momto10blessings

Monterey/Carmel area

San Francisco

Napa Valley

Mendocino Coast (Cali)

Newport, Oregon

Portland, Oregon

Seattle

Just going south to north.  Each place has its charms.  Portland is my favorite but I lived there for  9 years, 9 years ago, and miss it.

• Like 1

Well, DH and I differ here. He would pick a cabin up in the mountains (yawwwn LOL) and I would pick downtown San Francisco to go to see and do stuff.

Do you want to just chill or do some sight seeing?

Santa Barbara was lovely and not too big.

I have things I would love to do in LA (Getty), but a weekend is probably not long enough with traffic and all that LOL.

• Like 1

We'd revisit one of the National Parks - perhaps Sequoia - perhaps Lava Beds - perhaps Mt St Helens.  If it were spring, maybe Yosemite to see the falls at a peak.

If we had to do a city, either San Diego or San Francisco, but honestly, we're more "love nature" folks.

Hmm, maybe just a quick road trip along part of the Pacific Coast highway...

• Like 1

Lake Tahoe. Period.

We moved out of a lifetime in CA -- and all I really miss is Lake Tahoe. There's nowhere like it.

But if you're in the mood for a city:

San Francisco is cool -- a stay at the Claremont in Berkeley will introduce you to both Berkeley and SF.

Monterey is absolutely gorgeous along with Carmel.

And San Diego is super cool too.

I have a couple of articles that I use with excellent hotel suggestions. PM me if you'd like them.

Alley

• Like 1

If you are interested in the Oregon Coast, we really enjoyed Cannon Beach over spring break. Nice beach for walking along, Haystack rock makes for interesting photographs, Ecola state park is adjacent to the town (nice hiking, whale watching in March), several good restaurants. Nice little town.

• Like 2

depends if you want city or nature.

I like the ruggedness of the oregon or washington coasts.  but I like to watch the waves.  dh likes woods.  I have a couple favorite B& Bs in WA.  one just outside sequim (three hours from seattle.  it's in the rain shadow.  august is the lavender festival. one of the best areas in the world for growing lavender.) with views across the water to victoria and Vancouver island.  another is the south end of san juan island - also overlooks the water to Vancouver island.  also in rain shadow.

• Like 3

Do you like of lot of stuff going on or you need a break from the world?

If you like things happening around you, i.e.., lots of museums, beach, restaurants, fun places in driving distance, I'd say San Francisco. You could even visit the Napa Wine country on a day's excursion if you are so inclined.

If you need a break from the world, you should just google "Sea Ranch CA vacation rentals" and select one. You will be close to the beach and it's quiet and heavenly for weary souls. I obviously know whereof I speak... :laugh:

PS: Even though Sea Ranch is quiet it is near excellent restaurants but not much else in terms of nightlife.

• Like 1

Actually, we're not set on that time of year, so if there's a better time to go, please share.

the most dependable weather in seattle  is the last week of july and the first week of august.   it's also when seattle has seafair . . dh is very partial to the 2nd week of august for the wildflower meadows at mt rainier.

oh, and the bellevue arts and crafts fair (there are two other fairs adjacent to it, so it's pretty big.)  it attracts craftsman for all over the country.  there is one from the hudson river valley in NY whose work I look forward to seeing every year.  he does beautiful marquetry - with a twist.  he also uses abalone and even turquoise as well as different woods.  he has one mirror that is basically the door from the gamble house.  it's gorgeous.

The CA coast is usually the foggiest and coolest around July / August / September. Late October into February is clear and often warmer because there is less wind. You could go on a whale watching tour for migrating whales which happens around that time.

Edited by Liz CA

I've always wanted to visit big sur. I'm just not sure how to plan it, what's feasible for a weekend, where to fly into.

Aww, Big Sur brings back so many memories!  That's where my family would often picnic on Sundays.  The closest domestic airport is Monterey, I think.  But flights there will be more expensive.  San Jose Airport would work, but the San Francisco airport will probably get you the best deal.  It's about 2.5 hours away from Big Sur.

You'd want to rent a car at the airport.  Then check out TripAdvisor.com for lodging recommendations. 

Nature, for sure. Late september/early October.

**Edited for spelling**

Lots of nature in and right outside of SF. You won't waste extra travel time even if you don't want city stuff. I'm sure the same is true of Portland and Seattle.

What exactly are you looking to do?

Since neither my dh nor I like too many people or crowds and prefer to be more alone, we look for quieter places.  One of our very favorite spots is the Oregon Coast around Yachats.  Beautiful, quiet, long walks.  If you want warmer weather, that's probably too far north, but I just love it.  In fact, we're headed over there tomorrow.

• Like 2

Any resort along the coastline with an ocean view room. I love the view of the Pacific Ocean. We love the scenary from Highway 1. We love bustling cities but for a weekend getaway, we just want rest and relax with good food.

Sounds really lovely and now I want that experience, too.  Any specific recommendations?  Hotels or houses?

If you could choose to go anywhere on the west coast with your husband for a weekend, where would it be?

Well, we live on the West Coast and have family all up and down so we actually have made this choice several times.

It depends on the season!

I personally would choose a stay in Portland and a drive to the Oregon Coast and staying on the coast in the Manzanita area for a stay, maybe with a jaunt to Mt. Hood.

But then, I was born in Portland and I happen to think the Oregon Coast is the most beautiful place in the country. (Continental US, that is. I've never been to Alaska or Hawaii.) (Never mind. Maybe not the most beautiful. But I love it.)

Also, Oregon is so relaxing. California has cool attractions but I don't like the culture personally (though maybe if you're from the East Coast Portland would put you in a coma, so it might be safer to ease into it in SF, LOL).

Edited by Tsuga