Menu

May I whine a bit?

JFSinIL

My throat hurts. Really hurts. Bad strep hurts. But I am not ill. No, yesterday I went in for a THIRD attempt to get an oddment out of my lower right lung (probably aspirated during the car crash May 2014 - since it is noted in the CT reports we only JUST got from the first hospital I was taken to before my helicopter ride, but I digress*). Go to St. Joe's. IV, and another poke to reach a deep artery to keep an eye on blood gas (?whatever). Into OR, nightly night...wake up in recovery to find the thoracic surgeon had to abort the mission since once they deflated my right lung (apparently poking into it from the side would make me fly around the room like a leaking balloon if not deflated first) made my left lung cranky and jealous from lack of attention (hey,it had a breathing tube, wasn't that enough?) so it kept deciding I didn't need air. So I have the awful sore throat (really hurts to swallow) from having several plastic tubes scrapping their way in, without my "door prize" of whatever is still logging in my right lung. Next stop - either Loyola or UC University hospitals, not that I need major surgery, but I need the contraptions they use during major heart/lung surgeries to keep my oxygen levels up enough just to remove a tiny doohicky from the right lung! ##@%^**(#&%$#!!!!
Oh, and my right hand is still swollen as a second IV they stuck in my other hand

while I was in la-la land went wonky and filled my hand with fluid.

* I was helicoptered that day to a large hospital before my CT scans taken after I reached the  ER had been read, so only cd of x-rays went with me.  Last week I was close enough to stop in and ask for my COMPLETE records from that day from hospital number 1 - and as I skimmed the written report while waiting for the cd of all my x-ray AND cat scans to be made I noticed that the results of my CT scans reported a definite object seen in my right lower lung!!!  Had this report and/or scan been sent after me to the second hospital, I betcha they could have gotten the doohickey out before the tissue around it got so swollen, saving me over a year of asthma treatments (I do not have asthma, I have a doohicky making me wheeze!) the two failed bronchoscopies and yesterday's disaster, not to mention whatever comes next. Grrrrr!

Edited by JFSinIL

With all that going on for so long, all you want to do is whine?  I'm pretty sure I'd be wanting to do quite a bit more than whine...  :grouphug:.  I whine over considerably less.  I do more over considerably less.

I really hope you feel better soon and they're able to get the doohickey out helping with total recovery.

• Like 5

How frustrating!  Last spring my dad went in for a surgery to remove a painful blockage in his leg.  He aspirated when they put the tube in, and woke up on a breathing tube with no surgery accomplished.  Boy, was he mad!  

To go through all that and accomplish nothing...how frustrating!   :grouphug:

• Like 1

If the doohickey proves to be something from the crash, then it probably would have been easy to remove if done while I was at the second hospital for two weeks, before having over a year to make surrounding lung tissue cranky and swollen. In which case, you betcha I am ticked off, and want to sue for our out-of-pocket expenses for asthma and all these procedures it is taking to remove said doohickey. IF it proves to be something already in the lung, well, still, the first hospital should have forwarded that info so the second hospital could have either taken care of it, or let us know to get it removed once I had recovered more from the crash injuries. sigh.

Edited by JFSinIL

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: That really sucks. 

Indeed. And I believe this is the strongest sentiment I have ever seen Jean express here.  :)

Back to your issue...can you soothe the throat tissue with a little honey? Can you get some lozenges that would numb the area a bit?

I am so sorry you are still dealing with the aftermath of that horrible accident. I do remember your first post after it happened.

Schedule the procedure immediately at a hospital where they can take care of you properly and get it over with.

I am all for getting unpleasant things behind me.

• Like 1

Honestly, the standard procedure, which works in most cases, is a flexible bronchoscopy. Alas, the doohickey did not care to be dislodged, so a second bronchoscopy was done after several days of prednisone to calm the swollen lung tissue. That this second bronc. did not succeed was not typical. Well, the thoracic surgeon can sneak in via a small side incision and get it out...which of course never happened since my left lung got fed up from all the attention giving to the right lung and decided not to work properly. Were I a normal person, that first bronc. would have been successful, but nooooo...I have to be the oddball case. ;-)

How awful and frustrating!  I am so sorry you are having to go through this.  I wonder if it wouldn't be simpler to go in through the chest wall instead of attempting another bronchoscopy.  Either way I very much hope the next attempt is successful!!

that is what they tried to do, but once they deflated the right lung so it could be cut into to remove the object, my "good" lung decided to cause problems despite being intubated or whatever the term is.