Menu

What kind of snow boots are you kids wearing this year?

mommyoffive

I need to outfit a few of the kids this year.  Apparently we are having an early winter.  I should have done this a week or two ago. 

What brands are good? 

I see a lot of Bogs around.  Are those good snow boots?

Does anyone just grab some at Walmart or Target?  Are those pretty good?

Any good deals on some?

Depends on the weather - if you tend toward colder (below 10) and dry I'd recommend some real snow boots like the Kamiks or Sorels, but if you tend to be a winter mix of snow and slush I'd say the Bogs are far superior.

I don't buy snow shoes new. My kids only wear them a few months out of the year and then just occasionally. I've never had a problem buying boots in great condition at thrift stores or Craigslist! I get more for my money, too, and find really warm, waterproof brands.

ETA: We get snow, but it melts a few days later, except on the mountain.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I just got these for my boys. http://www.target.com/p/boys-winston-premium-winter-boots-assorted-colors/-/A-51190110

We don't usually get a ton of snow, although we've had 2 huge storms in their lifetime. Hopefully these will work. Their last boots did not have laces and they kept coming off. When they are done growing, I will invest in some good L.L. beans or something.

• Like 1

Bean boots.

He's out of the "playing in the snow" stage though. More often than not he'll be in ski boots once we get enough snow. :)

Bogs were good when he was younger, though they were hard to dry out. The best for him were LL Bean snow boots with removable liners. One pair of liners could be drying in front of the stove while the other was in use.

Lands End for my girls. Unfortunately, ds has big feet so he isn't able to wear the Lands End ones anymore. We got him a pair at Farm & Fleet. No idea what brand they are, though. I think they have a removable liner.

I really like the Lands End boots for kids. They're easy to get on and keep their feet dry and warm.

Has everyone had a good experience with the Walmart kind?  That is the only thing close to me. 

It gets cold, but really I don't let them play outside unless it is 20 or so. 

Do Bogs even keep the snow out?  I mean they can't be pulled tight at the top.

My son's Walmart boots are rated for -5 degrees, it rarely dips into the single (positive) digits here.  For an hour or so of outdoor play at 10-40 degrees they are perfect.    I wear a pair of my son's outgrown boots when shoveling snow.  My feet stay warm and dry.     

• Like 1

For really cold with snow we like Kamik or Sorel.  For wetter conditions, Bogs.  Bogs are open and loose at the top, so though some are cold rated they don't seem as warm as the lacing ones with the fuzzy insides to me and aren't as great for playing in the snow unless you're sure the snow pants will work with them (pull over or stuff in well enough to fill the void). 

My warmest boots are my Uggs, but those aren't really meant for playing in the snow, shoveling, etc.  But are great for running errands and day to day use. 

• Like 1

We live in AK. My kids are mostly in bogs. I have some bogs too and my feet do get cold after a while around 0 but my kids never complain. The bogs are so nice for us because they wear them year round here (Puddles are freezing cold, even in summer!). We have some kamik's too which are definitely better quality snow, boots, but they are not so good for spring time slush or freezing puddles.

Bogs can be purchased in higher sides and without handle-holes so they are pretty tall and don't let snow in unless you are knee deep and didn't bother putting your pants over top :) 

Honestly as long as your kids' feet stay dry and you are not taking extended hikes below 10 degrees,  pretty much any boots should be fine. Remember, "If your feet are cold, put on a hat" .. it is so true!

Has everyone had a good experience with the Walmart kind?  That is the only thing close to me. 

It gets cold, but really I don't let them play outside unless it is 20 or so. 

Do Bogs even keep the snow out?  I mean they can't be pulled tight at the top.

My boys have wore the WalMart ones (post link earlier) and they work great.  When they outgrow we pass them down to the neighbor boys.

And before they hit men size they still wore the kids boots from WM that look like those.

Edited by Baseball mom