Menu

What? No Leap Day threads? Anybody doing anything special?

Kerileanne99

We went over why we have leap years and my kids are requesting special foods. My 5 year old was extra cute because he kept mixing up the name. "Can we have bamboo shoots? Hopping is like shooting because things shoot up in the air and come down. So bamboo shoots for the hop day please?"

• Like 1

It's our oldest grandson's 1st/4th birthday today! 

His party was Saturday because if they held it today he wouldn't get many guests. He has preschool today, and he has a Leap Day Kid tee shirt to wear to school. Dss and ddil plan to have a little special party at home for him today. He's too young to get it so as far as he's concerned Saturday was his big day. His next real birthday will be a bigger deal. He'll be 8 on his 2nd birthday and will be a little able to understand it better.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 6

I forgot it was a leap year. :/

I should have my students do some kind of writing prompt or something, but yeah...probably not going to happen. Whoops!

This is an older article but really cool...the writing prompt has them suggest their own solution to 'correcting' the calendar as well as the history of why we have a leap year:)

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/learning/2012/02/27/10-activities-for-learning-about-leap-year-and-other-calendar-oddities/?referer=

• Like 3

His party was Saturday because if they held it today he wouldn't get many guests. He has preschool today, and he has a Leap Day Kid tee shirt to wear to school. Dss and ddil plan to have a little special party at home for him today. He's too young to get it so as far as he's concerned Saturday was his big day. His next real birthday will be a bigger deal. He'll be 8 on his 2nd birthday and will be a little able to understand it better.

I just taught Alex how to identify a leap year with divisibility rules:) I am sure he will remember because of his bday, lol, but if the year is divisible by 4, it is a leap year. So by divisibility rules, if the last 2 digits are divisible by 4, it is a leap year: 2012, 2016, 2020, etc...

• Like 2

Not leap year related but I had new flooring put throughout the house on Tuesday

...which made me move every piece of furniture

....and while the furniture was moved, I figured I may as well paint the entire house while the old flooring was still there (didn't have to worry about drips)

.......and now I get to put it all back.

The broken foot is healing as well as possible.  The ligaments/muscles/whatever are still incredibly messed up and still swollen 4 weeks later.  But the two braces I had been given mess up my back and hips too much. And since they hurt worse than my foot, my foot is going bare.

It's DH's half birthday, so I made soda bread for him to bring as a birthday treat to his office (very small, close-knit office, birthday treats are common) and I'm making brownies for dessert. I didn't put anything together for school about why we have leap day, but maybe we'll research that this afternoon.

Just relaxing and praying that my baby doesn't want to be born today. I should be stocking my freezer.

I had a baby born a few days after leap day in 2012. I spent February 29th with my legs crossed 😀.

It's not so terrible. Why the worry? It can be fun. See my quote from an earlier post below. We have a little guy celebrating today. Every four years you get an extra special birthday.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 4

It's not so terrible. Why the worry? It can be fun. See my quote from an earlier post below. We have a little guy celebrating today. Every four years you get an extra special birthday.

I never thought much about being born on the 29th in a leap year until someone told me how it messes her up at places like the DMV where they evidently don't know how to deal with people who have birthdays only every 4 years.  :laugh:

• Like 1

We also spent a few minutes writing out some questions we have about our next four years, meant to be read together next leap year. I hope we remember.

Examples:

Will I be able to lift 50 pounds?

Will I reach my weight loss goal?

Will I have a mustache?

• Like 2