Menu

Have we talked about this? banning plastic grocery bags

Aura

Free bags are rare here. Most places charge & the effect is that people bring their own.  I have a variety of bags & they're easy to use. 

I have a big one similar to this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Reusable-Shopping-Bag-Portable-Grocery-Tote-Bag-Large-Travel-Outdoor-Nylon-Eco-Bags-Environmental-Folding/32626789037.html  . It's machine wash & hang. It's made of the same type of fabric as those old rainjackets that folded into a pouch were made of - a light but very strong nylon.

I have some from Target similar to those. I don't think Target has them anymore, but I love how they fold up small enough to fit in a purse.

It does seem to take much longer for cashiers/baggers to deal with reusable bags.

Until they get used to them and learn how. If it becomes normal for people to bring bags, baggers will adapt. I do find the cashiers at Walmart are the least friendly towards reusable bags.

And that's the problem. If we all do our own thing, the world is destroyed. Sometimes the group has to act in concert. 

There are actions which have global repercussions. Leaded fuel, CFC's, vaccinations, garbage, etc.

They're not just your problems. Unless you keep your garbage on your own property & deal with it all yourself...but even then, you're contaminating ground water & air around you & affecting others.

Exactly. Think Globally, Act Locally is not just an empty saying. It matters.

For me, I definitely have real issues to be concerned about. Not looking for a hobby. But my college-aged son's reports from his environmental science class were pretty enlightening, and many scenarios became a situation of, "Now you know better, so do better."

I've always been frugal and anti-waste. Frugality and environmentalism have some overlap here and there, so I've always been somewhat aware. Environmentalism is not my #1 belief system nor priority, but I've always tried to do what I can. But I truly didn't know what a mess we're making with these silly plastic bags until my son learned about it in school...and then I couldn't un-know.

And then pragmatism kicked in. I wondered how long we've found the single use plastic bag to be necessary (answer: for about 10 minutes in the grand scheme of things), and how our progenitors managed without them (answer: quite nicely and easily), and whether anybody else on the planet has decided to just stop using them, and how that went (answers: yes, and it helped)...so there you go.

A couple hours' conversation and research, a few minutes making a decision, an entirely painless change made. Without detracting from my real work and other pressing issues. This is NOT hard.

It really isn't hard. Plus, even if it is a fad for some people, why should that stop me from making changes? That idea makes no sense. 

Most people do what I do. Slowly accumulate free bags here and there and everywhere over time. The little book bag sized bags and the little fold up nylon totes are extremely common to get for free. Library summer reading program? Free bag. Baby registry? Free tote. First order at Walmart grocery pickup? Free bag. Get a business membership at a big box store? Free large insulated tote.

I've been using my own bags for years, and I collected them over time. Most were free, others were inexpensive. For a while, a bunch of stores in my area gave away a free bag every Earth Day. Some still do. i don't care if my bag is free advertising for a grocery store or department store, or isn't adorable. As long as it does the job for me, I'll use it.

People have already (repeatedly) mentioned cute totes with handles, rolling carts, and laundry baskets. These all last a very long time, and are easily cleaned.

But this was after telling you all the ways to beg, borrow, scavenge, or create cheap-to-free bags if you want bags...

You have shot down every single solution to every single objection you've made about letting plastic bags go...could it be you want to keep them? Just guessing? :)

Yep. If you aren't interested in making a difference just say so. There have been more than enough options suggested and linked here. Every single one of them is too hard for you or you don't like it for whatever reason. Just be honest with yourself. You don't care about reducing.

• Like 5

I would support a ban, but it wouldn't happen here. And my city requires trash to be in a plastic bag. We keep it to a minimum so we're not using plastic bags all over the house. Our kitchen trash can has a plastic bag, and the trash from elsewhere in the house gets dumped into that bag on trash night. 

Cart Care and Use: All refuse shall be placed in bags prior to deposit in the carts.

http://www.titusville.com/Page.asp?NavID=762

Also, recycling is voluntary here and they don't accept plastic bags or styrofoam. Fortunately one of our grocery chains (Publix) has recycle bins where you can take those items. I think Target has a few too. 

I use these  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M67UA1O/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00M67UA1O&linkCode=as2&tag=natureblog-20&th=1 They are easily wiped clean.  I put meat products in the small plastic bags that are by the meat section (and which are not the kind of bags that are banned in this area).  So there is no contamination of general groceries in the larger bag. 

Yes and none of that would work.  I have a shower stall. I'd have to stand under running water to clean a trash can.  Not happening.  And that stuff doesn't go into the kitchen trash.  Yuck.  Nope.   Goes outside.  It needs to be bagged. 

But really, not sure why I need to explain these details.  I don't think I'm being crazy unreasonable.  And I'm not stupid.  Like I couldn't have thought of that.  I don't do it because it doesn't work for me.

No, you don't stand in the shower. You stick the can in. You aim the shower head into it to get some water. Squirt some soap in if you are that picky. Swish around, wipe with a rag or brush. Dump water out. Rinse with fresh water if so inclined. 

I have washed ours this way various times. Never have I ever gotten in the shower/tub at the same time. I don't even get wet (well, maybe a few drops, but who cares?). 

I don't understand why it going outside means it needs a bag. Take the can out. Dump into larger container. Easy peasy. It's not as though bathroom trash cans are that large.

You said something about how you don't think you are being unreasonable, but the responses in this thread seem to indicated otherwise. The following says that much more nicely.

Yep. If you aren't interested in making a difference just say so. There have been more than enough options suggested and linked here. Every single one of them is too hard for you or you don't like it for whatever reason. Just be honest with yourself. You don't care about reducing.

Amen.

• Like 2

I use these  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M67UA1O/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00M67UA1O&linkCode=as2&tag=natureblog-20&th=1 They are easily wiped clean.  I put meat products in the small plastic bags that are by the meat section (and which are not the kind of bags that are banned in this area).  So there is no contamination of general groceries in the larger bag. 

I've been looking at some of the cart type bags/bins and considering them. Are they heavy though once you load them with your purchases? I often ask the bagger to split up my items and use all of the bags I brought in rather than try to fit a bunch of items in only a few bags. They think they're doing me a favor by not filling all my bags so I have to teach them how to bag my stuff. If dh or ds is home it's not a problem, but if no one is home, I need the bags to be light. I'd rather carry in 6 light bags than 2 or 3 heavy ones. My back issues prohibit me from carrying heavy bags. I know you know what it's like Jean. Do you find it to be a problem? 

I've been looking at some of the cart type bags/bins and considering them. Are they heavy though once you load them with your purchases? I often ask the bagger to split up my items and use all of the bags I brought in rather than try to fit a bunch of items in only a few bags. They think they're doing me a favor by not filling all my bags so I have to teach them how to bag my stuff. If dh or ds is home it's not a problem, but if no one is home, I need the bags to be light. I'd rather carry in 6 light bags than 2 or 3 heavy ones. My back issues prohibit me from carrying heavy bags. I know you know what it's like Jean. Do you find it to be a problem?

It is a problem if it is full of heavy cans or bottles. But a bunch of produce is fine. So it depends. I also have smaller tote bags that are better for dividing up heavier things into smaller portions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Actually, why do you need a plastic bag in the trash can? Why not just empty directly into the can, then empty that one into the big one? Not all garbage needs to be bagged, and esp not in individual bags. Wash out the bin with soapy water. 

Because if it's windy on garbage day, your garbage ends up getting blown everywhere when it's dumped into the truck, if it's all loose rather than bagged.

Because if it's windy on garbage day, your garbage ends up getting blown everywhere when it's dumped into the truck, if it's all loose rather than bagged.

That's interesting. We take most of the light stuff - paper, plastics - to the recycling centre. The things in the roadside bin tend to be damp or heavy. If there are sanitary towels, they go in the kitchen bin bag as it is taken out to the road.

No, you don't stand in the shower. You stick the can in. You aim the shower head into it to get some water. Squirt some soap in if you are that picky. Swish around, wipe with a rag or brush. Dump water out. Rinse with fresh water if so inclined. 

I have washed ours this way various times. Never have I ever gotten in the shower/tub at the same time. I don't even get wet (well, maybe a few drops, but who cares?). 

I don't understand why it going outside means it needs a bag. Take the can out. Dump into larger container. Easy peasy. It's not as though bathroom trash cans are that large.

You said something about how you don't think you are being unreasonable, but the responses in this thread seem to indicated otherwise. The following says that much more nicely.

Amen.

The shower head is attached.  There is no aiming of anything.  I cannot reach the dial to turn the shower on without getting into the shower which means I'm under the shower. 

And no I do not put trash outside without being bagged.  The trash dudes are very haphazard with stuff and if they spill contents, they do not pick them up. 

I'm not being unreasonable.  I bet nearly everyone here could do something differently that would be more ideal, but chooses not to because the alternative is such a pain.

• Like 1

Amen.

And here is another question.  If you used disposable diapers, did you just put them in a can without a liner and throw them into a can outside without a liner?  You don't think that would be a bit problematic?  Honestly? 

Plus my goodness how in hell would you know my personal situation or the contents of my garbage?  Or why I use plastic bags to throw out my garbage?  Your set up might be completely different.  Don't know why you are picking on me.  If I say it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work for me. 

Also, we aren't allowed to put trash out unbagged.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

Yes...like the used, unwrapped sanitary napkin I found on my front lawn from my neighbor's unbagged trashcan. Gross.

Edited to add: Or the lid blows back in the wind, and the trash blows all over before it's picked up. I realize reducing waste is important, and I do what I can. But I'm sick of picking up food bits (great for attracting rodents), snotty tissues, and other disgusting stuff because it wasn't bagged in someone else's can.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler
  • Like 2

Not trying to pick on anyone, just pointing out that one can still make an impact by not using single use plastic shopping bags, even if they still need some plastic bag use in their lives.

I use plastic trash bags for my big trash can. That's one bag per week, satisfies the trash pickup laws, and suits my own squeamishness level regarding some types of trash. (We recycle and don't use a lot of paper products, so even with a big family we don't have more than one bin full of trash per week.)

So that's not perfection, it's not totally petroleum free, but that's ok because I wasn't going for perfection. I was going for workable and better.

If I don't use plastic grocery bags, for a family as big as mine that's NOT using 15-20 bags per week, round up to 80 per month, to almost a thousand per year.

52 weekly garbage bags used. 1000 plastic grocery bags NOT used. Still helping.

• Like 12

i think a lot of municiple garbage rules do say that trash for oushold pick-up needs to be bagged.  I can see it being a problem, or a santitation issue potentially, for the guys picking up the trash.

We have a contractor bag that goes out about every six weeks that is almost entirely dog poo.  That would be pretty gross in a can, or even in a paper bag.

I do think though that some of the places where people are used to plastic bags, paper would work.  They may not be available everywhere, but here leaves and yard waste have to go into heavy paper bags, and many people also buy a smaller version for their indoor compost pail.  I think they could easily work for lining big trash cans or bathroom sided trash cans.

I live in a city that has banned plastic bans. It's not a big deal at all. You either bring a reusable bag or you pay 5 cents for a paper one. The only plastic bags available are produce bags and small plastic bags for meat. If you aren't buying a lot of stuff they even have small paper bags for free. I'd love to adopt it as a statewide thing. Good for CA for voting it in, maybe we'll be next. 

• Like 2

They do make more durable outdoor trash cans with lids that strap down. Just as an FYI.

Whether it's a safety issue for the garbage collectors to have cans of unbagged trash depend on their truck and the can. Cans that have the auto dump lever and trucks where they attach the can and the truck has an auto lift and dump involve less muscle and contact from the worker. It's like a mini version of what they use for emptying dumpsters.

I don't mind yard garbage bags. I just don't see a need to fill them with dozens of smaller bags too

I see no problem with diapers or anything else in cans without bags in the house. The exterior is covered and dry. I don't allow any food or drink or otherwise sticky and messy items to be disposed in any trash can other than the bagged one in the garage or the lined kitchen one under the sink in the kitchen. It reduces ants and mess and I don't have to worry about my pets getting into it. If the diaper is stinky, I fold it up tight and put it in the garage trash can too bc I don't want to smell that until the can is full and ready to be emptied. We take the cat box every morning into the garage and scoop it right next to the lined trash can and then bring it back in.

None of this is complicated, time consuming or difficult at all and it keeps the worst messes confined to the best location for them.

If someone does not want to do it - it's bc they do not want to do it. Not bc they are actually more clean or that it's just too difficult.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 3

They do make more durable outdoor trash cans with lids that strap down. Just as an FYI.

Whether it's a safety issue for the garbage collectors to have cans of unbagged trash depend on their truck and the can. Cans that have the auto dump lever and trucks where they attach the can and the truck has an auto lift and dump involve less muscle and contact from the worker. It's like a mini version of what they use for emptying dumpsters.

I don't mind yard garbage bags. I just don't see a need to fill them with dozens of smaller bags too

I see no problem with diapers or anything else in cans without bags in the house. The exterior is covered and dry. I don't allow any food or drink or otherwise sticky and messy items to be disposed in any trash can other than the bagged one in the garage or the lined kitchen one under the sink in the kitchen. It reduces ants and mess and I don't have to worry about my pets getting into it. If the diaper is stinky, I fold it up tight and put it in the garage trash can too bc I don't want to smell that until the can is full and ready to be emptied. We take the cat box every morning into the garage and scoop it right next to the lined trash can and then bring it back in.

None of this is complicated, time consuming or difficult at all and it keeps the worst messes confined to the best location for them.

If someone does not want to do it - it's bc they do not want to do it. Not bc they are actually more clean or that it's just too difficult.

Not arguing with you here. I just wanted to mention that not everyone gets to choose what kind of trash and/or recycling can they use. Ours are city-issued. Lids but no locks. We frequently get strong winds, so on trash day, that means stuff blowing all over, whether it's recyclables or unbagged trash (which isn't allowed but some people do anyway).

But I will agree that this thread has lots of good suggestions for anyone interested in doing more. But I'm going to say that people who reject a particular measure likely have a good reason for doing so. As long as we're all doing SOMETHING, that's good.

• Like 3

My garbage can is far from the house.  In good weather this wouldn't be terrible.  During snow and ice..terrible.  Plus we aren't supposed to put trash out that isn't bagged.  They could refuse to take our trash.  When they dump half of it on the ground (because I tried this) they left it there.  We live in a densely populated urban area.  We have to take steps to reduce issues with rats, etc. 

You talk about just going into the garage to empty cat stuff.  This is YOUR set up.  Not mine.  I'd be impressed if it were more complicated than that.  Doesn't sound like you are working extra hard to make this work, it just sounds like you have a system that isn't complicated that works. 

• Like 1

Part of what we've identified then is that some people need to pressure their municipal leadership to make curbside garbage collection changes, because as I've said before, collective action through gov't leadership is required to get people moving together to positive solutions. 

We have automated garbage cans with heavy lids. Things can go in loose.  I too live in a densely populated urban area. It's not a problem.  Garbage is only picked up every 2 weeks because there shouldn't be much in there. Everything possible is diverted into recycling or composting. 

We have curbside recycling for plastic, paper & glass. 

We also have curbside composting pickup for ALL  food waste & paper napkins etc + any garden materials .  <--- this has actually been the most challenging issue because we live in bear country and also have coyotes, racoons etc & so our green bins have to kept  locked & then unlocked for the pickup. Some people resist locking them because it's 'such a headache' ... /sigh/ 

There are always improvements to be made, always some tips to make things better for the environment.  I don't get the negative "well, I can't" responses. 

And this was never about banning plastic bags from the landfill or incinerators (though that's a separate good discussion), but about banning free plastic bags from stores.   The whole 'BAN' word is misleading. They're not banned in Cali. You just have to pay 10c for them, or bring your own.   

• Like 3

I would love to have the automated garbage cans.  Those are high quality cans with good lids and you are right stuff could just get thrown right in there unbagged.  The problem is trash is set out in the alley and there isn't enough clearance or room for the trucks that collect those cans.  That was something proposed and looked into in the city, but again, they could not make that work due to the configuration of the streets. 

Part of what we've identified then is that some people need to pressure their municipal leadership to make curbside garbage collection changes, because as I've said before, collective action through gov't leadership is required to get people moving together to positive solutions. 

We have automated garbage cans with heavy lids. Things can go in loose.  I too live in a densely populated urban area. It's not a problem.  Garbage is only picked up every 2 weeks because there shouldn't be much in there. Everything possible is diverted into recycling or composting. 

We have curbside recycling for plastic, paper & glass. 

We also have curbside composting pickup for ALL  food waste & paper napkins etc + any garden materials .  <--- this has actually been the most challenging issue because we live in bear country and also have coyotes, racoons etc & so our green bins have to kept  locked & then unlocked for the pickup. Some people resist locking them because it's 'such a headache' ... /sigh/ 

There are always improvements to be made, always some tips to make things better for the environment.  I don't get the negative "well, I can't" responses. 

And this was never about banning plastic bags from the landfill or incinerators (though that's a separate good discussion), but about banning free plastic bags from stores.   The whole 'BAN' word is misleading. They're not banned in Cali. You just have to pay 10c for them, or bring your own.   

Right. I use yard bags in the can in the garage and a kitchen bag for the can under the sink. Because we do not have the automatic lift garbage collection in my area. And bc we also have heavy winds. At least I can buy my own curb can as long as it conforms to certain pick up requirements.

When we lived in an apartment, we had one small yard can on our balcony with a bag in it. We used that as our "garage" can and when it was full, the wheels made it a whole lot easier to haul down three flights of stairs and across the complex to the dumpster.

The point is not that everyone must do things my way. Of course not.

But they for sure can do a lot to reduce with little effort and not compromise cleanliness either.

And yes, most of what I do isn't even for environmental purposes. It's just flat out cheaper and easier. I'm a huge fan of same results for less money and time. 😎

Edited by Murphy101

And yes, most of what I do isn't even for environmental purposes. It's just flat out cheaper and easier. I'm a huge fan of same results for less money and time. 😎

ok so lecture me on how easy this is and how environmentally better this is, but it comes down to being cheaper and easier and that is your bigger motivation.....

my motivation is yes in part ease, but in part NO CHOICE....I cannot throw garbage out to the curb unbagged or just in a trash can..period...can't do it...

I do like that Target gives a .5 discount for each reusable bag used. I used to think this was the ideal solution because I think it's a better principle to offer a "reward" instead of being "fined." However, now that reusable bags has been a familiar concept for several years where I live and still reusable bags seem to be in the minority, I am changing my thinking. A lot of people don't change their ways until they have no other options, so I have become a believer in making them unavailable.

It's odd in a way, because while reusable bags for grocery shopping is at least no longer uncommon, reusable bags for household and other shopping is still very rare. I just bought something at Kohl's last week and the cashier commented on it, because I asked to please use my own bag. And even after she had said, "That's a good idea, but people almost never do that here," I still had to remind her again because she started to get a plastic bag from habit. This is what I encounter about 7 out of 10 times if I'm using my own bag at a non-grocery store. One cashier, at Staples, snickered at me and said, "You know, we give them away for FREE here." I just say, "Thank you, but I think there enough plastic bags in the world." It's hard to keep from adding, "...and in the stomachs of wildlife..."

• Like 6

I'm not sure how we moved from reusable grocery bags to the extreme of used maxi pads on lawns, but I agree some people might have circumstances that require them to use plastic bags for trash.

None of that has anything to do with reusable grocery bags. People adjust and California is still here and people are shopping. Even Chicken Little's gotta eat.  ;)

Edited by idnib

And it's not a "well I can't".  It's a thanks for the tip regrading what works for you, but don't assume my situation is exactly the same as yours.  If I didn't care and had not thought this through, why would I be here arguing about it?

But you've been given so very many options and not a single one is right for you? Not one? Do you see how that looks to those trying to give you suggestions? It's not as though Murphy and everyone else said you must to it this way, my way. They've tried. You shot down Every. Single. Suggestion. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Plus my goodness how in hell would you know my personal situation or the contents of my garbage? Or why I use plastic bags to throw out my garbage? Your set up might be completely different. Don't know why you are picking on me. If I say it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work for me.

Also, we aren't allowed to put trash out unbagged.

Solidarity sister. I always put a bag in the bathroom garbages, including the diaper one and the normal powder room one. I reuse grocery store plastic bags (le gasp!) specifically for this purpose. And we must bag up our garbage too, and take it to the dump ourselves because it is more efficient than pickup services.

I'm a dirty hippy and make lifestyle choices that work for me, but it's not a race to beat Ed Begley Jr. A few areas we each improve in that suit us IS a good choice. Good enough anyway.

But you've been given so very many options and not a single one is right for you? Not one? Do you see how that looks to those trying to give you suggestions? It's not as though Murphy and everyone else said you must to it this way, my way. They've tried. You shot down Every. Single. Suggestion. 

It feels like an attack rather than honestly wanting to help.  It was stated in ways that came off as, "Well duh I do this and it's so easy what's wrong with you?". 

We don't purchase plastic trash bags for use at home either. Our kitchen and bathroom trashcans are metal on the outside with removable plastic bins. On trash day we just empty the plastic bin into the big black trash can. We don't have pets and we use reusable cloth diapers.

Our trash company requires trash & garbage to be in plastic bags. I think it is an effort to cut down on roadside litter as they transport. 

I wonder if that will ever change? Has it always been this way in your area?

I do what works for me with our local laws and store policies and our individual circumstances.  I see no need to justify those.  While I realize the validity of using reusable bags, I agree with some others that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. 

For me, the whole garbage / recycling / yard waste thing has been a process.  I asked for and got my higher end larger cart bags for Christmas and/or birthday (I can't remember which).  I started to compost kitchen scraps later. That has been a big learning process with learning how to avoid fruit flies and other problems of that nature.   In our area, crows getting into the garbage even if it is bagged, can be a huge problem.  So we've taken steps to take care of that with special lids that still meet the garbage company specifications.  We recycle a lot, but in our family for some weird reason it seems like you have to have XX chromosomes to actually understand what can be recycled and what can't, so it seems like I'm always picking stuff out of the garbage to put in recycling and vice versa! 

• Like 1

I think there are some things where band seem to work well, or laws, and some where they don't.  Plastic bag bans seem to really work to reduce platic bag use, and are minimally annoying. 

Mandated garbage separation, recycling, and so on also seem to work well as long as they are run properly.  They make it worthwhile or possible for many people who would want to do those things anyway.  And they save a ton of money too - this is why a lot of places actually get into those programs in the first place.

To me, for most of us in Canada or the US, these should be no-brainers - they've been tried enough that they aren't mysteries, we know they work and how to do them well.

It feels like an attack rather than honestly wanting to help.  It was stated in ways that came off as, "Well duh I do this and it's so easy what's wrong with you?". 

Even if that's true, and I'm not convinced it is, why does that negate the suggestion? I think you've received many helpful ideas. Honestly, from this side of the table, when you're shooting everything down and even worrying about the thickness of reusable bags, it feels like you just don't want to do it but won't say it.

Maybe I'm just tired and stressed, but I feel a bit like you're just toying with us. There exists no suggestion for which you don't have to make any changes, nor one iota more effort than you do right now. Sorry.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 4

I live in the LA area. We've been using reusable bags for a few years now - I have quite the collection in the back of my car! The change wasn't a big deal for me, but I was checking out at Target the other day (right after the bag law went down) and there was an older man having a tantrum. He was incredulously repeating, "Ten cents?! Ten cents?! This is what you get when you vote for Trump!!!!"  He gathered up his items and huffed out. The poor teen checker was dumbfounded. I had to laugh. 

• Like 1

We have miles and miles and miles of plastic clouds in the oceans from current bag use.  It is very stupid for us as a society to continue on with what you know is harmful when there are easy, cheap alternatives.  That are SLIGHTLY less convenient, but, don't pollute the food we put into our bodies.  I'm in camp "it's a no-brainer".

Yup.  Too bad isn't wasn't an actual ban on plastic bags.  There will be a reduction in plastic bag use, but we (Californians) will still use plenty of them.  

Ban plastic, go back to paper, let stores choose whether to charge for the paper bags or offer them for free.

But no.  We're in California and that would give businesses way too much freedom.

• Like 2

I also want to say I am all :lol: over how many people in this thread say "well it's just so easy to keep bags in your trunk, etc"

Some of us take public transit lol or walk - both of which are also great for the environment. But it does make it harder to have your bags with you

If your plan is to walk away from a store with full grocery bags, how is walking around town with empty bags cumbersome? I have nylon bags that fold into themselves In tiny pouches that clip to my purse. They weigh almost nothing. My purse and phone are A LOT heavier than my reusable bags and are a non-issue on public transportation.

• Like 5