Menu

Any good shows on Netflix for mom & daughter to watch together....

1GirlTwinBoys

I am watching Gilmore Girls with my daughter. What keeps coming to mind is how Stars Hollow reminds me of Cicely, Alaska in Northern Exposure as each town has its own personality and the characters peopling the town are unique and humorous. Taylor in Stars Hollow is Maurice in Cicely, Luke is Holling, Lorelai is Maggie, Kirk is (a much less sophisticated version of) Ed. The one big difference is that there is no mother daughter duo in Cicely which I think is my daughter's favorite part of Gilmore Girls.

• Like 1

Nothing is as good as Gilmore Girls, but I really enjoyed Switched at Birth. It's about 2 girls that find out in high school that they were switched. One of the families is a single mom and she moves into the other families guest house so that both families can get to know both girls. One of the girls is deaf- and she probably wouldn't be if she had been with her birth family. Because of the difference in their access to health care. It's an interesting show.

My daughters and I loved the BBC's Little Dorrit series.  Each episode was about 30 minutes long.  

I just checked though and it seems it's available on Amazon Prime but not Netflix.  I've heard there was going to be a BBC-type Netflix.  I wonder if that is up and running yet?

How old is your daughter?

Parenthood

White Collar (not girly, but generally entertaining, crime drama without being gory, and it was generally pretty clean -- I don't know that my teenager would find it interesting, but there really wasn't much objectionable compared to what's on TV these days)

When Calls the Heart (although I've only watched a few episodes)

Fuller House

Switched at Birth (although the first seasons are better than the last, IMO)

Army Wives (maybe -- depending on how old your daughter is -- it was generally pretty clean, but the themes may be too adult, stuff like deployment separation, PTSD, that sort of thing -- I don't know if it would appeal to my 14yo DD or not)

Call the Midwife, if she's not sensitive to blood/gore -- again, my 14yo would like it a lot, but it's juuuuust skirting the edge of what I think would be appropriate for her, theme-wise.  Another year or two, I think, but I tend to be a shelterer.

(I never saw Gilmore Girls, so I don't know how it compared to some of those, theme-wise.)

Mrs. Fisher's Mysteries  - It's Australian!! Love the accents. Strong female lead roles.

Heartland

Merlin

Psych

Midsomer Murders (some graphic scenes in certain episodes)

Not on Netflix, but on youtube: All Creatures Great and Small  (James Herriot books made into a wonderful TV series from the 80s)