Menu

s/o Do you or your kids have clothes that water would ruin?

ktgrok

Also wondering if it depends on where you live, as far as weather? I mean, we get some impressive rainstorms here, and umbrella or not, you are going to get wet. I can't imagine having to worry that rain would damage my clothes. 

I did ask DS if he knew water could damage clothes and he was shocked. 

I do know that some things can't stand up to a washer, and should be hand washed. Sometimes I even do that. But in that case it isn't that water hurt them it is the agitation, etc. 

• Like 1

Wow, I had no idea rayon would be in that category. All I could think of was silk! Not sure I know what chiffon even is, sadly. 

Rayon is the worst fabric.  I guess what do you expect of fabric made of wood pulp?  It doesn't retain its shape and often never looks the same after getting washed.  It's a little less bad when it's mixed with other fabrics, which is usually is these days.  There was a time in the 90's, I think, when there were a lot of cheap 100% rayon clothes that all said 'dry-clean only'.  Yeah, it would cost more than the item was worth to dry clean the thing once or twice.  And yes, they would turn into shriveled, misshapen balls if immersed in water.  They were essentially disposable paper clothes.

My kid have ruined at least a few pairs of shoes/fashion boots trudging through snow and slush, if that counts.  As a parent, I know I could tell them not to wear them out in bad weather, but it's just not a big deal to me.  I buy cheap, I replace when I feel like it.  So, if your $20 cool Target or Kohls boots get ruined, you're stuck with crummy looking boots or wearing something else until/unless I feel like shopping or you save up your own money.  No skin off my nose.

I have some things that are meant to be dry-cleaned - a few suit jacket type things in wool, mostly.

But just getting wet would probably not hurt them. 

In fact I have a few dresses that say dry-clean only, and I wash them carefully by hand or on the delicate cycle. 

ETA - I was just thinking of coats.  I have a leather motorcycle jacket I would avoid wearing in the rain, and two Persian lamb coats that would not do well getting wet.

Edited by Bluegoat

Back in my working days I had a few things that had to be dry cleaned or hand washed.  But after kids, no!  I don't buy anything that can't be machine washed.  My girls would also be amazed that a dress might be ruined if it got wet.  

Dh and ds both have suede shoes that they avoid getting wet. Dd has fancy leather boots that she also doesn't wear when it's wet out because she doesn't want them to get discolored/water stained. 

Dh wears nice suits and shoes to work each day, and while a few raindrops aren't a big deal, he's careful to always carry a big umbrella and rubbers that go over his dress shoes since he has to walk about 10-15 minutes from the parking garage to his building. He is extremely careful and fastidious in general, but especially so when he's in his work clothes. 

Rayon is the worst fabric.  I guess what do you expect of fabric made of wood pulp?  It doesn't retain its shape and often never looks the same after getting washed.  It's a little less bad when it's mixed with other fabrics, which is usually is these days.  There was a time in the 90's, I think, when there were a lot of cheap 100% rayon clothes that all said 'dry-clean only'.  Yeah, it would cost more than the item was worth to dry clean the thing once or twice.  And yes, they would turn into shriveled, misshapen balls if immersed in water.  They were essentially disposable paper clothes.

I love rayon, especially for summer dresses and skirts.  It breathes well, and drapes beautifully.  Like any other fabric, there are cheap versions and higher-quality versions.  I have found that it's fine in the washer, so long as the fabric was washed and/or pre-shrunk before being sewn.  So garments I've made using pre-washed rayon are fine in the washer, but a cheap dress like you'd buy at the beach, not so much.  I usually hang rayon to dry, and if it wasn't made by me I gently stretch the seams when I hang it up, to counteract the shrinkage.

I love rayon, especially for summer dresses and skirts.  It breathes well, and drapes beautifully.  Like any other fabric, there are cheap versions and higher-quality versions.  I have found that it's fine in the washer, so long as the fabric was washed and/or pre-shrunk before being sewn.  So garments I've made using pre-washed rayon are fine in the washer, but a cheap dress like you'd buy at the beach, not so much.  I usually hang rayon to dry, and if it wasn't made by me I gently stretch the seams when I hang it up, to counteract the shrinkage.

The rayon I've seen more recently does seem to be a much better quality than what was out in the 90's  - and more often mixed with other fabrics that keep it less wrinkly and help it keep its shape.   

• Like 1

Nope. I've never owned something that would be damaged by water. Not even my wedding dress. Nor have my kids. Heck, I only buy clothes that can be washed and dried in dryer, although my husband has a few things (martial arts uniform) that have to be hung to dry.

When dd was dancing, I'm sure she had costumes that couldn't get wet.   Since then, a few things that can't be machine washed but nothing that would be harmed by getting rained on.  Not even dh's suit jackets and ties.   All our dressy-dresses are hand-wash at this point and I put them in the washer on the "hand wash/wool" setting.

Husbands daily work pants, ties and suit jackets.  I have a couple of dresses and one shirt that are a material that cannot get wet.  Definitely not everyday wear.  My younger kids, no.  I could see buying a formal dress that can't get wet for my girls at some point.  I didn't chime in on the other thread, but I would certainly expect a teenager to NOT get into a water fight in formal clothes.  My 10 year old would know better than that.

I used to have some nice silk tanks for layering.  I had to get rid of them.  I am just that person who always has a spot on her clothes even wearing aprons when I cook.  I don't own anything without stains that won't come out. I donated my nice stuff instead of freaking about it every time I wore it lol.  

My kids don't usually have clothes that are easily damaged.  I think my girl has some dresses that could get snagged.  I pretty much explained the fabric material and warned her about getting it picked.  And she often buys her own dresses which has helped her take care of them.

Husbands daily work pants, ties and suit jackets.  I have a couple of dresses and one shirt that are a material that cannot get wet.  Definitely not everyday wear.  My younger kids, no.  I could see buying a formal dress that can't get wet for my girls at some point.  I didn't chime in on the other thread, but I would certainly expect a teenager to NOT get into a water fight in formal clothes.  My 10 year old would know better than that.

I must've missed the other thread, but absolutely. My kids are young and even they would know to change into play clothes first.