Menu

baking question Re: scones

athomeontheprairie

My daughter wants to make this recipe, but instead of dried fruit she wants to use blueberries. Good idea or bad idea. She needs to bake ... something for a project and wants to use the blueberries and make scones. She likes this recipe, but needs to know if she can make that substitution, and I don't know. I don't know if it would be good, or if she should be looking at another recipe.

Thoughts?

**I am neither a cook or a baker. I wish I was, but alas, I hate it.Thanks hive for your expertise**

I would look for a recipe designed for fresh fruit. Blueberries will have a higher water content than dried fruit and may make the dough too wet. It is possible to alter the recipe that you already have but it usually requires a bit of experience to know how much to alter it. 

• Like 2

There are tons of blueberry scone recipes out there. I wouldn't sub in fresh fruit for dried fruit without reworking the recipe. It's easier to find a recipe that already accounts for the fresh fruit. Also, most decent blueberry baked goods incorporate lemon for a reason- draws out the flavor contrast better. All this said, short dough is forgiving to many modifications.

• Like 3

This is another fresh fruit option that is easier imo. Also by Mary Berry. http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/raspberry-scones/ Basic British scones really don't contain buttermilk. Years ago I managed to completely crack up a group of elderly ladies who were great cooks by asking where they bought their buttermilk because it was not sold in the village store for these wonderful scones (while polishing of several ;) ). They couldn't believe Americans put buttermilk in their scones! You do need self rising flour.....

http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/raspberry-scones/

• Like 2

This is another fresh fruit option that is easier imo. Also by Mary Berry. http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/raspberry-scones/ Basic British scones really don't contain buttermilk. Years ago I managed to completely crack up a group of elderly ladies who were great cooks by asking where they bought their buttermilk because it was not sold in the village store for these wonderful scones (while polishing of several ;) ). They couldn't believe Americans put buttermilk in their scones! You do need self rising flour.....

http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/raspberry-scones/

My first introduction to buttermilk was via Peanuts cartoons. I didn't see it on shelves until I returned to the UK a few years ago.

• Like 1

Silly me. Our "fresh" berries in the winter in Canada come from California. They taste like wood. Where do you get your imported berries from?

I don't buy out of season either generally. Ours come from the farm down the road or my local farmer's market. That being said I do buy other fruit and veg out of season and it comes from all over. I remember buying lovely grapes from Chile lastt winter. I think generally Spain, Morocco, and other African countries provide most of the out of season produce.

A little off topic.... Blue berries came into the stores - the fresh good ones, not last years crop. We've been eating them right from the bowl, but we wanted something different.

So, last night I put two huge double handfuls in a mixing bowl, stirred in a dry cake mix to coat them and then added just enough water to make it pourable. No eggs, no oil, nothing but blueberries and water in the cake mix. Baked in a small cake pan until done (40 minutes?)

Most Scrumptious Blueberry Cake Ever. The cake mix was some sort of birthday confetti flavor so is quite colorful with big blueberries floating in it, but I think next time I will try with a lemon cake mix.

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 1