Menu

Teens who sleep through alarm clocks

Daria

DS17 will sleep through any alarm clock.  I don't mean he'll hit snooze, I mean the alarm clock can be blaring loud enough and he won't bat an eye.  He's got a sleep apnea diagnosis, which clearly plays a role in this.  He will also fall back asleep very easily if he's not up, showered, and drinking caffeine when I leave the house.

He's been asked to be the Assistant Stage Manager on a production at his college, which is very exciting, but he'll get home at 11:00 each night.  I need to leave for work before 7:00.  He does better with 8+ hours of sleep, which won't work if I wake him before I go.  I'd love to leave him sleeping, have him sleep a few more hours and then get up.  His earliest commitment during the week is at noon, which seems doable.

But in reality, he can sleep far past noon.  The other day he had an appointment at 2:00 and at 5:00, and slept through both of them!

Any ideas how to help him wake up when I'm not there?

Or several of those all at once. http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/creative-alarm-clocks/

A flying one. A running one. And as a motivation--he'd need to buy 3 of them with his own money. When I told DD she'd have to buy a sonic bomb with her own money she started waking up a bit better to her ipod alarm.

Most of those are based on the assumption that you notice the alarm and want it to turn off.  He honestly doesn't notice.

He accidentally set his alarm for 2 a.m. instead of 2 p.m. the other day.  There was absolutely no way I could sleep through it on the other end of the apartment, so i decided to wait and see how long it took him to notice and turn it off.  The alarm rang for an hour straight, sounding like a very loud rooster, then turned itself off.

So Clocky would be running around the apartment, annoying the dog, and he'd still be asleep.  I can guarantee it.

Sonic bomb might work.  I could try that.

I don't think it's a motivation issue. He's slept through a number of therapy sessions, and I've made him pay what insurance would have reimbursed me, since they don't reimburse for missed sessions and I still have to pay.  That didn't change anything. 

Honestly, if he's 17, I think it's time he try to figure it out himself.  That doesn't necessarily mean just leave with no strategies.  Maybe start by asking him just what he thinks can be done about it.  Explain that you know he needs at least 8 hrs of sleep, but that since he's going to be getting him late, that's going to be tough if you continue to be his alarm clock.  Ask him what he thinks is a reasonable wake up time, and then what he thinks he needs to get up for that. 

We've been having these conversations for years.  He's put as much effort into it as I have.

• Like 1

It's hard but part of being in college, and assistant stage manager is managing the rest of ones life. Ask him what kind of help he needs and then let it go. Okay you are mom and you can fret and worry but the biggest skill in life will be getting up for a job even if he's tired.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Have you tried an music alarm? My dd can sleep through all types of beeping alarms and even slept through about 30 minutes of our home alarm going off once. Any sort of siren or beeps she takes absolutely no notice of and continues to snooze. But the second I turn on music of some sort, she stirs immediately. So maybe a clock radio would work?

What do you do to wake him up? Do you shake him? Talk to him? Yell?

DD can sleep through various very loud, annoying alarms that resonate through our entire small house. Yes, she can sleep for a good hour with the alarm screaming. However, the moment I start creeping up the stairs with a wet cloth to put on her face (that was our Big Plan lol) she jumps up because she can somehow hear my footsteps.

Shaking and water spilling alarms were my next step, but now she wakes up to my footsteps. She asked for a recording of footsteps!

• Like 3

I don't have an answer, but my 19 yo has the same problem. We still haven't found an alarm that will wake him. He tries hard to make sure he gets enough sleep, gets up at a consistent time, and drinks a lot of water before he goes to bed. So far he hasn't taken a college class that starts before 9:30, but I don't know if he'll be able to get through 4 years that way. If he had to get up for an early class I think he'd be toast. It isn't that he isn't trying or doesn't want to, but like your ds he doesn't hear the alarm - at all.

My son has had the sonic boom with vibration attachment. He often slept through it. It will wake the neighbors. My dd also has one. She only used the vibration attachment and wakes up just fine. 

My ds also has sleep apnea and I so wish I'd gotten it diagnosed and had him have surgery when he was minor. I know this now because his younger brother, who despite multiple other diabilities, is very much physically like him. Younger brother was referred to an otolaryngologist and after sleep studies had addenoids, tonsils and part of his palate removed. He sleeps so much better. So, as a side note I think you should consider what interventions could be necessary if you have not already. Doing so made a huge difference in my younger ds's life. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity with oldest. 

My oldest ds, refuses really early shifts at work. In the last couple years he has figured out how to get himself to work/class/appointments by 10 am without issue. I think in his last year of college he's chipping away at 9 am. He has been asked to work at 5:30 am and he has refused and told his superiors he just cannot be counted on. It would mean a bump up in pay so there is incentive. ds has not been able to explain how he has managed to make this progress. There are still times when he can sleep until 5 pm. 

• Like 1

I would think that if a kid is routinely sleeping past 5 p.m. even after going to bed late, that seems like something that needs medical attention. Getting home at 11p.m., and then even taking two hours for winding down, and then not being able to be reliably awake in 10 hours or even by 2 p.m. or 5p.m...I'd be working with a doctor. (Maybe the O.P. already is)

• Like 5

What do you do to wake him up? Do you shake him? Talk to him? Yell?

DD can sleep through various very loud, annoying alarms that resonate through our entire small house. Yes, she can sleep for a good hour with the alarm screaming. However, the moment I start creeping up the stairs with a wet cloth to put on her face (that was our Big Plan lol) she jumps up because she can somehow hear my footsteps.

Shaking and water spilling alarms were my next step, but now she wakes up to my footsteps. She asked for a recording of footsteps!

DH would wake up to his sister on the stairs. She'd kick his bed. Edited by gardenmom5

Well dh can sleep through a FIRE ALARM (he slept through most of it in college once) lol so I get it. He sometimes has multiple alarms going off in the house... he will sometimes set 11 on his cell phone (a few min. apart) and then Alexa will be going off. I'm usually the one that wakes him to say Alexa is going off down the hall and can you shut it off.

My only advice is to make sure that he isn't staying up well past the time he gets home from work. Dh will work late and then stay up late watching TV sometimes. I think that adds to the problem.

• Like 1

I will say, teenagers have a biology that predisposes them to go to bed later and sleep later in the morning. Just like older folks tend to go to bed early and wake up pretty early too. So.....if he doesn't have something to do early in the morning (ie an early class or something) then I think it's ok, at 17, for him to set his alarm later in the day. So, if he's getting home at 11, he's probably not getting to sleep until at least midnight (which is common, most folks need a bit of time to unwind when they get home from work) then I think it's totally fine to set his alarm for say, 9 or 10. It's just a matter of making sure he's up by at least 10 am.

Yes, that would be ideal, but I have yet to find an alarm that will wake him at 10:00.

His earliest commitment on campus is a 12:30, so in am ideal world he'd get up at 10:00 every day, but I don't know how to make that happen.

Fitbit is a good idea. We have tried sounds, bells, roosters etc . .

We live in an apartment so he is familiar with night time fire alarms. He has never woken for one.

I had a sleeping issue in high school. Waking up to an alarm wasn't the issue, but there was an issue. My doctor put me on a medication to prevent me from entering deep sleep. It was tortuous. I was on the drug for three months. I never felt like I went to sleep (Which WAS the point). However, once off the medication my body stopped going to sleep AS deeply and I was able to wake up when needed.

Even now, I do not wake up in the night. Ever.

OP, I assume you've talked to your doctor. But if not I would. Sleeping that deeply doesn't seen healthy when the amount of sleep is adequate.

As an aside, I'm not necessarily recommending drugs. I HATED it. But it worked. And in hindsight, I'm glad my parents opted for it as a last resort.

How is his sleep apnea being treated?

Is he on any medications that affect sleep?

We have done surgery, and pretty aggressive allergy treatment to treat the apnea. He has a cpap machine but has not been able to sleep with it on.

He takes antidepressants which have reduced his sleep needs dramatically. Hypersomnia is definitely a depression symptom for him. He also takes allergy meds that can cause sleepiness, but it seems as though the positive impact on his apnea outweighs the sleepiness with the meds as things are better with than without.

Keep working on getting him on the cpap. Or maybe even a bipap. I couldn't handle the cpap, but I can the bipap. That took a while to get used it but it gets better.

What about light? I can sleep through anything music, alarms, kids, etc. But I will wake up to light. I have a clock that alarms then starts flashing a light. It takes some time but it does eventually wake me up.

• Like 2

We have done surgery, and pretty aggressive allergy treatment to treat the apnea. He has a cpap machine but has not been able to sleep with it on.

He takes antidepressants which have reduced his sleep needs dramatically. Hypersomnia is definitely a depression symptom for him. He also takes allergy meds that can cause sleepiness, but it seems as though the positive impact on his apnea outweighs the sleepiness with the meds as things are better with than without.

I was also going to suggest trying a bi-pap, that is what my husband had to do.

Also, antidepressants can affect sleep cycle so he may need to try taking them at different times of day to see what works best for him.

Getting the sleep apnea under control could help alleviate depressive symptoms as well.

Keep working on getting him on the cpap. Or maybe even a bipap. I couldn't handle the cpap, but I can the bipap. That took a while to get used it but it gets better.

What about light? I can sleep through anything music, alarms, kids, etc. But I will wake up to light. I have a clock that alarms then starts flashing a light. It takes some time but it does eventually wake me up.

His bed is right under a large window.  I go into his room and open the blinds all the way before I go to work, in hopes that it will help.  Maybe it does somewhat, but clearly not a lot since the last marathon sleep day was a sunny one.

That's interesting about bipap.  His sleep doctor recently quit seeing patients, so we're going to move to a new one.  I will ask them about this.

Another angle.  I used to have a terrible time waking up, and it was a blood sugar problem.  Maybe adjusting a bedtime snack will make it easier for him?

That's interesting.  When he was a preschooler he had a terrible time waking up from naps at daycare (He napped for at least 2 hours until the Friday before Kindergarten).  He would be inconsolable for 10 - 15 minutes.  His teacher decided it was a blood sugar issue and would hand him a cookie the second he woke, which seemed to work.  I always thought that the cookie just distracted him, but I guess it's possible I was wrong.  

I should say that sleeping soundly and having difficulty waking has been a characteristic of his since very early infancy.  He had pretty significant respiratory issues as a baby, although he did not have sleep apnea then, and we did something called chest PT which basically involved a very loud nebulizer treatment, followed by flipping him into different positions while banging on his chest and back with a cupped hand.  He regularly slept through the entire 45 minute process.  

I wonder if they have body alarms that involve shocks? That would work great for my husband who sleeps through everything. Some days it's me waking him up that is what does it, because the alarms just don't do the trick.

He also slept through a fire alarm in college :p

I wonder if they have body alarms that involve shocks? That would work great for my husband who sleeps through everything. Some days it's me waking him up that is what does it, because the alarms just don't do the trick.

He also slept through a fire alarm in college :p

LOL, I think I need Wallace and Gromit to come invent something for us.  

• Like 1

For a laugh, ....

My uncle had the job of waking up his younger brother. It took my uncle a lot of time and effort to get his brother up. So one morning uncle grabbed the shot gun, and shot a giant hole in the head board of the bed. To this day his younger brother gets up quickly and easily.

• Like 3

That is your answer. He has a sleep apnea problem and he isn't using the cpap. Until he uses the cpap and is getting enough "good" quality sleep he won't get up at a normal time. Talk to your doctor about different face pieces that might be more comfortable, try a few bad nights of not getting to sleep with the cpap on until he gets comfortable it, and conside a short term medication to get him to fall asleep if this a major issue.

Also, there was a fire safety video with kids who slept thru fire alarms and the same kids woke up to recordings of their mother saying, "wake up, there is a fire". Maybe try recording your voice as an alarm.

Good luck!

• Like 3

That is your answer. He has a sleep apnea problem and he isn't using the cpap. Until he uses the cpap and is getting enough "good" quality sleep he won't get up at a normal time. Talk to your doctor about different face pieces that might be more comfortable, try a few bad nights of not getting to sleep with the cpap on until he gets comfortable it, and conside a short term medication to get him to fall asleep if this a major issue.

It can be very hard to wake up in the morning if you have sleep apnea. It will take awhile to get used to it. The best advice I got was to sleep with it as long as I could then take it off. It started with an hour and in month I could sleep all night. Now I can't sleep without it.

• Like 3

This thread is amusing. Some people are saying their voice will be enough to wake someone. I can have a whole conversation with dh and he doesn't remember any of it because we find out later he was still asleep.

Maybe conversation is an exaggeration, but some type of question/answer or statement/reply. Sometimes his answers give away the fact that he's not really aware.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2

Also, there was a fire safety video with kids who slept thru fire alarms and the same kids woke up to recordings of their mother saying, "wake up, there is a fire". Maybe try recording your voice as an alarm.

Good luck!

We have put a great deal of effort into trying it.  We've done about 3 trials of a month or so each, and it takes him hours to fall asleep, and then he rips it off within the first 10 minutes.  We've tried incentives, but they don't work on behavior that happens when you're asleep, at least not for him.  Each time, the cumulative sleep loss from those night added up to the point where his anxiety was through the roof, and he wasn't able to go to school or other activities, so we'd stop, wait for a break from school, and try again.  

I have to say I was shocked that he struggled with this.  This is the kid that slept through nebulizer treatments for years, has fallen fast asleep on the table during tests, and once fell asleep in an MRI machine (unsedated).  I'm curious that other people say bipap is better, and plan to ask the doctor of that.

I will try recording my voice.  He doesn't usually wake up to just my voice, he needs me to touch him and shake him away, but maybe if we did a fitbit, combined with a voice alarm that went off at the same time, it would be enough?  Especially if it was 10 or more hours after he went to sleep so his body was rested. 

This thread is amusing. Some people are saying their voice will be enough to wake someone. I can have a whole conversation with dh and he doesn't remember any of it because we find out later he was still asleep.

Maybe conversation is an exaggeration, but some type of question/answer or statement/reply. Sometimes his answers give away the fact that he's not really aware.

My mom was like this.  We'd come in at night, and check in to tell her we were home and she'd have long conversations.  Sometimes, during those conversations she's give us permission to do things, or promise to pick us up somewhere the next day, and then have no memory.  

My younger brother constantly used this to his advantage.  He'd do something, and then when caught say innocently "You gave me permission last night when I was coming home from Jake's" or "But I called and asked, last night around midnight.  You said sure, go ahead."  and my mother would believe him.  

I should note that DS is adopted, because otherwise, I would think it was genetic.  

We used to wake my mom up when we'd get in for the night. She would ask us all about where we'd been, who was there, and what the house looked like (on the inside - she was curious). Then, she would tell us to get to bed. In the morning, she would accuse us of not waking her up!

I have a kid who will sleep through multiple alarms (set 5-15 minutes apart) and will sometimes answer questions, but not really be awake. She gets up pretty well when people physically bug her. She did great at camp as long as the roommate was there to shut the alarm off & make sure she was up. I'm  :lurk5: because someday we'll have to deal with this.

We used to wake my mom up when we'd get in for the night. She would ask us all about where we'd been, who was there, and what the house looked like (on the inside - she was curious). Then, she would tell us to get to bed. In the morning, she would accuse us of not waking her up!

I have a kid who will sleep through multiple alarms (set 5-15 minutes apart) and will sometimes answer questions, but not really be awake. She gets up pretty well when people physically bug her. She did great at camp as long as the roommate was there to shut the alarm off & make sure she was up. I'm  :lurk5: because someday we'll have to deal with this.

I am hoping that he can pay his college roommate to wake him up.  It's the only plan I can think of.  

• Like 4

I am hoping that he can pay his college roommate to wake him up.  It's the only plan I can think of.  

In some of the sororities I toured during rush, there was a designated person who woke every one up that day. The job rotated through the girls. There was a big board, with everyone's names and times on it and you put your name by what time you wanted to be up. (and it had your bunk number). Everyone slept in one room, called a sleeping porch (but it wasn't a porch) with bunk beds. The room was always dark, always cool, and always quiet. There were no alarm clocks allowed, hence the assigned job of waking people up. (maybe alarms were allowed during the day, after a certain time, for naps? Not sure.)  I thought that was brilliant. My sorority also had a sleeping porch but did allow alarms. After a while you learned to sleep through everyone but yours, supposedly. I didn't sleep there though...I was a bad girl shacking up with my boyfriend/fiance at the time. 

Oh, and we had sleeping porches for safety. I was at FSU, where Bundy snuck into a sorority house a few doors down from the one I joined. Sleeping all together meant that if someone yelled or struggled, another person was likely to hear. Safety in numbers. We still had rooms, but those rooms had a desk and dresser and closet, not a bed. 4 girls to a room in most cases. Then a communal bathroom (with closed shower stalls, etc). And one separate bathroom with a tub and toilet. Supposedly for taking a bubble bath,but mostly it was used to poop in, so no one would hear you, lol. 

• Like 1

In some of the sororities I toured during rush, there was a designated person who woke every one up that day. The job rotated through the girls. There was a big board, with everyone's names and times on it and you put your name by what time you wanted to be up. (and it had your bunk number). Everyone slept in one room, called a sleeping porch (but it wasn't a porch) with bunk beds. The room was always dark, always cool, and always quiet. There were no alarm clocks allowed, hence the assigned job of waking people up. (maybe alarms were allowed during the day, after a certain time, for naps? Not sure.)  I thought that was brilliant. My sorority also had a sleeping porch but did allow alarms. After a while you learned to sleep through everyone but yours, supposedly. I didn't sleep there though...I was a bad girl shacking up with my boyfriend/fiance at the time. 

Oh, and we had sleeping porches for safety. I was at FSU, where Bundy snuck into a sorority house a few doors down from the one I joined. Sleeping all together meant that if someone yelled or struggled, another person was likely to hear. Safety in numbers. We still had rooms, but those rooms had a desk and dresser and closet, not a bed. 4 girls to a room in most cases. Then a communal bathroom (with closed shower stalls, etc). And one separate bathroom with a tub and toilet. Supposedly for taking a bubble bath,but mostly it was used to poop in, so no one would hear you, lol. 

Hmmmm, maybe I should put FSU on his list.  Think the sororities would take him?

Hmmmm, maybe I should put FSU on his list.  Think the sororities would take him?

LOL. 

I'd say the fraternities might do something similar, but I'd be lying. They don't. Fraternities and sororities aren't even on the same planet as to the types of organizations they were. I was shocked at the difference. We had a house mom, required study hours, and a dining plan. they had...well...a place to sleep and sometimes they ordered pizza as a group. 

We have put a great deal of effort into trying it. We've done about 3 trials of a month or so each, and it takes him hours to fall asleep, and then he rips it off within the first 10 minutes. We've tried incentives, but they don't work on behavior that happens when you're asleep, at least not for him. Each time, the cumulative sleep loss from those night added up to the point where his anxiety was through the roof, and he wasn't able to go to school or other activities, so we'd stop, wait for a break from school, and try again.

I have to say I was shocked that he struggled with this. This is the kid that slept through nebulizer treatments for years, has fallen fast asleep on the table during tests, and once fell asleep in an MRI machine (unsedated). I'm curious that other people say bipap is better, and plan to ask the doctor of that.

I will try recording my voice. He doesn't usually wake up to just my voice, he needs me to touch him and shake him away, but maybe if we did a fitbit, combined with a voice alarm that went off at the same time, it would be enough? Especially if it was 10 or more hours after he went to sleep so his body was rested.

Does his machine have a ramp up feature?

Mine starts barely on and ramps up over an hour. Usually by then I am asleep. If I am not, I often restart it. A proper fitting mask is key to success. Some people will have to try dozens of masks.

I couldn't handle the constant pressure of the cpap. The bipap pressure goes on and off like natural breathing. With the cpap, I felt like I was suffocating because of the pressure. I felt like I was fighting it. I don't know if that makes sense. It was the worst experience of my life. Definitely, see if you can try a bipap.

I also have to use a humidifier with it. I keep it really low but it made such a difdefence for me. It can be tough to figure out the best combination.

• Like 1

Does his machine have a ramp up feature?

Mine starts barely on and ramps up over an hour. Usually by then I am asleep. If I am not, I often restart it. A proper fitting mask is key to success. Some people will have to try dozens of masks.

I couldn't handle the constant pressure of the cpap. The bipap pressure goes on and off like natural breathing. With the cpap, I felt like I was suffocating because of the pressure. I felt like I was fighting it. I don't know if that makes sense. It was the worst experience of my life. Definitely, see if you can try a bipap.

I also have to use a humidifier with it. I keep it really low but it made such a difdefence for me. It can be tough to figure out the best combination.

It does have the ramp, but it hasn't been enough.

I am curious about bipap.  I will ask about it at our next appointment.

It is important to get it figured out. I have a cpap. My dh has a bipap with added oxygen. When my dh was waiting for the sleep study, he was so sleep deprived that he was falling asleep constantly. Like, he would be sitting chopping onions and would fall asleep. Or he would be talking and stop mid-sentence because he was asleep. I never got that bad, but I was tired all.the.time.

Basically, his sleep isn't working.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was that teen. I hated it when people assumed I was lazy and if only I tried or wanted to I could get up. I could not. I did everything including foregoing a social life in order to try to go to sleep at an earlier time. Nothing worked except age. I did not and do not have a sleep apnea dx.

Let him know it gets easier as he gets older and to keep trying. Tell him some random person on the internet says he is not lazy. ;)

Now I am old and wake up at the same time no matter what time I go to sleep.

I was that teen. I hated it when people assumed I was lazy and if only I tried or wanted to I could get up. I could not. I did everything including foregoing a social life in order to try to go to sleep at an earlier time. Nothing worked except age. I did not and do not have a sleep apnea dx.

Let him know it gets easier as he gets older and to keep trying. Tell him some random person on the internet says he is not lazy. ;)

Now I am old and wake up at the same time no matter what time I go to sleep.

But this kid does have a sleep apnea diagnosis, there is no reason to think he will grow out of that.

Of course he is not lazy. He does however need appropriate treatment.