Menu

Why is the Fire tablet so much cheaper than Kindle paperwhite?

madteaparty

Maybe the Paperwhite is more $ because it's proprietary technology (e-ink) or because there aren't many competitors? 

The Fire is basically just another tablet and there are multiple tablet manufacturers to choose from.

eta: terms - I though OP was referring to $40 Fire tablet vs. $100 Paperwhite E-reader.  If the question really was why Paperwhite costs more than $60 basic Kindle E-reader, well that would be due to lit screen & higher resolution.

Edited by TrixieB

The resolution is nearly 2x better.  That is one of the more expensive components on tablets.

I just bought one of the new ones ($39.99 plus tax).  I love it!  If I have any complaint, I'd say the screen resolution is not as nice as my other Kindles...but it's good enough for that price point.  

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

Maybe the Kindle is more $ because it's proprietary technology (e-ink) or because there aren't many competitors? 

The Fire is basically just another tablet and there are multiple tablet manufacturers to choose from.

No she is referring to why one type of Kindle is more than another type of Kindle. 

You can't really compare Paperwhite vs. basic Kindle.  Many different features.  If the OP is actually referring to the Fire vs. Paperwhite, that's because the Fire has lots of competitors and is a bit locked down so not as popular as something that can get apps easily from the Google Play store or wherever.  Plus an eink Kindle isn't anything like a Fire tablet.

• Like 3

You can't really compare Paperwhite vs. basic Kindle.  Many different features.  If the OP is actually referring to the Fire vs. Paperwhite, that's because the Fire has lots of competitors and is a bit locked down so not as popular as something that can get apps easily from the Google Play store or wherever.  Plus an eink Kindle isn't anything like a Fire tablet.

Well and to add the point of the Kindle is largely to sell stuff to people. 

• Like 1

Because a paperweight Kindle is the best thing in the whole world and worth every single penny. A fire is just a table. A paperwhite is a world of books. So much nicer to read on. 

Can you read it outside?  I have to say that is one thing I do not like about my Kindles.  Although I still have a Kindle Keyboard and I can use that outside.

• Like 1

Well and to add the point of the Kindle is largely to sell stuff to people. 

That's the point of both the Kindle AND the Fire :)

ETA: Kindle = eink; Fire = tablet (often in these discussions there is confusion about that since the Kindle has many names and the Fire is technically called Kindle Fire)

Edited by Butter
  • Like 1

Because a paperweight Kindle is the best thing in the whole world and worth every single penny. A fire is just a table. A paperwhite is a world of books. So much nicer to read on. 

OK.  I have a 3.25 year old Fire that is dying.  I used it for a lot of tasks for the first couple years, but since Christmas, when I finally got a smartphone, I don't use the fire too much anymore, other than for reading.  I don't love reading on the phone. So, I will probably want a new Kindle when the old one dies off.

I have the same question as Sparkly - can you read on it outside?  And, can you read on it in a dark room?  I thought kindles that are not fire tablets still need a book light to read in the dark?  I like to read after my husband falls asleep but I don't want to have to mess with a booklight.

It would be tempting to buy another cheap fire but I also like the potential of the lack of distractions on a kindle e-reader.

I know I could go to Amazon site to find this information, but honestly it's so much more helpful to me to get personal opinions and experiences.  So feel free to ignore my questions but please don't say "let me google that for you." 

:-)

• Like 2

That's the point of both the Kindle AND the Fire :)

ETA: Kindle = eink; Fire = tablet (often in these discussions there is confusion about that since the Kindle has many names and the Fire is technically called Kindle Fire)

I don't see them as radically different.  Even the old Kindle Keyboard can do Internet searches and use some games.  Doing those things on that is definitely clunky and not fun, but it does do those things.  So the new Kindles don't do that at all?  They are strictly e-readers?

OK.  I have a 3.25 year old Fire that is dying.  I used it for a lot of tasks for the first couple years, but since Christmas, when I finally got a smartphone, I don't use the fire too much anymore, other than for reading.  I don't love reading on the phone. So, I will probably want a new Kindle when the old one dies off.

I have the same question as Sparkly - can you read on it outside?  And, can you read on it in a dark room?  I thought kindles that are not fire tablets still need a book light to read in the dark?  I like to read after my husband falls asleep but I don't want to have to mess with a booklight.

It would be tempting to buy another cheap fire but I also like the potential of the lack of distractions on a kindle e-reader.

I know I could go to Amazon site to find this information, but honestly it's so much more helpful to me to get personal opinions and experiences.  So feel free to ignore my questions but please don't say "let me google that for you." 

:-)

You probably could buy a very inexpensive Kindle Keyboard for that purpose.  Looking at that now, they have some used ones for about $27.  Those are great for using outside.  Although, you can't read with them in the dark.  No clue if you are looking for that feature though. 

I don't see them as radically different.  Even the old Kindle Keyboard can do Internet searches and use some games.  Doing those things on that is definitely clunky and not fun, but it does do those things.  So the new Kindles don't do that at all?  They are strictly e-readers?

They are very extremely different.  Yes, at least the basics are strictly ereaders.  I don't know about the Paperwhite, Voyage, or Oasis.  I have a Kindle Keyboard and what it can do vs. the Fires we have is no comparison.  Fires are for entertainment consumption (apps).  Eink Kindles are for reading consumption (books).  Plus there's the whole color vs. black and white thing and motion.  Fires are backlit, Kindles are not (all Kindles are designed to be used outside, Fires not so much).  Yeah, not even remotely the same.

• Like 6

They are very extremely different.  Yes, at least the basics are strictly ereaders.  I don't know about the Paperwhite, Voyage, or Oasis.  I have a Kindle Keyboard and what it can do vs. the Fires we have is no comparison.  Fires are for entertainment consumption (apps).  Eink Kindles are for reading consumption (books).  Plus there's the whole color vs. black and white thing and motion.  Fires are backlit, Kindles are not (all Kindles are designed to be used outside, Fires not so much).  Yeah, not even remotely the same.

Yeah I wish they could somehow combine both.  I use my Fires as e-readers a lot, but they are lacking of features that would make it better to read on.  In particular, you can't read outside.

But for now it's ok.  I still have the Kindle Keyboard.  What I like about that too is that since it is so low frills it holds a charge for a very long time.  That makes it great for traveling. 

I have to say I am very impressed with the low cost 5th gen model.  I have 2 other Fires.  One is a first gen and the other a third gen.  There were minor issues with both of those.  Those issues are gone on the new Fire and there are more features.  AND it's so inexpensive. 

I think this is one of those times that professional reviews are a bit more helpful than the hive.

I know you have made a decision, but you may want to look at a few reviews to make sure you understand what the differences are between the two.  Battery life, screen resolution, internet capablity (video vs text),e-ink, lighting, ports, internal vs external storage options....plus more. They really are quite different tablets.

one review

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I'm getting him the basic kindle and calling it good :)

I believe the basic Kindle isn't backlit - you can't read it at night  in bed in the dark and that's the best place to read! :) You have to get a Paperwhite or above to get one that is backlit.

eta - I was wrong - the other Kindles aren't backlit - but in a way that you CAN read in the dark. Other posters have explained it better. :)

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 4

Can you read it outside?  I have to say that is one thing I do not like about my Kindles.  Although I still have a Kindle Keyboard and I can use that outside.

I just took my kindle fire outside and can read  on it fine.  In sun or shade.  I turned the brightness way up.  It is a bit glary in the sun, but I don't like sitting in the sun anyway.

• Like 2

All Kindles can be read outside.  They are not backlit so you don't have to adjust the display brightness like you do on a smart phone when you are outside just to be able to read the screen in sunshine.  The screen also in not reflective so there's little to no glare.  Whether you can read it in a dark room depends on the model you get.  You need a book light for a basic Kindle (and Kindle Keyboard, but those are only available used now; Amazon isn't making them anymore).

Paperwhite is when they introduced the LED lights (on the front so it's not backlit like a Fire/tablet).  It has 4 LEDs so there have been some complaints about the lights not lighting up the display completely.  The LEDs are adjustable so you can make them brighter for reading in the dark.  It's strictly touchscreen for turning pages.

The Voyage has 6 LEDs and is touchscreen or press.  It is also the only Kindle currently with adaptive lights.  It senses the light where you are reading and automatically adjusts to a level comfortable for reading in that amount of light (you can always change it).  When reading in the dark, it slowly lowers the light level to match how eyes adjust to darkness so it's supposed to be consistently comfortable reading.

The new Oasis has 10 LEDs and is also touchscreen or press.  They didn't do the adaptive LED thing on that one and it's shape is quite different.  It also comes with a charging cover.  It is significantly more expensive than either the Paperwhite or the Voyage so I haven't decided if it is worth it or not.

The difference between the LEDs on those three Kindles and a Fire is the light on the Kindles is aimed at what you are reading lighting it like you are using a booklight while the light in a Fire (or smart phone or any other tablet or computer screen) is coming from the back and so aimed at your eyes as you look at the screen.  For some people (myself included) this is uncomfortable for long periods of time and can cause eyestrain.  You don't have that from the lights on a Kindle.  Hope that helps!

• Like 4

You can read on a Paperwhite in the brightest bright sunlight. It's not backlit like a phone or tablet (including the Fire, which is just another tablet). It's like reading on a page from a printed book.

ETA: I see some posts saying the Paperwhite is backlit. It's not. It has a light, but isn't backlit. The light comes from the front. That makes a world of difference when reading outside, as well as keeping your eyes from getting tired as when looking at a backlit screen.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

You can read on a Paperwhite in the brightest bright sunlight. It's not backlit like a phone or tablet (including the Fire, which is just another tablet). It's like reading on a page from a printed book.

Exactly, if you are somewhere that you could read a paper book then you can read from the Paperwhite (or kindle ereader). I love rev Paperwhite for reading in bed without a book light.
  • Like 2

I haven't read all the posts. I have s basic kindle. In order to use it I need to buy books from Amazon.

I always thought the kindle was cheap because Amazon makes $$ off the ebooks, the same way inkjet printers sell for vey little and the the cost is of ink breaks the bank.

Actually you can load library apps to your fire to get free books on your kindle fire (like Overdrive) I do this all the time.

I have a plain Nook (not backlit) that I like for outdoor reading but I like my Kindle for its adjustable reading and some of the prime apps. I also have an ipad... I use all three for different things.

• Like 1

All Kindles can be read outside.  They are not backlit so you don't have to adjust the display brightness like you do on a smart phone when you are outside just to be able to read the screen in sunshine.  The screen also in not reflective so there's little to no glare.  Whether you can read it in a dark room depends on the model you get.  You need a book light for a basic Kindle (and Kindle Keyboard, but those are only available used now; Amazon isn't making them anymore).

Paperwhite is when they introduced the LED lights (on the front so it's not backlit like a Fire/tablet).  It has 4 LEDs so there have been some complaints about the lights not lighting up the display completely.  The LEDs are adjustable so you can make them brighter for reading in the dark.  It's strictly touchscreen for turning pages.

The Voyage has 6 LEDs and is touchscreen or press.  It is also the only Kindle currently with adaptive lights.  It senses the light where you are reading and automatically adjusts to a level comfortable for reading in that amount of light (you can always change it).  When reading in the dark, it slowly lowers the light level to match how eyes adjust to darkness so it's supposed to be consistently comfortable reading.

my husband and I LOVE our Kindle Voyage units. Yes, I read mine in the dark. Sometimes I'm reading out front and decide to join him in bed and I carry it back and it just adjusts to the different light level.

I used a basic Kindle for 3 years and it was great (and cheap). But I love the new ability to read on the Voyage in the dark.

When I am out in the sun and have sunglasses on, I do find the Kindle Voyage a little difficult to read on. But that is my sunglasses causing the problem.

+1, yes, this

I lost my Paperwhite to the kids and their bedtime reading, and we just gave in and purchased more e-readers for our family. We debated two standard Kindles vs. one Paperwhite, and the Paperwhite was just not a question. I willingly paid more for it. 

I tried reading a book on our Kindle Fire recently (see above: lost my Paperwhite), and I found that it really hurt my eyes after a while. The Paperwhite is so easy on the eyes, I almost forget that I'm not reading a book. 

Plus, the battery life for a Paperwhite (all Kindle readers) vs. tablets is TO DIE FOR. As in, the tablets DIE ALL THE TIME and the Paperwhite keeps chugging along.

• Like 2

I wonder if Amazon prices the Fire lower a) because of the technology, and b) because from their marketers' perspective, it is really a portal, not a reader...a portal for purchasing other and more expensive items than books.  It's the old "razors are cheap because you have to buy my razor blades and that's where the money is" product pricing.  

I'm not that savvy about what all of the technologies do, but I know that my friend who got a Fire ended up getting a Paperwhite because what she really wanted to do was *read*.  I've had a Paperwhite for 3+ years, and a keyboard Kindle (which my dh now has) for 2 before that, and I have read SO much more than I did before.  But Amazon isn't getting rich off my book purchases.  I use the library to check out Kindle titles and I get free classics.  And I can't buy anything else from my Paperwhite, so it's not as much a portal as the Fire is.

I haven't read all the posts. I have s basic kindle. In order to use it I need to buy books from Amazon.

I always thought the kindle was cheap because Amazon makes $$ off the ebooks, the same way inkjet printers sell for vey little and the the cost is of ink breaks the bank.

Actually you can load library apps to your fire to get free books on your kindle fire (like Overdrive) I do this all the time.

I have a plain Nook (not backlit) that I like for outdoor reading but I like my Kindle for its adjustable reading and some of the prime apps. I also have an ipad... I use all three for different things.

So... from these posts I'm getting that I wouldn't be able to use Overdrive on a paperwhite, just a fire?   I do a lot of my reading that way. 

I think I'm off to do some research now!  :-)

ETA:  Looks like it can be done, just not via an app as it is on the fire. 

Edited by marbel

So... from these posts I'm getting that I wouldn't be able to use Overdrive on a paperwhite, just a fire?   I do a lot of my reading that way. 

I do it all the time for my paperwhite, you just can't actually load the books from the paperwhite. I go to my computer, log in to my library website, get the books sent to my paperwhite, then go read them on the paperwhite. I can put several books at at time on there, so not a big deal. 

I also pay the fee for Kindle Unlimited, and a lot of great books are included with that. Most of my favorite Romantic Suspense authors, etc. 

• Like 5

We recently got a 5th gen. Fire, and I discovered that you can turn the blue light off for reading at night. It's still backlit, but it's not using blue light. For some reason that seems to help reduce eyestrain by a lot for me. (ymmv) 

I've been using it a lot more for actual reading (instead of surfing, etc.).

• Like 1

I have a 2nd gen Kindle keyboard e-reader and will not sell it. It's the only one with text to talk as far as the ereaders go. The Paperwhite is the best e-reader Amazon sells and can be read outside due to the non glare screen, but it doesn't have text to talk so you can't download audible books. I also have the Kindle Fire 7HDX and I have books on it but you can't read books outside because of the glare. You can listen to audible books on it because the Fires have speakers.

IMO the Oasis and Voyage aren't that much better to justify their expensive price. The Paperwhite was just on sale for $99, regular price is $119, which is reasonable for a dedicated e-reader. You can't go wrong with the Paperwhite for books and if all you want is something to load books on get the Paperwhite, not the Fire. If you want internet, email, and ability to load lots of apps then get a Fire.

You are the product. The Kindle Fire collects more information about you than the Kindle Paperwhite, therefore it is more valuable to Amazon if you purchase the Fire.

• Like 1

You can.  When you check out books from Overdrive it gives you the option to send to a specific Kindle in your account just like when you buy a book from Amazon.  Then you turn on your wifi and the book magically appears on that Kindle.

ETA: My sister refuses to allow her Kindle to use wifi so she puts stuff on it via download.  That also works with Overdrive.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 2

You are the product. The Kindle Fire collects more information about you than the Kindle Paperwhite, therefore it is more valuable to Amazon if you purchase the Fire.

Can you elaborate?

I was just reading about Radio Shack bankruptcy. Customers' personal info, which the business had promised never to sell, was listed as an asset. Not that I expect Amazon to go out of business, by my impression is that, if they spun off Kindle, then terms of use/confidentiality agreements cease to exist. So I would love to know what they collect.

Our library actually dropped Overdrive in favor of 3M Cloud library and they do not support a Kindle Paperwhite.  Thought I would mention that just in case.  I really miss Overdrive!

ETA When I said Kindle Paperwhite and I should have Kindle e-reader.  I just noticed they have several to choose from.

Edited by LuvToRead

Our library actually dropped Overdrive in favor of 3M Cloud library and they do not support a Kindle Paperwhite.  Thought I would mention that just in case.  I really miss Overdrive!

Then what do you read their books on now?

Then what do you read their books on now?

A Nook (simple touch and tablet), Kindle Fire, and they have apps iOS and Android.  A lot of people are complaining about it.  When my last Nook broke, I thought about going with a Kindle dedicated e-reader, but didn't for this very reason.

Edited by LuvToRead
  • Like 1

A Nook (simple touch and tablet), Kindle Fire, and they have apps iOS and Android.  A lot of people are complaining about it.  When my last Nook broke, I thought about going with a Kindle dedicated e-reader, but didn't for this very reason.

I sure hope our library doesn't change to that then!

I sure hope our library doesn't change to that then!

It is saving my library quite a bit of money, but no one likes it.  The thing I miss most is it doesn't have a wishlist.  I had a ton of books on my Overdrive wishlist.  I joined Fairfax County library system just for Overdrive.

• Like 1

It is saving my library quite a bit of money, but no one likes it.  The thing I miss most is it doesn't have a wishlist.  I had a ton of books on my Overdrive wishlist.  I joined Fairfax County library system just for Overdrive.

I joined Fairfax, too, because our system doesn't have as much. I'd hate to lose my wish lists!

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Yes, yes, yes. The paperwhite is the perfect reading device. Love, love, love. I have an iPad, an iPhone, many computers, thousands of books . . . my favorite thing to read on is the paperwhite. So easy on the eyes, light, easy to hold, long long battery life, etc.