Menu

Great campaign to get women exercising

Laura Corin

There seems to be some evidence - I don't know how robust it is:

https://www.sportengland.org/news-and-features/news/2016/january/12/thisgirlcanbirthday/

Interesting. And surprising. It's more typical that people who really should exercise don't even start when their doctors tell them that their lack of activity is contributing to their condition. Not sure how a few seconds of a feel good video can be more effective than knowing that it is the healthy thing to do. But if it works, then that's nice.

• Like 1

Interesting. And surprising. It's more typical that people who really should exercise don't even start when their doctors tell them that their lack of activity is contributing to their condition. Not sure how a few seconds of a feel good video can be more effective than knowing that it is the healthy thing to do. But if it works, then that's nice.

It's part of a whole campaign trying to overcome the things that seem to hold women back from exercising (different from those that affect men) - not wanting to sweat, look 'ugly', feel stupid, wobble...  So the campaign included a lot of testimony from average wobbly people.

• Like 9

I've never had a doctor tell me that.  I don't know if doctors have given up, but my doctor just pushed pills.  I told her no thanks.

It's part of a whole campaign trying to overcome the things that seem to hold women back from exercising (different from those that affect men) - not wanting to sweat, look 'ugly', feel stupid, wobble...  So the campaign included a lot of testimony from average wobbly people.

I did like the part about the fact they had regular looking women.

I have never met a woman who was too afraid to sweat or look a certain way while exercising.  Women in general really worry about this?  I don't know.

That said, I won't join group anything because I beyond look stupid.  I can't follow along.  Which is fine.  There are plenty of options where I don't need to worry.

My biggest causes of not exercise were laziness and being bored with exercise.

• Like 4

I have never met a woman who was too afraid to sweat or look a certain way while exercising.  Women in general really worry about this?  I don't know.

It comes up a lot in surveys, apparently.  Particularly these days when young people fear being caught in photographs that then get posted online.

ETA: This talks more generally about 'fear of being judged':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11198758/Sport-England-Women-dont-exercise-for-fear-of-being-judged.html

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Interesting. I must run in different circles and not know these women.

It is my impression that among the young and beautiful people, exercising is seen as attractive. Most of my female college students - perhaps surprisingly especially the ones who clearly pay attention to their looks - do some kind of sport, many as competetive athletes. But OK, they're not "wobbly" - they look incredibly fit :)

I found it very interesting that among rock climbers the proportion of females has dramatically increased compared to when I was young. Back then, if a girl climbed, they most likely climbed because their boyfriend did. Now, I see many entirely female groups and girls climbing with other girls.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

It is my impression that among the young and beautiful people, exercising is seen as attractive. Most of my female college students - perhaps surprisingly especially the ones who clearly pay attention to their looks - do some kind of sport, many as competetive athletes. But OK, they're not "wobbly" - they look incredibly fit :)

Yeah that seems like a dated idea to me.  That someone would consider it unattractive. 

On the topic of women exercising: it seems to be quite a shift even among middle age women. Many of my female colleagues and friends are incredibly active. A 50+ formerly obese friend is now riding 100 mile bike races. I just talked to a lady (I'd estimate about late 30s, maybe 40 y/o) the other night who told me about competing in a 340 mile kayaking race (took her 63 hours and paddling through two nights). 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Yeah that seems like a dated idea to me.  That someone would consider it unattractive. 

Gosh, the girls look fantastic when they come in for help sessions in their running gear after their workout ;)

And rock climbing is totally attractive; anybody looks good doing it.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Oh, I like that. 

There is a deeply imbedded psychological weakness in how women have been viewed, and viewed ourselves - the idea that we are weaker, prone to decline, frail; the idea that we have to be pretty because we aren't strong and need men to rescue us and treasure us for our beauty.  It made us into prey.

That idea is SO over.  It has got to go.  Anything at all that moves us toward strength, even advertising, I will take.

Also, isn't that Maya Angelou's voice?  I love her voice.  :) 

• Like 8

This is it, I think.  Fit person exercising = attractive. Wobbly unfit red-faced person exercising = ugly and embarrassing.  Brits have a low tolerance for embarrassment in general, compared to some other nations, I believe.

• Like 7

Maybe there is more to this campaign that would make this video seem more interesting, but as it is, I don't find anything particularly motivational about it. Honestly, I was getting bored with it after the first 30 seconds or so.

I don't see why it would motivate women to exercise. It wouldn't motivate me to do anything but click away to a different channel.

• Like 3

I don't think we're the demographic!

It wouldn't have motivated me either as a teen, though I had complicating factors (perfectionism, social anxiety and a ballet injury don't work well to promote 'having a great time moving and getting strong').

I think the demographic is supposed to be all girls and all women.

I think it misses the mark entirely, though, because watching a minute and a half of random clips of girls and women playing sports, jumping around, or just moving in general is just... a bunch of random clips. I can't imagine that I would have been motivated by it at any age, even when I was teaching fitness classes.

• Like 3

I really believe that there is a cultural difference between women exercising in the UK and in North America. Maybe things are changing, and hopefully they are, but a friend of mind from the UK told me (about 15 years ago) that women in the UK don't jog around the neighbourhood to exercise, they walk over to the fridge and open it. Exercising in public just wasn't part of the culture for women. Personally, I don't know. I know Canadian exercise culture, and here a video like this would hopefully be inspiring. I'm sure Laura and others from the UK have a much better handle on it. I just wanted to point out that this is obviously a UK program. I'd love to see it be really, really successful.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

Maybe, but there are older women in the video, too, and it ends with the older lady in the swimsuit, so that's why I was thinking it was for all girls and women.

Yeah oddly that is not what stood out to me.

My thought was...no way would I play something involving being jumped on.  LOL

That's where my mind goes I guess. 

I could see this being helpful if I participated in sports in public.

Complete honesty - I live on a dead end road followed by logging roads and trails. I often walk until I get out of my neigborhood because I don't like how I look when I run. It might be silly and shallow, but I feel ridiculous when people see me. I don't mind being sweaty or dirty, but red faced and jiggly bothers me.

• Like 2

I really believe that there is a cultural difference between women exercising in the UK and in North America. Maybe things are changing, and hopefully they are, but a friend of mind from the UK told me (about 15 years ago) that women in the UK don't jog around the neighbourhood to exercise, they walk over to the fridge and open it. Exercising in public just wasn't part of the culture for women. Personally, I don't know. I know Canadian exercise culture, and here a video like this would hopefully be inspiring. I'm sure Laura and others from the UK have a much better handle on it. I just wanted to point out that this is obviously a UK program. I'd love to see it be really, really successful.

Oh that's interesting.

I see women exercising all the time.  And I don't go looking for it.  So...

I mean granted, plenty of people don't exercise (men and women), but there is no absence of women exercising in public places.

• Like 4

That said, I won't join group anything because I beyond look stupid.  I can't follow along.  Which is fine.  There are plenty of options where I don't need to worry.

I have read many women, all American, on forums like these stating they hate sweating. That's the #1 reason they will not exercise. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I have read many women, all American, on forums like there stating they hate sweating. That's the #1 reason they will not exercise. 

Huh...have not encountered that.

I prefer climate controlled exercising.  Meaning nope I'm not going to go for a jog outside when it's 90.  It's not about hating to sweat though. 

• Like 2

Huh...have not encountered that.

I prefer climate controlled exercising.  Meaning nope I'm not going to go for a jog outside when it's 90.  It's not about hating to sweat though. 

Yes, on this forum as recently as a couple weeks ago. I suggested she try swimming, as the sweating isn't as obvious. I mean, what else can you say to someone who is going to sweat anyway because they live in a hot climate? I think you were bang on with people being lazy and not wanting to put in the effort. Taking pills is a much simpler, though futile, road to take.

• Like 1

That is one thing.  I don't know of many recreational sports leagues for women.  Looking through Meetup there are some sporty groups that get together to run, etc.  I know of one recreational volley ball league at the adult ed for women.  Other than that, nope..don't know of any. 

Tennis, soccer, running, golf, masters swimming, martial arts, triathlon and badminton just in my local area that I can think of at the moment. I'm sure that there are a LOT more. Softball and Ultimate are coed, and often require women on the team, so there is always a need for women.

I actually don't think people are lazy. I think some people have a lot of barriers between them and exercise, and some have a lot fewer. 

The person with fewer barriers might look more responsible, but who knows how they'd fare once you put a few more roadblocks in their way ?

For example, I walk daily. Is that because I'm 'not lazy' ? Or is it because I have access to good public transport, and to a well maintained, safe, free council walking track 10 minutes from my house ?

I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

It has gotten easier for me since I no longer need child care.  When my first was born I was a member of a gym that included 2 hours of child care.  It was not cheap.  But anyhow, they would call me in the middle of what I was doing every 10 minutes.  They wouldn't change diapers.  If the kid was fussing or crying they called.  So after awhile I gave up.  That was too frustrating.  And then when we moved there was no family nearby.  And I couldn't afford to hire someone AND pay for a gym membership.  I mean sure I suppose I could have exercised in my house, but I just didn't.  Hard to stay motivated doing that.  At least with the gym I go there and once there I figure nothing else to do! 

And that's just going to a gym where it doesn't matter if I show up at X time.  If I were playing on some sort of team, etc.  That would have been extra challenging. 

• Like 1

It has gotten easier for me since I no longer need child care.  When my first was born I was a member of a gym that included 2 hours of child care.  It was not cheap.  But anyhow, they would call me in the middle of what I was doing every 10 minutes.  They wouldn't change diapers.  If the kid was fussing or crying they called.  So after awhile I gave up.  That was too frustrating.  And then when we moved there was no family nearby.  And I couldn't afford to hire someone AND pay for a gym membership.  I mean sure I suppose I could have exercised in my house, but I just didn't.  Hard to stay motivated doing that.  At least with the gym I go there and once there I figure nothing else to do! 

And that's just going to a gym where it doesn't matter if I show up at X time.  If I were playing on some sort of team, etc.  That would have been extra challenging. 

You can of course include children and exercise as a family. A baby in a carrier is a great extra weight. And one can exercise without a gym. 

• Like 1

You can of course include children and exercise as a family. A baby in a carrier is a great extra weight. And one can exercise without a gym. 

I couldn't carry a baby in a carrier because I had back problems. 

Except for walking, there really was nothing else that would work and that's not possible on many days due to the weather.  We did do some walking.  Walked around the mall.  Walked when it was nice.  But it was still limited.

And really, my DH isn't into anything but maybe walking.  He walks way faster than me and then I find walking with him irritating.

Well and baby....my first kid had colic and did nothing but scream for 9 months.  So taking him anywhere was challenging anyway. 

• Like 1

Complete honesty - I live on a dead end road followed by logging roads and trails. I often walk until I get out of my neigborhood because I don't like how I look when I run. It might be silly and shallow, but I feel ridiculous when people see me. I don't mind being sweaty or dirty, but red faced and jiggly bothers me.

Not to mention being harassed when you are out running (or walking). "You're going to have to run faster!" "Run fatty, run!" Etc. Yelled at you from the car as they drive by. I know I'm not the only one.

So many mental barriers (and cultural barriers and financial barriers and emotional barriers) to getting out there and being active at any size or age. Way back before I even tried running, I spent a lot of time looking online - what clothes would I wear? How would they fit? Do they make running clothes in my size? What if people judge me or heckle me or harass me? What if I look like a fool? Will the running store be able to help me or will they laugh me out of the store for asking about running gear? What if I sign up for this race and come in last? Will anyone believe me if I say I'm a runner?

When I started, I would avoid busy roads because then I wouldn't be embarrassed to run where all those people could see me and I figured that way the heckling/harassing would be less likely to occur. Now, I have more confidence to take up space and be active with mybody, but I'll still avoid some places unless I'm running with dh because no one heckles me when he's around.

imo, being able to be active without ever giving that a thought, believing that of course you can do this thing you'd like to do, and that it's ok for you to do so reflects a certain level of privilege. Those people don't need this ad campaign. People like me then (and sometimes even now) absolutely do.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 3

I actually don't think people are lazy. I think some people have a lot of barriers between them and exercise, and some have a lot fewer. 

The person with fewer barriers might look more responsible, but who knows how they'd fare once you put a few more roadblocks in their way ?

For example, I walk daily. Is that because I'm 'not lazy' ? Or is it because I have access to good public transport, and to a well maintained, safe, free council walking track 10 minutes from my house ?

Well, people are actually pretty lazy, but yes, there are a lot of factors involved and the issue goes a lot deeper and wider than simply being lazy. The study of motivation to physical activity and health indicators is complex. 

I found it very interesting that among rock climbers the proportion of females has dramatically increased compared to when I was young. Back then, if a girl climbed, they most likely climbed because their boyfriend did. Now, I see many entirely female groups and girls climbing with other girls.

Yes, in your circle of female college students in the US, they are continuing to benefit from Title IX from 1972, where female education and sport at the college level received equal federal funding as males. Many countries in the world do not have this policy, or if they do it may not have been for as far back as that. Not only did the equality of funding effect female college sports, but it had a positive impact on research and development around many aspects of females and physical activity. 

• Like 3

Women with children often list lack of time as the biggest barrier the exercise.  For me, that is the case.  I like to walk but in the winter, DH gets usually gets home after dark and it is so cold and there are errands to run and stuff to do.  In the summer it can be too hot and sunny.  I think it's best in spring and fall.

I feel weird about exercise classes.  First of all, I find them too strenuous.  If you want the general public to move then give them exercise classes that are much more moderate.  It is better than being sedentary.  Secondly, I usually hate the music.  I prefer melodic music.  It motivates me more than BANG, BANG, BANG music.  Third, I feel so dumb every time I make a mistake.  Finally I feel really uncomfortable about exercise clothes.  Like I might come to class wearing blue leggings and a pink top and all the other women will be wearing identical black shorts and a blue top and they might stare at me and think "Eww, who is she?" and I will want to run and hide.  I know how immature this is and silly on my part to have this thought but I still have thoughts like this.  And then I would sweat and have to shower a second time which would take more time and make my skin dry.  And then, why pay money for all these hassles?

I would rather dance freestyle to pop music at a smoke-free dance club wearing jeans or a flowy dress but I don't know of any dance clubs, and could I go alone?  Would everyone twenty years old?  probably.  I end up dancing in my kitchen.  My kids like it.

Why does exercise have to be so athletic and competitive?  Is there no middle ground between aggressive athleticism and being completely sedentary?

• Like 4

Women with children often list lack of time as the biggest barrier the exercise.  For me, that is the case.  I like to walk but in the winter, DH gets usually gets home after dark and it is so cold and there are errands to run and stuff to do.  In the summer it can be too hot and sunny.  I think it's best in spring and fall.

I feel weird about exercise classes.  First of all, I find them too strenuous.  If you want the general public to move then give them exercise classes that are much more moderate.  It is better than being sedentary.  Secondly, I usually hate the music.  I prefer melodic music.  It motivates me more than BANG, BANG, BANG music.  Third, I feel so dumb every time I make a mistake.  Finally I feel really uncomfortable about exercise clothes.  Like I might come to class wearing blue leggings and a pink top and all the other women will be wearing identical black shorts and a blue top and they might stare at me and think "Eww, who is she?" and I will want to run and hide.  I know how immature this is and silly on my part to have this thought but I still have thoughts like this.  And then I would sweat and have to shower a second time which would take more time and make my skin dry.  And then, why pay money for all these hassles?

I would rather dance freestyle to pop music at a smoke-free dance club wearing jeans or a flowy dress but I don't know of any dance clubs, and could I go alone?  Would everyone twenty years old?  probably.  I end up dancing in my kitchen.  My kids like it.

Why does exercise have to be so athletic and competitive?  Is there no middle ground between aggressive athleticism and being completely sedentary?

Well, I may not be completely helpful, because my choice of exercise is martial arts - aggressive, huh?  But I hear you!  It can be a significant sacrifice on my DH's part for me to get to do karate two or three nights a week.  When he's not around due to work, I have to drag the kids along, and I reserve electronics for that one time, so they'll have something enthralling to do during my classes.  However, I've found an athletic activity that delights me, so I think it is worth it. 

I couldn't do martial arts when I had babies.  I was in a class when I got pregnant, and quit for safety.  Then I started back after I had Dd.  One night, I was sitting down with a clipboard, really struggling with the schedule (I was doing a few other things, too) and realized that I could either keep going to karate or make time to start feeding Dd her first foods!  I quit karate for a long time.  I did a bunch of workout videos at home.  It's much better now that DS is 5. 

About the classes, I know, right?!  Nobody is EVER going to get to photograph me doing Zumba.  That's just too hilarious!

• Like 2

I found the video inspiring. I'm Laura's age but American. I found myself thinking "if they can do it, so can I..". Though in my case it is also a bit depressing because I am working as hard as I can to not get more disabled and I often feel like at the best I'm treading water. But seeing ordinary women ,especially ones who are my age or older, be successful gives me some hope at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I don't know that the commercial is helpful or not. For many that need exercise getting to where those women were probably seems impossible. To a 50 year old woman in need of losing 60 lbs is that video encouraging or defeating? 

I think community is incredibly helpful. Having friends to go for a walk with or plan healthy meals or trading kids. I'll play with the kids on the playground while you jog and next time we'll switch. Having people encourage you and have respect for your getting out there rather than the nasty comments mentioned above. Yikes!  Wish I could get a hold of those jerks.

Having kids is tough but it is doable. I'd clean house double time. Honestly, scrubbing and running up and the down the stairs instead of walking IS exercise but it won't make you look like the people in the video. Push-ups, crunches, exercise videos, dancing with your baby (they love that), jumping jacks, etc are all doable and once they are able (about 2 years old) they will start copying you.   We could never afford the gym until this year and it is a stretch. I'm trying to take the kids swimming as much as possible while we are members and hoping they learn before our contract is up because there is no way I'm paying again but why, why do you have to go to a gym? Honestly, that seems the most boring way to exercise ever although I realize many live in places they can't just hike, bike, ski, outside their door. But even the living room sounds better than the gym. 

Now health issues do make things hard. My heart goes out to those with issues that keep them from moving or are in constant pain if they do. That is an extra dose of toughness there. 

Having sidewalks instead of snow piled up from being plowed off the road so they have to drive everywhere. Not having open spaces in a city.  Unsafe areas where you feel like you must be inside with the door locked. These are also difficulties and not really one that can be solved by a commercial. 

Edited by frogger

I have read many women, all American, on forums like these stating they hate sweating. That's the #1 reason they will not exercise.

I've heard this a lot, too, both face to face and online. I don't exactly enjoy sweating by any means, but I don't understand why it's that much of a barrier. It's not that awful. A shower makes it like it never happened. :)

• Like 2

Yes, I don't like exercise because it is hard and boring.

The only way for me to regularly exercise is to have an actual need to do the physical activity. 

• Like 2

For me, I would just rather sit and read a book than walk somewhere.  If there is nowhere to go - that is, if the walking is artificial instead of purposeful - I feel stupid and am unmotivated.  

• Like 1