Menu

. . .when our momma sang us to sleep, but now we're stretched out.

Miss Peregrine

Just had my 15yo translate those lyrics for me the other day in the car, lol.

Not a song, but when my DS was younger he asked me about President "Broccoli Bama."

Oh, and my DH used to think "Spirits in the material world," (By The Police, for all you youngsters out there...) was "there are spirits in my cheerios..."

• Like 5

there were a lot of lyrics I didn't know until the internet.

REO Speedwagon for example.

Did you know the real words are:

You should have seen by the look in my eyes, baby

There was somethin' missin'
You should have known by the tone of my voice, maybe
But you didn't listen
You played dead, but you never bled
Instead you laid still in the grass, all coiled up and hissin'

I honestly have no idea what I THOUGHT the lyrics were, but it wasn't that!  I think I just mumbled through and said something like, "instead you lay stealing' the glass, all curled up and hessin (no idea what hessin means but that is what I heard so I sang it.)

• Like 8

there were a lot of lyrics I didn't know until the internet.

REO Speedwagon for example.

Did you know the real words are:

You should have seen by the look in my eyes, baby

There was somethin' missin'

You should have known by the tone of my voice, maybe

But you didn't listen

You played dead, but you never bled

Instead you laid still in the grass, all coiled up and hissin'

I honestly have no idea what I THOUGHT the lyrics were, but it wasn't that!  I think I just mumbled through and said something like, "instead you lay stealing' the glass, all curled up and hessin (no idea what hessin means but that is what I heard so I sang it.)

Oh wow! I knew the "you played dead, but you never bled," but thought it then said, "instead you lay still in the grass, all caught up in innocence." Lol. Learned something today. 

• Like 4

My 8 and 9 year olds think The King is Exhausted   :laugh:  (from The King is Exalted)

Snort.

In the song The Maker, one line is "I love the Maker and the Maker loves me."  For whatever reason, that second "love" sounds to DD's ear like "loathes."  We howl whenever that song comes on!  "He loathes me!  He looooooathes me!" :lol:

• Like 6

Our church summer camp mashes different songs to sing around the campfire. One song is- Lord Prepare Me to be a Sanctuary/ combined with the refrain from I Exalt Thee.

When my ds was 6, he sang the refrain-

Quiet Zombies-

I have no idea! (We don't sing it very often, but when we do, it's still quiet zombies.)

• Like 3

When my dear nephew was a toddler, the song "You Give Love a Bad Name" was popular. He sung it "You give love a Band-Aid!" :D

And this was is not a song, but last year, my youngest DS revealed that he thought the job name for people employed at the movie theater aisles was "Hushers." Sensible.

• Like 6

My mom's name was Lorraine and some of her friends called her Lori. She used to think George Harrison was singing "My Sweet Lori" when it was actually "My Sweet Lord". 

Old country song Rub it In starts out with "Lie beside me on the sand". I used to think he was singing Lobby sobby on the sand. 

I can't think of any that ds sang. My mother was an adult and I was a teenager when we sang our misheard lyrics. :D

Speaking of 21 Pilots, ds and some friends are going to go see them in Orlando this summer. He's pretty excited.

• Like 1

When my 8 year old was little, Lady GaGa's "Bad Romance" was blaring out of every place we went, it seemed. He used to tell me seriously that those Romans were very mean to the Gauls and killed a lot of them, so they were very "Bad Romans". Too many historical readalouds :)

• Like 11

I used to think this:

Been working so hard
I'm punching my card
Eight hours for what
Oh, tell me what I got

was this:

Been working so hard
I'm punching my card
Hey Earl for what?
Oh, tell me what I got

I always assumed he was asking his co-worker Earl why they had to work so hard for nothing. I won't say when I learned what the real lyrics were :blushing:

• Like 4

I don't remember any kid funnies at the moment, but at some point my wife was talking about how some people (on the internet) were upset about some kids (not ours) singing Ex's and Oh's, and I was like, but why? I had not been listening too closely to the song, had missed half the lyrics, and thought the x's and o's were like in those you put at the end of a letter to loved ones:

xoxoxo

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

You know the song "Drift Away" (give the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock n roll and drift away....).  My oldest would belt out "give the meatballs that feed my soul..."

When my youngest was around 18 months old, he would run around in circles singing "baby rung rung, baby rung rung" and we had no idea what he was doing/saying (my mom was actually concerned about this behavior).  One day in the car the song "You spin me right round baby right round, like a record baby right round round round" comes on and he started yelling "Baby rung rung!"  Mystery solved.

• Like 8

My mom's name was Lorraine and some of her friends called her Lori. She used to think George Harrison was singing "My Sweet Lori" when it was actually "My Sweet Lord".

Old country song Rub it In starts out with "Lie beside me on the sand". I used to think he was singing Lobby sobby on the sand.

I can't think of any that ds sang. My mother was an adult and I was a teenager when we sang our misheard lyrics. :D

Speaking of 21 Pilots, ds and some friends are going to go see them in Orlando this summer. He's pretty excited.

Lucky! We tried so long to get tickets and couldn't. They need more shows!

I don't remember any kid funnies at the moment, but at some point my wife was talking about how some people (on the internet) were upset about some kids (not ours) singing Ex's and Oh's, and I was like, but why? I had not been listening too closely to the song, had missed half the lyrics, and thought the x's and o's were like in those you put at the end of a letter to loved ones:

xoxoxo

My daughter's dance teacher decided to do this song for recital for the 9-11 yo. She even wrote the song as X's and O's. We had to explain to her it was Ex's and Oh's. Unfortunately, it was too late to do much about it. The kids love the dance but I still snicker every time. Thankfully, the kids are oblivious.

You know the song "Drift Away" (give the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock n roll and drift away....).  My oldest would belt out "give the meatballs that feed my soul..."

When my youngest was around 18 months old, he would run around in circles singing "baby rung rung, baby rung rung" and we had no idea what he was doing/saying (my mom was actually concerned about this behavior).  One day in the car the song "You spin me right round baby right round, like a record baby right round round round" comes on and he started yelling "Baby rung rung!"  Mystery solved.

:lol: :lol: :lol:  I like the meatball version better!

• Like 3

When I was a kid I thought the Phil Colins song "Do You Remember" said "do you remember dinosaurs" instead of "do you remember? Now it's over."

My sister used to belt out "Beaver world" instead of "feed the world" in the song "Do they know it's Christmas time."