Menu

What is your corn dish for Thanksgiving?

Janeway

We don't do corn at thanksgiving since it's out of season here and the traditional creamed corn or corn casserole type things people do with canned or frozen corn have things in them I don't or can't eat. Like the cream 😂

Our veggies for Thangsgiving usually include a mash, glazed carrots and parsnips and Brussels sprouts. A friend always does sweet potatoes too and sometimes we have cooked the stuffing in squash.

Edited by LucyStoner

Jalapeño corn casserole. Mild jalapeño flavor, not too spicy for the kids, creamy and delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds good :)

We don't usually have a corn dish. One year, I might go full on Charlie Brown and have toast, popcorn and jelly beans for thanksgiving dinner though. :-)

Can I  come? :D

Corn is not in season by the time Thanksgiving comes around but we have used frozen. We really love corn chowder salad. It's bacon, potatoes, bell peppers, red onion, and CORN! CORN! CORN! All dressed in Apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper. You can omit the bacon for vegetarians/vegans.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/08/corn-chowder-salad/

• Like 1

I could have pretty much written this, and am now craving Thanksgiving veggies, but we've never cooked the stuffing in squash. Can you tell me more? We love squash, and always have some variety of it at Thanksgiving.

I think the basic idea was one I snagged on Gluten Free Goddess. It was a cornbread stuffing recipe but there's no reason one couldn't do it with regular bread stuffing.

(Switches screen to find link)

Yep, here's the recipe:

https://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2012/11/gluten-free-cornbread-stuffing-roasted.html?m=1

Corn Pie

1 can corn (drained)

1 can creamed corn

1 8oz container sour cream

1 stick of butter, softened

1 box jiffy corn bread/muffin mix

2 graham cracker pie crusts

Heat oven to 350. Mix everything up and put in the pie crusts. Bake until slightly golden and set, about 45-60 minutes, sometimes more. 

• Like 1

Corn Pie

1 can corn (drained)

1 can creamed corn

1 8oz container sour cream

1 stick of butter, softened

1 box jiffy corn bread/muffin mix

2 graham cracker pie crusts

Heat oven to 350. Mix everything up and put in the pie crusts. Bake until slightly golden and set, about 45-60 minutes, sometimes more. 

• Like 1

Recipe, please. I just had some jalapeño corn bread that was to die for.

Jalapeno corn casserole

Ingredients:

4lbs corn (frozen, fresh, or canned)

3 jalapenos

8 oz cream cheese

1/4 c butter

1/2 c milk

salt and pepper to taste

optional crumb topping: (it's yummy but I usually don't do it because it doesn't do well as leftovers - gets mushy)

1 c bread crumbs

1/2 c melted butter

Directions:

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream cheese, butter, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir continually until melted and smooth. Set aside.

Wearing gloves, de-seed and cut in half 3 jalapenos. Place in boiling water for one minute. Remove, finely chop, and add to sauce.

Mix corn into sauce, and place mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish. Add crumb topping if desired.

Bake 30-45 min (depending on whether your corn was frozen or not) at 350F.

Crumb topping directions:

Mix melted butter with bread crumbs and sprinkle over the top of the casserole before baking.

• Like 2

I have ill will towards corn. Not sure why. Might have to do with what I can afford is not organic. Scary corn. Children of the Corn. Nope. No thanks.

I used to love corn. 

If stomach acid can disintegrate metal, why can't it do the same to corn?

I don't eat unicorn horn. Yucky, ew. No.

No gastrointestinal issue with it I just don't eat corn. Oh, I do eat corn when I'm eating corn chips and salsa. Now there's an idea for Thanksgiving.

We have baked cheese grits 

2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus extra for greasing baking dish

3 cups water

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 tsp cayenne powder

salt and pepper to taste

1 tablespoon minced garlic 

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned grits 

3 large eggs, beaten 

2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar, divided (1 1/2 cups, and 1/2 cup)

[Part 1 - do day before or anytime up to 2 hours before mealtime]

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.  Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutess.  Add water, cream, cayenne, and salt.  Bring to boil.  Whisk in grits.  Reduce heat.  Stirring frequently, cook until thick and creamy.

Stir in 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, eggs, and pepper.  Transfer mixture to greased baking dish. Smooth top with spatula.

Refrigerate if not baking immediately.

[Part 2]

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top.  Bake for 15 minutes (until top is browned).

Remove from oven.  Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

• Like 2

The canned creamed corn is only corn and corn starch and water I thought?. What's so shockingly horrible about it? It's not anything like homemade creamed corn, but as an added ingredient, it doesn't seem scary to me. And frozen corn is just corn. Often it's better than grocery store ear corn because it's frozen very quickly after picking.

We usually only have corn in cornbread dressing on Thanksgiving. I've made the Jiffy corn casserole before. I usually make the "Jiffy" from scratch because I never keep it on hand and don't prefer sweet cornbread.

The canned creamed corn is only corn and corn starch and water I thought?. What's so shockingly horrible about it? It's not anything like homemade creamed corn, but as an added ingredient, it doesn't seem scary to me. And frozen corn is just corn. Often it's better than grocery store ear corn because it's frozen very quickly after picking.

We usually only have corn in cornbread dressing on Thanksgiving. I've made the Jiffy corn casserole before. I usually make the "Jiffy" from scratch because I never keep it on hand and don't prefer sweet cornbread.

It's just so gloppy. We eat so few canned goods. I do think fresh cut corn is amazingly better than frozen, though I use frozen in a lot of stuff. And out of season like this, it's probably better.