Menu

Who's Up for a Pantry/Freezer Challenge?

JumpyTheFrog

I need to clean out my pantry and I want to cut down on food waste. Who's interested in a challenge where for the rest of the month we focus on using up produce before it goes bad and using up all those "why did I buy this anyway?" type ingredients? This will hopefully have the side effect of helping with the food budget this month.

I need to use up:

-pine nuts
-black bean pasta
-some brown rice I bought in 2008
-kale- oops, already went bad
-eggs from February
-a volunteer spaghetti squash that grew in my garden last summer used
-some sort of cranberry cheese spread
-sour cream turned into cheesecake
-all sorts of beans I bought in 2008
-various sauces and condiments (Don't we all need to do this?)
-pickles we made five years ago
-dehydrated strawberries

If you want to join, post a list of some or all the things you need to use up before they go bad or to make more space for food you actually eat.

Edited by HoppyTheToad
  • Like 1

Did you come look in my pantry before you made your list?  Because I think that I have a lot of those things - possibly with the same dates.

At any rate, I'm going to try to join in.  Cooking is not top of the list right now as I'm trying to work full time and homeschool and keep house but we shall see.  

Here's my list:

-black bean pasta

-bean from 2008

-large bag of greens if they are still edible

-Boursin cheese spread

-apple sauce I canned in 2014 (about 20 cans left)

-pears I canned in 2014(5 cans left)

-huge container salsa

-coconut flour

-vegetable thins crackers that no one will eat

-jarred artichoke hearts

-antipasto

-jarred bean salad

-frozen green beans

As for your pine nuts, I just add those to salads.  For the old eggs, those are the perfect eggs to make hard boiled eggs from (and then I also add those to salads if we don't eat them quick enough).

I adore pine nuts!  They are so expensive but they don't last long here.  My favorite is to have them in pasta.  But they are good in salads also.  This is my favorite, I use way more pine nuts than it says, at least 1/2 cup.  (instructions are for husband ;)

Fusilli Michelangelo with Roasted Chicken

Ingredients

·         2-3 tablespoons (or more) sundried tomatoes from jar

·         1/2 pound whole-wheat fusilli Ă¢â‚¬â€œ use whole package

·         4 cups sliced mushrooms and washed

·         2 tablespoons olive oil

·         2 garlic cloves, minced Ă¢â‚¬â€œ from jar use 2 spoons

·         1/2 cup fresh basil

·         1 1/2 cups tomato sauce

·         1/2 cup grated Parmesan

·         1 rotisserie chicken

·         2 cups spinach leaves

·         2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts

·         1/3 cup grated Parmesan

Preparation

Cook fusilli; reserve 1/2 cup cooking water.

While pasta is cooking, wash the mushrooms.

Cook mushrooms in olive oil in a nonstick skillet on med-med high 1 minute. SautĂƒÂ© 5 minutes more or until brown and soft. While cooking mushrooms, cut up the sundried tomatoes a bit with scissors.  Wash the basil and cut up with scissors.   If the spinach looks big, tear up a bit. 

When mushrooms are ready, add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add basil and sun-dried tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Add tomato sauce; bring to a simmer.  If sauce looks thick, add some of the pasta water Ă¢â‚¬â€œ otherwise discard.

While simmering, remove chicken from the rotisserie chicken.

To the sauce, add pasta, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, meat from rotisserie chicken, and 2 cups spinach; toss. Top with toasted pine nuts, and grated 1/3 cup grated Parmesan.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 1

Pinenuts are great in salads, pasta dishes, with green beans or carrots (fry onions and pinenuts and add steamed veggies) or as part of a bread crumb crust on fish. And in pesto, of course. We're never without pinenuts!

My list:

polenta

French-style green lentils

Red lentils

Pasta flour

Chana dahl

Another type of dahl - where is it?

Corn meal (pap or putu in South Africa)

Couscous

Semolina flour

Thai sticky rice

Green raita seasoning mix

Rava dosa mix

Sambhar mix

Butter chicken masala

Vietnamese rice paper wraps

We live in an area with lots of migrants and supermarkets that cater to their tastes. It's great for someone who loves trying new foods, but I always forget that new recipes take time and planning! On a day to day basis tried and tested recipes are so much easier!

Should anyone think of donating stuff to a food bank - i volunteered several months (until the car crash) at a very large central collection/processing facility that got the food from donation to smaller food banks.  Part of what we did was relabel donations and/or bulk purchases with the Northern Illinois food pantry generic label.  What we NEVER seemed to have time to do was sort through all the individual donations from folks that piled up in the corner.  While we were allowed to send out non-moldy breads, meats, etc. only slightly past the expiration date, canned/boxed foods past their date had to be tossed. SO do not donate anything outdated. Also - if you have no use for an oddment, odds are no one else does, either. 

me, me, me

We are moving soon and NEED to eat up our stuff or we will end up tossing it.

I really need to do an inventory this week.  I bet we could get by with only produce, eggs, milk, and bread purchases for the next 30 days.

I've never purchased pine nuts because I generally despise pesto, but there is a recipe for a roasted red pepper pesto that I ran across yesterday to use as a tomato-free (and basil-free, blech) sub for pizza sauce. I bet that would be good tossed with the pasta or squash.

We're sort of in the middle of a pantry challenge, and one of the eye opening things has been how much packaged stuff we had, even single-ingredient items. I was taking out trash and recycling sometimes twice a day when we were trying to use up pantry items. I'm now aiming for a more minimalist, limited pantry, with mostly bulk ingredients. I'll probably keep a box of packaged sick and power/water outage food, to be replenished every 6 or so months, but other than that I'd like to move toward more bulk ingredients. Even if that means adjusting some of our recipes, or having to jettison them altogether.

The only thing I found today that needs a creative use is the instant breakfast packets. Maybe I'll just save those for fake/banana ice cream this summer.

• Like 1

We ate half of the corn meal last night - and I carefully kept it to half, even though it meant slightly smaller portions so that I have enough for a second meal, rather than leaving an awkward leftover portion.

Today I used up all the semolina flour, and a little of the pasta flour making homemade tagliatelle. The pasta is in the freezer for now, but it's much more usable in this form than it was as flour, so it's definite progress.

post-11183-0-74849700-1458624473_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Canned beans:

http://iowagirleats.com/2012/12/04/best-ever-black-bean-soup-with-cilantro-lime-rice/

(I omit the spices and cilantro, still yummy)

Dry beans:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/70312/refried-beans-without-the-refry/

Then you can make up a bunch of burritos and freeze them for quick lunches.

Cranberry cheese spread:

I sometimes make sandwiches with deli meat (chicken or turkey), cream cheese, and cranberry jelly. The cheese spread should substitute well for both condiments. Serve it with a salad.

Pickles:

When I feel like a finger food meal (i.e. too hot or too tired to cook), I'll serve crackers with a variety of cheeses, pickles, and olives.

Canned pears:

http://www.eatcannedpears.com/recipes/family/54

use 1/4 c balsalmic vinegar in place of the red vinegar and serve with rice (my girls beg for this meal)

Ruth

• Like 1

Me!!  My pantry has become an overgrown, disorganized mess!  It's also Lent for me, so this is the perfect time to save a little money and use up what I already have.  My issues that I have a picky husband.   Much of what I'll use will be for me for lunch.

I don't have a list right now, but I'll be following this thread for encouragement.

I filled a big storage container with not quite expired and mystery expiration date foods. :)

- bag of flour

- bag of dry masa

- raw cashews

- baking chocolate

- Trader Joe's cocoa (not old, but everyone prefers a different brand, so no one will bake with it)

- Vietnamese crepe powder

- coconut creme powder

- panic breadcrumbs

- 2 containers of protein powder

- half eaten fideo noodle packets

- orzo

- brown lentil

- raw unsalted almond butter

- graham flour

- 2 old jello packets

- Indonesian chicken spices

- box of tabouli

- box of white bean & kale soup

- box of shell noodles (someone left a handful in there  :glare: )

- canned kidney beans

- canned navy beans

- corn grits

- packet of creamy dill dip

A neighbor brought over a bag of oranges so I'm adding those to my list. 

- 23 oranges

-some brown rice I bought in 2008

Chances are very, very good that the brown rice is now rancid (unless you kept it in the freezer - maybe).  It's eight years old.  I try to keep mine in the fridge and use within a few months.  I think this one is a clear loss - just toss it.  It's not worth the labor to cook it, as it will be nasty-tasting.

Will come back later to add some positive ideas to the thread!

Edited by justasque

Ok, I put some pine nuts on my salad today. They were okay, but I didn't especially like them. I'll try to find something else to use them in.

I think they are much better cooked.  They soften.  They're amazing in pesto.  You can even buy jarred pesto and add extra pine nuts.

Orzo:

http://girlandthekitchen.com/panera-copycat-lemon-orzo-soup/

It's what I make instead of traditional chicken noodle soup. This is fantastic when someone in the household is feeling sick.

Grits:

You can use in place of cornmeal for cornbread or corn muffins. The texture is coarser, but it works. Maybe do a cowboy-themed meal with some baked beans.

Or in place of cornmeal in this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/186802/whole-grain-pancakes/

Canned kidney beans:

red beans and rice, spiced with cayenne pepper and a hint of butter

Protein powder:

Make a big vat of oatmeal and toss it in. Depending on flavor/sweetness, I might add a T of brown sugar or maple syrup. If nothing else, the Trader Joes cocoa will hide a lot, and the kids will think it's awesome having "chocolate" for breakfast.

Almond butter:

Use in place of peanut butter in a cookie recipe.

Ruth

Edited by rutheart
  • Like 1

Chances are very, very good that the brown rice is now rancid (unless you kept it in the freezer - maybe). It's eighteen years old. I try to keep mine in the fridge and use within a few months. I think this one is a clear loss - just toss it. It's not worth the labor to cook it, as it will be nasty-tasting.

Well, when I bought it 8 years ago I vacuum sealed it. Does that change your opinion?

Well, when I bought it 8 years ago I vacuum sealed it. Does that change your opinion?

Oops, I did the math wrong (in a hurry to get out the door to an activity) - you're right, it's only eight years old.  But that's still very old, for brown rice.  

Much of what I've read has been pretty negative about long-term storage of brown rice.  Refrigerating or freezing can prolong its life, but by months, not years.  I've seen only anecdotal info about vacuum sealing, and even that mentions that some methods don't work.  Really, the only way to find out is to open it.  I'd do so with a back-up plan for dinner in place.  Cook it on its own (rather than putting other ingredients in with it in case it needs to be tossed), and be sure to smell it before cooking, and then smell again after cooking, and then taste it to be sure.  

But honestly, unless money is very, very seriously tight, I'd toss it.

I love brown rice - I'm actually eating it for dinner this evening, after eating it for lunch this afternoon.    But for me, it works best in the part of my pantry (or actually refrigerator) rotation that cycles pretty quickly, so that it's eaten no more than a few months after purchase.  

It's hard to "eat what you store, store what you eat" when you are aiming for a healthy diet based on whole grain, fresh foods.  And it's hard to toss something you put so much effort into.  But don't feel you have to make perfect, zero-waste use of leftovers.  Do what you can, and don't sweat the rest.  If something has to get tossed (and it remains to be seen about the rice), learn from it and move on.  An empty space in your pantry is better than a space filled with something you can't or, realistically, won't, eat.   

Edited by justasque
  • Like 1

--Saute some veggies, and towards the end add in the pine nuts.  Serve over black bean pasta.  Veggies could include onion, carrot, red or green peppers, zucchini, spinach, eggplant, mushrooms - not all of these at once, but whatever you have available that is fresh.  Top with a little cheese if you like.

--Or, cook the spaghetti squash, serve over black bean pasta, sprinkle with pine nuts.

--Hard boil the eggs, and put them in a salad.  Or make dyed Easter eggs with them.  Or deviled eggs.

--Put the strawberries into oatmeal, or perhaps some muffins.

--The beans are pretty old.  You could cook them and make a simple bean dip, perhaps with a dollop of sour cream instead of the olive oil.  

--Set out the cheese spread with some crackers before dinner.

--Put the kale in a fritatta or omelette made with the eggs.

--Check the dates on the sauces and toss those that have expired.  (Are they opened?  If not, you can push the date a bit, but don't get carried away.)

I went through my corner upper cabinet and tossed, tossed, tossed.  There were things in there that have been expired for years!  3 cans of old protein powder......2 Costco size containers of nuts (not full, just pushed to the back and forgotten), old medicine, bags of raisins from a long time ago, etc.....

The cabinet went from stuffed to almost empty!  WHOOHOO!

My fridge got cleaned out today.  All old food and expired jars of stuff tossed.

This all makes it much easier to start the pantry challenge.  I can SEE what is in there!

I know I have:

Cans of veggies....mostly green beans and corn

Several boxes of pasta

Pasta sauce

lots of chicken in the freezer.....breasts and quarters.  

Steak in freezer

Ground beef

tons of rice....brown, basmati, and Calrose......yikes, no way to eat all of that before we move

Lentils

Potatoes

shredded cheese

Naan

Tortillas

Ok, I put some pine nuts on my salad today. They were okay, but I didn't especially like them. I'll try to find something else to use them in.

try toasting them up.  It's super easy, you just have to watch because they'll burn quickly.  I toast mine either in the toaster oven or on the stove top - no need for oil or anything.  I like them better toasted up.

edited to add: oops, just noticed that someone else asked the same question

Edited by PrincessMommy

I went through my pantry today. 

I love the idea of putting things that need to be used up in a separate container.

I threw away some opened jelly that had been in there for a couple of years.  Why it was in the pantry and not the fridge, I'll never know... but I'm not tempting fate either.   Into the trash they went.

I have  3 containers of cocoa powder - all opened.  Sheesh.  I  don't cook with it that often.  They're all the good kind... maybe I'll combine them into one container.   Will the kitchen gods come slay me if I mix and match good Dutch cocoa powder?

From my pantry I made:

gluten/dairy free lemon poppy muffins from a mix (been there for over 6months) - meh.  won't buy again, but at least they're gone.

Madras Lentils.  I only used half- and I mix with rice (staple).  I make the rest tomorrow.  I like this, so I'll probably buy it again.

I have 2 boxes of gluten free baking mix.  I think I'll make up some pancakes tomorrow and start getting rid of it.

Found some Breyers Real Fruit topping (for ice cream) on the pantry shelf.  Never been opened.  Checked the date and it said 2014. 

So what do you think?  Toss or try?

I'd totally try it.

I really need to participate in this challenge. My pantry is stuffed and a mess. However, since I didn't see it until today and both my college students are off school and home tomorrow, it is unlikely that I'll start before Monday.

Edited by Momto2Ns

Okay, so I have those instant breakfast packets that no one here really likes.

I also found a half bag of mini marshmallows in the freezer.

I may have made hot cocoa cookies with them.

I may have taken advantage of the term "instant breakfast" and served them for the first meal of the day.

I may regret that later.

About a week before the OP started this thread I told dh and ds that dinners would be somewhat interesting as I attempt to clean out the freezer and pantry. So far though, I've been able to make fairly standard meals. Tonight was lentil soup. I make an Italian-American version that my mother used to make.

Pantry

- a teeny tiny bit less than 1 cup of lentils

- just over half of a 16 oz. bag of fine egg noodles - I usually use elbows for lentil soup but the point is to use what we have, right?

Refrigerator

-some baby carrots

-half of an onion

-fresh garlic

-a nice hunk of pecorino romano to grate on top

alas, no celery :(

Freezer*

-2 links of mild Italian sausage

-about 2 cups of frozen chopped spinach

-homemade chicken broth

Garden

-flat parsley

spices from the spice cabinet

*While I was in the freezer I found some cooked, seasoned, pulled pork and took it out for tomorrow. I haven't decided if I'll take the easy way out and serve it with bbq sauce and on buns, or do something else with it. I also came across pizza dough I made a while back. I do have a list of what's in my freezer but am not good about checking it or updating it.

We're making dosa now - we bought a new crepe pan but they're sticking and tempers are flaring and I'm hiding in the bedroom while dh tries. Oh dear. Still, that used up the rava dosa mix and the sambar mix and half the green raita mix (which no one likes so will throw the rest). As I made masala dosa I also used most of the old potatoes in the fridge.

My list entering the new week:

1/2 bag of polenta

French-style green lentils

Red lentils

Pasta flour

Chana dahl

Urid dahl

1/2 bag corn meal (pap or putu in South Africa)

Couscous

Thai sticky rice

Butter chicken masala

Vietnamese rice paper wraps

French lentils and polenta will get used this week, some sticky rice and maybe some rice paper wraps.

Defrosted and heated the pulled pork. I have a lot of BBQ sauce because I stocked up when Sweet Baby Ray's went BOGO, so we're having it as BBQ sandwiches. Bought hamburger buns and cole slaw. I also had stocked up on family size tea bags when they were BOGO so I made sweet tea.

I found a mix for lemon bars in the pantry, and made them this afternoon.

• Like 1

Defrosted and heated the pulled pork. I have a lot of BBQ sauce because I stocked up when Sweet Baby Ray's went BOGO, so we're having it as BBQ sandwiches. Bought hamburger buns and cole slaw. I also had stocked up on family size tea bags when they were BOGO so I made sweet tea.

I found a mix for lemon bars in the pantry, and made them this afternoon.

We just finished up our Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce! I bought so much, I couldn't imagine a time where we wouldn't have it.  :tongue_smilie:

Now we need a break and we're trying health food brands.  The second they go on crazy sale, I'll buy them again. I just can't resist.

• Like 1

Today I made a cold orzo salad (with pine nuts  :thumbup1: ), using up a whole large jar of the orzo. It was delicious and we plan on eating this meal through the warmer months!

My daughter made one of the old lemon jello boxes. One more to go. :)

She also baked an Irish spiced fruit bread. She used up a whole jar of funky old raisins, the dried cherries, and a few other things from the pantry box. The recipe was pretty good, and went down nicely with a cup of tea. 

This might end up being the funnest thing we do over vacation!

ETA: Funnest... is that a word?? My heart says NO!!  :lol:

Edited by helena
  • Like 1

The only thing I found today that needs a creative use is the instant breakfast packets. Maybe I'll just save those for fake/banana ice cream this summer.

We use these to get extra calories into our ds, they may not be to your taste, but I just thought I'd put it out there.

Breakfast Shakes (makes 2)

Fill blender with ice cubes - leave just enough room at the top to put the rest of the ingredients in

Add 1/2 c vanilla low fat Greek yogurt (you can substitute plain yogurt and sweeten with honey if you prefer)

Add milk or milk substitute until the ice and yogurt are covered.

Add 2 packets of breakfast drink mix

Add sliced fresh fruit or frozen fruit, filling the blender to the fill line.

Blend until smooth.

Sometimes I add an extra touch:

When strawberries,are,the fruit, I add a drizzle,of chocolate syrup to the top of the glass after it is poured. With bananas, I add a,teaspoon of fresh peanut butter to the blender before mixing.

I have t had success doing this with pineapple or melons. ive wondered if I purĂƒÂ©ed them first, then added the rest of the ingredients in and then blended it together, if it would help, but I've never tried.

• Like 1