Menu

Instant Pot is on sale again! $68 today only (7 in1)

ktgrok

I ordered myself one this morning with Amazon gift cards I got for my bday in July. When I got them I knew exactly what I was spending them on but knew I'd like have to wait until black friday to get it for a price I wanted to pay. Great timing since our Crock-Pot broke recently

• Like 2

Thanks ktgrok!.

I can purchase the 6in1 locally & I like that option for the ease of returning it in case I have any issues with it.

So I am trying to decide if there are features on the 7in1 that make it better??

The main differences between the two are that the 7-in-1 has a yogurt making (or bread dough proofing) setting, it has a low pressure option (the 6-in-1 is all high-pressure), and it has some sort of seat or notch in the handle of the main unit that you can hook the lid into as a stand.

I have the 6-in-1, and I've never needed low pressure for anything, and I've never found it a problem to put my lid somewhere else. That said, I did buy myself a 7-in-1 today because I do really want the yogurt feature, and because I can see enough use for a second IP that it was worth the money to me. 

If you won't use it to make yogurt or bread, then I'd go with the local one if you really feel that strongly about returns. However, also know that IP customer service is fantastic, and they're extremely responsive about issues with the units. They're even known to replace units that failed due to obvious (and admitted) user error. I personally think you'd be safe buying from Amazon, since the vast majority of us are and have been satisfied, but you need to do what makes you comfortable :D

HTH!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

I bought one!

I currently use a Fagor PC, but and going to make that one my backup/extra cooker and use the IP as my main one.

So excited!

This is exactly what I'm doing, as well. I've been pressure cooking for as long as I've been cooking (15 years?) but the fagor is all taken up with the bone broth and I need another source of pressure to cook with.
  • Like 1

ILiveinFlipFlops,

Thank you for the detailed response it was very helpful.

It is great to know IP has such great customer service.

There appears to be a style difference on the lid handle between

the 6 and the 7. Have you been happy with the handle on your 6?

I'm sorry I didn't see this yesterday! For some reason I wasn't getting notifications for this thread.

I have no problems at all with my 6-in-1. If I didn't want the yogurt feature (and a second pot anyway) I wouldn't have bought the 7-in-1. It's really been completely fine--works great, features are easy to use, etc. 

I hope you got one!

Speaking of which, anyone have a favorite cook book I could gift to my mom, to go with it? The kids could give her the cookbook. Lower carb preferably. 

My husband just ordered one locally (6 in 1--he doesn't think we'd actually do much yogurt) and would also love suggestions for a good cookbook or two to go with it, general and lower carb. I'd like to be able to put a cookbook in my wishlist, since I always have a hard time coming up with suggestions for gifts for me from my in-laws.

I'm pretty sure my parents ordered one for me yesterday!  My dad called and asked "hypothetically" if there were any accessories that one would want if they received one for Christmas.  I told him the glass lid.

There are accessories? Do tell, please!  

ETA: I think we are getting a LUX60-ENW with mini-mitts

Edited by KarenNC

I can't personally vouch for any of these cookbooks, but these seem to be the ones most referenced, or are written by the bloggers who are most relied upon in the groups I'm in. I'm not sure how they rank in terms of being paleo or vegan or anything like that.

https://www.amazon.com/Hip-Pressure-Cooking-Fresh-Flavorful/dp/1250026377/

https://www.amazon.com/Presents-Wardens-Ultimate-Pressure-Recipes/dp/1934193798/

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Electric-Pressure-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/1623156122/

This one is vegan, and she has several others as well as a blog:

https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Under-Pressure-Perfect-Cooker/dp/0544464028/

There are accessories? Do tell, please!

Oh, you'll be sorry! I'll link a bunch, give me a minute :D

ETA: 

No, there is too much. Let me sum up...

Many people like Fat Daddio's pans for making cheesecake or things like banana bread--springform, push-up bottom, cake pan, ring mold pan, etc. Ideally, you need a 7-inch or smaller. 8-inch will fit, but it will be tight and you'll have a hard time getting it out. 

You may also want a colander that will fit. Many people find one with a 7-inch circumference and then carefully remove the handles, but there are some that don't have handles. It's kind of a matter of price and what you prefer.

You'll definitely want a steamer basket. I think most people like the metal kind, but some like a silicone steamer basket. I've seen people say that they silicone ones aren't as sturdy and things like hard boiled eggs roll off. I have one I bought from another pressure cooker company (I think Fagor) through their web site, and I like it a lot. It's not collapsible, and it doesn't have big dimples in the bottom that can collect excess liquid. I think it cost me about $13. The worst part was waiting for shipping :lol:

Some people buy silicone egg cups to make things like poached eggs, but i just use my ramekins. If you think you'll be making things in the cake pans, you can buy a turkey/poultry lifter, like this (but not so expensive!), or some people buy these instead (cheaper). You put them in under the pan so that when your food is done, you can pick the whole thing up by the silicone handles. 

Then there's the glass lid (not necessary, and you may have a lid at home already that will fit it), which you may want if you're going to use the IP as a slow cooker, or if you're cooking with the SautĂƒÂ© feature or making popcorn or yogurt or storing your inner pot in the fridge with leftovers or something. 

And you may want to get a backup silicone ring or two. They do pick up odors, and some people say that they can taste the odor of, say, curry when they eat their yogurt made with the same ring, so they have a "sweet" ring and a "savory" ring. There are ways to decrease the smell (leave in the sun, bury in baking soda, etc.), but I've found it helpful to have a backup anyway. 

I think that's it! If I remember anything else, I'll add to this :D

• Like 3

Oh, and one thing I like to do is mix uncooked ingredients together in a round container and then freeze it. When the time comes to cook it, you can thaw the container a little bit or run it under hot water, pop out the frozen block into the IP, heat it on saute for 5 minutes or so, and then cook on high pressure for however long the recipe calls for (plus maybe 7-10 more minutes). Sometimes there will be ingredients that you need to add at the end, so I just note those on my container and do that. For example, I make a honey bourbon chicken, so I just mix the whole sauce together, drop in the chicken thighs, and freeze the whole thing. After it's done cooking, I pull out the chicken to shred a bit, put the IP on saute, make the cornstarch slurry and add it, and let that cook for a few minutes while I shred the chicken. Add the chicken back and serve it all over broccoli and brown rice :D

I've never done well with freezer cooking before because of all the plastic bags, and because it seemed like a lot of things needed to precooked and then cooked again, which never tastes very good to me. This raw ingredients freeze-and-dump method works well for me though!

These containers fit the bill perfectly. The food fits right into the IP, and actually, unless they're full to the top, two frozen circles will fit into the IP nicely, with room on the sides from the food to settle into as it thaws. I don't love using plastic, but there are few alternatives for this, so I just hand wash the containers and deal. Food frozen in 7-cup round Pyrexes will also fit, but the thawing is tricker because of the glass, and they don't hold as much. I'm still keeping an eye out for them at thrift stores though!

This is a great resource for recipes that will work with this. There are several in my freezer right now :lol:

• Like 3

The immersion circulator is for cooking sous vide, and really isn't a accessory of the Instant Pot, although it is made by them. 

One can also cook sous vide with the Bluetooth IP, since it is programmable to specific temperatures. If sous vide were a "must have" capability for you, it might be cheaper to buy the Bluetooth IP than both an IP and the immersion cooker.  (Also, and this is probably stating the obvious, the immersion cooker cannot be used inside an Instant Pot under pressure.)

I Live in Flip Flops posted a link to a recipe site, but the link won't click for me.  Here is the site she linked, in case anyone else is having the same difficulty: 

https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/recipe-roundups/50-instant-pot-freezer-meals/

ETA:  if refreshed and shows up now in her post.    Thank you, ILiFF!  :hurray:

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1

I Live in Flip Flops posted a link to a recipe site, but the link won't click for me.  Here is the site she linked, in case anyone else is having the same difficulty: 

https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/recipe-roundups/50-instant-pot-freezer-meals/

ETA:  if refreshed and shows up now in her post.    Thank you, ILiFF!  :hurray:

You're welcome! I can't take credit for it--someone on the FB IP community posted a long post about freezer prep for the IP, and the resulting discussion under the post was almost as helpful as the initial post. I think I could link it here. I can't remember if the FB group is a closed one or if you can read but not post if you're not a member. Let me see...

Hopefully this works:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/permalink/1122304131196907/

ETA one last thing about freezer cooking, because it seems like common sense but I was surprised to realize it. The freezer cooking thing will not save you cooking time, because it does take a while for the pot to get up to pressure and then thaw and cook the frozen food. So it's not the kind of thing where you can come home late after a long day and throw this into the IP and have dinner in 20 minutes. But it can be a very valuable time and effort saving method if you use it as a meal planning tool. I hope that makes sense! 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the instant pot information.  I had stayed off that bandwagon for a while, but as I posted in the other thread, I'd decided to get the 6 in 1 pot the other day, but failed to do so.  (We were traveling, my phone died, blah blah blah.)  I was delighted to see the 7 in 1 offer the next day, and I snagged it.  I didn't feel like I needed some of the additional functionality, but who knows.  I do  make yogurt, and my method is easy, but maybe this will be even easier.  

One of my reasons for hesitating is that I am approaching empty nest years, but as I think about that, I also think how much easier it will be to open my home to others... so I will still need to cook.  :-)  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the instant pot information.  I had stayed off that bandwagon for a while, but as I posted in the other thread, I'd decided to get the 6 in 1 pot the other day, but failed to do so.  (We were traveling, my phone died, blah blah blah.)  I was delighted to see the 7 in 1 offer the next day, and I snagged it.  I didn't feel like I needed some of the additional functionality, but who knows.  I do  make yogurt, and my method is easy, but maybe this will be even easier.  

One of my reasons for hesitating is that I am approaching empty nest years, but as I think about that, I also think how much easier it will be to open my home to others... so I will still need to cook.  :-)  

This pretty much describes me, especially the last part about empty nest. My 7 in 1 will be here tomorrow. I hope I love it as much as everyone else does. (I don't make yogurt but I do make bread, and my understanding is you can proof dough in the 7 in 1 as well.

• Like 2

Then there's the glass lid (not necessary, and you may have a lid at home already that will fit it), which you may want if you're going to use the IP as a slow cooker, or if you're cooking with the SautĂƒÂ© feature or making popcorn or yogurt or storing your inner pot in the fridge with leftovers or something. 

Popcorn??

If they ever put the 8qt model on sale I'll be getting one but I think the 6 qt will be just too small and it will frustrate me to cook such small amounts of food and I'll end up not using it.  But I really want one, why can't they ever put a sale on the bigger version!

I ordered the Instant Pot 6qt 7-in-1 yesterday, but as I daydreamed researched, I found this 8 qt for not much more than the Black Friday deal on the smaller IP. 

I know you'll do your own research, but I wanted to post that for you. Odd that all but the 8qt are Prime offers. Huh. Also, check out the "ads" for other brands of 8 qts above this item. 

Hope you find one that works for you, but ITA, it'd be nice if the bigger IP were discounted too. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

I ordered the Instant Pot 6qt 7-in-1 yesterday, but as I daydreamed researched, I found this 8 qt for not much more than the Black Friday deal on the smaller IP. 

I know you'll do your own research, but I wanted to post that for you. Odd that all but the 8qt are Prime offers. Huh. Also, check out the "ads" for other brands of 8 qts above this item. 

Hope you find one that works for you, but ITA, it'd be nice if the bigger IP were discounted too. 

I had seen other 8 quarts before but figured if I was going with that size I'd wait for the instant pot since it had the best reviews.  However, the one you posted has a 14 quart model.  For that size I'll be reconsidering the brand (have to do the research later when I'm not in the middle of canning applesauce).  I currently have a 10 quart stove top but it's doesn't hold everything I need so the option for a bigger size and a counter top version is very appealing.  Thanks so much.

• Like 1

I can't personally vouch for any of these cookbooks, but these seem to be the ones most referenced, or are written by the bloggers who are most relied upon in the groups I'm in. I'm not sure how they rank in terms of being paleo or vegan or anything like that.

https://www.amazon.com/Hip-Pressure-Cooking-Fresh-Flavorful/dp/1250026377/

https://www.amazon.com/Presents-Wardens-Ultimate-Pressure-Recipes/dp/1934193798/

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Electric-Pressure-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/1623156122/

This one is vegan, and she has several others as well as a blog:

https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Under-Pressure-Perfect-Cooker/dp/0544464028/

Oh, you'll be sorry! I'll link a bunch, give me a minute :D

ETA:

No, there is too much. Let me sum up...

Many people like Fat Daddio's pans for making cheesecake or things like banana bread--springform, push-up bottom, cake pan, ring mold pan, etc. Ideally, you need a 7-inch or smaller. 8-inch will fit, but it will be tight and you'll have a hard time getting it out.

You may also want a colander that will fit. Many people find one with a 7-inch circumference and then carefully remove the handles, but there are some that don't have handles. It's kind of a matter of price and what you prefer.

You'll definitely want a steamer basket. I think most people like the metal kind, but some like a silicone steamer basket. I've seen people say that they silicone ones aren't as sturdy and things like hard boiled eggs roll off. I have one I bought from another pressure cooker company (I think Fagor) through their web site, and I like it a lot. It's not collapsible, and it doesn't have big dimples in the bottom that can collect excess liquid. I think it cost me about $13. The worst part was waiting for shipping :lol:

Some people buy silicone egg cups to make things like poached eggs, but i just use my ramekins. If you think you'll be making things in the cake pans, you can buy a turkey/poultry lifter, like this (but not so expensive!), or some people buy these instead (cheaper). You put them in under the pan so that when your food is done, you can pick the whole thing up by the silicone handles.

And you may want to get a backup silicone ring or two. They do pick up odors, and some people say that they can taste the odor of, say, curry when they eat their yogurt made with the same ring, so they have a "sweet" ring and a "savory" ring. There are ways to decrease the smell (leave in the sun, bury in baking soda, etc.), but I've found it helpful to have a backup anyway.

I think that's it! If I remember anything else, I'll add to this :D

You are such a gem with these posts. On behalf of new-to-buttons cooks everywhere, I thank you.

The steamer basket I have from the Fagor. But I miss the thingie that keeps it up, preventing it touching the water. I need one of those don't I?

• Like 1

I had seen other 8 quarts before but figured if I was going with that size I'd wait for the instant pot since it had the best reviews.  However, the one you posted has a 14 quart model.  For that size I'll be reconsidering the brand (have to do the research later when I'm not in the middle of canning applesauce).  I currently have a 10 quart stove top but it's doesn't hold everything I need so the option for a bigger size and a counter top version is very appealing.  Thanks so much.

I hear ya on the reviews. I almost bought the Go Wise, but held out for the IP b/c of the reviews. I'm just glad it was a BF sale again this year. Wish I could have bought one for dd. Maybe the next Prime Day. Or BF 2017.

Popcorn??

Popcorn. Isn't that crazy? I just found out about that yesterday from a friend. I'm on my phone, so it's hard to link, but if you Google something like instant pot popcorn recipe, you should come up with a recipe from copymethat.com. That seems to be the one most people use.

I see a number of references to cooking "pot in a pot" with this. Any particular type of pot recommended for this use? I'm loading up my Amazon wish list with accessories and cookbooks for our new IP. ;)

I haven't had to do this yet, but I've seen posts where people talk about using their Corelle bowls, Pyrex, stainless steel bowls, etc. I think basically anything that's oven safe is ok to use in the IP. The heavier the bowl, the longer the IP will take to heat up and come to pressure though, since it will have to heat the bowl material as well.

You are such a gem with these posts. On behalf of new-to-buttons cooks everywhere, I thank you.

The steamer basket I have from the Fagor. But I miss the thingie that keeps it up, preventing it touching the water. I need one of those don't I?

I'm glad I could help. I'm a researcher by nature, and there's a learning curve with this thing, so hopefully I can help take the edge off that for a few people! Your new IP should come with what people seem to refer to as a trivet--basically a wire rack with feet. You can put the steamer basket on that. The only thing I'm not sure about is that my 6-in1 came with just a plain rack, but from the picture on Amazon, it looks like maybe the trivet for the 7-in-1 has long handles? So you might need to remove those to put the Fagor steamer basket on it? I'm not sure, but I know most people on the FB group have the 7-in-1, and they all use steamer baskets all the time, so it must be doable somehow. You could also buy your own little metal rack if you needed to--Amazon carries a bunch of different kinds.

• Like 2

Some of the IP folks on Facebook have shared various "hacks" on how to make do with what might already be in your cabinet.  Your IP will come with a "trivet," a wire rack to keep food off the bottom, and up out of the water if needed. 

If you want to cook two things at once and need the trivet to go between the two containers holding food, you can use 3 ball jar rings in the bottom as a makeshift trivet.  That trick works really well!

• Like 3

My IP was supposed to come today but I was pleasantly surprised by a delivery last night. I get to use it for dinner tonight if the learning curve isn't too steep. For some reason I have my mind set on beef stew. For one, dh likes it and I haven't made it in a while. Two, he's working the midnight shift tonight so I need something we can eat at separate times that will easily heat up. 

My morning has been spent browsing for IP stew recipes. From what I understand you shouldn't just try to adapt your own recipes until you get used to using it. Is that right?

• Like 1

My IP was supposed to come today but I was pleasantly surprised by a delivery last night. I get to use it for dinner tonight if the learning curve isn't too steep. For some reason I have my mind set on beef stew. For one, dh likes it and I haven't made it in a while. Two, he's working the midnight shift tonight so I need something we can eat at separate times that will easily heat up. 

My morning has been spent browsing for IP stew recipes. From what I understand you shouldn't just try to adapt your own recipes until you get used to using it. Is that right?

So fun! My second one should be here today, and I'm so looking forward to making yogurt in it tomorrow after I can get to Whole Foods for some non-UHT-pasteurized milk.

I would say yes, you probably shouldn't try to convert anything just yet, but there are a million IP recipes out there already. I've only converted a couple of simple things, but the easiest way to do it is to find a recipe that's similar to the one you like and then tweak it to include your own ingredients. 

• Like 2

The first thing I made was my MIL's beef stew recipe. I did find a recipe on-line to determine how to cook/brown the meat and finish it off, but the rest of the recipe was hers. It turned out great and now I make it for my MIL/FIL.

Have fun :-)!!!

• Like 1

So fun! My second one should be here today, and I'm so looking forward to making yogurt in it tomorrow after I can get to Whole Foods for some non-UHT-pasteurized milk.

I would say yes, you probably shouldn't try to convert anything just yet, but there are a million IP recipes out there already. I've only converted a couple of simple things, but the easiest way to do it is to find a recipe that's similar to the one you like and then tweak it to include your own ingredients. 

How will you make your yogurt? In jars? I think I will try this method for yogurt.  I am excited to play around with it. Tomorrow is delivery day! I'm a little jealous of all you folks w/ Sunday delivery.