Menu

9:30 am Thursday - a snapshot of our lives

creekland

The boys would have started school with my help at 8.  At 9 they move to independent work, so while they do that I scoop litter boxes, eat breakfast, and putter around until they're done with writing.  Then we continue on with more school work.

I work 40+ hours a week and Thursday is my day off.  This is pretty consistent with a normal Thursday for me.

I was listening to Stargate SG1 on my laptop as I researched where I could get dd9 diagnosed with Dysgraphia.

My phone chimed at 9:30 as a reminder to check on dd17. At 9:35, I woke up DD17 who was just awake for 40 straight hours after her ADHD meds interfered with her sleep cycle. She had tried to go back on an old med that she used to take....but obviously it was a bust.   She is in public high school. She was supposed to have state assessment testing today, but I made her sleep in instead.  I woke her up with a glass of chocolate milk and encouraged her to go to class for at least the afternoon but then come home and go back to sleep afterward.

Edited by Tap

This morning at 9:30 am I was sitting in the hospital with my son waiting for his discharge papers, so it wasn't a normal Thursday morning. 

Usually I am reading or cleaning on Thursday mornings, I don't have a set pattern. 

• Like 1

At 9.30 this morning I was at my desk at the office.  I was trying to drink a cup of tea quickly whilst answering urgent emails, because I was about to go to an employer-sponsored mindfulness taster course.

At that time, Husband had taken the bus to a nearby town to pick up his car which was having its MOT (roadworthiness check).  My mum was getting ready to go by free taxi to an NHS physio appointment.  Hobbes was at school, taking a high-stakes (GCSE) chemistry exam.  

Some of that could have been any day: my work often sends me on courses and Mum often sees medical professionals.  The MOT is annual and the GCSEs are once-in-a-lifetime.

I was turning the house upside down, cleaning, vacuuming, and decluttering ... because dh killed a big spider skittering across the living room floor last night.  I was also spraying spider spray.

No, not "normal".  At least, I hope it's not going to be a normal occurrence ...  (shiver)  I would normally have finished the cleaning and be doing clothes and feeding my squirrels and chipmunks outside by that time.

This has been an interesting read!

It all came about due to someone saying that "most" people do their "usual" every day at a set time and that "usual" makes the world go around.  It could be in school, work (all sorts of jobs), or sleeping/eating breakfast.

But then there are others who keep the "unusual" happening for better or worse - those who are on vacation or sick or having emergencies, etc.

Only by seeing a snapshot of a larger population do we sort of "see" the world at work as otherwise we're only "in" on our lives or maybe that of our closer friends/family.

It's kinda proven true here... and has been interesting to see.  (It will continue to be interesting if more continue to post, but it really has to be "today" at a set hour.)

My  :grouphug: go out to those who have "proven" the part about sicknesses and emergencies though.

• Like 2

This has been an interesting read!

It all came about due to someone saying that "most" people do their "usual" every day at a set time and that "usual" makes the world go around.  It could be in school, work (all sorts of jobs), or sleeping/eating breakfast.

But then there are others who keep the "unusual" happening for better or worse - those who are on vacation or sick or having emergencies, etc.

Only by seeing a snapshot of a larger population do we sort of "see" the world at work as otherwise we're only "in" on our lives or maybe that of our closer friends/family.

It's kinda proven true here... and has been interesting to see.  (It will continue to be interesting if more continue to post, but it really has to be "today" at a set hour.)

My  :grouphug: go out to those who have "proven" the part about sicknesses and emergencies though.

I guess it really depend on how specific you get, to define what is 'usual'.

It was usual that I was home (but only because it was Thursday-otherwise I would be at work typing prescriptions)

It was usual that i was researching some topic on the computer that I needed to physically work on later that day. But, I have only researched providers for Dysgraphia twice in my life, so that was not usual.

It was usual that I would be caring for dd17 (she has health issues) but usually if she is home at 930 and asleep, I would have left her alone, not been waking her up.

At the end of the day.... I would say it was a normal day, even though it wasn't normal for the time of day.

I guess it really depend on how specific you get, to define what is 'usual'.

It was usual that I was home (but only because it was Thursday-otherwise I would be at work typing prescriptions)

It was usual that i was researching some topic on the computer that I needed to physically work on later that day. But, I have only researched providers for Dysgraphia twice in my life, so that was not usual.

It was usual that I would be caring for dd17 (she has health issues) but usually if she is home at 930 and asleep, I would have left her alone, not been waking her up.

At the end of the day.... I would say it was a normal day, even though it wasn't normal for the time of day.

This was more of a statistics deal.  It doesn't really look at any one person (since statistics never apply to the individual).  It looks at large groups to see a big picture.  It's kind of like one of those big pictures that is composed of oodles of small pics if you look at it closely - amazing things.

Even though Thursday was unusual for you (as it was for me even though I was at school), in a large enough group, what you did fills in the gaps for what happens in A Day (or one specific time of one) as a whole.

This morning at 9:30 am I was sitting in the hospital with my son waiting for his discharge papers, so it wasn't a normal Thursday morning. 

Usually I am reading or cleaning on Thursday mornings, I don't have a set pattern. 

Did I miss a post about your son being in the hospital? Hope he's ok!

Did I miss a post about your son being in the hospital? Hope he's ok!

He had a kidney biopsy Wednesday am and there's a 24 hour admission so they can make sure the biopsy didn't cause internal bleeding. It went well, just waiting for results and more dr appointments.

• Like 4

Today at 9:30, I will most likely still be sitting on the sofa at my dd's waiting for her to wake up. In a city 800 miles from my home. After dropping everything to fly here because she was in the ICU with dka.

Most definitely not my usual routine.[/quote

That's a pretty horrible unusual Thursday morning. I'll keep your daughter in my prayers.

This morning at 9:30 I was riding my bike home from the bird shelter where I am a volunteer. I write thank you notes to donors and assist with the federal record keeping for injured migratory birds. I'm usually not there on Thursdays but you'll find me at the desk in the shelter at least once a week. This has been the case for something like seven years now, maybe more.

I was frying eggs, waking kids, text chatting with DH to see what time he'd be home, text chatting with a couple of local friends, preparing coffee, delegating someone to fill water bottles, packing the diaper bag, dressing, finding clothes for small guys, making a grocery list, encouraging toddler to go to the potty, dressing said toddler, and everything else that happens on days when we have errands to do after martial arts class, Yes, we were on time! I

I was packing my personal files into banker boxes and burying the boxes in the garage so they wouldn't be accessible to the people who will be touring our now on the market house. I was also wishing it was time for more ibuprofen to manage the pain from a dental bone graft I had done the day before.

Not normal. Can't wait to return to homeschooling and normal life! It's been a crazy 2.5 weeks!

At 9:30 yesterday morning I was getting ready to go shopping with my girls. Dd needed practically an entire new wardrobe---undies, bras, spirts bras, shorts, socks, swimsuit---before leaving home for 8 weeks.

Definitely NOT a normal Thursday! On a normal Thursday I'd be doing my usual morning house/garden/yard routine while dd either worked on Arabic or English.

The workers were tearing up our sidewalk outside (LOUD). 

DH was home helping to oversee the work because I am useless at that sort of thing. I miss the details and forget to make sure they are doing what we've asked for  :huh: .

I was trying to help DH find some house-related paperwork, getting lunch planned, and making sure my oldest was on track with some schoolwork.

Somehow, about 30 minutes after I tried to leave, I actually left. I went to the gym, got my allergy shot, and picked up lunch for us and the workers. 

It's definitely interesting to see the variety of 9:30s we all have, and it correlates very well to how our world works (our developed world).  There's sleep, work, breakfast, chillin', school, special events, volunteering, shopping, medical needs, etc.  An "average" day is so... different.  But our differences make it average/typical - a snapshot of life.

• Like 1