Menu

Watership Down

Night Elf

I'm talking about the book, not the movie. I am trying to decide if I want to continue it. Lately I've had a really bad time dealing with books that are intense. I don't like overly sad books. I don't like bullying, the underdog having to rise up from the gutter to find happiness. And most especially I need a book with a happy ending. Will I like Watership Down? It's such a long book, I don't know how far into it I want to get before I decide whether to continue with it. It's supposedly a kids book but it's huge! I usually read shorter books.

There are two books I was forced to read when I was in high school that I vowed I would never make my kids read. One was Watership Down. Hated every minute of it. I thought it the stupidest thing I'd ever read.

(The other was Red Badge of Courage. Boring as all get out.)

I totally agree with you about Red Badge of Courage.

Watership Down is a favorite of mine. It is sad and intense, though. It doesn't sound like what the OP would enjoy.

• Like 1

I read it for the first time a few months ago! I loved it. I think you'd like it. Some rabbits do die, and they feel strong feelings. But I think you'll be able to bear in mind that they're all rabbits :)

I also descibe myself as not being able to deal with intensity in entertainment right now. Fwiw, I know that's very subjective.

No, definitely not assigned reading. *laugh* I was looking for new reading material and to be honest, I prefer books for kids. So I'm using the Sonlight catalog and the Classical Reader, a supposedly comprehensive reading list for K - 12 that I got from the Classical Academic Press.

I'm listening to those of you who said it's intense and sad. Hmm.. I can't change how I feel just because it's animals. As I get into the book, they'll be real people. I read 4 chapters and it's only a small handful of rabbits who leave the warren. That worries me. They'll feel the loss of a fellow rabbit quite keenly I'm sure. I'm going to read a bit more and see how I feel. I feel like such a wimp. :)

• Like 2

It's one of my favorite books. But it is quite sad and intense. I'm willing to bet you'd not like it based on what you said.

It does have very intense, sad parts. It ends on a happy(ish) note, but it does take a while to get there.

I agree. Watership Down is probably my favorite book of all time--it's in the top five, at least. But yes, it gets intense for a long while, and even the happy ending is bittersweet. It doesn't sound like what you're looking for at the moment. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

I'm listening to those of you who said it's intense and sad. Hmm.. I can't change how I feel just because it's animals. As I get into the book, they'll be real people.

They are very much real people as you read. And I often feel more emotional anguish when I read about animals suffering than I do when it's humans who are suffering (can't quite put my finger on why--maybe because human suffering is too huge for my brain to really comprehend? Anyway...).

IMO, Watership Down is a very worthwhile read. There's so much to be gained and learned from in their experiences. But not if you're already sensitive to that kind of stuff. Don't feel bad about putting it aside. There are so many other wonderful books to be read!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

No, definitely not assigned reading. *laugh* I was looking for new reading material and to be honest, I prefer books for kids. So I'm using the Sonlight catalog and the Classical Reader, a supposedly comprehensive reading list for K - 12 that I got from the Classical Academic Press.

I'm listening to those of you who said it's intense and sad. Hmm.. I can't change how I feel just because it's animals. As I get into the book, they'll be real people. I read 4 chapters and it's only a small handful of rabbits who leave the warren. That worries me. They'll feel the loss of a fellow rabbit quite keenly I'm sure. I'm going to read a bit more and see how I feel. I feel like such a wimp. :)

You are not a wimp.  :)   You are sensitive to certain things and you recognize that sensitivity.  That seems pretty healthy to me.  

I enjoyed the book but at the same time it was very hard to get through emotionally.  I get just as attached to animal characters in a story as human characters.  I totally understand your view.  I found some scenes in that book terrifically painful to read and even though I read it a very long time ago the feelings of sadness and pain still linger.

Hey, if you do make it through the book, let us know how you feel about it at the end.  I'd be curious.  :)

• Like 3

I think it's a worthwhile read.  I read it for the first time last year with my 10 year old.  We both loved it.  But, it might not be what you're looking for right now.  

And, come to think of it, it was a gift from my sister who had read it in a children's literature class in university.  She loved it so much she gave a copy to ds for Christmas.

I read it and I remember a deep feeling of melancholy around reading it. I still feel that feeling when I see the title.

And that song in the movie, Bright Eyes. Oh my. The chorus:

Bright eyes,

Burning like fire.

Bright eyes,

How can you close and fail?

How can the light that burned so brightly

Suddenly burn so pale?

Bright eyes.

That chorus makes me cry.

I'd stay away from reading it if I were you.

I have to say your method of picking books is flawed. Sonlight goes for emotionally over the top books.  You might reconsider your starting list. :)

We did Watership Downs as a read aloud. Ds and I loved it. Dd was ok with it. I'm like you in that the bunnies become very real to me and i don't separate their struggles from those of human characters. There are many difficulties and deaths along the way. It is an adventure story and as others have said, it can be intense.

If you can't handle any bad things happening to those bunnies, stop reading. If you are getting attached and want to see them through, the ending is pretty good.

I generally stay away from melancholy or sad books, but I really enjoyed Watership Down. I read it for the first time last year. It did have some sad parts, and there was lots of struggle and peril. But overall, it ended acceptably for me (I definitely don't do books that end sadly).

I totally agree with you about Red Badge of Courage.

Watership Down is a favorite of mine. It is sad and intense, though. It doesn't sound like what the OP would enjoy.

Same sentiments.

And i truly disliked the WD film. It was a little too psychedelic for me.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

It seems modeled on epic poetry (particularly the Aeneid and the Odyssey) and it's sad in a lot of the same ways. Even when things are going well, a sadness seems to hang over the story. I LOVE it though... can't wait until my daughters are old enough to (hopefully) share my love of this book.

There will always be two special places in my heart for Hazel and Blackberry.

Edited by tm919
  • Like 3

I loved it as a youth, and tried to read a couple other books by the same author. Watership Down was by far the most upbeat and "happy." I think the author wrote in a similar time period as Tolkien wrote LotR, and Adams was more depressed, probably.

I just re-read it a few months ago and still really enjoyed it. There is a happy ending, and not that many actual deaths. My boys would probably be a little disappointed about that. ;)

Rats, I'll listen to you and skip this book for now. I understand it's a good book but it sounds like it isn't for me at this point.

Books that I like that were good but not gut-wrenching, and were not very long:

"Because of Winn-Dixie"

And

"The Penderwicks."

I have found that some kid books I liked as a child, are very different for me emotionally now. I am just not engaging in the same way.

I think this is the that kind of book.

For these very emotionally difficult books, I am not reading them for now.

Even something as simple as the favoritism for Mary in the Little House books ----- as a child I just identified with Laura, and thought "I have felt that way before, things have not been fair for me sometimes, too" or thar kind of thing.

Now I read it and I am identifying more as a mom.

Edited by Lecka

It's one of my favorite books. But it is quite sad and intense. I'm willing to bet you'd not like it based on what you said.

Yes.  If you don't want a deep and sad book, put it down now.  I have no idea why it was ever categorized as a children's book - it's a bit of a waste on anyone younger than about eighth grade, IMHO.  That said, my middle kids love it - it's about bunnies. But I don't believe they grasped the deeper thematic elements.

• Like 2

I have to say your method of picking books is flawed. Sonlight goes for emotionally over the top books.  You might reconsider your starting list. :)

Oh, but I'm starting in the lower cores with easy books that are interesting, like The Light at Tern Rock. Naturally I read it in one sitting but it was a sweet story.