Menu

Charts Aren't Cheating

Help me devise an argument to convince my 12 yo DD that using charts (e.g. times tables) and notes are NOT cheating.  She has cognitive differences that make memorizing things much, much more difficult than most kids. We work on stuff like strategies for multiplication facts but it just takes a long time.   So, in the meantime, charts/notes are the solution.  

Unfortunately, she doesn't want to use them because she said it feels like cheating.  I am genuinely impressed with her desire to perform her work with integrity but, charts aren't cheating.

I tried explaining that her dad, who has an obnoxiously high IQ and is fantastic at math, uses reference sources and calculators at work all.the.time.  She said, "But, he's already been through school and learned it."  

:banghead:

So, we've reached a stalemate. Hit me with your best pro-charts/notes argument.

Ok, when I was a special Ed teacher, I'd regularly get gen Ed teachers complaining about my students being able to use accommodations- charts, extended time, etc.. Grrr.

Anyways- my standard line was "it's not cheating for a kid or adult who has vision problems to wear eye glasses. The same is true of learning disabilities & needing to use charts or other accomodations. They help level the playing field"

• Like 14

You've probably said stuff along these lines, but the chart helps you learn (unlike the calculator) so if she'd use it then she'd be multitasking. The more you refer to it and really use the information - the formulas, the times tables, whatever - the more it gets burned in your brain. If she just sits there trying to memorize it, that doesn't do (for her anyway and it typically doesn't work without context beyond a certain point for most people) it and it doesn't give her practice with the higher skills.

• Like 8

Alrighty. Just because I've memorized many drug doses for animals doesn't mean I don't keep a drug handbook right with me. And I used a handbook all through school, too. I don't know entire tables of references for lab work either. I use my tables. Has nothing to do with how I interpret that lab work. Knowing the causes of an elevated white cell count (and which cell lines do what) has nothing to do with knowing the reference numbers.

I use tables, charts and notes to free up as much of my mind as possible for the important stuff--working with the numbers and the meanings. I'd far rather spend my mental energy in understanding and devising a plan than keeping track of a bunch of references.

• Like 4

Cheating is "breaking the rules of the situation" -- but the person in charge of the situation almost always has the ability to set the rules.

Examples:

In soccer, it's cheating to touch the ball with your hands. In dodgeball, hands are allowed, even if you play with soccer balls. Sometimes little kids' groups have extra rules in dodgeball (ie, no hits above the shoulders) but teens play with rules that allow those kinds of hits. What's cheating depends on "which rules, for this group, today" -- not on rules that come out if the air and supposedly would always apply.

Similarly, if you are in the military, you might have a swimming test. If it's a test of how long you can tread water, it's cheating to wear a life jacket, and you are expected to wear a swim suit. On the other hand, if it's a test of how far you can swim in cold water with a life jacket and clothing on -- it would be cheating to wear a swimsuit (instead of clothing) and it would be expected to wear a life jacket.

As a college prof, I just created a difficult final exam for my students. It has two parts: part one is the 'memory exam' -- but part two is an open-book exam. There are two different sets of rules for the same test! It's certainly cheating to use books for the first part, but books are a nessisary tool for the second part. A student would not be more honourable if they refused to use their books during the second part, would they? It would simply be foolish.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 6

It's cheating if it isn't permitted and you're sneaking. Since it IS permitted in her case, she doesn't have to sneak her charts, and it's not cheating.

Alternatively, using a chart isn't cheating unless you're being tested on your recall of whatever's on the chart. If you were testing if she had memorized her times tables, using a chart would be cheating. If you're instructing her in algebra, and she's using a chart because she doesn't have her times tables memorized, it's not cheating.

• Like 2

It is not cheating.

But, maybe it would feel less like cheating and help her learn faster if she made her own chart every moring to use with the day's work, once you have learned how a few times, it is easier to fill out.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/multiplication-matrix.pdf

This is what I do with my son. Whenever he needs to use a multiplication chart, he fills out a blank matrix.

• Like 2

1. She has to know how to use the chart. The chart doesn't explain how it's used. She's using her knowledge of multiplication to read the chart and get the answer. 

2. The questions she's answering (I am assuming) are not "8x5=40," but more of the "John has eight students, and each student needs five pencils. How many pencils does John need?" variety. In this case, the part of the problem requiring solution is arriving at 8x5, not necessarily what's on the other side of an equals sign. 

3. Did she ever have to sound words out while learning to read? Currently sound words out, or perhaps reach for a dictionary for unknown words? These are the steps to learning. Does she currently need to sound every word out? No, because of that early practice. 

I do like the idea of writing the chart out each time, though, if she's resistant to using it. 

• Like 4

Every post has been very helpful.  Thank you :)

Ok, when I was a special Ed teacher, I'd regularly get gen Ed teachers complaining about my students being able to use accommodations- charts, extended time, etc.. Grrr.

Anyways- my standard line was "it's not cheating for a kid or adult who has vision problems to wear eye glasses. The same is true of learning disabilities & needing to use charts or other accomodations. They help level the playing field"

Exactly. 

You've probably said stuff along these lines, but the chart helps you learn (unlike the calculator) so if she'd use it then she'd be multitasking. The more you refer to it and really use the information - the formulas, the times tables, whatever - the more it gets burned in your brain. If she just sits there trying to memorize it, that doesn't do (for her anyway and it typically doesn't work without context beyond a certain point for most people) it and it doesn't give her practice with the higher skills.

I like this.  Using the times table helps you learn the multiplication facts. It's not cheating, because it's part of the lesson.  

It is not cheating.

But, maybe it would feel less like cheating and help her learn faster if she made her own chart every moring to use with the day's work, once you have learned how a few times, it is easier to fill out.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/multiplication-matrix.pdf

I really, really like this idea.  I found some partially filled in times tables that she could start with.  

• Like 2

For closed books tests/exams when I was in school, some of us would just write down formulas from memory right after reading through the test booklet. That way we won't forgot or mix up the formulas when we are tired halfway through the tests/exams.

My DS10 wrote out the entire multiplication table for math every day until he remembers them. Now when he forgets, he recites in his head. It did slow him down when factorising quadratic equation so he sometimes use the quadratic formula to solve even an easily factorised equation.

Yes to all of the above. Also reminder her that the difference between cheaters and learners is that cheaters are to lazy to try so they sneak. Learners know that mastering something takes time and they are willing to work and to take advantage of opportunities to keep learning even if they haven't yet mastered something.

• Like 1

Help me devise an argument to convince my 12 yo DD that using charts (e.g. times tables) and notes are NOT cheating.  She has cognitive differences that make memorizing things much, much more difficult than most kids. We work on stuff like strategies for multiplication facts but it just takes a long time.   So, in the meantime, charts/notes are the solution.  

Unfortunately, she doesn't want to use them because she said it feels like cheating.  I am genuinely impressed with her desire to perform her work with integrity but, charts aren't cheating.

I tried explaining that her dad, who has an obnoxiously high IQ and is fantastic at math, uses reference sources and calculators at work all.the.time.  She said, "But, he's already been through school and learned it."  

:banghead:

So, we've reached a stalemate. Hit me with your best pro-charts/notes argument.

Are dictionaries cheating?

Are indexes cheating?

Are street signs or maps cheating?

Sure, at some point, you internalize the more familiar ones, but basically it's a map. If you understand the why, using charts to help you get the information quick so that you can work on more complex problems is not cheating any more than using a map is cheating, or using a dictionary is cheating.

The reason humanity has progressed to this point is our ability to outsource data storage--either by group learning (narrative / oral culture), writing (written culture) or now through electronic storage (e-culture).

It's cheating to sneak. If someone is giving you a multiplication test, don't use the chart.

Otherwise, fair game.

I use a cheat sheet for certain rare but useful commands at work every day.

I totally empathize with your daughter though. I can see her point. However, it's not cheating to make the most of human development. We could never have gotten to the moon without charts.

• Like 1

When I was a student, I made cheat charts all in the margins of my exams.  That was allowable.

So, if it helps her feel better about it, tell her to take 5min before the assignment and jot down some skip counting or mini x chart or whatever to refer to as she fills in the rest of the page.

We have a huge spelling chart on the wall for my DD who has dyslexia and has a hard time with it. Her spelling is improving so much now she doesnt have to completely rely on her memory.

The CLA math lessons my kids are doing have lessons on how to refer to a maths chart so they dont have to remember everything.

This exactly. 

As for the OP, cheating is when you use something that you are not supposed to use. It's being sneaky and lying. 

If someone is allowing you to use a resource to assist you, it's not cheating. 

Edited by Southern Ivy

I would point out that you want her to focus on the concept she is trying to learn, not her multiplication. So, if she is doing the area of a rectangle, the learning activity is the formula for the area of a rectangle, not how to multiply. If the activity is a multi-digit multiplication problem, the learning activity is the sequence of multiplying, lining up results and adding. Single digit multiplication is again - not what she is learning.

Explain that she needs to work on the concept being taught and the multiplication table will help her do that. It would only be cheating if you were trying to teach the concept of single digit multiplication, she didn't understand the concept and used the table instead of gaining understanding. Understanding and memorizing are not the same thing. If she understands, but can't memorize, then you use a memory aid so your memory doesn't hold you back. 

My ds with disabilities has never and still does not accept that accommodations for LD's are the same thing as glasses for someone who can't see. I get that, but he absolutely does/will not. However, he can accept that the physical act of writing isn't the point of an exercise, therefor using a computer and typing is perfectly acceptable in place of hand writing an essay.

• Like 1