Menu

I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a dress...

SparklyUnicorn

Plenty of males in my area wear skirts. Usually they are bagpipers or cross dressers, but they dont view a skirt as a solely feminine item.

I was just thinking about "Kilt Wednesdays" that a group of boys started at ds' college. LOL, they were very regular with it all through the fall and into early winter. First major freezing cold, snowy Wednesday? Not a single kilt. I asked ds about it since he was a part of the club, and his response was something to the effect that Scottish solidarity amongst males in his age range only goes so far, and they had made it "that far". :lol:

Around me, dresses (everyday, special occasions most women usually wear dresses) come out in late spring and hit their peak in the middle of the muggy summer.  In the winter/early spring, I rarely see them mostly on young girls.  Myself, not a dress fan.  I love the look, but I don't feel comfortable with them on.  Of course, that could be do the toddler constantly pulling on me, wanting to be picked up, and play on the floor with me.  :)

So yes, I do see women in dresses but it's more common for them not to wear dresses for everyday.

Plenty of males in my area wear skirts. Usually they are bagpipers or cross dressers, but they dont view a skirt as a solely feminine item.

Uh, cross dressers wear dresses *because* they see them as feminine items (or, at least that's my understanding of cross dressers).

Also, I said *that* dress, the one regentrude linked to. I sort of want a denim dress now like I had before.

Also, I said *that* dress, the one regentrude linked to. I sort of want a denim dress now like I had before.

The person who sits a few rows in front of me at church each Sunday rocks the Utilikilt.  They have a couple of different colors and always look nice and put together.  Not a dress, but a nice option.

https://www.utilikilts.com/

I just spent a week in Dallas at a conference and I wore dresses myself two of the days because they are cooler in the Dallas heat than suits.  Dresses are pretty common here, though I suspect there are more skirts getting worn that full dresses as people here like layers.

Some of the dresses I wear double as long tunics because I wear them over leggings - ankle length in winter, capri length in summer.  Hides the scars on my knees.....

I see dresses every day although I couldn't say I see more dresses than pants. My older dd always wears dresses, always has. The other day she showed up in a pair of jeans, and I about fainted. I like skirts and tops myself, but every morning I just grab a pair of yoga pants or comfy, worn out jeans. I don't know why I don't wear skirts more often.

I tend to wear skirts more than dresses (hard to find dresses that I like the look of on me and that are sufficiently long. I prefer mid-calf not mid-thigh)  My daughter wore a dress to school today, with leggings underneath because it is currently chilly around here.

• Like 1

The community college is on my way out to the highway so I pass by it usually multiple times per day. I frequently see the young women wearing casual dresses. In the cooler weather with leggings and boots. In the warmer weather with sandals.

ETA: This is the style I usually see: http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2487000/juniors-iz-byer-california-pintuck-dress.jsp?pfm=rrrecs-pdp-gtab1

Edited by Crimson Wife

I see dresses every day although I couldn't say I see more dresses than pants. My older dd always wears dresses, always has. The other day she showed up in a pair of jeans, and I about fainted. I like skirts and tops myself, but every morning I just grab a pair of yoga pants or comfy, worn out jeans. I don't know why I don't wear skirts more often.

maybe you need to find the skirt equivalent of yoga pants?  Something in a similar fabric that won't be a big deal to wash or get dirty.

• Like 2

The Mountain Hardware dress wasn't currently available but I did end up buying a dress and skirt from REI because of your post.

There are dresses for us tomboys - those made by outdoor companies that make backpacking gear. The Mountain Hardwear Loess dress is my favorite

https://www.rei.com/product/827030/mountain-hardwear-loess-dress

I love the Territory Ahead Assam one for winter - extremely comfortable

https://www.territoryahead.com/product/assam-velour-dress.do?sortby=priceDescend%3B

Younger DS goes to public school. Picking him up today I counted and in the 4 classes of 25 for each K and 1st grade I saw 12 girls in dresses. So assuming an even gender split 12/100. An even mix of ll bean/hanna andersen/whatever and target/kohls/etc and homemade. Only 3 parents were in dresses. Interestingly all 3 parents were various types of orthodox but none of the kids were.  All the ortho kids(muslim or jewish) were in skirts. For reference it was seasonally warm here, low 50s, So in the same set of classes 9 of the boys were wearing shorts.

So yeah, dresses aren't uncommon here.

I live in the Deep South and rarely see dresses. As in, I wonder what someone is dressed up for when I even see them in a sundress. I guess we're just too casual around here. I don't even remember any one at church wearing dresses save for two sisters.

I don't own a dress or skirt either. After years of Catholic school, I've met my lifetime quota.

I don't wear dresses often due to them being a pain to nurse in. Now that my youngest is 3 I just am sort of out of the habit, lol. I do have a few that I wear to church that I like. And thanks to another post in this thread now I want this one...it's exactly the kind of thing I like but I can't imagine spending that much without trying it on first. https://www.rei.com/product/895176/the-north-face-heartwood-dress

• Like 2