Menu

How to cook burgers without a grill?

pinkmint

We do have a basic charcoal grill however it is a pain in the butt sometimes especially after it's been rusting outside all winter. It just seems like indoor burger cooking attempts always end up with tough, chewy kinda bland burgers. Anyone know how to make burgers turn out good without a grill? Do you need a grill pan? I've heard about cast iron skillets, and I would file that under a pain in the butt method too (the cleaning) so is there any hope other than those things? 

I love them in my electric frying pan - season burgers well & place on an ungreased pan when it's already hot.  Let sit in one spot until cooked about 1/2 way or more (they get a nice texture) & flip til done.  Don't squish down with your flipper.  We love them this way when we can't grill outside.  

• Like 1

We do have a grill, and still always do burgers inside in the cast iron pan. If it's a seasoned, well-used pan nothing is EASIER to clean imo

I cook everything besides boiling water in cast iron, though :cheers2:

I agree that cast iron would be the way to do it. 

Just to show that not all people that went to public school are worldly. When I was about 13 or so, I wanted a burger and the only way I had seen it done was on the grill. So I got the meat out and found a grill rack and put an aluminum pie plate under it and proceeded to "grill" my burger on the electric stove. What I ended up doing is not cooking anything, and melting the plate partially to the burner. I don't remember what happened after that. 

Anyway, your question reminded me of that. I think I am better in the kitchen then I was when I was 13... at least I hope so. Either way, don't use an aluminum pie plate and a grill rack to cook your burger!!

• Like 3

I prefer my grill but it's winter about 7 months of the year here so I often use my panini press.  If I close it, the burgers cook on both sides at the same time and in just a couple of minutes they're done. I always toss on a bit of worcestershire sauce because it gives it some liquid to make it sizzle and helps it to crust a little on the outside. A cast iron pan would be better but I don't have one large enough.   

Hmm. Panini press is looking good these days. Alton Brown says he often uses his. We do have a cast iron skillet and I have given up trying to make sense of it. I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried it so many times and it just ends up a mess of cemented on cooked food.

Edited by pinkmint

I prefer my grill but it's winter about 7 months of the year here so I often use my panini press.  If I close it, the burgers cook on both sides at the same time and in just a couple of minutes they're done. I always toss on a bit of worcestershire sauce because it gives it some liquid to make it sizzle and helps it to crust a little on the outside. A cast iron pan would be better but I don't have one large enough.   

Yes -- we use our George Foreman grill (which I think is like a panini press).  Cooks quickly.

• Like 1

Hmm. Panini press is looking good these days. Alton Brown says he often uses his. We do have a cast iron skillet and I have given up trying to make sense of it. I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried it so many times and it just ends up a mess of cemented on cooked food.

First, buy some bacon. Cut it up and put it in a cold pan. Turn the heat to med-low. Let the bacon cook, scoop it out, and drain the grease (to save for later!). Get crumbles and leftover grease out with a paper towel. That ensures your pan is nicely seasoned. Now crank the heat and get it screaming hot. Let it heat for ~2 minutes or until it starts smoking a bit. Put in your hamburger patties that you seasoned the outside with some salt and pepper or Montreal Steak Seasoning. Let it cook 3 minutes, then flip. 3 more minutes. Top with a slice of cheese, toss in a little water to the pan, and clamp on a lid. Less than 1 minute for the cheese to melt, and they should be at a perfect medium. 

• Like 1

You can also cook them under the broiler, which I think can be nicer than a frying pan.  If you put cheese on top it toasts nicely.

That's what's up! My huz always pops his burgers under the broiler just at the end, and it's always sooooo delicious.

....And I never, ever remember that the broiler even exists, much less that I can use it. I have some kind of delicious food mental block.

Oh how funny. I made burgers in a frying pan for dinner tonight. Mine don't come out tough when done on the stove. Sometimes I'll use the grill pan, but mostly just either a non-stick or stainless steel frying pan. I don't do anything specific because they're being cooked on the stove top rather than the grill.

• Like 1

I use the grill, broiler, or cast it on skillet depending upon my mood. I aways add Emeril's burger seasoning. I found it online and it was all spices I have. Sometimes I throw montreal steak seasoning on them. I think the real trick is to use the 80/20 ground beef. The leaner beef tends to give dry burgers. I use the lean stuff for everything BUT burgers.

I'm not understanding your cast iron issues. Even if it's not seasoned perfectly, a burger shouldn't stick unless you put it in the pan before it got hot.

Edited by KungFuPanda

You have to watch them carefully no matter what method you use. If you do use a pan on the stove you should use a higher quality meat and leave a small pink strip in the center. That's what we do with our grass fed burgers. Then they are juicy without being greasy, which is crucial. Pappy's seasoning is the best, IMO.

We own a panini press and I hate cleaning it because the plates are not removable. If there's such a thing as a panini press with removable plates (I'm sure there is) that might not be a pain in the butt to clean. I'll be honest, I didn't know if you could cook on it. I just use it to heat/flatten sandwiches/poboys lol.

We own a panini press and I hate cleaning it because the plates are not removable. If there's such a thing as a panini press with removable plates (I'm sure there is) that might not be a pain in the butt to clean. I'll be honest, I didn't know if you could cook on it. I just use it to heat/flatten sandwiches/poboys lol.

My Cuisinart Griddler has removable plates and they are reversible- one side is flat and the other side has the ridges. I like the plain side for burgers and the ridges for chicken.  It's easy to clean. 

We always use aluminum foil with our panini press. I honestly don't even know if the plates are removable or not, cause I've never even tried. We use ours for quesadillas as well as sandwiches. The quesadillas get messy, but it's so easy to just swap out the foil in the middle of a batch. It makes it so much easier to cook and clean up.

We use a cast iron skillet. Actually, I guess it's probably called a griddle -- it's the oblong thing with a flat side and a ridged side (flat for burgers and pancakes, ridged for steaks) that fits across two burners.

I use this, but under the broiler (also works great for fajitas). We're using up last fall's venison, which gets dry quickly, so I set a pad of butter on top of them for extra flavor and fat.