Menu

Modern music for an old fogey

Onceuponatime

Could you recommend any modern artists that do folk/acoustic natural style music? I like ballads and happy/feel good songs. I don't like heavy beats, techno sound, six word repetitions, or break up songs. I did some searching on YouTube and kind of like Jason Mraz. Any other suggestions for someone who still loves Peter, Paul, and Mary, and Simon and Garfunkel?

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 1

My daughter (and I, but she is the young one) recommends:

Fitz and the Tantrums

Kodaline

Andrew McMahon

Cage the Elephant

Bastille (as has been mentioned)

She said some of their songs are sad, but most are pretty upbeat.

One of the best things about having teens is the exposure to new music.  Of course a person can find new music on their own, but it's easier with a teen in the house. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

Train - we love Hey Soul Sister, Save Me San Francisco, Meet Virginia, pretty much all of their stuff, we are seeing them in concert for the third time next month, and we used a few of their songs in our wedding.

I LOVE Andy Grammer, he is front lining for the concert next month and I cannot wait.

Definitely love some of the other suggestions.

Do you have a local folk/ acoustic music scene?

We have quite a few locals here that play that sort of thing at coffee houses & summer park concerts.

I listen to those & then mostly my faves from decades ago:)

Pandora through our Roku has all sorts of "folk" style channels too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to second so many of the recommendations here. Many that I listen to and was nodding. Many I look forward to checking out.

One I didn't see mentioned that jumps through jazz/folk/pop in one fell swoop is

Andrew Bird

His music changes by album though...if you don't like one try another. He likes to experiment :-)

• Like 1

Any winners Onceuponatime? Sometimes feedback helps with suggestions. 

Oh, and The Avett Brothers. Can't believe I left them off the list. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5CMDmxtpbc

I saw The Avett Brothers play years ago and thought they sounded great. It's not exactly my genre, but I love bands that pull out all kinds of weird instruments.

Has anyone mentioned The Decembrists? My 17yo loves them. We saw them at the Hollywood Bowl, perfect outdoor band for a beautiful evening. :) Gotta love the accordion! 

• Like 2

Could you recommend any modern artists that do folk/acoustic natural style music?

I don't know how one would define the style of these artists, but I like them.  One caveat: I don't really listen to the lyrics so I can't speak to the content.

October Project

Happy Rhodes (she has an incredible range)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

How about Little Suns?

Ah, a song from a favorite show!  ;)  

OP, I am sorry, I didn't mean to hijack.  :)  I don't have any suggestions for you as I'm a huge fan of hip hop, rap, and heavy bass in anything lol.  :)  Glad you are getting lots of responses from others who know more of the genre you are looking for!

• Like 1