Menu

What fruit or nut trees should I plant?

maize

My kids have dug two big holes in the backyard, just for the fun of digging.

I keep looking at those holes through a permaculture lens and thinking I should plant some trees in them.

I've already got apricot, apple, pear, Asian pear, walnut, pistachio, almond, peach, nectarine, mulberry, and cherry trees.

The apricot trees get a lot of shade from the neighbors huge poplars, so I could plant another apricot (these holes are in nice non-shady spots). And if I can find another hardy almond variety (we are in zone 6b) it would be good, the tree we have is sort of self-fertile but would produce better if there were another variety in the vicinity. It does produce masses of gorgeous blossoms. I would really like a yellow nectarine variety as well, we have white nectarines and they aren't as flavorful.

So what do you all think? What should I plant? Anything I haven't thought of? (I wasn't planting to put in more trees this year, but those holes are just too tempting...)

I wish there were hardy avocado varieties...

Edited by maize

There are two main apricot fruiting seasons that are about a month apart, so if you really love apricots you might consider planting the one that you don't have.  That's what I'm going to do next; I have learned that homegrown apricots are as much better as store bought than homegrown tomatoes are.

We are in zone 8, and I have a lot of citrus.  I think if I were you I would look for a citrus on the cold hardy end of the scale, maybe an improved Meyer lemon--those are milder than store lemons and hold on the tree, so you can pick them year round if you don't have a super hard frost to make them rot.  

Two trees that I have that I really am enjoying are Wonderful pomegranites and Fuyu persimmons.  Those both hold on the tree for over a month of ripeness, and they are very good plus expensive in the stores.  I think your climate is too cold for a pomegranite, but the persimmon might be just the thing.  Fuyus are the ones shaped like little pumpkins that taste good while still firm.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Now I want an apricot tree. I think I'll have my kids dig a hole in the sunniest spot in my garden for fun, then tell dh I need an apricot tree to put in it. Maybe two holes. :D 

Dreaming of jam, and apricot baked goods, and dried apricots..... (And of not paying umpteen $$$ a lug....)

• Like 2

what you plant really, really, depends upon your climate.  in the west - the US agricultural zones aren't dependable - AT ALL.  it'd  look at the sunset zones - and figure it out from  there.  then you can decide what would you actually use.

• Like 1

I'm in 6b as well. I have neighbors with huge fig trees. The shape is almost a cross between a giant bush and a tree.

I don't think there are any outdoor edible citrus that grow here. There is an inedible orange that colonials grew as fencing for livestock bc of its huge thorns. Not what you want.

My plum and sour cherry trees have done very well with almost no care. I believe you could grow a variety of pomegranate but I have no idea how the fruit compares to store bought. Paw-paw?

How do you keep critters from eating your apples and pears? Squirrels take mine before they are even ripe! Grumble.

• Like 1

My husband grew up with lots of fruit trees. I think the zone might have been similar (though they could grow oranges, so maybe neighboring zones). Anyway, other things he liked having include fig, persimmon, pawpaw, and cherry. I am not sure how fussy prune trees are, but those were a big hit as well (no, they are not plum trees--prunes are a slimmer fruit and very, very sweet). I think tart cherries are quite care free. I've been told you should plant more than one variety for better flavor when they cross-pollinate, but I don't know how necessary that is. We are considering cherry trees at some point.

• Like 1

My husband grew up with lots of fruit trees. I think the zone might have been similar (though they could grow oranges, so maybe neighboring zones). Anyway, other things he liked having include fig, persimmon, pawpaw, and cherry. I am not sure how fussy prune trees are, but those were a big hit as well (no, they are not plum trees--prunes are a slimmer fruit and very, very sweet). I think tart cherries are quite care free. I've been told you should plant more than one variety for better flavor when they cross-pollinate, but I don't know how necessary that is. We are considering cherry trees at some point.

I was surprised when I learned that prune trees are different than plum!  We've picked them several times in the PNW and they are really great.  They were called Italian prunes.  They make a nice jam.

Apricots sound lovely.  We're in zone 5 - it can be prohibitive. :(  We planted about eight apple trees last year.  I'm not sure you can ever have enough apple trees?  I wish large peaches grew well here, but I don't think they do.  If I were choosing, I think I'd go with cherry or peach! ;)

• Like 1

I have a Sloe, or blackthorn bush, which is probably large enough for you to consider for a "tree" spot.  Though they seem to really shine in a hedge.  I had never heard of one in North America, so it took us a while to figure out what it was!

They are rather like small plums, not quite as sweet maybe.  They are great for all kinds of jams and preserves and cooking, most people dont eat them plain though my kids love them.  Best of all though is that you can make sloe gin and other steeped alcoholic drinks with them.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

No idea on the trees, but would you consider sending your kids this way? We need to dig a turtle pond before summer, so we've got lots of shoveling to do! :D

They would be delighted!

They want to dig the holes even deeper, then dig out a tunnel to connect them.

• Like 1

Can you grow pomegranates that far north?

Pecans?

We loved our plum tree.  The only thing I didn't love was that they ALL seemed to ripen at exactly the same time, and there was no way to eat them all soon enough, not even with five kids.  It was also really hard to keep the birds away  :tongue_smilie:

While living in the SW we planted quite a few fruit & nut trees. When we moved the person that bought our house allowed all of them to die :(  Yes, they even managed to kill the massive pecan tree.

• Like 1

Maize, what almond do you have? We're on the edge of 6b/7a on the east coast. My great-grandparents and their sons grew almonds commercially, and we used to visit them in the summers :)

The variety is All-in-One Almond, it is semi-dwarf. I planted it in 2011, so it is still young but does produce a few almonds every year. It was absolutely covered in blossoms last Spring, so pretty.