Menu

How often do you do the following housework chores:

How often do you do the following? I'm trying to figure out if I should be ashamed of myself, or if I'm right in the ballpark.

clean inside of refrigerator

dust knickknacks thoroughly

polish wood furniture

scrub bathtub/shower

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen

Hope you guys are as bad as me! :p At least then I'll feel better!

Michelle T

polish wood furniture

scrub bathtub/shower

Refrigerator - I clean this on a rotating basis, one shelf a week. Sooo, every 5-6 weeks it is completely cleaned

Dusting - Again, I do this on a rotating basis, 1-2 rooms a week. Everything gets dusted once a month or so. I do the family room more often.

Polish wood furniture - Hmm, I guess I count this in dusting. :) When I dust I do the furniture too.

Scrub bathtub/shower - Every other week (or sometimes less often)

Mop floors - My goal is every week, but is often 2-3 weeks!!

clean inside of refrigerator: once a week, before I go for a big shop

dust knickknacks thoroughly: Fortnightly

polish wood furniture: dust fortnightly

scrub bathtub/shower: weekly

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen: I do the dining room weekly at the same time as the kitchen. Everything else is carpeted.

Best wishes

Laura

How often do you do the following? I'm trying to figure out if I should be ashamed of myself, or if I'm right in the ballpark.

polish wood furniture

scrub bathtub/shower

Michelle T

I am a neat-nick so here goes:

dust knickknacks thoroughly ( I don't like nick-nacks), I dust 2 x's a week but it's non-nicknacky stuff:)

polish wood furniture- bi-weekly

scrub bathtub/shower-bi-weekly

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom- sweep every day, mop-every other day

clean under the fridge, stove dishwasher, washer, dryer by pulling them out every 3 months, and laundry every day, and much , much more. I have a cleaning list and I have a room assigned every month that get completely cleaned, freshen curtains and such. I also clean my carpets every Fall (due next month) and during my spring cleaning. Much more than you needed to know I' sure:D

polish wood furniture

scrub bathtub/shower

Michelle T

I am a neat-nick so here goes:

clean inside of refrigerator-weekly

dust knickknacks thoroughly ( I don't like nick-nacks), I dust 2 x's a week but it's non-nicknacky stuff:)

polish wood furniture- bi-weekly

scrub bathtub/shower-bi-weekly

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom- sweep every day, mop-every other day

clean under the fridge, stove dishwasher, washer, dryer by pulling them out every 3 months, and laundry every day, and much , much more. I have a cleaning list and I have a room assigned every month that get completely cleaned, freshen curtains and such. I also clean my carpets every Fall (due next month) and during my spring cleaning. Much more than you needed to know I' sure:D

polish wood furniture

scrub bathtub/shower

Michelle T

I'm answering this so everyone else feels better about themselves, okay?

Refrigerator - whenever there are obvious spills or the vegis in the drawer have melted into an unrecognizable black, liquid goo

I never dust. I also have no knickknacks (I didn't even know how to spell it before I saw this post). From time to time I give my dd the swiffer duster and let her go to town.

See "dust" for polish wood furniture (I do have wood furniture, but I do not polish it)

Scrub bathtub/shower: Kids bathtub gets scrubbed very thoroughly probably once per week. My shower maybe once per month

Mop non bathroom/kitchen floors: We have hardwood floors throughout so I do vacuum these daily & mop when I see spots (swiffer wet jet mop, that is). I get down on my hands/knees once a year and scrub every floor.

clean inside of refrigerator - At least twice a month before grocery shoppping

dust knickknacks thoroughly -I'll put the washable ones in the dishwasher to get all the dirt and grime out of them twice a year. The ones that aren't strictly washable but really aren't harmed by getting a little wet will go in the sink for a hand wash on the same day as the others. Stuff that can't be washed gets vacuumed out on the day of the cleaning. Otherwise I just run a cloth over them weekly.

polish wood furniture I use lemon oil on my wood furniture once or twice a month. More often in the winter.

scrub bathtub/shower - at least every other day

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen I don't mop any more I've got one of those hard floor cleaners. I only have bathroom/kitchen floors that need it. They get cleaned a couple times a week.

I'm answering this so everyone else feels better about themselves, okay?

Refrigerator - whenever there are obvious spills or the vegis in the drawer have melted into an unrecognizable black, liquid goo

I never dust. I also have no knickknacks (I didn't even know how to spell it before I saw this post). From time to time I give my dd the swiffer duster and let her go to town.

See "dust" for polish wood furniture (I do have wood furniture, but I do not polish it)

Scrub bathtub/shower: Kids bathtub gets scrubbed very thoroughly probably once per week. My shower maybe once per month

Mop non bathroom/kitchen floors: We have hardwood floors throughout so I do vacuum these daily & mop when I see spots (swiffer wet jet mop, that is). I get down on my hands/knees once a year and scrub every floor.

Here you go. I can make you feel really good!

clean inside of refrigerator: only if a spill or gooey fruit/veggies

dust knickknacks thoroughly: once a year?

polish wood furniture: 3 times a year?

scrub bathtub/shower: every 2 weeks unless gross, then a wipe down

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen: yearly?

We don't wear shoes in the house, so that helps on the floors. They do get swept and vacuumed as needed. I now have cleaners coming in every other week to do things. I hate dusting. Hate, hate, hate it!

I am going to give the wood floors a really good scrub next weekend though. Dh has been sanding drywall compound and left the door open so there is a film over the wood floors. When the last of the sanding is done, I am attacking it with a sponge and cleaner to get them looking decent again.

clean inside of refrigerator I try to wipe it down when I see spills :D

dust knickknacks thoroughly Dust? Oh, when I can write my name in it I guess :rolleyes:

polish wood furniture What is this polish wood that you speak of? :confused:

scrub bathtub/shower I spray with Tilex after every shower so scrubbing is kept to minimum :D

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen *whew* rest of the house is carpet so I am good on that one :lol:

clean inside of refrigerator - monthly

dust knickknacks thoroughly - monthly

polish wood furniture - weekly

scrub bathtub/shower - weekly

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen - weekly

Michelle T

monthly or weekly as above.

Never be ashamed if you are doing the best you can do. We have to juggle and sometimes or often there are probably balls on the ground. I tried to set up a schedule to have my 4 boys help. They have a daily kitchen job and an area of the house to tidy up. Then they have a job that is done once per week, and a job that is done once per month. It worked well for awhile. We've been slacking on the monthly jobs.

refrigerator- for awhile it was monthly, lately about every 2 mo or when something gets spilled.

dusting- was in the chore rotation for awhile but got dropped, now about once per month or when we have company.

tub/shower- We have soft water so we don't have the soap scum build-up. When I give the little one a bath I wipe down that shower, mine about once per month.

mop- mostly weekly, sometimes 2 weeks.

clean inside of refrigerator: once every two weeks

dust knickknacks thoroughly: Well, I have few knicknacks sitting around. But I lift everything off every shelf and dust them and the shelves weekly

polish wood furniture: I don't. I have a lot of antique wood furniture, and I dust but do not use polish/cleaners

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen: Well, the kitchen is hardwood, as is the foyer. We've got oriental rugs on the floor, so not much is exposed. I vacuum daily or every other day, but only mop every two weeks since so much of the floor is covered. We have carpet everywhere else except the bathrooms, and I vacuum those each week, but don't often mop them

Ria

Great questions.

For me, the answer is bi-weekly, with the exception of the refrigerator. I toss things regularly and do one big toss about every two weeks right before our major bi-weekly grocery shopping trip. I wipe down the shelves and drawers about every other month.

clean inside of refrigerator: when it needs it

dust knickknacks thoroughly: weekly

polish wood furniture: polish? maybe yearly, but dusted weekly

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen: as needed, certainly not daily

I'll do my best to make you feel better :glare:

clean inside of refrigerator When it looks icky

dust knickknacks thoroughly When I notice the dust, well to be honest perhaps a bit after I notice the dust.

polish wood furniture you WHAT :lol: Surfaces get dusted weekly but polished, well um, I think the table gets polished about every 6 months. I wonder if that's why it needs resurfacing :tongue_smilie:

scrub bathtub/shower when they look icky. Usually right before someone wants a bath for the tub and well, not that often for the shower

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen The majority of our living space is tiles. They get swept pretty much daily. They get a "spot mop" when I mop the kitchen (weekly) and a thorough mop about monthly.

Michelle T

Hope that helped :lol:

clean inside of refrigerator: When I notice it needs attention. I wipe up spills and clean out obvious messes when they occur, but I don't scrub out all of the drawers and wipe off all of the shelves thoroughly very often. Maybe once every two or three months?

dust knickknacks thoroughly: I don't think I own any knickknacks.

polish wood furniture: Never. I dust it with Pledge, does that count?

scrub bathtub/shower: I clean the bathtub/shower once a week, except when I forget or put it off for a week. So, usually weekly, but sometimes bi-weekly. I don't really scrub that much, though. I mostly just spray on cleaner, let it sit for awhile, and then wipe/rinse it off.

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen: All of the rest of my floors are carpeted.

Refrigerator- weekly or fortnightly throw out of off food....maybe every second month or so I will do a more thorough clean and wipeout.

Dust knicknacks thoroughly- you do that? :) maybe twice a year.

Polish wooden furniture- I have never done it. Ever.

Scrub bathtub/shower- when its rent inspection time. Actually, it doesn't get mouldy, and I wipe it over regularly with a scrubber and use a toothbrush for the grout while I am in the shower. Its a Flylady habit I picked up. Then every month or two I might use some bleach or heavy duty cleaner. It is a marble bathroom and it looks good.

Mop floors- I am lucky if I get to the kitchen floor once a month. It is vacuumed twice a week...not mopped often. The other floors, all marble, dont show dirt and are mopped maybe every few months. But it is mostly a no shoe house, so the floors dont get so dirty.

So my standards are not very high, but the house looks ok.

Fridge - once a week, but only because I'm cleaning out leftovers and I have like 8 million neighborhood kids climbing (stepping into the dang thing) every day.

Dusting - my youngest son's biggest chore is to dust weekly. He takes it very seriously. He's not great at it. About every three weeks, I wait until he's out of the house and dust more thoroughly. We don't have a bunch of knick knacks or it would be a much bigger chore.

Bathroom/shower - I have three teenage boys - they're grosss and hairy. THEY clean their bathroom at least twice weekly. Top to bottom. Dh and I share a small bathroom. I clean it once a week. It's plenty. We're not gross and hairy, don't you know.

Mop floors - Again, I have older boys, they all are involved in "floor care" of some sort everyday. Usually sweeping. They're old enough to know that I don't mind them doing it over and over and over again if they do a poor job. They do a good job. I usually mop on Fridays. I don't mind it because they boys have gone ahead of me and removed the stuff that makes me crazy (dog-hair tumbleweeds, lego bits, random pencils, etc.) It's a quick job and it makes me feel ok about slacking on the weekends.

When I was having trouble controlling myself (thinking everything needed to be done daily but since that wasn't possible, at least weekly), some boardies recommended a site that sold a Pdf file cheap, a schedule for daily and weekly chores, but it included those things done less often as it was time to do those also.....I followed it briefly as I was learning and then was able to branch out on my own.

clean inside of refrigerator...weekly

dust knickknacks thoroughly...once a week

polish wood furniture...once a week

scrub bathtub/shower....once a week

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen....once a week

Michelle T

I like everything in tip top shape. :001_smile:

I'm probably worse than you are, Michelle, by a long shot.

The fridge gets cleaned when it is gross. Since pregnancy and small children, gross is a fair bit further away than it used to be. Of course, before motherhood, we cooked and ate far more efficiently, so food wasn't going to sit there and go slimy because we were too tired to cook it.

We don't have much in the way of wood furniture. I can assure you that what we do have has never been polished, and wouldn't be unless we were hosting royalty.

We don't have many knicknacks because they catch too much dust :D The ones we have don't get dusted very often because dust catchers exist only to catch dust and be looked at. We hardly ever move them so we hardly ever notice the dust. Cobwebs will irritate me though.

The shower doesn't get done as often as it did when I had 20/20 vision. It's got to be pretty grimy before I'll even see it.

The only space other than kitchen and bathroom that isn't carpeted is the back room (about 2m squared) and about a metre in front of the front doorn. I'm pretty sure I have mopped them in the past, but as most of my energy is spent sweeping the loungeroom carpet, I very rarely get further than that. It would be very nice to have a vacuum cleaner that required less effort than a dustpan and shovel, but we don't have one. Ours overheats before I get half way through the loungeroom. Anyway, I get vacuum cleaner rage and prefer to use the dustpan and shovel even if it takes longer.

Anyway, with a dh who has worse standards than I do, and a toddler unpacking everything, one can rarely see past the need for tidying to actually clean. In the future when my kids are big enough to do chores, the standards will improve and most of this will be done weekly or fortnightly, the fridge as required. Though I will never polish wooden furniture or expect the kids to either.

Rosie- thinking it must be nice having kids old enough not to need to unload the pantry all over the house and pull all the dvds and books off the shelves. When is that, anyway?

polish wood furniture

scrub bathtub/shower

Michelle T

bath / shower - every few days,

mop floors every week.

clean fridge only when it looks dirty.

I have never polished furniture

now what about washing the ceilings?? my mother-in -law pointed out that I haven't been doing that.

I actually had never looked up, other than sweeping the cobwebs, I hadn't thought anyone washed ceilings except just before painting:D

now what about washing the ceilings?? my mother-in -law pointed out that I haven't been doing that.

I actually had never looked up, other than sweeping the cobwebs, I hadn't thought anyone washed ceilings except just before painting:D

Do they get dirty? Our ceilings are quite high, 14' in the center of our living room, and around 12' everywhere else. I'm not secure enough on a ladder to scrub ceilings!

When our house was painted in early 2007, all the ceilings were painted. I figure that ought to be good enough for at least the next ten years or more!

Michelle T

polish wood furniture

scrub bathtub/shower

Michelle T

I think I'm going to try to do these chores a bit more often! I'm good about keeping the bathroom reasonably clean, vacuuming, mopping kitchen/bathroom, and dishes and laundry, but not so great about the other stuff.

Michelle T

How often do you do the following?

clean inside of refrigerator every Thursday (Friday is trash day and I don't like to leave the gunk stinking up the trash for a week!)

dust knickknacks thoroughly I don't own knickknacks. If it's something that needs dusting - probably when I can't see it anymore. Otherwise I'm of the "If it's not used to the point it gathers dust - get rid of it or pack it away." mentality.

polish wood furniture LOL about as often as I dust. In fact, I consider this dusting wood furniture. About once a year. I don't really care much for buying furniture that needs special treatment. And with my size family, really nothing here gets untouched long enough to gather dust.

scrub bathtub/shower About once a month. Which sounds disgusting now I think about it. However, we never leave dirt or whatever in them. They are always rinsed out after baths and showers.

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen Bathroom - well I figure that's what the water after the kids' baths is for. We use the floor towel to "mop" the water off. Hey it's even soapy water! Twice a week the kids clean the sinks/toilet/tile floor/mirrors with vinegar. Seems good enough to me.

Kitchen - once a week.

Entry tile floors - once a week we (we as in a kid has this chore) take a spray bottle and washrag to them. just not big enough to bother with a mop and bucket.

now what about washing the ceilings?

ug. now that you mention it. I think this is a spring/fall cleaning thing around here. the intake vetns get all dryer lent catcher looking and since we're up there anyways....

BUT I just recalled this is the first home we've own with lots of crown molding and wood panelling - which looks pretty dusty after a while.

I think I'll have to add taking some Old English to the paneling in the house to that twice a year spring/fall cleaning list. It does look pretty nappy now that's it been brought to my attention. Esp in the kitchen and dining...

clean inside of refrigerator goal-weekly reality-whenever it gets dirty, although I wipe spills

dust knickknacks thoroughly I keep as few as possible as I'm not a nick nack person and hate dusting all those little crevices

polish wood furniture I loath polishing and not only get headaches from the polishes but consider it a waste of my limited time here on earth ;), so don't buy any furniture that requires it

scrub bathtub/shower goal-several times a week reality-the bath at bathtime for ds, which in winter is about once a week

mop floors OTHER THAN bathroom/kitchen sadly, they're all carpet which requires vacuuming. Thankfully, you didn't ask about vacuuming

(a)when it smells bad (b)when the science experiments get out of control

one is supposed to do this?

polish wood furniture

when I'm expecting a family visit

scrub bathtub/shower

kids' bathroom: weekly; den bathroom: every couple of weeks or so; master bathroom: not near as often as perhaps I should

see above re: dusting knick knacks

Michelle T

Feelin' better? :tongue_smilie:

polish wood furniture

scrub bathtub/shower

Michelle T

Clean inside of refrigerator: I throw out old food weekly, but actually wash the shelves? When they get to gooey and sticky.

Dust knickknacks: You mean they actually need dusted?

Polish wood furniture: When company is coming over - probably 1 to 2 times a year. So glad we're not social.

Scrub bathtub/shower: I try to weekly. I try.

Mop floors other than kitchen/bathroom: House is carpeted. Kitchen gets spot wiped daily. I keep old cloth diapers under the sink, get it wet and then skate around on it. Bathroom floor: not often enough, obviously.

I detest housework, but I also detest a messy house. Since a cleaning service is reserved for fantasy island, I downloaded the chore chart from motivated moms

Of course it's not individualized to my house, but it's helping keep on top of the little things that get out of control. I'm going to try to come up with one on my own for next year.

Janet

Erm. Well. I'm squirming a bit over here, but the truth of it is...

I haven't actually washed out the fridge since my mom did it after Schmooey was born. :blushing:

I do not dust. The girls do sometimes, but I don't - I really hate it.

The only floor we have beside the bathroom and kitchen is the wood floor in our dining room, and I try to mop that when I mop the kitchen floor. It's not as often as it should be; I try to get to it every week but it's probably bi-weekly, and I'd say the dining room gets done about every other time, so once a month.

Washing ceilings? Who washes ceilings? I'd wipe them down if I needed to paint them, and when the vents get scary I will take them down and clean around them. I remove spider webs as they appear. But washing the ceilings? Really? Not here.