkable city. And yet I see people walking on the road next to the sidewalk. :confused:

What is that about?? I see it all the time and it always confuses me.

15-30 min for everyday things. I don't mind walking an hour or so for some things (like to the local chocolate shop - walk 50 min there and experience no guilt when consuming :))

For example, the train station is 17 min walk, one grocery store is 15 min, the other is 20 min. My best friend's house is about 25 min. The place I tutor is 30 min. 

Sigh, it takes me that long just to drive to those places. 

SaveSave

Well, five minutes at 30mph is 2.5 miles, which would take a bit under an hour to walk at an average pace.  For me, a mile each way is easy walking distance, but I often do two miles each way too.  For example, it is two miles from my garage to my office, so I drop my car at the garage and walk to work, reversing at the end of the day.

ETA: when I was a child, my primary school was half a mile away and no one would have driven.

A lot of places in the US are not walker friendly.  There are walkers here (mostly those walking to the bus stop on the bus line), but crossing the street is a death wish (with winter being the worst).  Which is a major turn off to me.  Not to mention all the stopping to wait to cross the street would significantly add to the time to walk somewhere.

Nothing is within reasonable walking distance to me.  Ok, except McDonald's.  That's doable.  But ya know...that would negate my walk.  LOL

But yeah I think in many areas here they basically have made walking stupid and downright dangerous in some instances. 

Nice thing growing up is walking was built in.  I did have to walk a fairly decent distance, but it was all on side walks with crossing guards. 

• Like 1

What is that about?? I see it all the time and it always confuses me.

We walk in the street as necessary if the sidewalks are too icy to safely navigate. Our town plows all the sidewalks, but they can remain icier than the street especially if the snow banks are high enough to shade them from the sun (plus there's the freeze thaw cycle).

In better weather, runners often use the street because the surface is apparently softer than the concrete sidewalks. It is typical here that walkers and runners move against the flow of traffic to be more visible.

• Like 2

We walk in the street as necessary if the sidewalks are too icy to safely navigate. Our town plows all the sidewalks, but they can remain icier than the street especially if the snow banks are high enough to shade them from the sun (plus there's the freeze thaw cycle).

In better weather, runners often use the street because the surface is apparently softer than the concrete sidewalks. It is typical here that walkers and runners move against the flow of traffic to be more visible.

Wow! Where do cities plow the sidewalks? You don't have to answer, but I'm super impressed. My city doesn't even plow the streets when there is a foot of snow! And I have lived in the NE US where there was tons of snow and now sidewalks were ever plowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Our small city has been slowly putting in sidewalks to make it a more walkable city.  And yet I see people walking on the road next to the sidewalk.  :confused:

The street just outside my neighborhood has one designated lane for cars going in each direction, a designated bike lane in each direction, and a sidewalk on both sides.  And yet I still see people walking in the bike lane, or sometimes all the way out in the street!   :001_huh: This isn't rocket science, people!  (Snow and ice are virtually never an issue here, so they don't have that excuse.)

It's a local law that when a bike lane is present, cyclists must use it - not the street, and certainly not the sidewalk (they're not supposed to use the sidewalk even when a bike lane isn't present).  Kids will sometimes ride their bikes up on the sidewalk instead of in the bike lane, and I totally get that.  It gets them a little farther away from the cars.  And they're kids.  But then there's Angry Bike Bell Guy.  Grown man, probably in his 50's, rides his bike on the sidewalk, rings his bell continuously anytime he comes within 20 feet of a pedestrian, and glares at you like he's plotting to kill you in your sleep.  :lol: People are weird.  

Wow! Where do cities plow the sidewalks? You don't have to answer, but I'm super impressed. My city doesn't even plow the streets when there is a foot of snow! And I have lived in the NE US where there was tons of snow and now sidewalks were ever plowed.

We are in Maine.

I don't live within walking distance of anywhere, the closest store is about 15 mi away. My neighbor used to bike to work during the nice weather, which was especially impressive with the size of hills we have around here. There used to be a store around 6 mi away that dh and friends would bike to when he was a kid, I'm generally pretty lax but i wouldn't want my kids doing the same, the road that was a 2 lane is now a 4 lane. On the plus side, however, we are surrounded on 2 sides by National Forest land, we can walk out our door and hit a trail, explore the woods or walk down our (generally) low traffic paved road. 

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Hmm, overall I liked it, I thought they looked like they were having fun, and it made me think of some fun things I might like to do.

I'd have said it was directed more at all women or maybe especially people who are overweight, out of shape, older, or otherwise might lack confidence to do something.

That being said - the main barrier I have to organized exercise, or even unorganized, is not body image issues - it is getting time away from kids in the day.  Even the YMCA is a little dodgy for leaving four children in the day, and evenings are busy and I'm also really tired by then - early mornings would be my time but are my busiest work time really.

Really it drives me nuts, I can go to the public, free, rink, or public, free beaches, with my kids, but the rules are such that it is almost impossible for me to participate or even just watch the kids participate.  So I feel a little cynical lately about the public commitment to recreation.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 2

They plow the sidewalks in my city, too.

Actually, in the part of town my mom lives in it is controversial, they have only been doing it a few years.  Some people think the sidewalk plows do an inferior job.  People get really hot under the collar about it.  I'm for it though, I hate sidewalk shoveling.

• Like 2

Our small city has been slowly putting in sidewalks to make it a more walkable city.  And yet I see people walking on the road next to the sidewalk.  :confused:

Asphalt is softer, more giving than concrete. Not much, but enough that some people prefer to run or walk on it rather than the concrete sidewalks.  I see it all the time in my neighborhood, but it is quiet so walking in the street isn't particularly dangerous.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/should-i-run-on-asphalt-or-concrete

ETA: Whoops, MEMama already said it.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

What I find crazy is people walk in the street even when there is a perfectly walkable sidewalk.  And they cross wherever.  So that all just adds to the issues for pedestrians.  Probably it's a combo of them being used to drivers not following the laws and the pedestrians not following the laws.  So it's a hit or miss (literally) as a walker.   And it IS particularly dangerous to walk in the street here.