Menu

Laundry Detergent recommendations?

Moonhawk

So, I have a sensitive nose and get headaches when perfumes are too strong, etc. We've been using All Free & Clear for the past years and it has been good. But recently the "no smell" clean has turned into "stills kinda smells" clean.  

We've tried vinegar, baking soda, etc, already.  This is a problem with everyone's clothes, not just a particular person (we wash by person separately).  Same problem with towels.  While it could be the washer, we do clean it regularly, and doesn't seem to be a problem with new clothes or towels, so long as the new clothes and towels are washed separately from old clothes/towels.  But then, after a few months of being worn, the clothes start to retain the smell.  We have tried changing deodorants as well.

So we thought we could use another detergent, maybe only part-time, so that if there is a lingering scent in the clothes, it's smells clean, not dirty. 

I've tried Cheer's Colorguard (black bottle type, I don't know how many different types there are), the scent is too overpowering for us. Are there any detergents out there that are either not as strongly scented, or another version of non-scented you have found to work? We use liquid detergent, if that makes any difference.  

Have you tried cleaning your washer? Do you have hard water? You may need to strip your towels and clothes from detergent or mineral buildup. The best way I know to strip towels (and diapers) is equal parts of Calgon (water softener, Walmart carries it on laundry aisle), Borax, and Washing Soda. Hot water and soak for a few hours. Then wash again in plain hot water. All Free & Clear **powder** is usually recommended for diapers but the liquid is bad for buildup. I'd try some good old Tide (they make unscented) after stripping. Powder is usually better for not producing buildup than liquid.

• Like 1

I use Borax to take smells out of clothes.  It worked well when my son used to wet the bed and there was always that pee smell in his clothes.  I can thank my MIL for that tip.  It's also good for smelly boy clothes, and now that my son works at a restaurant, it's good for getting those smells out as well.

• Like 3

Following.  I've been using Costco's version of All F&C.  I had hoped it would be an improvement over the All, which doesn't quite get our clothes clean enough.  It's about the same, though a little cheaper.

I've not been pleased with any of the natural free and clear detergents I've tried, so I've been hesitant to try Mrs.Meyers.  I wash in cold unless I'm doing towels, and the natural detergents seem to work better in hot water.  

I use the Kirkland brand in the big square bucket.  I ignore modern washing recommendations and still have hot, warm, and cold loads depending upon what I'm washing.  For my family, Tide smells way too strong, but the kirkland is almost as scent-free as tide-free.  There's a bit of a smell, but it doesn't sting your nose like most detergent smells.  I also have good luck with homemade laundry soaps.  I mix it up dry in my cuisinart.  They leave almost no smell, but I got lazy and got into the habit of grabbing the bucket.  If you have a toploader, you can try soaking before washing.

• Like 1

Charlies Soap.  It's the only stuff I've found that works better than All F&C here: about the same price, scent free, washes clean, and works well.  They have a hard water booster that's amazing, too.

Yes, this one.  I use this because I can't do scents.  It cleans well.  I've used both the liquid and the power.  They both work well.  I used it when my kids were in cloth diapers, as well, and it cleaned them very well.

I have used Amway SA-8 for about 30 years, and I won't ever switch.  It has no fillers, so you only use about 1/4th the amount of other detergents.  The scent is almost unnoticeable (Regular Tide is way too strong for me).  It is non-irritating (I used Kirkland one time when we were traveling, and it gave my dd a rash -- looked like ringworm all over her torso, but Amway never bothers us).  It cleans really well, and works in HE washers.  Only problem is you have to get it from an Amway distributer.  If you know one, ask them for a sample.  If you don't, look at the Amway website.  I'm sure they'd be happy to direct you.

• Like 1

I use the Kirkland brand in the big square bucket. I ignore modern washing recommendations and still have hot, warm, and cold loads depending upon what I'm washing. For my family, Tide smells way too strong, but the kirkland is almost as scent-free as tide-free. There's a bit of a smell, but it doesn't sting your nose like most detergent smells. I also have good luck with homemade laundry soaps. I mix it up dry in my cuisinart. They leave almost no smell, but I got lazy and got into the habit of grabbing the bucket. If you have a toploader, you can try soaking before washing.

I'm scent-sensitive and this is what I use, too.

I rotate through All F/C, Kirkland F/C, Tide F/C.

I use the bare minimum of detergent for all of our wash and only use drier sheets for clothes. The only time I use liquid softener, is when I am washing something synthetic  that won't be dried but want to avoid static (athletic clothes etc).

I also try to use a cleaning tablet in my washer once a month.  They really do help to keep the washer mold/sour smell down.  We have hard water and a front load washer, so cleaning it is key. 

Borax, Washing Soda, Seventh Generation free and clear, Oxyclean (or is it oxybrite?  -- basically sodium percarbonate with a tiny bit of detergent).

If we have a machine that can tolerate real soap rather than detergent, a tiny (Tiny!!! like 1 tsp / load) bit of Dr. Bronner's unscented baby soap liquid....   I used that for years in a top loader, but am afraid to do it in an HE front loader.