Menu

I. just. can't. do. it....

I only push chunks off the plates. Otherwise, in they go. I don't have time to rinse. Besides, I came from a house where my dm (dear mom) not only rinsed, but practically washed and sanitized the plates prior to putting them in the dishwasher, so I have "issues" with rinsing plates.

If they come out dirty (rarely), then they get a quick soak while I pile more dishes into the dishwasher, then in they go again.

Let it be known, however, that I do rinse out my baking dishes if i put them in the dishwasher. But, I usually don't put those in the dishwasher. I hand wash those. I hate baked on black gunk that doesn't come off.

Nope...another scraper here.

In fact, I've read that the dishwashing detergents these days are so powerful, that it's better for your dishes if there's a little "crud" on them. It protects the finish. Sounds wacky, but I've never needed to rinse.

Now, if I could just get my boys (who do dinner dishes) to do a little better job scraping, I wouldn't have to clean out the trap so often.

Janet

Besides, I came from a house where my dm (dear mom) not only rinsed, but practically washed and sanitized the plates prior to putting them in the dishwasher, so I have "issues" with rinsing plates.

This is part of my problem, too. I'm rebelling. At 32 :001_huh:.

I scrape the plates and put them in.

I have a Bosch and since getting it (about 5 years ago) I've found that I HAVE to leave some dirt on the plates or the detergent will etch my plates. Seriously! I don't know if it's because it has an on-board heater, or if the washing action is so strong, or what. But after ruining a few dishes right away I looked online for info and found out that I could use a lot less detergent than usual and also that it was best to not rinse the dishes too much.

Convincing my husband not to pre-wash things, though, has been a battle. So now you know who the (COUGHanal-retentiveCOUGH) conscientious one is at our house. :)

Every time someone else does my dishes they are dirty when they come out. Mine have to be rinsed. I got a new dishwasher. It worked great for the first load, but we tried piling stuff in after that and they don't get clean. Or one nasty dish put in at the last minute will get a bunch of nice rinsed dishes newly dirty with dried on gunk!!

I have no idea how people get away with not rinsing. Makes me jealous! Do you run it twice a day??

I pretty much wash my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher, however...

not only can I NOT rinse (that's the way my mom did it, so) but our dishwasher is old and barely does the job if I don't prewash. If I had a better washer, I'd probably make sure all the big chunks are off, but wouldn't worry too much about the goo stuff (you know what I mean).

I don't have a kitchenaid, but I do, I do, want to try... not tonite though.

THere really is no time like the present!

Edited to add that I don't think the KA is a requirement. You just need to have something slightly better than the one we had before, which was a toy dishwasher the builder tried to pass off for a real one ;) .

If we just finished dinner and I'm going to run the dishwasher, no I don't rinse them. Also, if it's not something that will actually cake on when drying, I don't rinse. After trial and error, I know the kinds of foods that need rinsing, and honestly, most of them do not need rinsing.

This is so funny. I was thinking of doing a poll on this as I rinsed my dishes tonight. I lightly rinse but dh actually washes them before putting them in the dishwasher. "The dishwasher is not for washing dishes. It is for sanitizing them." And he also refuses to put plastic items in the dishwasher. According to him, they will melt (but we use the air dry setting!) and if the plastic cups flip over and hold water, then they are holding germs and come out dirtier than they went in. (But how can they be holding germs if a dishwasher sanitizes the dishes?!) Can you tell we go round and round about this? :lol: Drives me nuts! :D

They all wash the dishes before they put them in the dishwasher. They think that the point of a dishwasher is to sanitize the dishes. I have tried to explain that there is a reason that it is called a dishwasher but my logic falls on deaf ears. SO glad to hear the little known fact about the new detergents. Another weapon is my arsenal. Mwha-ha-ha. :sneaky2:

When we got our new dw last year, the installer told me to rinse the dishes even though the manual says it is not necessary. He said it would make the dw last longer and need fewer repairs.

I don't rinse every dish, just the ones that need it - no little bits of food go into my dishwasher if I can help it. Tiny particles, like bread crumbs and debris from sauces do.

I absolutely refuse. If I have a machine to do the work, by gum, I am not doing any of it!

In fact, I have run it twice rather than pre-wash. :D

Makes my Mom and Mom in law nuts, they wash, soap, water the whole deal then put them in!!!! I do not get it.

Then again, I hate doing dishes so much I have entertained the notion of letting the dog lick them clean.:lol::lol::lol:

I can't not rinse the dishes before putting it in the dishwasher. Do you? My sister tells me that I can, but I just can't do it.

It really depends on your dishwasher. If it is fairly new, you can just push the big chunks off and put them in. If it is an older model, you probably need to rinse. Of course, if they are going to sit in there a while, rinsing is best. My dishes rarely sit. That thing is run all the time.

Nope. I just can't do it either. Then again, I always joke that dishes are my downfall. It's the one thing in the house that I just can't seem to get the hang of cleaning. We recently replaced our ancient dishwasher to a brand spanking new one and I'm amazed at the difference it makes! We have clean dishes again!

I can't not rinse the dishes before putting it in the dishwasher. Do you? My sister tells me that I can, but I just can't do it.

they do get cleaner if they're rinsed/soaked before putting in the dishwasher.

I didn't like doing it either, but neither do I like re-washing bowls that have dried on food. I always have a sinkful of dirties and it's hard to stay caught-up if I'm re-doing my work.

A happy compromise here is to soak. Run some water over the dishes as they're put into the sink. Hey, it's water conservation and rinsing--beat that sis!

You can do it! A little effort and you get better results.

because your detergent needs fat etc. to activate it in the cycle. If you rinse it all away you might as well not use detergent and the dishwasher will sanitize it. That is what I was told. I scrape, but no rinsing here. What kind of dishwasher do you have?

I have a whirlpool. I will just scrape today and see what happens. :001_smile: