Menu

Graduation gift for soon-to-be commuter college student?

tm919

My niece's graduation is coming up soon and I'm so completely clueless on graduation gift ideas! Her mom has historically had a hard time coming up with gift ideas, my niece is going to live at home and commute (so no college dorm accessories), and she has a job so my other grand idea of giving money envelopes also fails... Please help with suggestions if you have any!!

It can be anywhere between $50 and maybe $350 (since there are multiple family members who are also puzzling over what to get her).

Edited by tm919

Particularly for girls, I always give a gift card to a store like Kohl's or Marshall's with a note to buy some new things for themselves. Several have said that they really enjoyed that.

My oldest is a commuter, and we used the checks and gift cards for clothes, a better calculator, school supplies, and textbooks. He needed jeans and t-shirts that weren't quite so worn. We gave him a fancy backpack and a new smart phone.

• Like 1

I was a commuter college student on full scholarship and i would have liked:

Awesome car organizer accessories. I lived in my car. I organized all my books/lab equipment by milk crates.

Maybe an audible subscription. I had to drive through rush hour sometimes, so i got books on cd (ok, i'm old lol).

Some cool bluetooth speaker for the car?

Nice messengar bag?

Good wheeled cart for books etc?

Will she be stydying abroad? If so luggage, travel accessories like plug adapters.

Coffee shop on campus? Gift card/insulated mug

• Like 5

DS commutes.

We bought him an easy to lug around laptop so he could do homework on campus between classes. (No dorm room to go back to and classes are often not back to back)

He would have needed a sturdy backpack if he didn't have one already.

Even with a job, I think cash would be great...books are expensive, snacks between classes can be a luxury while paying for school, classes sometimes have everyone chip in for pizza and sometimes classes require outside events (DS had to attend a concert and write a report for example).

• Like 2

My dd loves to get gift cards to the movie theater. She has trouble justifying $10+ just to see a movie with friends. But, with the movie gift card, it can't be used anywhere else anyway and it almost feels like going to the movies for free. :)

• Like 3

Gas cards seem so obvious. :)

Don't discount cash.  The fact is there are a lot of expenses for busy college students that are driving to college and work - they have NO time to stop and eat at home so they are very eat on the go.

Because she is always on the go, the things I've seen her use the most?

Gas

Eating Out

A really sturdy backpack with a laptop sleeve

laptop

tablet

gps

oil changes

tires

And, despite having a job, she really doesn't like to spend money so she rarely does indulgences.  She's really appreciated Starbucks cards because they allow her to spoil herself without spending money. 

• Like 2

If there is a "nice" gas station on her path that has refillable cups (like Quiktrip has a deal where if you bring in the refillable cup, your drink is way cheap), maybe get a cup/mug like that and put a few gift cards in it. Like a gas card, a card to a couple restaurants near campus, etc. An Amazon card enough for a Student Prime membership might be nice, too.

• Like 2

My son is a commuter college student and has found his headphones to be invaluable.  He studies on campus between classes and needs to block out outside distractions.  We bought him a pair of Beats for his 19th birthday in October and he found them to be so much better than regular headphones.  He uses them daily on campus and at home to block out the household noise that can be distracting. 

• Like 1

If she will be driving to school -- gas card, or prepay her parking pass.

If she will be riding the bus -- campus meal card so she can get meals/snacks, or coffee shop/fast food card if there is somewhere near campus she prefers to eat, or bus pass (if her school doesn't subsidize or roll the cost into tuition).