Menu

Amazon or Target or?

ktgrok

If you were having a baby shower (that you really hadn't planned o having) because some people insist o having it, where would you register. You don't need big stuff (except a nursing pillow....still need that) but just receiving blankets, onesies, etc...oh and you are dying for that cute flower foam bath thing that fits in the sink but totally willing and able to just buy it yourself....and your friends are very tech savvy which would you do? Some of these people are not parents themselves, and really probably don't want to go to a baby store. And we cloth diaper, (use some disposables at night when they are bigger) and already have all that stuff. 

Just do Amazon? Or Target since if they procrastinate (also possible, lol) they can grab something local?

Probably register with Target since they might already be in the store and think "Oh, I need to grab something for that babyshower..."  And Target stuff can also be ordered on-line for those that prefer it.   Plus, if they needed to grab it at the last minute they could.  That would be harder with Amazon.

FWIW, I have local friends that rarely if ever order on-line for local gift giving.  They prefer to go look at it and pick it out in person themselves.  

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

I'd do Target probably. But I'd probably say something like, "We registered for a few things, but also, diapers are always welcome." Or if you don't want diapers, maybe, "We registered for a few things, but since this is not the first baby, just a few sweet little things to be his/her own would be nice."

I would do both. I know a few older people who would be overwhelmed and horrified at the idea of buying something online, but I personally would prefer buying something from Amazon. I've become very lazy about actually going *out* to shop.  :)

ETA: Someone I know used babylist.com for a sort of universal registry. I think you can use it to put things from different stores (even places like Etsy) all on one list. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

I would NOT do a baby registry at Target. They are a huge pain about returns off the baby registry -- you can only buy something in the same department (And that could be something like baby equipment -- not take back a bottle warmer and get clothes or something!) 

I'd do Amazon and Babies R Us (SOme of their stuff is available at a Toys R Us) or Buy Buy Baby for local

• Like 2

I'd  do both.   amazon has more choices.  target online has more choices than in the store - but many people go last minute.  who knows if it's in stock in the store or not.

suggest to the hostess that you're open to a group gift. people can put in their money to one larger item.  

If you were having a baby shower (that you really hadn't planned o having) because some people insist o having it, where would you register. You don't need big stuff (except a nursing pillow....still need that) but just receiving blankets, onesies, etc...oh and you are dying for that cute flower foam bath thing that fits in the sink but totally willing and able to just buy it yourself....and your friends are very tech savvy which would you do? Some of these people are not parents themselves, and really probably don't want to go to a baby store. And we cloth diaper, (use some disposables at night when they are bigger) and already have all that stuff. 

Just do Amazon? Or Target since if they procrastinate (also possible, lol) they can grab something local?

I have never registered. 

If they were just insistent, I would do Amazon. 

Amazon AND Target. And don't forget the freebie gift bags for registering at Target. And Amazon does a very nice registry gift box once you get a certain amount purchased off the registry. 

Amazon is very nice because you can put ANYTHING on a baby registry. That includes things like books/movies to keep the olders busy, audiobooks for you, prime gift subscriptions etc. 

• Like 1

Amazon and buy buy baby if you have one! Idk why I like buy buy baby. I hate babies r us, not a huge fan of target, never even had a shower, so what do I know? :p

Even if people have never shopped Amazon, it's pretty convenient and easy to buy something off of that list.

I don't know the special jargon but there's some amazon button you download that will link anything to your wish list. So you could have an Amazon wish list that linked Target items, etc. Just an idea.

You could do two registries. I can't remember if that's weird lol

Might wanna ask yourself where you do you shop more? They might give you a gift card.

There are a couple issues with Amazon. One, if they aren't a prime member the shipping is a pain. Two, if you need to return it, they might not have included a gift receipt so then what?

Can't you just put the word out on what you need and let people decide where they get it?

Back in the dark ages, when we had baby showers, someone would get a list out saying something like "Mary needs blankets, nursing pillow...and would perhaps appreciate...

Babies born prior to internet and registration were still dressed and had blankets. :lol:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

Can't you just put the word out on what you need and let people decide where they get it?

Back in the dark ages, when we had baby showers, someone would get a list out saying something like "Mary needs blankets, nursing pillow...and would perhaps appreciate...

Babies born prior to internet and registration were still dressed and had blankets. :lol:

:lol:

There might be less overlap if people can see what others have already purchased. Of course I'm no help, someone put out a wish list on Babies R Us and I bought it on Amazon because it was overpriced on BRU.

And you can link specific items you want (she wants the flower bath thing vs a hard shell tub).

I think it'll work out either way, though.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

How about just not registering anywhere.  

I went to a baby shower recently for a family who has two older children, and are now expecting a new little baby.  The hostess just asked people to bring their favorite children's book as a gift.  They received many beautiful books (many they had never heard of). They also received a few lovely gifts that weren't books (many were homemade).  They received a few little outfits and a couple gadgets.  But, mostly, they received a library of wonderful books for their little girl to love as she grows up.  And, since books come in all price ranges, and are readily available everywhere, no special trips need to be made to certain stores, and pre-ordering isn't necessary.  

• Like 3

LOL, this is the 4th kid....I am stocked on diapers :) I have prefolds that my 17 year old used that are still going strong, plus all the ones I've added since then. 

Maybe you'd like to ask them for a "meal shower"?  This is tradition in  our church with moms who already have children.   They usually register for just a few things they'd like to have, but  the focus of the gifting is freezer meals. 

How sweet of your friends! My kids are almost 10 years apart, so we had that same kind of sentiment. It's really sweet! 

Since your friends really want to do it, you could go a different direction and do a food shower. They could bring prepared, frozen meals for you to stock up. Me, that's what I'd want. Months and months of no cooking, lol. I really like the books idea too, though people don't do that. Some people gave us Olive Garden gift cards, and that was so lovely! Even if they wanted to get together and actually do a month worth of recipes to freeze, that could be a really fun party.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Yes and no. The person coordinating the shower isn't close at all with the people that will be invited, so not someone they'd just chat with. And I would rather not end up with all 3m size onesies and nothing else, lol. Plus some people like a registry. I don't care if we get things not on there not at all! I just figured I'd do it for the conveince of those that want it. Plus, I know at Target you get a discount once the baby comes on things you didn't buy, I think? Or was that for a wedding registry? Or another store?

• Like 1

Maybe you'd like to ask them for a "meal shower"?  This is tradition in  our church with moms who already have children.   They usually register for just a few things they'd like to have, but  the focus of the gifting is freezer meals. 

Man I'd LOVE this, but some people are coming from hours away so would be harder to transport, and the local ones...several don't cook really at all. But the ones that do are likely to drop by with a meal after the baby is born...we all do that for each other. 

Yes and no. The person coordinating the shower isn't close at all with the people that will be invited, so not someone they'd just chat with. And I would rather not end up with all 3m size onesies and nothing else, lol. Plus some people like a registry. I don't care if we get things not on there not at all! I just figured I'd do it for the conveince of those that want it. Plus, I know at Target you get a discount once the baby comes on things you didn't buy, I think? Or was that for a wedding registry? Or another store?

I'm thinking they do it for both wedding and baby registries.