Menu

What do they really need for the dorm?

kewb

In two years of moving DS in/out of a dorm I don't recall ever seeing a single student with a printer. I can't imagine why anyone would want or need to have one in a dorm room. But now I'm wondering . . . DS is moving into an off campus apartment in August and he hasn't mentioned needing or wanting to bring a printer there. I suspect he sees no need for it. He has mentioned that he needs a quesadilla maker. :lol:

• Like 2

In two years of moving DS in/out of a dorm I don't recall ever seeing a single student with a printer. I can't imagine why anyone would want or need to have one in a dorm room. But now I'm wondering . . . DS is moving into an off campus apartment in August and he hasn't mentioned needing or wanting to bring a printer there. I suspect he sees no need for it. He has mentioned that he needs a quesadilla maker. :lol:

Ohmygosh, my 18yo is utterly sustained by quesadillas. I had no idea there was such a thing as a "quesadilla maker"... off to google...

The need for a printer may vary not only by school and access to printers/need for them via electronic submission.

But also by the major within the school and by the student (ie. my DS always wants to print a draft so he can spot corrections - he knows he's more likely to see them on paper than on a screen) ... as I said I moved my DS into a dorm without one and he started asking for one soon after.

• Like 3

I am going to wait until ds asks for the hammock.

Got it about the alarm clock. I think it is an excellent idea. I will have to ask him if he will remember to use it.

I have a quesadilla maker. My MIL got it for me after I asked her for a tortilla press because I wanted to try my hand at making tortillas. In her head she heard "make your own tortillas. She must have meant this." Turns out dd loves the thing. She makes quesadillas frequently. So much easier then using the pan in her world. I will admit to enjoying it more than I thought I would. Ds hates quesadillas so he will never try to take mine.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 1

I am worried that ds will be bombarded with other kids asking to use his printer if he has his own. Seems to me the kind of situation where it can be hard to say no without looking like a jerk but can be costly and inconvenient for others to be using. Has anyone had this issue?

Student owned printers weren't so common when I was a student.  There was one in each dorm section office (shared by about 500 students).  I was an English major and I learned where all of the underused printers were in the writing center or the 3rd floor of the library.

A few people on my floor had printers.  I sometimes asked to print in their room.  Usually the practice was to buy a soda for the owner.  I remember being very nice to the guy with a daisy wheel printer because it was so much nicer looking.

• Like 1

I suspect most things will be submitted online.  The college tuition does cover $20 of printing per sememster.  5 cents per page for black and white and 35 cents per page for color.

Printer will be going with him. Along with an ink supply.

Even though most papers will be submitted online, the student should still print the paper for editing and proofing. Most people do much better with this when they are not reading on a screen.

There may also be lecture notes, worksheets, files made available online that the student would want to have on paper to work with - unless you have a good tablet and stylus.

• Like 3

In two years of moving DS in/out of a dorm I don't recall ever seeing a single student with a printer. I can't imagine why anyone would want or need to have one in a dorm room. 

Your paper is due in two hours, you want to do a final edit and proof read which works much better on actual paper - you're not heading to campus to print it out in the library. Not if you're short on time, not if it's in the middle of the night, not if your dorm is 15 minutes walk from campus.

And some profs insist on hard copy submission of papers.

You have a reading assignment that has been posted as a pdf. You want to read thoroughly, underline, write comments in the margin - most people prefer to do that on paper. You won't get to it until you're home at 9pm. If you have printer, you don't have to worry about finding time to go to the library in between classes and print it there - you're home ANYWAY where your printer is.

(If I work from home, I don't bother to drive into work to print stuff there; it is way more convenient to just do it at home where I work.)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

Your paper is due in two hours, you want to do a final edit and proof read which works much better on actual paper - you're not heading to campus to print it out in the library. Not if you're short on time, not if it's in the middle of the night, not if your dorm is 15 minutes walk from campus.

You have a reading assignment that has been posted as a pdf. You want to read thoroughly, underline, write comments in the margin - most people prefer to do that on paper. You won't get to it until you're home at 9pm. If you have printer, you don't have to worry about finding time to go to the library in between classes and print it there - you're home ANYWAY where your printer is.

(If I work from home, I don't bother to drive into work to print stuff there; it is way more convenient to just do it at home where I work.)

The dorms at DS's university all have printing stations. Worst case scenario (in a large dorm) the student would need to take the elevator or stairs up/down a few flights. For most of them it's more like a 15 to 30 second walk to the printer in the study lounge on their floor.  Really -- not a big deal at all

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

The dorms at DS's university all have printing stations. Worst case scenario (in a large dorm) the student would need to take the elevator or stairs up/down a few flights. For most of them it's more like a 15 to 30 second walk to the printer in the study lounge on their floor. Really -- not a big deal at all

And this is why I always recommend people check with the particular university first. Where exactly are the printing stations? How many are there?

Older dd has to print a lot. This past year she could choose between a station in her (small, older) dorm, one just across the green from her dorm, one in the buiding where she had most her classes, and one in the student center housing the office for her main extracurricular activity (she often studied in the office).

• Like 3

The dorms at DS's university all have printing stations. Worst case scenario (in a large dorm) the student would need to take the elevator or stairs up/down a few flights. For most of them it's more like a 15 to 30 second walk to the printer in the study lounge on their floor.  Really -- not a big deal at all

that changes things. DD's dorm does not have such a thing

• Like 2

FWIW, we just did a campus tour today where the guide mentioned that the dorms have ironing boards and irons, but recommended seriously having your own cover/pressing cloth because they're sometimes "kind of icky". (We were with a group of parents who's kids were doing Freshman orientation, so the tour and questions were skewed a bit). Printing stations were quite common. So were computer workstations, although I can't quite imagine a kid not bringing their own laptop to college in this day and age.

FWIW, we just did a campus tour today where the guide mentioned that the dorms have ironing boards and irons, but recommended seriously having your own cover/pressing cloth because they're sometimes "kind of icky". (We were with a group of parents who's kids were doing Freshman orientation, so the tour and questions were skewed a bit). Printing stations were quite common. So were computer workstations, although I can't quite imagine a kid not bringing their own laptop to college in this day and age.

I think that's a case-by-case thing too.  My dc will be bringing a laptop, but their major requires use of (pricey) software, so apparently many kids just use the computer lab rather than buying the software.  It's also nice, for their projects, to work with a really huge monitor screen - one way too big to carry around - so that's another incentive to use the uni's machines.

Dc is eager to take a printer, but I'm advising waiting to scope out the school's resources, having sent two previous dc to school with them only to find they went unused and took up valuable space in the dorm.

• Like 3

I think that's a case-by-case thing too.  My dc will be bringing a laptop, but their major requires use of (pricey) software, so apparently many kids just use the computer lab rather than buying the software.  It's also nice, for their projects, to work with a really huge monitor screen - one way too big to carry around - so that's another incentive to use the uni's machines.

This was true for ds too. He had a laptop which he used. However, for his video editing class he used the more powerful computers with huge screens and all the editing software installed that were located in the communications building. Having the class gave him 24 hour access to the lab. I'm sure that many departments have similar situations with specific hardware/software being provided via computer labs. 

I am looking over the list of potential things to bring and am wondering what is really necessary.

Our budget is tight and I want to spend it on items that will be used.

So what is your take on some of these items:

Trunk

How many towels

How many sheets

Printer

Iron and ironing board

Laundry bag or basket or both

Any been there done that wish I had items?

Already have a stock of command products and duct tape.

DD had no trunk. Several rubbermaid totes brought items in, carried items back out, served as under-bed storage all year (lofted bed) and can be a laundry basket and hamper. They also nest when not occupied. We had a bunch in the house and did not need to buy any new.

2-3 towels

DD has two sheet sets, but one would suffice

She had a duvet cover and a down-alternative inset. This is easier to wash if needed.

I see a lot of people saying no printer, but DD was very, very happy to have hers. It's wireless and she could print from her iPad (didn't have a laptop; just used iPad all year.) Her roommate used it too.

A clothing steamer can work better than an iron and ironing board. Iron is only necessary if crisp creases are needed, such as for formal uniforms.

DD used her phone for an alarm clock.

Things DD did not use: in-dorm safe, britta filter pitcher, iron and board.

• Like 1

The need for a printer may vary not only by school and access to printers/need for them via electronic submission.

But also by the major within the school and by the student (ie. my DS always wants to print a draft so he can spot corrections - he knows he's more likely to see them on paper than on a screen) ... as I said I moved my DS into a dorm without one and he started asking for one soon after.

This is interesting. It's true for me too; I can't proof a paper well on screen; I do much better with physical paper. But I thought this had more to do with my age than anything else. Interesting that there's a young person who thinks this way, too. :)

Yeah, it's funny, because we were just talking about this yesterday. DD said she was SO thankful she had a wireless printer in her room. She is a language major and writes a lot of papers. Yes, there are places to print on campus, but not in her dorm building; she would have to walk to the library. Even her roommate found it tremendously helpful and handy to have access to a printer in their room, and she could not even print directly; she would send it to DD's email and then DD would print it out.

Printer was a hands-down yes for her.

Ds is a minimalist at heart. So since we are only 3.5 hours from campus so I could take things to him if he must have them, we are going really light, and that waiting to see how that works out from him. He is taking a printer though he has a lot of pages of free printing on campus. His dorm is quite a long distance from the nearest print station so we think he may need this. 

Laptop

Printer

2 reams of paper

some notebooks, pens, and highlighters

2 drawer file cabinet and file folders

Desk lamp

Small, clamp on fan for his bed

Refrigerator - we picked up a dorm fridge used and in mint condition for less than renting for one semester

Phone and chargers

Clothes

2 sets of towels

1 set of sheets

Hiking boots

Swim gear

Snacks, fresh fruit, lunch meats, cheese, crackers

Books - we will probably be able to get them cheaper from Amazon than the school bookstore.

Personal care supplies, collapsible laundry hamper, and laundry soap/dryer sheets

Rolls of quarters for laundry

Maybe a flashlight

Not much else. He won't take his winter coat and boots even because he can pick them up at Thanksgiving, bringing home his lightweight jacket and shorts to help make room.

• Like 2

My oldest has been in the dorm two years now (mandatory dorms at her school.) This is what she has:

clothes, shoes

raincoat and winter jacket

boots

wireless speaker/ clock radio that charges a cell phone

small sewing kit

small first aid kit and medications (ibuprofen, tylenol, allergy meds)

batteries, command strips, door stop

office supplies (stapler, tape, pencils, etc.)

cleaning supplies (they have their own bathroom to clean)

toiletries, shower caddy

tissues, paper towels

two drawer plastic file cabinet - one with files and one with extra paper, notebooks, etc.

desk lamp (the one with happy light bulbs) and floor lamp (poor lighting in room)

backpack, purse, shoulder bag

pillow, sheet set, blanket, comforter, throw pillows (for making bed a couch), mattress pad, mattress cover (zips over pad and mattress for allergies)

towels, hand towels

laundry hamper, detergent pods, fabric softener sheets, stain stick

iron (they provide an ironing board, her iron stays in the laundry room for everyone to use)

plate, bowl, plastic container (for cafeteria carryout), mug, silverware

bike helmet

Her room is very clean and minimal compared to most, but she also often has things that other people need (batteries, stapler, stain stick, etc.) and didn't think to bring. She transports it all in a few plastic tubs that fit behind the shelves under her bed (they loft a little.)

They have printers in the dorm (paper and 3D) for them to use, so no need for one. Her laptop was mandatory, so she has that, but she also has a tablet she uses a lot. The room has a microfridge.

Edited by angela in ohio
  • Like 1

Went to costco with ds today.  Picked up the $40 comforter and sheet set.  Actually had to go to 2 costcos for this.  My regular costco only had the floral print left.  Also picked up at costco the 2 pk pop up hampers, pillows, a mattress pad, and a fit under the airplane seat suitcase for overnights and if he gets to fly anywhere.  Plus. the giant packs of command hooks.  I didn't realize just how much room this stuff takes up.  Anyone use those space bag things?  Wondering if they work and are worth picking some up.

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but my ds brought a football, basketball, and soccerball all (plus all his lax gear). The balls got used a lot and were a good ice breaker in the first couple of days of moving in the dorm. I am guessing he used them throughout the whole semester, as that is something he does on a regular basis - someone calls/texts and they meet up on the basketball court or in a grassy area to throw or kick.

Edited by school17777
  • Like 3

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but my ds brought a football, basketball, and soccerball all (plus all his lax gear). The balls got used a lot and were a good ice breaker in the first couple of days of moving in the dorm. I am guessing he used them throughout the whole semester, as that is something he does on a regular basis - someone calls/texts and they meet up on the basketball court or in a grassy area to throw or kick.

Nice idea! A frisbee works very well for this, too, for casual tossing around.

And a lot of college campuses informally play Ultimate Frisbee, or even have Ultimate Frisbee intramural teams (DS was on the championship team twice at his college!), so that can be fun, too.

• Like 3

Thank you for this! My ds is an athlete and shoots hoops to relax and loves to pass a football. I have no idea why this didn't occur to us. He even has a hoop right outside his dorm. Never even crossed my mind but of course he needs a basketball and a football :)

• Like 2

Oh, I do have a question that hasn't been asked. .. what about a comforter? I can pretty easily find those twin XL sheets but it seems like all the XL comforters come in sets, and I don't really want to necessarily have to buy a set...

When we went to ds' student orientation, the guide warned us that the dorms are kept very, very warm during the winter and to not even bother bringing a comforter.  Sure enough, ds only used his fleece blanket during the winter months. He said that was more than enough.

Maybe ask students on the school's fb group about this?

Just came home from our parent orientation. Which was an awesome two-day event where ds will be attending. Chock full of student leaders and I asked virtually every student I spoke with the trunk question. And dh asked it during the student panel. It is official. No trunk. Storage bins. One student on the panel asked what a trunk was. Out of 5 students one actually used a trunk and liked it. One student I spoke with said she used it the first year then switched to bins. I was already leaning towards no trunk and this clinched it.

We will definitely be sending ds with a printer as the community printers are located in the library. The library is open 24/7 but who will want to walk over there in the middle of the night.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so who has a "this alarm clock could shock a dead student back to life" product recommendation? Ds has taken to sleeping through his phone alarm which leaves me concerned.

I told dh last night that I was considering hiring a music major to go blow a trumpet at him each morning if this continues.

Ya...off to the doctor to make sure his mono has not reared its ugly head. Seriously though, he does need a better alarm no matter what.

Okay so who has a "this alarm clock could shock a dead student back to life" product recommendation? Ds has taken to sleeping through his phone alarm which leaves me concerned.

I told dh last night that I was considering hiring a music major to go blow a trumpet at him each morning if this continues.

Ya...off to the doctor to make sure his mono has not reared its ugly head. Seriously though, he does need a better alarm no matter what.

My college roommate could sleep through a nuclear blast. I don't think any alarm clock would have been up to the challenge. I was on the lower bunk, and if her alarm would start beeping incessantly and I didn't have to be up yet, I'd kick the springs till she woke up. If I was out of the room, often people from down the hall would hear it and get sick of it, and come in and turn it off. She'd go right on sleeping. ..

Just came home from our parent orientation. Which was an awesome two-day event where ds will be attending. Chock full of student leaders and I asked virtually every student I spoke with the trunk question. And dh asked it during the student panel. It is official. No trunk. Storage bins. One student on the panel asked what a trunk was. Out of 5 students one actually used a trunk and liked it. One student I spoke with said she used it the first year then switched to bins. I was already leaning towards no trunk and this clinched it.

We will definitely be sending ds with a printer as the community printers are located in the library. The library is open 24/7 but who will want to walk over there in the middle of the night.

My kids' trunks basically are bins, but have a place for a lock. I know my ds used his trunk, not sure about my dd. Walmart has them on sale for $20 right now.

• Like 1