Menu

My baby just turned 14 (cake picture included)

Jann in TX

Can't believe that my baby just turned 14... she had about 10 friends over for a party-- everyone brought donations for the local food pantry it was great not having the 'token gift' mess to deal with (and the food pantry is always low this time of year).

On a funny note-- her oldest sister (25 yrs old) came over for the party and mentioned that my grey sweater matched my grey hair perfectly...  time to visit the hairdresser!

Here is a picture of her cake-- this year's theme was 'steam punk'.  I decided on the octopus at 11pm last night-- stayed up until 1am but he came out cute!  The gears are out of chocolate and are dusted with a metallic edible dust.  The octopus and roses are gumpaste -- dd will keep them around for a while.  Top cake was chocolate fudge with a semi-sweet chocolate ganache filling, bottom cake was white velvet (doctored cake mix recipe in post# 23)  with a white chocolate ganache filling.  Both were topped with buttercream and marshmallow fondant.  The goggles and the pocket watch were borrowed from DH...

post-508-0-63393900-1454123550_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-63393900-1454123550_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 31

I made the cake over a 5 day period... just a bit every day (well a few hours Thursday night and Friday morning!).

You could say I was 'homeschooled' for cake decorating.  I did take a class at a vo-tech center 30 years ago (after a HUGE cake-wreck DH signed me up for a class as a 1st anniversary present).  All of the techniques used on this cake I learned by watching You-Tube videos (I learned the rose from a Craftsy online course).  DD made about half of the gears and dusted/colored most of them.

White-velvet is basically red-velvet but no food dye (dd is allergic to red dye).  Think white cake with sour cream and/or buttermilk for a slight tang.

• Like 1

Can't believe that my baby just turned 14... she had about 10 friends over for a party-- everyone brought donations for the local food pantry it was great not having the 'token gift' mess to deal with (and the food pantry is always low this time of year).

On a funny note-- her oldest sister (25 yrs old) came over for the party and mentioned that my grey sweater matched my grey hair perfectly...  time to visit the hairdresser!

Here is a picture of her cake-- this year's theme was 'steam punk'.  I decided on the octopus at 11pm last night-- stayed up until 1am but he came out cute!  The gears are out of chocolate and are dusted with a metallic edible dust.  The octopus and roses are gumpaste -- dd will keep them around for a while.  Top cake was chocolate fudge with a semi-sweet chocolate ganache filling, bottom cake was white velvet with a white chocolate ganache filling.  Both were topped with buttercream and marshmallow fondant.  The goggles and the pocket watch were borrowed from DH...

attachicon.gifsm cake e14.jpg

OMG!! I love it!  I love steampunk... fabulous job, BTW.

I made the cake over a 5 day period... just a bit every day (well a few hours Thursday night and Friday morning!).

You could say I was 'homeschooled' for cake decorating.  I did take a class at a vo-tech center 30 years ago (after a HUGE cake-wreck DH signed me up for a class as a 1st anniversary present).  All of the techniques used on this cake I learned by watching You-Tube videos (I learned the rose from a Craftsy online course).  DD made about half of the gears and dusted/colored most of them.

White-velvet is basically red-velvet but no food dye (dd is allergic to red dye).  Think white cake with sour cream and/or buttermilk for a slight tang.

That makes it even more amazing. I'm so uncreative in this way, I literally can't even fathom being able to create something like that on the fly. It just doesn't compute :lol:

A little OT, but do you have a particular recipe you use for your white velvet cake? Our traditional family cake is red velvet, but my DD reacts badly to red dye, so my mom used the same recipe but left out the red dye. It wasn't quite the same--it was drier, and the color was an unappealing brown (not that we didn't put a serious hurting on it anyway, but I know she'd love to improve it if she could!).

White Velvet Cake (can be any flavor)

1 boxed cake mix of choice flavor**--for White Velvet I use French Vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 cup cake flour (regular all-purpose flour will also work)
1/8 tsp (2 pinches) of salt

1 cup sour cream or vanilla yogurt (fat free is OK but I prefer low fat or regular)
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)  use only real butter (salted or unsalted)
1 1/3 cups milk (or buttermilk-- you can also add a tsp of vinegar to regular milk)
3 eggs (slightly beaten)
1tsp vanilla extract

Stir dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients and mix on medium speed (low if using a heavy duty mixer like a KitchenAid).

Pour into prepared pans (I grease with Crisco then dust with flour).  If using cake pans-- wrap cake bands * (wet) around pan before adding batter.

Bake at 335 F until center springs back. (lower temp helps cake bake more evenly)

I will get around 30 cupcakes or (2) 9-in cake layers

2 batches will make a 12X18 cake

Hint-- for cupcakes use FOIL lined liners.  Paper liners will work but the cake will show through and final product will look ‘greasy’ (colors will not be as bright). 

* cake wraps are a metallic/fabric band about 1.5 inches wide that you wet then wrap and fasten around the cake pan.  This is the secret to level moist cakes!  You can get these at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, most Walmart stores.  They are great and last for years!

**  Do not follow directions on cake box.  This recipe is a substitute.
For a good chocolate cake I use Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Fudge

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 1