Menu

Do you sell kids clothes at resale shops?

mommyoffive

I have so much to get rid of and I just want it out now.  Do you sell at resale shops?  Which ones? 

Do you get decent money for the stuff your stuff that way? 

Or tell me how you get rid of all your kid stuff.

I sell at a consignment sale twice a year. As a seller, I then get into the sale early and get the best selection--that's actually been better for me financially than the selling itself.

If I bought an item new for $20, I can resell it with a price tag of around $8 if it's in good condition, and the sale takes about half, so I net around $4.

But if I'm the one buying an item for $8 when I would've paid $20 if necessary, I've saved $12.

Then when I sell it back (assuming it's still good), I might sell it for $7, netting another $3 or so.

Edited by whitehawk

When I had littles years ago, I sold some on ebay. I stopped because it wasn't worth my time for the bids I was getting.

Check out the policies of your local consignment stores. Many split the cost 50/50, but you don't get your 50% until the item sells. They have a cycle of time until they discount their original price - which is usually pretty short. If your item doesn't sell, you can either pick it back up or they donate it.

I just donate the outgrown clothes now. We have a women's shelter and a charity that collects clothing for emergency foster placements. I'd rather have a tax receipt than the hassle of consigning items. YMMV

I used to.

We had a decent one where I lived when the girls were babies, but then I discovered how great garage sales did in our apartment complex and was able to sell off larger quantities without splitting the sale.

I tried a semi-annual event thing around here a couple of years back and didn't do well, but I had fewer things to offer at the time.

Now I have younger nieces and nephews, so I just pass on anything my kids have managed not to destroy.

No. I always passed the outgrown clothes on to friends who could use it for their children.

This way, the stuff was out of the house, and I felt good that the things could help another family. 

In our homeschool playgroup, the giveaway pile is a standing institution; anybody who has items they no longer need brings it to playgroup to give the other families first dibs before the remainder goes to Goodwill. Nobody asks for money. What goes around comes around. Even as mom of the oldest kids who could not inherit any hand me down clothes, I have benefited from the system.

Edited by regentrude

My kids' clothes are mostly hand-me-downs or Goodwill/Epic Thrift finds. Anything still in good shape when outgrown is handed down or dropped at Goodwill. Anything ratty goes to Goodwill because they have a recycling/resale program that will sell them for rags if all else fails.

Around here there is only a local owned consignment shop.  The way it work at this place is anything you bring in becomes their property (meaning if it doesn't pass their standards test they pass it to a local charity).  The items are then tagged with your #.  If the item sells you get 40% of what it sold for.  After a certain amount of time if your items don't sell they go to charity.

Yes I use this place but only send things I am almost certain they will take.  The rest I give away to friends.

Oh and this place takes infant through adult clothes.  My dc are in adult clothes.

I don't make much (we wear most our stuff out) but it is easy to start a box and drop it off when I am out.  Then I get a few dollars here and there.

Edited by Baseball mom

We have Once Upon a Child and a similar store that pay you up front. I haven't sold my clothes there because you get next to nothing for them. I prefer the tax donation or passing them on.

I have done a consignment sale, I had mixed feelings on whether it was worth it. I had quite a bit of name brand things to sell but people still expected a bargain and there was a couple evenings of prep work. I think I got $125 for a large Rubbermaid tote of clothes and a laundry basket of random baby gear. I did not find it worth it for gear, selling on Craigslist is better for that.

Edited by Rach

Recently I took items to two shops. One is a chain -- Once Upon a Child. They offered me a quote (I had to leave about 20 min. or browse until they were ready with the quote). I brought in 5 dress shirts/ties sets (good condition. Ds hardly wore any of them), some shoes (one pair never worn, the other pair worn twice and only on a baby and not walked around in outside) and a dress shirt/vest/pants combo. They passed on the sweater and one hoodie (said they don't sell as well but I notice they kept the hoodie with Mickey Mouse) and one pair of used shoes, but took the other items. I got $8 for the pile. I felt kinda disappointed, but happy it was better than nothing. Oh yeah, I also took in a bouncer but they said the battery compartment was icky. I didn't know and asked could I bring it back if I cleaned it up and it worked. They said sure, but refused to give a quote saying for items like that they rely on Google for a price and mark it down from there. They said the quote could change depending on what day they looked it up. I took the bouncer (cleaned up, new batteries) and the rejected shoes, hoodie, sweater and two pair of never used swim shoes and a pair of pants to another shop. They gave me a choice between store credit or cash. For the bouncer they put it up for consignment, for the rest they gave me a quote and I chose store credit as it was more. Once Upon a Child said they would not offer more store credit than cash, though. I got a total of $7.50 store credit if I recall correctly. They had a sale going on and I got a top and shorts for dd on the spot and have a few more dollars left to redeem later.

I am uncertain of their math equation working out properly at Once Upon a Child. The dress shirts/ties were in good condition and bought for $10 each. Supposedly they take retail price and cut in half. So that means they would sell for $5 (maybe less because not new with tags?). Then I would get half of that. So you'd think I'd get around $2.50 a shirt, but again, maybe not because they were not new with tags. So I definitely got less than $2.50 a shirt because I walked away with $8 and gave them five shirts plus a couple other items.

I don't live close to many consignment stores, we just took these items to stores near our family while visiting for the holiday. I don't know if it's worth the hassle to set the items aside and take on trips with us, especially since they will not be accepting the items at the store we prefer the next time we visit (they don't take items at the end of the year at one of the stores. I think OUAC takes them year round). I may or may not save items for next year. It is better than nothing, but not if the clutter drives me bonkers.

In our homeschool playgroup, the giveaway pile is a standing institution; anybody who has items they no longer need brings it to playgroup to give the other families first dibs before the remainder goes to Goodwill. Nobody asks for money. What goes around comes around. Even as mom of the oldest kids who could not inherit any hand me down clothes, I have benefited from the system.

That's what we do here.  The nice thing is that you can get things out of the house on a regular basis, rather than waiting for some kind of event.  It's a wonderful feeling for me and my kids to go to a hsing event and see a bunch of kids wearing our previously-loved garments, some of which have been through more than one kid in the group.  And by putting things out there for free, we've built a "what goes around comes around" kind of community, where many things are shared and we all help each other live more frugally.  It's a very positive approach.

• Like 1

If I have name-brand items, I take them to the local resale store and get cash or store credit.  I took a big, plastic tub in a few months ago and got around $80.  Another time, I took the same amount of items in but got $40ish.  I think it depends on their stock, the item, etc.

If I have Walmart/Target clothes (which our "upscale resale" doesn't accept), I donate them or give them to friends with smaller kids.  Same for clothes that have more wear/tear.  

For things like Lands End or Hannah Anderson dresses, I sell them on ebay because I'll get more that way.

If the item is a brand-name item that is in good condition still, I sometimes try and sell them on eBay.  Otherwise, if they're still in pretty good condition, I bag them up and bring them to our local consignment store.  I don't make a lot of money, but there's usually always a little cash there in our account, so if my kids needs something, they might pop over there and just use the cash credit in our account to get something else at the same store.

I have so much to get rid of and I just want it out now.  Do you sell at resale shops?  Which ones? 

Do you get decent money for the stuff your stuff that way? 

Or tell me how you get rid of all your kid stuff.

I tried it, but they give you almost nothing and want to extract all kinds of personal information just to do it.  That's also a problem at Half Price books.

I usually just give it all away.  Occasionally, you can get a few dollars on Craigslist. 

I sell, buy and work at a very large local consignment sale, not a shop. Twice a year.

No sales tax. 

Also a bigger cut for me. The shops take a bigger cut because they do the tagging and are paying all the overhead costs. As a worker at my sale, I get to shop early and do not pay the consignor fee (about $12). The split is 70/30.

Easily 75% of my kids' clothes come from this sale. Very nice and very cheap. 

No I don't. Maybe I have had bad luck, but the few times I have tried garage sales, or once upon a child it just wasn't worth it. My time and energy are more valuable than what I get when I try to sell. Besides, we rarely spend money on clothes...we get lots of hand me downs, my mom buys a lot at Goodwill etc, so I just donate them or pass them along to our nieces (if they are super cute, since I have to mail those)

I regularly patronized a local consignment shop.  they are still in operation - 32 years after I started going there.  the daughters of the women who started  it are now running it.

I get something -and they are so busy they can choose what they accept.  I also bought a lot of kid clothes there over the years.  (especially girl). I've even bought baby presents considering the number of baby things that still had tags.

When my teenagers were little, it was worth my while to sell at places like Once Upon A Child. Not only did they pay better, but you earned more if you accepted store credit. I like that because I had several close in age and could always find stuff to buy. I had mostly boys and earned more the older they got because boy clothes in great condition were in higher demand. But I stopped selling there with my youngest because they stopped paying as well and began raising their sale prices. I used to laugh when I saw Old Navy and Circo/Target brands in there USED for more than I know it cost NEW at the actual, real retailer. Lame!

I used to shop for my boys at the once yearly consignment sale. It was called something like Just Between Friends, I think? I didn't sell there, though. Too lazy. I started donating them to my parish garage sale or giving them to friends. I earned more in a tax write-off and it felt just as good as selling. Maybe better because I would become unreasonably agitated by how little OUAC was willing to give me. Rationally I knew they were a business and needed to earn a profit but in the moment I'd just get annoyed at how little they thought my stuff was worth LOL.

My boys don't outgrow stuff any more. My daughter still does. Anything the boys don't want, or that the girl outgrows, is "donated" to my son's annual garage sale.

• Like 1

I have sold some to a local consignment shop. It has to be my better stuff and a desirable brand, so I don't have tons.

Is it worth it? Kind of, yeah. They only cut checks a couple times a year, so the payout can't be anything you're desperate for. They deduct a "check processing fee" which annoys me, making a small payout even smaller.

Sometimes, though, I just want things to go away right NOW, in which case I just donate and call it good karma.